Menu

Hello again!!!

FO4UR

Hello everyone!

I'm back. Some of you will remember me as 4blessingmom. Some of you know I went through an ugly personal time for a bit, thus the name change and staying off the public forum for a while. Things have calmed down. I miss chatting about everything from toenail fungus to the societal implications of a history curriculum. No one else irl is this much fun. :lol: 

I'm decluttering too. We are no longer homeschooling, and I have all these books and currics that no one irl can appreciate. iykwim I need to rehome them somewhere they will be loved and used and cared for. Parting with them is sweet sorrow, made sweeter knowing they are going to someone who will be happy to use them.

How are the kids doing?

Oldest will be 15 at the end of this month. He is a freshman at a great high school, one of the best in our state. He is my severe dyslexic, and he is staying at level with his reading. :hurray:   His writing...ugh...he still needs intensive tutoring with writing. He's doing great in school though. All that Miquon, Singapore, copywork, narration...yes, and yes. Oral narration saved his back-side, especially as he works with dyslexia accommodations at school. If you have a struggling reader-writer, increase your oral narrations. (I'm still throwing advice around like confetti. I can't help it. :laugh: )

7th grader hates middle school. She got caught reading To Kill a Mockingbird in class. Her teacher just told her not to read it aloud to the other kids. :lol: 

5th grader made a very smooth transition into public school. He makes me look like a wonderful HS mom. (Have another cookie...) Really, he is just a smart and sweet kid.

My youngest is now 5. :crying:  She is at an awesome preschool. I'm really very happy with what they are learning and how. She is my miracle baby who started life with an hypoxic event and brain damage, but she has not had one developmental delay. In fact, she is so very verbose that I wish I could filter. Her big siblings wish the same as she tattles on everything they say and do....sometimes to complete strangers.

I am teaching music at a private school. I love it. I've been doing community theater. (I was in My Fair Lady as about 6 different 'extras,' I sang in the Latin Choir for Hunchback of Notre Dame, and I played Sally Simpson in The Who's Tommy. Those were all in 2017. I've made good friends in the theater. I'm thinking about future auditions. It's a blast!)

I am pretty busy these days, but I am curious about how everyone here is doing. I hope to pop in from time to time.

• Like 22

Hi! glad you are back!  I'm retired from homeschooling now, too -but stick around for the great convo.  I am right at this very minute cleaning out the last of my homeschool closet at dh's insistence. It's very, very hard.  

I have two graduated and 2 at a performing arts highschool. I keep trying to get them to afterschool with me, but no takers.  I just started self-paced Omnibus II by myself since no one will join me... and I'm really enjoying it.

so glad to hear your update and that you are doing well. Glad for you that the drama has died down.  Yes, oral narration is really, really great for kids with LD's!!!!!  It's like a magic trick! 

:laugh:

• Like 1

Hi! glad you are back!  I'm retired from homeschooling now, too -but stick around for the great convo.  I am right at this very minute cleaning out the last of my homeschool closet at dh's insistence. It's very, very hard.  

I have two graduated and 2 at a performing arts highschool. I keep trying to get them to afterschool with me, but no takers.  I just started self-paced Omnibus II by myself since no one will join me... and I'm really enjoying it.

so glad to hear your update and that you are doing well. Glad for you that the drama has died down.  Yes, oral narration is really, really great for kids with LD's!!!!!  It's like a magic trick! 

:laugh:

I can still convince the littlest to do a bit with me. Happy Phonics. Building with Cuisenaire Rods. Read alouds and oral narration.

Congrats to you for a happy retirement from a job well done! Self-educating is a great idea. I may follow that lead.