Menu

Calendar year schoolers...

Regarding seasonal eating- as we try hard to eat just form the garden ., I can tell you we have been harvesting tomatoes since mid-December. We also have corn, beans, snow peas, carrots, leaks (are year round) onions, capsicum, Lettice, cucumbers and beetroot. Berries have just finished and apples are just starting.

We don't grow brassica during the summer because of caterpillars, but it does grow atm.  

Dd says "Thanks Melissa!"

Yeah we have a row of caterpillar eaten brassica in!

At the moment we're harvesting zucchini and capsicum! We have a couple of tomatoes starting to turn orange.

We did morning time and maths today. Then I had to put on my project manager hat and sort some things with the builder. Then it was - is - too darn hot! Blergh. So a less than stellar end to our first week...

Also waiting to hear again from my friend who 'maybe might be' going into labour 😲

• Like 3

twins are the only ones I am homeschooling atm.

we did Rod and Staff preschool books - just 3 pages left  :hurray:

Math workbook - learning numbers up to 40- I printed it off the internet - plus skip counting by 10s

Narration - the tin soldier

1 page of Fitzroy alphabet book

Penmanship

WriteShop

AAR half of lesson 13

Reading Eggs

that was the whole morning

we went for a trip to the library to hand in summer reading competition forms and run errands in the afternoon.

Just realized we have managed to do the first 4 chapters of SOTW Middle ages so far this year. We are doing it a bit different this year as we are making it all into a book instead of just sticking everything into a folder.

DS14 will start on Monday

• Like 2

I don't notice the progress so much, but all the therapists tell me it is amazing. To me it seems very slow going. 

Twin one has plastic AFOs on his feet up to his knees. Yesterday he told me that he feels like I am Beowulf when I put his AFOs on - that it feels like I am twisting his legs off.... I am pleased he is remembering his classics but am not sure of me being likened to Beowulf....... at least now he has some vocabulary to describe what things feel like. 

• Like 2

That reminds me of the time the vision therapist tried to win DS over by telling him how clever he is. He muttered to me, "Do not let flattery throw you off your guard against an enemy!"

He came across that line through his interest in Greek mythology. :D

• Like 2

already made changes to the curriculum plans for all kids. 

DS14 is doing IEW SLOWLY

AAS starting at book 5. I am trying to get him to shift from LEM - LEM is no longer helping him.

Twins changing from Saxon book K to book 1

Have any of you changed your curriculum plans the first few weeks in?

• Like 1

I tweaked our roll-out a little. Daily subjects are well underway, and we've added Tue/Thu history and Wed science. Next week we start Mon/Fri grammar.

Once all that has settled we'll start morning time.

Things are going really smoothly so far. Short lessons and short breaks are working wonders.

• Like 2

I haven't changed anything, but these two weeks have been good to see how/if everything fits. I'm making some small adjustments to the routine but I'm pretty happy with all our actual curriculum choices so far!

I just need to organise myself a little better, some lesson plans were in different notebooks, must consolidate to a master list!

• Like 2

Wow, I missed this thread way back when it was started, but we calendar-year school too  :seeya:

We decided to send DS on vacation with relatives to another country 2 weeks into out school year. So he's been out, "experiencing" the history he learned about in the past couple of years. They went to the ruins of an ancient city and he told his uncle "I want to go to more ancient cities like this!" It was his favorite part of the trip thus far. 

He's coming back this weekend. 

Within the first 2 weeks, yes, we did change some things. Mostly just small tweaks, schedule adjustments, etc. I try to keep changes on the DL(down-low/covert) so DS doesn't think we can change things whenever we feel like it. His personality would have him getting ideas that he can suddenly declare math and writing no longer part of school.  :smilielol5:

I take a class one morning a week, and DS has to do his schoolwork during or before my class. I had accidentally scheduled an oral class for him for that day, and had to change that around. When I was making the schedule, my class was on break and I forgot that I wouldn't be able to read him a story/give a lecture while I was in class  :laugh: So I switched that (I think it was history) around with a more independent subject. So we'll have to give that part of our schedule a try this week.

One thing we changed was that I was going to teach Arabic grammar and vocab as separate classes, just as a part of his Arabic copywork, but ended up going with a textbook instead. Story below, if anyone is interested.  :laugh:

I had planned to just point out grammar and vocab words in the copywork sentences. It was getting too disjointed for my tastes, so I picked up a textbook (from our shelf, didn't have to drop $$ on it) and we started using that. It's been going surprisingly well! It's not a book intended for kids, but is intended to be a self-teaching course for non-Arabic English speakers. They do have a kids version of the book, and that just reminded me - I was planning to look into using it since the adult book only has grainy black and white pictures, while the kids book has nicer, color pictures.

• Like 1