Menu

FitBit Reviews

HSsquared

I got the new charge 2 for Christmas and I love it. It tracks sleep, exercise, steps, and reminds you every hour to get up and walk if you don't have 250 steps that hour. That's big for me because I have a sedentary job.

Dd (10) and I both got the Fitbit Alta HR for Christmas (she had been begging for a Fitbit for a LONG time). It does all of the things above, but it is slimmer and you can buy different bands for it. I always womdered what the difference is. Surely it is more than the size? The Alta HR also tracks heart rate, which can be nice. It is really helping my dd to move more (me too). She loves the competitive nature with me and we are constantly asking each other “how many steps do you have?†to see who is winning that day.

• Like 1

Don't have a fitbit. I have a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier, which does more than just fitness tracking, but does do fitness tracking. I like the reminders to get up and move. It also tracks sleep, which is good.

I also got DS a Garmin Vivofit Jr. and DD another brand of tracker. DS's works great, has the advantage of not needing to charge (battery is supposed to last a year). It has a game which requires meeting daily goals to advance in and also has a rewards system for chores built into it which DS likes using.

• Like 2

DD was looking at the Charge 2 and the Alta HR.  She chose the Alta since it is smaller and the extra features on the Charge 2 aren't something she was interested in.   She loves it so far.

BTW Costco has them on sale till Jan 13 and with their package you get 2 extra bands with Alta HR and 1 extra with Charge 2. If you don't want to go to a Costco but have a membership, you can order online.

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Yes, i got the Charge 2 last September and I love it. I wear it all the time and I keep notifications on, so I am certain not to be sedentary for so long. I have it track sleep, but I don’t look at that too much except to note that what I think is seven hours of sleep never is.

When you really break some personal records, it’s very thrilling.

• Like 2

I have a Blaze.  It's ok.  What I would say about the fitbit is buyer beware if you have cell phone that does not have a data plan.  Mine is just extremely inaccurate and I think if my phone could access data, it would sync with a GPS more frequently.  My DH has a garmin and he regularly logs about 1/3+ more distance/steps when we are walking together.  While in reality I'm taking more steps.  If you don't have data and really want accurate info, get a fitbit or other device with a built in GPS. 

• Like 1

I have an Alta ( the original not HR).  It was not recording all my exercise or even my steps correctly.  I looked into upgrading it but I wasn't impressed with it.  For christmas, I got an apple watch.  So far it is recording my steps and exercise better than the fitbit.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 2

I used to have a Fitbit Flex. It was not a good match for me. It was a hassle to recharge it all the time and to keep track of the little gizmo you had to put the actual bit in to charge it. Additionally, parts kept breaking. They cheerfully replaced them, but when the last one went, I just gave up. I liked what it actually did" tracking sleep and steps. I want to find another one that does the same but doesn't need recharging. 

• Like 1

I just got the Charge2 about 10 days ago. I like it very much so far.  I asked here about 2 weeks ago & then read through these reviews to decide. https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404445,00.asp

I was worried about the Charge2  looking too big as I'm small with dinky little wrists but I'm ok with it & I think I actually like the bigger screen (I was debating a lot between that and the Alta HR) 

• Like 2

Dd (10) and I both got the Fitbit Alta HR for Christmas (she had been begging for a Fitbit for a LONG time). It does all of the things above, but it is slimmer and you can buy different bands for it. I always womdered what the difference is. Surely it is more than the size? The Alta HR also tracks heart rate, which can be nice. It is really helping my dd to move more (me too). She loves the competitive nature with me and we are constantly asking each other “how many steps do you have?†to see who is winning that day.

I don't know for sure, but I got the charge because you can push the button on the side to track your workout while you're doing it. I like to see the steps and calories and time as I'm working out.

• Like 2

The review I linked explains the diff b/n Charge2 and AltaHR. They were pretty much neck in neck except: 

"But the Charge 2 shines in providing context about your cardio fitness levels. Since it has connected GPS, it calculates VO2 max to give you a better sense of where you stand compared with other people your age, weight, and gender—info you don't get with the Alta HR. That makes it a better choice for anyone really looking to take charge of their health and fitness levels.

Ultimately, the one to pick comes down to one question: Would you rather spend your money on a better design and longer battery life, or more functionality and features? While the Alta HR can keep pace with the Charge 2 on most levels, it makes slight concessions in order to maintain its attractive design. If you're serious about kickstarting a new fitness routine, you're still better off with the Charge 2—but only slightly."

• Like 2

Have to tell a funny story about one of the earliest fitness trackers. Seems it counted increases in altitude as climbing stairs. Dd, the helicopter pilot, was logged as climbing thousands of flights of stair every day, every time she took off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The review I linked explains the diff b/n Charge2 and AltaHR. They were pretty much neck in neck except: 

"But the Charge 2 shines in providing context about your cardio fitness levels. Since it has connected GPS, it calculates VO2 max to give you a better sense of where you stand compared with other people your age, weight, and gender—info you don't get with the Alta HR. That makes it a better choice for anyone really looking to take charge of their health and fitness levels.

Ultimately, the one to pick comes down to one question: Would you rather spend your money on a better design and longer battery life, or more functionality and features? While the Alta HR can keep pace with the Charge 2 on most levels, it makes slight concessions in order to maintain its attractive design. If you're serious about kickstarting a new fitness routine, you're still better off with the Charge 2—but only slightly."

IRT the last paragraph....

My daughter who chose the Alta HR, read about the comparison option with other people her age and she was not interested.  For her....she wasn't interested in what other people are doing. She wants to track herself, not compare herself to others.  So, for some people it may be a benefit, but only if your mind thinks that way.

• Like 1

I have a Charge 2 and the only thing that I don't like is that is doesn't track my steps if my arm is stationary. It doesn't log steps when I'm in the grocery store and my hands are pushing a cart. Maybe there's something I'm missing to make it do it. It's not that big a deal but it bugs me. I have tiny hands and wrists and I thought the size would bother me but I'm used to it now and it's no issue. 

I have realized that with how I sleep (always knew I was restless and woke a lot) that I rarely get over 7 hours even if I'm in bed 9 hours. It makes me feel a bit hopeless to ever get what most say is adequate sleep. I think I may start ignoring the sleep part or just taking it off at night so I'm not tracking it. 

• Like 2

"But the Charge 2 shines in providing context about your cardio fitness levels. Since it has connected GPS, it calculates VO2 max to give you a better sense of where you stand compared with other people your age, weight, and gender—info you don't get with the Alta HR. That makes it a better choice for anyone really looking to take charge of their health and fitness levels.

Ultimately, the one to pick comes down to one question: Would you rather spend your money on a better design and longer battery life, or more functionality and features? While the Alta HR can keep pace with the Charge 2 on most levels, it makes slight concessions in order to maintain its attractive design. If you're serious about kickstarting a new fitness routine, you're still better off with the Charge 2—but only slightly."

That is very interesting. Thank you for sharing! I had a Fitbit charge a few years ago (when it was new) and I just didn’t like the bulkiness. I knew I’d be way more likely to wear the Alta, so I didn’t even compare the two this time around.

I got the Charge 2 for Christmas and I love it.  I work at a desk so the reminders are great.  Love tracking sleep too.

The only thing I hated about it was the plastic band which made me sweat, so I got a lovely leather one for $14.95 on Amazon and not only does it look 10X more classy, I no longer sweat under the band.

• Like 1

I have a Charge 2 and the only thing that I don't like is that is doesn't track my steps if my arm is stationary. It doesn't log steps when I'm in the grocery store and my hands are pushing a cart. Maybe there's something I'm missing to make it do it. It's not that big a deal but it bugs me. I have tiny hands and wrists and I thought the size would bother me but I'm used to it now and it's no issue.

I have realized that with how I sleep (always knew I was restless and woke a lot) that I rarely get over 7 hours even if I'm in bed 9 hours. It makes me feel a bit hopeless to ever get what most say is adequate sleep. I think I may start ignoring the sleep part or just taking it off at night so I'm not tracking it.

Yes, the grocery thing really annoys me. I’ll be standing in the checkout line and it buzzes me, asking me if I want to stroll. I’m like, “you ninny! I have just strolled through fourteen aisles of food!â€

I have taken mine off at night sometimes because I just didn’t want to know the situation was so much worse than I thought.

• Like 2

Yes, the grocery thing really annoys me. I’ll be standing in the checkout line and it buzzes me, asking me if I want to stroll. I’m like, “you ninny! I have just strolled through fourteen aisles of food!â€

I have taken mine off at night sometimes because I just didn’t want to know the situation was so much worse than I thought.

If you want to make it register steps, fasten it through your belt loop when you go to the supermarket.

• Like 4

I like my Alta (not HR) -- I like it for the watch and the phone notifications (I told my DH to CALL me not text me at an event so my fitbit would buzz even if I didn't hear my phone) I like the size of it compared to my previous trackers. I don't think it is 100% accurate and I, too, am annoyed by the shopping cart thing (I have a friend who wears hers on her ankle -- that probably works) but it does help me to stay motivated and I appreciate the app because competition with my friends can help me to stay motivated -- if not to compete then not to look like a bum LOL.

• Like 1

I think they're great when the work.  However, I had a Charge that broke within the year--it was under warranty, so they replaced it.  The replacement lasted approximately a year before I woke up one day and it just wouldn't turn on.  When I contacted Fitbit, they offered me a dinky credit off a new device.  I'm not rough on my things.

I put a Blaze on my Christmas list, because we get some sort of credit at dh's work related to insurance when we long our activity.  Fitbit syncs with the program, so I don't have to do anything.  However, dh told me he didn't get it because the topic of fitness trackers had been coming up at work quite a bit, and his takeaway was more people were dissatisfied in the long run with the longevity of their devices.  

But, they're great when they work.  I miss having one.

• Like 2

I got a fitbit Alta HR for Christmas. I asked for that one because of how narrow it is. I have sensory issues and wasn't sure about wearing something full time. I'm loving it! I like being able to track my sleep as that's an area that's always been a bit iffy for me. I can't get to sleep then I can't wake up. It's interesting to compare my sleep cycles with how I feel the next day. I think it's getting me moving more, too. It provides just that extra bit of motivation to move so you hit your step goal. I like the hourly vibration reminder to move, as well. This keeps me from zoning out in front of the tv or computer for too long. My friend and I friended each other on the app so now we can cheer each other on or join a challenge together. 

• Like 1

I had the Charge HR and it was great- until the band came apart. It did that on 2 before I decided to do the Fitbit Flex. It is separate from the band and you pop it into the band. It doesn't track heart rate, but I'm ok with that. I have had a fit bit for several years as we get HSA kickbacks from DH company for active minutes.

• Like 2

My company had a big discount on Fitbits about a year and a half ago, and I finally took the plunge.

I got two!

The Flex 2 is what I use most of the time.  I am contact sensitive, so I don't think the plastic band is a good idea for me day in and day out, so I bought a silver band for it that looks like a bracelet, and that goes with everything.  I picked the Flex 2 partly because it was advertised as waterproof, the only fitbit that was, and I thought I would need that last summer as I planned to start doing a little boating, which did not happen after all.  I notice that they don't advertise it as waterproof anymore.  What's up with that? 

Anyway, I wear it every day, and have it set up just to do step counting and hourly reminders to move if I haven't walked 250 steps that hour.  It can track sleep, but I don't use it for that.  And it can notify you of phone calls and texts coming in, but I have that feature suppressed most of the time.  I would say that since I got it my step count has increased by about 1000 steps per day on average, and that I'm more generally active.  It IS a pain to charge, and I have misplaced one of my charging cables, but the system that has been working for me is to keep the little charger dongle near my laptop, and plug it in whenever I'm using it.

I also got a Surge, which was their high end fitness watch until they came out with the Ionic late last year.  I knew the Surge was overkill for my level, but got it because I hike in places where there is no cell phone reception, and that is often my most significant exercise.  The Surge was at the time the only Fitbit that had internal GPS, so it didn't need cell phone reception to track my steps or distance or route.  It also has a heart rate tracker, which the Flex 2 does not.  I like that when I'm straining myself at high altitudes, as a sanity check.

It has many other features that I don't use--did I mention that it was overkill?  I love it but I don't use it around town very often.  I probably should--every once in a while I really wish that I had a wristwatch on, and that would be a good sub for it.  However, like the Flex 2 I don't think that the band would work for me day in and day out, and certainly not overnight.  Also, I have read that the heartrate monitor can cause permanent skin damage if used all the time, so I think some cautious scheduling is advisable.  Still, for the high intensity or remote exercise sessions, the Surge features are just wonderful.  They don't make it anymore, but I imagine that the Ionic is even better.

I'm late to the party, but cannonballed right in by buying two at once!  BTW, I checked on this--you can use both in the same day and the app will combine the stats for you.  Just don't wear two at once or your step count might double.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

I got Fitbit charge 2 last christmas.  I wear it daily and I do love it.  It is part of what helps keep me on track.  One day a week I walk wtih a friend and that is the other thing that helps keep me focused.

I'm frustrated right now because I'm just getting over a cold and still feel terrible and can't get my steps up to the level I want. 

It's especially frustrating in Jan when I want to get going with goals!  

• Like 1

I think they're great when the work. However, I had a Charge that broke within the year--it was under warranty, so they replaced it. The replacement lasted approximately a year before I woke up one day and it just wouldn't turn on. When I contacted Fitbit, they offered me a dinky credit off a new device. I'm not rough on my things.

I put a Blaze on my Christmas list, because we get some sort of credit at dh's work related to insurance when we long our activity. Fitbit syncs with the program, so I don't have to do anything. However, dh told me he didn't get it because the topic of fitness trackers had been coming up at work quite a bit, and his takeaway was more people were dissatisfied in the long run with the longevity of their devices.

But, they're great when they work. I miss having one.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. Seems to be the trend of some enjoying them. Others not due to unreliability. Thanks again!

~ HSsquared

My company had a big discount on Fitbits about a year and a half ago, and I finally took the plunge.

I got two!

The Flex 2 is what I use most of the time. I am contact sensitive, so I don't think the plastic band is a good idea for me day in and day out, so I bought a silver band for it that looks like a bracelet, and that goes with everything. I picked the Flex 2 partly because it was advertised as waterproof, the only fitbit that was, and I thought I would need that last summer as I planned to start doing a little boating, which did not happen after all. I notice that they don't advertise it as waterproof anymore. What's up with that?

Anyway, I wear it every day, and have it set up just to do step counting and hourly reminders to move if I haven't walked 250 steps that hour. It can track sleep, but I don't use it for that. And it can notify you of phone calls and texts coming in, but I have that feature suppressed most of the time. I would say that since I got it my step count has increased by about 1000 steps per day on average, and that I'm more generally active. It IS a pain to charge, and I have misplaced one of my charging cables, but the system that has been working for me is to keep the little charger dongle near my laptop, and plug it in whenever I'm using it.

I also got a Surge, which was their high end fitness watch until they came out with the Ionic late last year. I knew the Surge was overkill for my level, but got it because I hike in places where there is no cell phone reception, and that is often my most significant exercise. The Surge was at the time the only Fitbit that had internal GPS, so it didn't need cell phone reception to track my steps or distance or route. It also has a heart rate tracker, which the Flex 2 does not. I like that when I'm straining myself at high altitudes, as a sanity check.

It has many other features that I don't use--did I mention that it was overkill? I love it but I don't use it around town very often. I probably should--every once in a while I really wish that I had a wristwatch on, and that would be a good sub for it. However, like the Flex 2 I don't think that the band would work for me day in and day out, and certainly not overnight. Also, I have read that the heartrate monitor can cause permanent skin damage if used all the time, so I think some cautious scheduling is advisable. Still, for the high intensity or remote exercise sessions, the Surge features are just wonderful. They don't make it anymore, but I imagine that the Ionic is even better.

I'm late to the party, but cannonballed right in by buying two at once! BTW, I checked on this--you can use both in the same day and the app will combine the stats for you. Just don't wear two at once or your step count might double.

Thank you so very much for your great review and insights!!

~ HSsquared

• Like 1

I have a Charge 2 and the only thing that I don't like is that is doesn't track my steps if my arm is stationary. It doesn't log steps when I'm in the grocery store and my hands are pushing a cart. Maybe there's something I'm missing to make it do it. It's not that big a deal but it bugs me. I have tiny hands and wrists and I thought the size would bother me but I'm used to it now and it's not

I put it in my pocket when pushing a cart.

• Like 1

I put it in my pocket when pushing a cart.

Am I remembering right....isn't that how you lost yours?  ((((hugs))))))

It counts your steps more accurately, but maybe better to fasten around a belt loop, purse or a key ring.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The four of us all had the Fitbit Zip at one point.

Two of them broke quickly, and the other two broke a bit more slowly, lol.

All were fiddly about batteries being placed just so, and getting the tiny piece of metal in the exact correct spot.

Thanks for the feedback!

~ HSsquared

Am I remembering right....isn't that how you lost yours? ((((hugs))))))

It counts your steps more accurately, but maybe better to fasten around a belt loop, purse or a key ring.

When I lost it I had put it in a pocket of my baby carrier. So that when I undid the carrier to take the baby out the pocket is been upside down so it fell out. It's been fine in my shorts pocket. Those are deep enough that it won't fall out. Or I can put it in a different pocket in the carrier that has a zipper.

• Like 1