Menu

FL Homeschoolers - Question

Hi,

We currently homeschool but we are registered through a private school (or umbrella school). I do not want to continue with this option.

My son will be in ninth grade next school year & I just want to go back to being a homeschooler registered with my county.

My question is, to do this, do I just mail in my letter of intent? Do I need to tell our umbrella school, or is my not paying during re-enrollment sufficient? Should I act now or wait until the summer when this school year is over?

And lastly, should I get an evaluation for this year & have it sent in to the county?

Normally I would meet with my umbrella school over the summer for a review, but if I’m leaving them I’d rather not go that route. It will just be weird... she’ll try to talk me into staying & Im not assertive and it will be uncomfortable.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you so much for your time!

Personally, I would wait until the summer is over. When you submit your letter of intent, that will become the date when your evaluations are due every year. So if you homeschool on the same schedule that public school does, start in August and end in May/June, then your evaluations would be due in the middle of your year every year. As for mailing in your intent, that is fine. However, I would recommend getting signature confirmation so you have proof it was received. I actually take our yearly evaluations into the county every year. I have 2 copies, 1 for their records and 1 for mine. I have them stamp and sign both. This way I have record that they were turned in just in case they misplace something. They actually misplaced my daughter's 5th grade-10th grade years. Thankfully, I had all my paperwork so I never ran into any issues. 

• Like 1

Thank you! Great advice! I totally wasn’t thinking about it being mid year.

So, I will wait to submit my letter of intent in August.

My question now is regarding this year, 8th grade. Do I have to meet with my current umbrella school to close out this year? Or can I just submit my letter of intent to the county in August and that’s sufficient? I just don’t want to overlook anything.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Since you are with an umbrella school you are not required to submit an evaluation at the end of this year. However, you will want some kind of paperwork showing that you were in fact schooling for your child's 8th grade year. I would probably meet with the umbrella school and close out the year as you always have. 

• Like 1

If I were uncomfortable meeting with the umbrella school, I would get my letter of intent stamped by the county first (still waiting until this summer) and take it with me to the meeting with the umbrella school. That way I could show them the form verifying that I will be under the county for the new school year and therefore nothing left to discuss.

Since I don’t require an evaluation with her, I may just text her in the summer & ask if she needs anything from me before we part ways.

My son will take a standardized test so if she needs anything, I can show her that plus our portfolio. She’s very nice, but I’m paying $200 a year for a service I just don’t need. My county is very friendly to homeschoolers. I think I just was nervous approaching high school and felt like an umbrella school would benefit us. But it doesn’t. And I really feel more comfortable approaching community college dual enrolllment and Bright Futures registered through the county.