Menu

Wwyd 4-H enrollment ???

Prairie~Phlox

I have an 18 yo, will be 10 year member, 16 yo, 9 year member. Enrollment is due by Monday. Dh has always said they should complete the 10 years, but if I “forget to enroll†wouldn’t make a big deal or probably even notice. They’re not active in the club & don’t even attend the required amount of meetings any more for champion. They do 1 easy project just to get done. They’d rather not join tbh.

I was a 10 year member showing livestock & loved it. But now it’s just something that no one really enjoys. But they’re so close to completing that I don’t know what to do. My boys really aren’t involved in anything else aside from working & church, but to me 4-H on their record just doesn’t weigh much. So what should we do? Have them complete the 10 years or save our $15 each enrollment fee. 😜 wwyd?

Sounds like you want them to join more than they want to join.

There is nothing in your post remotely compelling.

"not active..don't attend...rather not join..."

You have your answer--save your money.

Thanks, actually I wanted them to quit years ago, but dh insisted they complete, yet he wasn’t doing anything to make sure they made it to meetings or completed things.

What does your DH say?  Would he be willing to cart them to the meeting or wherever?

He'd still rather they finish, but if I over look the deadline, there's nothing he could do.  The 18 year old drives now and could take them, or they really could just forgo the meetings and at least complete one project.

I’d let them quit. But I may be looking for something else they could possibly do depending on how they spend their time. Like maybe volunteering somewhere.

They both work and that takes up their extra time, so volunteering isn't likely, they do help with projects at our church, so I consider that volunteering.

• Like 1

I would just have them finish, bc it doesn't seem like a lot of work for anyone. But I'm like that. Of course in your situation I might put any responsibility for driving or completing things on dh bc in like that too. I have enough to do without dragging my kids through things that aren't my priority. But, finishing up when so close would be one of mine.

If they're not participating, them it's not really finishing. It's picking up a trophy (or whatever the prize is). I don't think that teaches anything. Regret from not having finished strong (my BIL faced this when he wouldn't finish his Eagle project and didn't earn the Eagle in scouting) can be a much better life lesson than mom pencil whipping the end to get them "done". YMMV

• Like 2

They’re not active in the club & don’t even attend the required amount of meetings any more for champion. They do 1 easy project just to get done. They’d rather not join tbh.

I was a 10 year member showing livestock & loved it. But now it’s just something that no one really enjoys. But they’re so close to completing that I don’t know what to do. My boys really aren’t involved in anything else aside from working & church, but to me 4-H on their record just doesn’t weigh much. So what should we do? Have them complete the 10 years or save our $15 each enrollment fee. 😜 wwyd?

Why would you enroll your kids in an activity nobody enjoys, just so that they can check the "completion" box? I fail to see the benefit of signing them up for an activity in which they do not actively participate and for which they do the bare minimum.

I would let them quit and instead help them find an activity they would enjoy.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I don't really understand the 10-year number.  Do you get an award for ten years?  Otherwise, I'd say nine years looks just as good as ten years if you're thinking of a resume or college application.

I'd let them quit.  Unless, this is a commitment they made with your dh.  Then, maybe it's good to honor a commitment?  

• Like 1

So, you pay $15/child so they can say they completed 10 years? What is the benefit of that? Do they get some sort of local reward/award/memento? So it is just so they can say that they completed 10 years of 4-H? If someone were a fan of 4-H, they would immediately quiz them on what projects they were involved with, what contests, etc. It sounds like your children might respond with something like - oh, we did it because our parents made us? 

If they were involved, it sounds like something they could be proud of and look back at fondly. It sounds like they just don't care and it is almost a burden. Their 4-H experience sounds different than yours. 

• Like 3

I think I would discuss it as a family.  It would be hard for me to drop a 10-year goal after completing 9 years, especially something that doesn't sound very hard to do.  But I'm not knowledgeable about what 10 years means as far as being able to put it on your resume or whatever.

• Like 1

1.  Sit down and talk this out as a family.  I would not just "fail" to turn in the application.

2.  If the boys are really not invested at all maybe it is because while DH says it is important he has not actually invested any of his time/effort to show it is important or why?

3.  I would definitely take in the boys' input but also give DH a chance to weigh in on why this matters so much to him.

• Like 2