Menu

Anyone familiar with Georgia mountain towns outside Atlanta?

matrips

We have a place in Colorado I bought twenty five years ago, but it is so far from where we now live (Florida).  I'm looking into selling that and buying a closer getaway/rental home.  The mountains of Georgia would be within a day's drive.

However, I am not at all familiar with Georgia or the mountain towns north of Atlanta.  Is anyone?  Ideally, I'd like to find a place in an area that is popular for rentals (either tourists from out of town, or weekenders from Atlanta). I'd want to rent it out when we are not using it.   A nice mountain town, typical mountain activities (biking, hiking, fishing, rafting maybe etc).

And if anyone has any real estate contacts or rental management ones, that's a bonus! :)

If you know of anything that would fit, would you mind including what you know about it?   Thank you so much!

I have a house for sale in Big Canoe. It is an hour 15 from Atlanta (depending on what side and time of day); it is a great community with lots of ammenities like golf, swimming, hiking, boating... I LOVE it there and wish we could keep the house. We need a bigger place to fit our family. I am sure it would rent well. Let me know if you want more information. 

• Like 2

I think the towns that are accessible from 400 and 75 (so up the western side of the state) are a bit more popular. It seems that way. That is more Dawsoknville over to Ellijay/Blue Ridge.

We always go up the eastern side of the state, up 441 through Clayton, GA, into Franklin, NC. Cashiers and Highlands, NC, Dillard and Mountain City, GA.

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 1

Clarkesville and Clayton are nice as well. US Hwy 441 is a fairly new, large road that provides convenient access to ATL. There are several small towns/communities along and near Lake Seed and Lake Rabun that have both lakeside and Mountain views. Hiking, biking, canoeing and rafting are all nearby. Decent restaurant and grocery shopping.

• Like 2

There are a number of cabin rental agencies in Blue Ridge and Elijah that could probably give you good advice. I know people who rent cabins there both summer and winter, but I have no idea how many weeks that works out to for the average cabin. I know more and more people who own cabins in BR as their second homes—probably a result of my friends finally being old enough to do so comfortably. Blue Ridge is my favorite of the mountain towns I have visited, but I have not been to Dahlonega in ages/. My sense, though, is that it is an up-and-comer as far as tourist towns go. Plus, Dahlonega has U of North Georgia, which seems to be growing. I have no idea whether these perceptions are correct—it may just be that I know or know of more college-aged kids these days.

• Like 1

People still visit and rent in the winter. That area has access to the AT. We like to do day hiking all year long. We live close enough that we can just drive up in the morning & have time to do a hike. Lots of state and federal parks in the area. All the areas I mentioned are NW. The NE also has some nice areas but I'm not as familiar with that area. Tullulah Gorge is over that way. 

• Like 1