Menu

Kitchen pros: how to make hamburger splatter less?

Alicia64

I'm a vegetarian, but dh is not.

He makes a hamburger patty about four or five times a week -- and, I kid you not, it leaves a greasy splatter all over the stove. There was even a vase w/ flowers at Xmas and a large snow globe on the counter and the burger splattered the vase and snowglobe too.

We have a gas stove that's kind of irritating to clean. The areas around the knobs get really splattered.

Anyway, this is NOT a meat rant.

I'm really genuinely asking: is there some kind of tool that would contain the splatter better?

And TIA!!!

Alley

When my ds makes hamburgers, he bakes them in the oven because he doesn't want to have to clean up. He lines a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil, places the meat on top of the aluminum foil, then covers it with aluminum foil as well.  It's VERY easy to clean up.  The burgers have more of a boiled texture than a crispy grilled one, but he does not care.

• Like 1

When my ds makes hamburgers, he bakes them in the oven because he doesn't want to have to clean up. He lines a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil, places the meat on top of the aluminum foil, then covers it with aluminum foil as well.  It's VERY easy to clean up.  The burgers have more of a boiled texture than a crispy grilled one, but he does not care.

Do you eat them? I think that sounds very unappetizing...

We only grill outdoors, in almost all (Midwestern) weather. We don't like fried meat much, and don't want the mess. But back when we did more on the stovetop, we found it less messy with leaner meat, lower temps, and use of a mesh splatter guard.

• Like 1

Leaner meat, and also a deeper pan helps tremendously.  I was shocked at the improvement in containment once I switched from cooking these in a frying pan to an Essential Pan that was about twice as deep. Or send him outside with an electric frying pan--we use that for bacon now because our ventilation is not great (our house is almost 100 years old), so the smell would just hang in the air for days, ugh.  But it also has much deeper sides than a fry pan, and there is no spatter problem.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Do you eat them? I think that sounds very unappetizing...

We only grill outdoors, in almost all (Midwestern) weather. We don't like fried meat much, and don't want the mess. But back when we did more on the stovetop, we found it less messy with leaner meat, lower temps, and use of a mesh splatter guard.

It's not my preferred method, but if you google search "baked hamburgers" there are a lot of people who do it.

I think if I were to do it, I'd sear them first in a cast iron pot, and then bake to finish them off.

The mesh splatter guard is a pain to clean. I prefer aluminum foil, just because it's disposable.

I don't eat many hamburgers. Usually it's just the kids making lunch and I have a salad instead.

• Like 2

This. Its what my grandmother used and I keep thinking I need to buy one so my gas range doesnt get so messy.

I would not buy leaner beef. The fat helps with flavor and keeps the burger juicy.

This. Its what my grandmother used and I keep thinking I need to buy one so my gas range doesnt get so messy.

I would not buy leaner beef. The fat helps with flavor and keeps the burger juicy.

If you use leaner beef, it's going to have to be medium rare to be juicy.

I'm good with that, but then, I like tartare too.

7 minutes on a side.  Bam!

• Like 1

You can buy a mesh thing that goes over the fry pan that basically eliminates it. They are so good. I spent years cleaning up meat spatter and now there's hardly any and it goes in the dishwasher too!

Steak is even harder because you need to cook it in high to get a nice seal.

• Like 2

I’d get him a small George Foreman grill to use.

That's a good idea. Normally I'm against single-purpose appliances, but if he's doing it 4-5 times a week, and the mess is that extensive, it might make very good sense. Does a foreman grill make good hamburgers?

• Like 1

I make baked hamburgers, but I place them on a wire rack inside an aluminum foil lined rimmed baking sheet. They taste just about as good as fried and zero mess. I think the trick is having them raised off the pan so the grease drips through and leaving them uncovered while they bake--I think this helps with texture.

I have a splatter guard, but hate it. When you remove it to flip the food, I get splatter. So I end up with splatter and a guard to clean.

• Like 2

That's a good idea. Normally I'm against single-purpose appliances, but if he's doing it 4-5 times a week, and the mess is that extensive, it might make very good sense. Does a foreman grill make good hamburgers?

I'm not much of a meat eater, so I'll leave it to others to answer if it makes good burgers or not. :lol:

We have a George Foreman (and use it a lot) but they can also be very annoying to clean. For me, more so than cleaning my oven top. 

Ours is the kind where both griddles pop out. I either put them in dishwater to soak or put them in the dishwasher. Easy peasy to clean, very little mess.

• Like 1

These things work great, so long as the chef will use it.

Also, have you considered pre-cooking the burgers once a week (or less) and then reheating them in the (toaster) oven as needed?

• Like 1

I have a splatter guard, but hate it. When you remove it to flip the food, I get splatter. So I end up with splatter and a guard to clean.

You also get splatter when you first put the the meat in the oil (not for burgers, but chicken etc.)  It contains it some, but does not eliminate it.  I think it's worth using.  You shouldn't get splatter on nearby vases anyway.

This is what I use, and it works great! I like fattier meat for burgers, so it can be messy when I cook them on the stove top. I found one of these buried in a cabinet, and no more mess!  :hurray: