Menu

US History for middle school

Tink123

We did WTM style, but chose a basic topic a month.  We used the KHE, SOTW3-4 (pulled appropriate chapters,) lots of library books, and an original source JackDaws packet as recommended in the older WTMs. 

So to start the year we started with the Jackdaws. We did a Revolutionary War packet. The next month we did the Constitution. Then we just moved forward in time. I found a good spine book for each month's topics at the library. We read stacks of picture books alongside the spines and some chapters of SOTW. We outlined the spine books and the KHE. We put dates on timelines. They each read appropriate literature (Frederick Douglass autobiography for the 8th grader for precivil  war literature, Little Women for the 6th grader who also read a smaller biography of Douglass.) They each chose a topic each month to read on further and wrote a summary for the appropriate tab of their WTM style binder with the tabs. 

• Like 1

History of US concise edition with weekly summaries and discussions and a couple of projects from the Hewitt syllabus was perfect for my 8th and 6th grade boys to do together. They still remember what they learned from those books!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

We love Oxford university press books for the Ancient world.  My son completes the readings and writes a few summaries a week on a topic I assign.  (It would also work well for narrations, but it does have a lot of detail and is less narrative.) He them attaches a picture of his choosing and compiles of them, including maps in a book of centuries.  We will cover three books this year for 6th grade: Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and Greece.  I wish we had time for more.  They are very in depth and have lots of interesting art and pictures. My kid loves them and I feel like they are more in depth than a lot of middle school level books.  https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptian-World-Times/dp/0195173910/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0195173910&pd_rd_r=TZF8D837CKY45ETZ06WX&pd_rd_w=93pqW&pd_rd_wg=1VdtJ&psc=1&refRID=TZF8D837CKY45ETZ06WX

We love Oxford university press books for the Ancient world.  My son completes the readings and writes a few summaries a week on a topic I assign.  (It would also work well for narrations, but it does have a lot of detail and is less narrative.) He them attaches a picture of his choosing and compiles of them, including maps in a book of centuries.  We will cover three books this year for 6th grade: Ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and Greece.  I wish we had time for more.  They are very in depth and have lots of interesting art and pictures. My kid loves them and I feel like they are more in depth than a lot of middle school level books.  https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Egyptian-World-Times/dp/0195173910/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0195173910&pd_rd_r=TZF8D837CKY45ETZ06WX&pd_rd_w=93pqW&pd_rd_wg=1VdtJ&psc=1&refRID=TZF8D837CKY45ETZ06WX

oops sorry you want us history.  I would use Hakim.