Menu

Has anyone used any of the upper levels of Writeshop?      https://writeshop.com/

can they give me any feedback?

I have a very reluctant writer- just  about non-existent writer.He has profound dyslexia. He can do dictation fine. it is the process of writing original anything that is hard. very very hard.  We have done all WWE in  the younger years. tried WWS and found it too hard. took a year break and did Australia the wide brown land. tried WWS again, still to hard.  Have been working through Writing strands book 4. not ideal at all, not enough handholding instruction for each section. DS is 14

It was suggested do me that I try Writeshop as apparently it has assisted other dyslexic students... but the problem is that it will cost just over $100... Any feedback most welcome

We love Writeshop. There are skill builders and quite a bit of hand holding- that said- it is original writing. You have to pick an object to describe- and while they walk you through the steps and brainstorming- it is still coming up with your own words and descriptions.

Would something like IEW be a better fit? They give you the topic, and the info for most of the writing- there are a few units where they expand into original writing- but it's gently.

• Like 1

I forgot about IEW.  :laugh: I actually have the Australian History based unit on my bookshelf. I just looked at the Aus website and saw there is a unit or rockets. That might interest DS. But the website says the parent needs to do a $200 course to teach IEW. Can I just buy individual student/teacher combos and go for it. I don't want to fork out $200 for a parent training course. 

Yes, I think the teachers guides have enough hand holding if you are familiar with the program that you don't need the teachers course. That said- they have a very brief synopsis DVD meant to familiarize parents with techniques if used in a co op setting that would be worth getting.

http://iew.com/shop/products/structure-and-style-overview-dvd-0

Edited to add the link.

Edited by Free Indeed