Menu

Looking for good speech to text program for Windows.

J-rap

My dh needs this for his speech recovery.  His iPad had a good built-in one, but he now has upgraded to a laptop (yay -- this is a real achievement!!) which is a Del, and the included text to speech part doesn't seem to work well with his halting voice. 

Can anyone recommend a good speech to text program I can download to his Del?

Thanks!

my sons school gives each child a google account. The speach to text is adequate but its nice because the kiddos keep all their typed assignments in folders in the drive.  It has google slides etc.  He could continue to use the ipad for text to speach and just download the google drive app. Then he could edit this in his laptop.  there are some big advantages in that it keeps all the writing in one place and has a full integrated word processor. It exports easily to other programs like word and powerpoint. I have a google email for business only and store my business documents in that drive exclusively. 

What is the name of the one on the ipad? I will have to look for it. I am trying to find one that can understand my son and train to his pronunciation. The google speach to text works for me but not my son.  

Edited by exercise_guru
  • Like 1

my sons school gives each child a google account. The speach to text is adequate but its nice because the kiddos keep all their typed assignments in folders in the drive.  It has google slides etc.  He could continue to use the ipad for text to speach and just download the google drive app. Then he could edit this in his laptop.  there are some big advantages in that it keeps all the writing in one place and has a full integrated word processor. It exports easily to other programs like word and powerpoint. I have a google email for business only and store my business documents in that drive exclusively. 

What is the name of the one on the ipad? I will have to look for it. I am trying to find one that can understand my son and train to his pronunciation. The google speach to text works for me but not my son.  

Actually, that's an excellent idea.  He has been using google docs for documents on his Del, but of course he could first dictate it into google docs on his iPad.  Why didn't I think of that!?   :)  The speech to text on the iPad is just the one that comes with it.  I don't even think I had to activate it.  It's just automatically part of the keypad.  You click on the mic to turn it on.  

Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by J-rap

Welcome

If he has good enunciation the google speach to text will work nicely for him. It is integrated in google docs in the drive. My son misses some of his R's and so it so far has not been very successful for us.  Also I have heard that the livescribe pen does a pretty good job at converting lectures to text. I am working to get permission for my son to use that in junior high. I am sure the technology can only get better and better. 

• Like 1

Welcome

If he has good enunciation the google speach to text will work nicely for him. It is integrated in google docs in the drive. My son misses some of his R's and so it so far has not been very successful for us.  Also I have heard that the livescribe pen does a pretty good job at converting lectures to text. I am working to get permission for my son to use that in junior high. I am sure the technology can only get better and better. 

His enunciation is hit and miss.  He is fighting apraxia, so that sometimes throws off his enunciation.  Also, the pauses between his words gets interpreted weirdly.  We've actually tried the google speech to text, but it didn't seem to work very well with him, which surprised us since the iPad speech to text seemed to work quite well all in all.

Thank you so much for posting this because Santa brought mom an ipad and we are so going to try the speach feature on it. This is my first apple product this could really help my son. His teacher is annoyed that I scribe his rough draft she is fine with speech to text and would let him use it. I assured her that when I scribe I literally type what he says and do not add proper spelling and punctuation. I try to be as close to a dumb google S2Text as I can. 

please post if this works for you and if you have any other good ipad stuff/software stuff I would love that as well. I am looking into the inspiration software for the PC or for the ipad they have both. That was recommend by another parent to help my son organize his writing. I am hoping to use it with some kind of speech to text to get my son a rough draft. 

This year I am really working to help him compose his thoughts into sentences and paragraphs and handwriting/typing gets in the way. 

Edited by exercise_guru

Thank you so much for posting this because Santa brought mom an ipad and we are so going to try the speach feature on it. This is my first apple product this could really help my son. His teacher is annoyed that I scribe his rough draft she is fine with speech to text and would let him use it. I assured her that when I scribe I literally type what he says and do not add proper spelling and punctuation. I try to be as close to a dumb google S2Text as I can. 

please post if this works for you and if you have any other good ipad stuff/software stuff I would love that as well. I am looking into the inspiration software for the PC or for the ipad they have both. That was recommend by another parent to help my son organize his writing. I am hoping to use it with some kind of speech to text to get my son a rough draft. 

This year I am really working to help him compose his thoughts into sentences and paragraphs and handwriting/typing gets in the way. 

The iPad speech to text is so far the best we have found.  I think it even adds periods sometimes.  Of course he often has to say a word over again, but overall it does quite well compared to other programs we have tried.  I hope it works for your ds.  Maybe he can try out your mother's iPad.  

My dh is able to go back to what his iPad speech to text wrote and correct or add punctuation himself.

I'm going to check out that Visualization software.  Thanks for the recommendation!  I can't think of anything else to suggest right now, but if I come up with something I'll let you know!  

• Like 1

Wow I had my entire family read a passage into the ipad  last night and this speach to text was very good. Much easier. It wasn't perfect for my son but was a vast improvement over google. I have a lavalier mic that goes with the ipad I might try this to see if it works better. I am the one who asked santa for the ipad. I didn't tell my husband it was for homeschool because he always wants me to get things for myself. I do a lot for my kids and don't ask for things myself. In any case I hope that if I only let my son use the speach program it will adapt to his pronunciation. 

I have also heard of  

It looks like it works in Word  but the education license is around 100. I am not sure how to qualify for that discount and I am not sure how it would work with my son. There is a home license on Amazon for less than that. The reviews on amazon state that it is not nearly as accurate as the ipad OS but it seemed to be the software most recommended for windows. The reviews did say the install was a pain. I couldn't read anything about it working well for kiddos with annunciation challenges. 

Edited by exercise_guru
  • Like 1

I just wanted to update. I was in a shop the yesterday that had dragonspeakingnaturally one user basic for 25 dollars( It was clearanced and also had been marked down since only the basic verysion). I am attempting to install it on our windows 10 machine in my sons account. I will  post a review once my son has used it. 

• Like 1

Wow I had my entire family read a passage into the ipad  last night and this speach to text was very good. Much easier. It wasn't perfect for my son but was a vast improvement over google. I have a lavalier mic that goes with the ipad I might try this to see if it works better. I am the one who asked santa for the ipad. I didn't tell my husband it was for homeschool because he always wants me to get things for myself. I do a lot for my kids and don't ask for things myself. In any case I hope that if I only let my son use the speach program it will adapt to his pronunciation. 

I have also heard of  

It looks like it works in Word  but the education license is around 100. I am not sure how to qualify for that discount and I am not sure how it would work with my son. There is a home license on Amazon for less than that. The reviews on amazon state that it is not nearly as accurate as the ipad OS but it seemed to be the software most recommended for windows. The reviews did say the install was a pain. I couldn't read anything about it working well for kiddos with annunciation challenges. 

Thanks for the update!  I'm really glad the iPad text to speech worked quite well for your son.  I'm curious about the Dragon program.  I've heard of that one, and will be curious to hear what you think of it. 

I saw that timberly I am going to see what the trial period is like. It's really which program can understand my sons pronounciation. I think the trial is 5 dollars a month so I would have to look at it. Please post updates we really need a good solution to gwt my son writing.

Edited by exercise_guru

With the ones that require an internet connection, their can be a bit of delay?  As the speech is sent to the companies server, processed and sent back.  So that you need to have a good internet connection.

Also with Dragon, it it has a 'training' element.  To teach it to recognise how one speaks.  Which is a bit of nuisance to start with, but results in more accuracy.  One way to do this, is to download a page of the 42 Phonemes, which usually have multiple words using those phonemes. Those words can be used, to teach it how one pronounces each phoneme in words. This can also overcome speech difficulties, as long as one is consistent in the way they produce sounds. 

It can also adapt to the change in a child's voice, as they grow.  

One other important thing with Dragon, is that the Training is saved as a separate file.

• Like 1