Menu

What's with the ads?

HomeAgain

No Spend January (8th-14th)

Spent another $20 tonight splitting pizzas with my brother and his family for ds's bday. On the plus side my dad gave me $80 so the $20 came out of unanticipated money

The best kind of money!

Dc conned me. I gave in and spent our allowance on burgers and sweet tea. I had hoped to not spend it this week, and add it back into the budget.

The best kind of money!

Yes indeed. What makes it better is he's not even in the country! I went to his house to pick up his truck and on his computer desj was an envelope for us and some movies he got for the kids. He such an awesome dad.

• Like 3

Yes indeed. What makes it better is he's not even in the country! I went to his house to pick up his truck and on his computer desj was an envelope for us and some movies he got for the kids. He such an awesome dad.

Awww, that's sweet!

Nothing spent today and I did good with cooking meals from the pantry. One more day to go.

I need to buy two violin shoulder rests and the type I like are pricy; I'm shopping around for deals/coupons. One online store sent me a $10 coupon but the item is priced higher than some other places.

• Like 2

I need to buy groceries today. Will try to stick to the list and just get a few things.

And I need a shower curtain. We only have a liner hanging since taking down the Christmas curtain. And the outside (actual) curtain is what blocks the cats from jumping straight from the litter box into the tub. Plus the liner by itself is ugly.

Day 8: Gas

Day 9: Gas

Day 10: $0

Day 11: household stuff, kitchenaid attachment

Day 12: I don't have to go anywhere today, so it should be a $0 day. My plan is to catch up on laundry, do some school with the kids, and work on decluttering and cleaning the kitchen. 

Spent $0 yesterday, and probably $0 today because the temperature dropped 50 degrees and I'll have to be pried out of my electric blanket.

DH broke two measuring cups last night washing dishes, so I'll have to replace them this weekend.  One was completely shattered, the other has a few cracks along the outside.  Still usable for now, but I couldn't put it in the microwave, and I really don't want to pick Pyrex chunks out of the garbage disposal again.

I'm doing terrible keeping up but spending hasn't been too bad.

I did spend $5 on a dress at Goodwill. I spent the rest of my Christmas cash.

Dh has been getting groceries, while the older kids do TKD, I've been working out. It will take a bit to train him as he likes to buy extra but he's not doing too bad. 

This is a rough month financially, we'll be glad to get it done with. I need to be searching ebay for used sparring gear for the kids for TKD too but haven't yet. I'm probably going to go ahead and renew my membership to the gym with the indoor pool one more month at least, I'd really like to do an individual membership at a gym closer to the kids TKD but any of the others would also be insanely busy this time of year, so it is just as well.

We are iced in today and don't have any big plans, although we might be going in with dh's family to buy family dinner. His dad is really sick and we're going to start trying to do a family dinner on Sunday.

• Like 1

So far in January we’ve only spent on groceries, bills and gas.

I accepted a tax season job at a CPA firm to start next week. I need business casual clothes, because jeans and sneakers and cabled sweaters aren’t going to cut it. I’m going to hit up several goodwills tomorrow and see what I can do. I can’t invest right now due to unemployment. Pray for a good job for my dh if you feel inclined please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Have to make a purchase today. We seem to not own a snow shovel anymore, which is crazy to me because before our stuff went into storage for years, we lived in Chicago and that definitely required snow shovels. My husband probably left them behind out of his desire to never need one again.

I said a prayer for you Colonel Carter.

• Like 1

So far in January we’ve only spent on groceries, bills and gas.

I accepted a tax season job at a CPA firm to start next week. I need business casual clothes, because jeans and sneakers and cabled sweaters aren’t going to cut it. I’m going to hit up several goodwills tomorrow and see what I can do. I can’t invest right now due to unemployment. Pray for a good job for my dh if you feel inclined please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the job!

Sending good thoughts your dh's way

Doc at the ER spent less than 10 minutes with Ds.  Nurses did all the work. Doc's bill is $844! We do have decent insurance and will only have to pay about 200. After the ER co-pay of $300. At least we didn't pay for the Rx. 

The system is so broken!

Doc at the ER spent less than 10 minutes with Ds.  Nurses did all the work. Doc's bill is $844! We do have decent insurance and will only have to pay about 200. After the ER co-pay of $300. At least we didn't pay for the Rx. 

The system is so broken!

Yes it is.

We went to the ER a few years ago for a peanut stuck up a nose.  We have good insurance.  The bill after insurance for just the PA being in there for 1 minute was $1000. 

Plus we had to pay the going to the ER fee. 

That is sick to take advantage of people like that. 

Hugs for the ER/unexpected costs people are dealing with.  It stinks.

Vet bill today for two cats.  $109

But a friend of DD's has offered to teach DS guitar for free.  

1/11- $0.  We went skating, came home, and ate leftovers for dinner.  Chinese food tonight.

1/12 - $106 on groceries.  We were going to go on Saturday, but we're expecting a storm and then a freeze, so today was best.  DS7 is learning how to comparison shop, looking at ingredients, size, and price.  This week we managed to replace a few more of our staples with store brand ones, all having the same ingredients as the name brand.  The one aisle we didn't go down was the frozen food aisle.  DS is slowly branching out with his eating habits.  I finally got him to eat toaster waffles - not the healthiest thing, but a breakfast he can make with minimal help (unlike many of his others).  This is a HUGE deal here, both the independence and the willingness to try a new food.  The aisle was shut down so he is back to regular breakfasts this week.  I'll make up some blueberry muffins tomorrow (thanks to a 'buy 1, get 1 free' deal on them) and that should tide him over for two days along with yogurt.

I washed the cars at home to get the road salt off of them, and tonight we'll do family movie night with a borrowed flick.  DH wanted to run to Target to get more organizational things for the house, which is a minimum $200 every time we go, but after brainstorming needs we rearranged and found other containers we already have that work just fine.

1/8 - $90 on regular bill for cable/internet/phone but no additional spending

1/9 - $68 on groceries 

1/10 - 0

1/11 - $14 regular Netflix charge

- $46 gas

-$8 washing car but I used spare change found around the house for this

- $31 at Salvation Army but this was all paid for out of various people's allowance (mine and both kids - DS picked up a really cool piece of large original artwork that we've hung in his room and I got a cardigan for work, as I've actually starting working on my capsule wardrobe and instead of randomly picking up clothes, I have a plan and a few specific items I am looking for to complete the plan - so far it's going well and I've only bought things that are part of the plan and there's not much more to go - then I'll essentially have a work uniform that will make everything so much easier, at least for the fall, winter and most of spring).

Today I have to get prescription goggles for DD and birthday gift for the kids' friend whose party they are attending on Sunday.  I've also decided that we are going to treat ourselves to dinner out (well, dinner purchased at Tim Horton's and eaten in the car).  The kids have their first swimming lesson tonight and we leave right after to drive DS through the frozen tundra to his Cup camp almost 2 hours away.  The chances of me figuring out some way to cook and get everyone to their various activities on time is not high so I decided to opt for this;  the good news is we have coupons for what the kids want and for what I want so it should come to less than $20 for the 4 of us to eat (I'll buy DH his dinner and drop it off at home on the way out of the city).

We will need a few groceries on the weekend but not much.  So far our spending is way below our usual.

We shouldn't have any expenses today. We're staying home all day, my sil is bringing dinner for everyone when she drops her kids off for an overnight, which means our grocery trip is extended by a day!

Date night! First one in 2 months! Yay! Will probably go to In-n-out to keep it under $15, and the library. The ice cream I bought yesterday will be dessert. Hope to keep it under $15 total.

• Like 1

I just want to share that this "No Spend" thread has really gotten me through 01/12/18 with very little spending!  It's funny, because I haven't even read any of the posts since around the first of the month.  But, as I've been doing errands, dropping kids off, picking kids up...figuring out what's for dinner...etc., I've had MANY opportunities to "do a little shopping" or to buy convenience foods instead of cooking... 

And those temptations don't line up with my larger goals of saving for various larger purchases and investments (like home improvement, travel, etc.).  

Just having this thread and group of WTM people in my head--all working along the same lines--has encouraged me to say "no" to these various little opportunities that would have frittered away a tidy little sum of cash.  Thank you! 

This thread has reminded me that my goals are more aligned with cooking healthy food from scratch as much as possible, not polluting our earth with throw-away diversions from the dollar store (though I do find useful things there too), purging my home of stuff we don't need vs. adding more to it...connecting as people in our family vs. buying stuff to fill up emotional voids...using stuff we already have to build skills (sewing, gardening, sports, etc.) vs. buying "solutions" for boredom, stress, etc.  

BTW, I feel like this says a lot about like-minded people working towards their individual goals and encouraging one another.  I've been ultra-frugal at many times in my life, have lived debt-free for many years, have taught Dave Ramsey classes...have spent a lot of time and thought on these things (no-spend ideas).  I'm thankful for this thread and your stories and accomplishments this month! 

• Like 7

I just want to share that this "No Spend" thread has really gotten me through 01/12/18 with very little spending! It's funny, because I haven't even read any of the posts since around the first of the month. But, as I've been doing errands, dropping kids off, picking kids up...figuring out what's for dinner...etc., I've had MANY opportunities to "do a little shopping" or to buy convenience foods instead of cooking...

And those temptations don't line up with my larger goals of saving for various larger purchases and investments (like home improvement, travel, etc.).

Just having this thread and group of WTM people in my head--all working along the same lines--has encouraged me to say "no" to these various little opportunities that would have frittered away a tidy little sum of cash. Thank you!

This thread has reminded me that my goals are more aligned with cooking healthy food from scratch as much as possible, not polluting our earth with throw-away diversions from the dollar store (though I do find useful things there too), purging my home of stuff we don't need vs. adding more to it...connecting as people in our family vs. buying stuff to fill up emotional voids...using stuff we already have to build skills (sewing, gardening, sports, etc.) vs. buying "solutions" for boredom, stress, etc.

BTW, I feel like this says a lot about like-minded people working towards their individual goals and encouraging one another. I've been ultra-frugal at many times in my life, have lived debt-free for many years, have taught Dave Ramsey classes...have spent a lot of time and thought on these things (no-spend ideas). I'm thankful for this thread and your stories and accomplishments this month!

I so agree!!

1/8/18    $10 book on Amazon

1/9/18    $0

1/10/18  $31 Petsmart

1/11/18  $0

1/12/18  $0

total spent $41 in January

*only tracking non necessities that I buy

$31 for gas today.

And I found a similar model but much cheaper version of the violin shoulder rests I was looking for on eBay, ordered two and hope they are enough like the original.

• Like 1

My ds broke my phone in a fit of rage😢 I'm hoping it is just the screen that is cracked because I have a replacement screen. But if not it'll be a big expense for my no spend month

My ds broke my phone in a fit of rage😢 I'm hoping it is just the screen that is cracked because I have a replacement screen. But if not it'll be a big expense for my no spend month

I'm sorry. Is he old enough to help you replace the screen? 

I'm sorry. Is he old enough to help you replace the screen?

We'll see! He is only 5 but has expressed remorse and asked if he can help me try to fix it. He also said u could have his bday money if I need to replace it, which I won't take but he was sweet to offer.

My dad has a replacement phone for me if the screen doesnt work so no money spent after all. But my phone plan will have to change which sucks because I'm grandfathered in to a sweet deal until I switch phones

• Like 1

1/11: ~$3 for my usual whopper jr and coke zero on the way home from work

1/13: $28 for brunch at Denny's after we got to the skate rink to find homeschool open skate was cancelled. That I had planned for and would have been $14. Went $23 over budget.

Also, $38 at walmart for art supplies for the kids and a few groceries.

And, the super budget buster, $297 for a tent and a climbing helmet. I went low end for the helmet, not quite low end for the tent, which we'll get more use out of than next weekend.

Both the equipment purchase and the restaurant overage go on my wall of shame.

Edited by Ravin
  • Like 1

Argh!!! Can we just pretend today didn't happen. Just when I get relief that I won't have to buy a new phone one of our steps breaks. How the heck does a step break? I guess this weekend we'll see just how good our diy skills are.

• Like 1

Just chiming in to say that I really suck at no spend Jan so far!

Maybe Feb will be better.....

Stuck out of town for robotics competition in ice/ snow storm- add another night of hotel and dinner at a bbq place to the tab. Boo

Haha another step broke this morning while we very carefully came downstairs. I don't have the energy to deal with this. Wonder if we can find someone to fix this issue today.

Haha another step broke this morning while we very carefully came downstairs. I don't have the energy to deal with this. Wonder if we can find someone to fix this issue today.

Wow you are really getting some odd issues. I am sending positive thoughts that nothing else breaks!

• Like 1

Hugs to everyone!!!

I spent more than planned on groceries yesterday, but really didn't get anything frivolous. And I didn't buy a shower curtain yet!!

Day 8: Gas

Day 9: Gas

Day 10: $0

Day 11: household stuff, kitchenaid attachment

Day 12: Gas - a lot of driving around this week so DH filled up the car. 

Day 13: I have to grocery shop today; it looks like it will be a rather large stock-up. 

Wow you are really getting some odd issues. I am sending positive thoughts that nothing else breaks!

Odd indeed. Thanks for the thoughts. Surprisingly, things like this make me laugh and not actually stress too much.

• Like 2

Day 11 -- $0

Day 12 - $0

hjffkj -  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

myblessings4 -- groceries are just high.  I didn't buy anything frivolous or any meat and my bill was high

Hilltopmom - not your fault you are stuck and spending more

• Like 1

Day 11 -- $0

Day 12 - $0

hjffkj - :grouphug: :grouphug:

myblessings4 -- groceries are just high. I didn't buy anything frivolous or any meat and my bill was high

Hilltopmom - not your fault you are stuck and spending more

Oh yeah! I didn't buy any meat, either!!

Returned some items to Hobby Lobby that DD ended up not needing for her class.  $25 back.  Yeah!  And then DH blew $50 on something we absolutely did not need.  Grrrr...

Haha! I officially feel like I'm in someone's sick dream. Not only did my phone break yesterday and the steps broke last night. But now my dog is limping!! I guess it's true that when it rains it pours.

Laughing hard so I don't cry.

Haha! I officially feel like I'm in someone's sick dream. Not only did my phone break yesterday and the steps broke last night. But now my dog is limping!! I guess it's true that when it rains it pours.

Wow.  Did you walk under a ladder?  Did a black cat cross your path?  Did you break a mirror?  I'm not superstitious but I'd seriously consider just staying in bed, the whole family (including the dog) for the rest of the day.  LOL

• Like 2

Wow. Did you walk under a ladder? Did a black cat cross your path? Did you break a mirror? I'm not superstitious but I'd seriously consider just staying in bed, the whole family (including the dog) for the rest of the day. LOL

The beds are all upstairs!!! Hahaha. I'm gonna wrap us all in bubble wrap and sit everyone in the couch

• Like 1

$26.32 for gas last night

$86.88 for groceries today and no meat bought (that's not too bad though)

up-right freezer (FREE!)

Hjffkj- I hope your poor doggie feels better and also that nothing else breaks!

ETA: finally, went through some bags Ds brought home from work and there was a ton of trash bags, aluminum foil, parchment paper and ziplock freezer bags. Some I will donate to our church but the rest I will keep and we don't have to buy those things for at least 6 mos..

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

So far so good. Only expense that was not a must but planned for was the farm show. We had our usual great time and enjoyed the rodeo.

I need to buy new shoes for me and new snow pants for DS. All his coveralls and snow pants are too shorts. And he apparently outgrew his boots too. Hopefully, I can find a good deal but due to sizing it will be a hunt. DS tried DH’s boots he doesn’t wear but they are a little small.

• Like 1

WIN:

Thursday was grocery shopping day and I got my groceries for the lowest prices I can get them.  Basically, if I walk away with $260 spent in groceries (I go every other week and my groceries include things like paper goods and laundry det.), then I'm happy.  I never manage to spend less than that. 

SORT OF FAIL:

Friday my son got a shot at the doctor's office and he really freaks out about shots.  He's 12, but when he has to get a shot he turns completely pale and starts sweating (a lot), will shake, and tears spring to his eyes.  He's the sort of person who gets woozy at the sight of blood.  So, I got him a treat at McDs after the shot.  I probably should have taken him home and given him a cookie, but I dunno.  I feel sorry for the kid. 

• Like 1

You poor thing! I'd probably give it up and go back to sleep myself.