Menu

What's with the ads?

Pegs

Calendar year schoolers...

I love these sorts of threads. 

It's great to hear the nitty gritty of everyone's daily homeschooling. Love it.

Yesterday for us:

- a cello lesson in the morning (but our rental cello is still in for repairs  :( )

- spelling (commonly misspelt words taken from Webster's Word Power)

- Navajo Codetalkers - reading together with discussion

- independent reading (she finished a book in a series and declared herself in 'the deep pit of book grief')

- crochet (of course) - there's now a new listing on my daughter's Etsy shop and she was quite thrilled to see that someone somewhere has 'favourited' her shop  :thumbup1:

- Korean lesson

- creative writing

- fitness

- lots of general knowledge quizzes over dinner with the whole family. Good fun. Lots of laughs. Pegs, we'll have to do this when you visit. Start practising your buzzer sound  :D .

Hmm. No maths or science yesterday. That's unusual, but we'll balance out over the week.

I hope you all have a lovely day today.

• Like 3

I can play again!

This is yesterday's blog post.

Miss Muffety must have finally relaxed properly, because she had a good sleep 12 hours sleep last night. When she woke up, she very quietly snuggled up in bed with her Harry Potter book, as any self respecting child who claims they don't want to wake their mother does (not that she can tell when I'm awake, though I can tell when she is from the light under the door) when they really want to read their book instead of doing school. :D When I went in to say good morning, she had only a few pages to go, and no reasonable parent can interrupt a child when they only have a few pages left. School can wait. Even breakfast is going to have to wait, lol.

When school time finally arrived, we read a botany lesson, another section of 'Queen Bees,' and finished the sex ed book. Her next book, 'The Little Red Book' which is about first period stories, not communism, is assigned reading. I'm sure I'd have died of embarrassment if my mother had given me something like that, but Zia is not me. She cracks me up! Since we now have a reading slot opened up in our schedule, I suggested we read more of our other read alouds, but she wasn't keen. 'Queen Bees' is necessary, but not enjoyable, and neither of us care how long it takes to get through the Indian myths book. I suggested we read some feminist books, and she responded enthusiastically. So, we'll start off with one I haven't read before, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's 'We Should All Be Feminists,' while we wait for our next sex ed book to arrive. 

Zia had a play with her picture study cards while I ordered the new books and did a few other administrative tasks, then we flicked through a chapter of the kitchen witch book on seasonal recipes. We thought some were a bit gimmicky, and not at all appropriate to our climate, but she liked the idea anyway. She knew what seasonal eating meant, which was good, but, we wondered, how local do the seasons need to be? Seasonal in our hemisphere? Our country? Our state? Our backyard? Zia offered our town as suitably local, so she dictated a post for me to put on the local FB page, asking about the tomato harvest status. The first lot I put in are nowhere near ripe and the later ones are flowering, but that's all. One respondent told a story about seasonal eating from her own family history, which was nice, and while we're on the topic, I pulled out John Seymour's sustainable farming book, and his autobiography. I was going to get dd to read the latter to me after we'd finished the 3rd Parker reader, but fate determined otherwise. Perhaps she'll get bored of reading Roald Dahl in the car and read these.

We watched another 'Tudor Farm' episode and **finally** Uncle Boris came back! He'd gone out three hours earlier to check if he needed out help collecting SIDS bags and we'd been waiting for him to come back for us. Turns out he didn't because he thought we were too busy, but we were only doing busy things while we waited! Anyhow, since he's back, Zia roped him into a game of Cluedo. Then, while I was grocery shopping, a game of the Recycling Game. Then when I got back, both of us into a game of Cashflow 101! She turned down a trip to the swimming pool for all this. Weird kid!

When Cashflow, which is a very long game, was finally over, Zia helped Uncle Boris make dinner and we watched Mahabarat #56.

Regarding seasonal eating- as we try hard to eat just form the garden ., I can tell you we have been harvesting tomatoes since mid-December. We also have corn, beans, snow peas, carrots, leaks (are year round) onions, capsicum, Lettice, cucumbers and beetroot. Berries have just finished and apples are just starting.

We don't grow brassica during the summer because of caterpillars, but it does grow atm.  

• Like 2

Regarding seasonal eating- as we try hard to eat just form the garden ., I can tell you we have been harvesting tomatoes since mid-December. We also have corn, beans, snow peas, carrots, leaks (are year round) onions, capsicum, Lettice, cucumbers and beetroot. Berries have just finished and apples are just starting.

We don't grow brassica during the summer because of caterpillars, but it does grow atm.  

Dd says "Thanks Melissa!"

Yeah we have a row of caterpillar eaten brassica in!

At the moment we're harvesting zucchini and capsicum! We have a couple of tomatoes starting to turn orange.

We did morning time and maths today. Then I had to put on my project manager hat and sort some things with the builder. Then it was - is - too darn hot! Blergh. So a less than stellar end to our first week...

Also waiting to hear again from my friend who 'maybe might be' going into labour 😲

• Like 3

Exciting not-quite-news about your friend, LMD!

We've done reading, spelling, history today. Maths and writing still to come.

Hey Rosie, you can let dd know that we have sunflowers in bloom here. :)

• Like 2

twins are the only ones I am homeschooling atm.

we did Rod and Staff preschool books - just 3 pages left  :hurray:

Math workbook - learning numbers up to 40- I printed it off the internet - plus skip counting by 10s

Narration - the tin soldier

1 page of Fitzroy alphabet book

Penmanship

WriteShop

AAR half of lesson 13

Reading Eggs

that was the whole morning

we went for a trip to the library to hand in summer reading competition forms and run errands in the afternoon.

Just realized we have managed to do the first 4 chapters of SOTW Middle ages so far this year. We are doing it a bit different this year as we are making it all into a book instead of just sticking everything into a folder.

DS14 will start on Monday

• Like 2

Those twins of yours have come such a long way, Melissa! What a great start to the school year.

• Like 2

I don't notice the progress so much, but all the therapists tell me it is amazing. To me it seems very slow going. 

Twin one has plastic AFOs on his feet up to his knees. Yesterday he told me that he feels like I am Beowulf when I put his AFOs on - that it feels like I am twisting his legs off.... I am pleased he is remembering his classics but am not sure of me being likened to Beowulf....... at least now he has some vocabulary to describe what things feel like. 

• Like 2

That reminds me of the time the vision therapist tried to win DS over by telling him how clever he is. He muttered to me, "Do not let flattery throw you off your guard against an enemy!"

He came across that line through his interest in Greek mythology. :D

• Like 2

already made changes to the curriculum plans for all kids. 

DS14 is doing IEW SLOWLY

AAS starting at book 5. I am trying to get him to shift from LEM - LEM is no longer helping him.

Twins changing from Saxon book K to book 1

Have any of you changed your curriculum plans the first few weeks in?

• Like 1

I tweaked our roll-out a little. Daily subjects are well underway, and we've added Tue/Thu history and Wed science. Next week we start Mon/Fri grammar.

Once all that has settled we'll start morning time.

Things are going really smoothly so far. Short lessons and short breaks are working wonders.

• Like 2

I haven't changed anything, but these two weeks have been good to see how/if everything fits. I'm making some small adjustments to the routine but I'm pretty happy with all our actual curriculum choices so far!

I just need to organise myself a little better, some lesson plans were in different notebooks, must consolidate to a master list!

• Like 2

Wow, I missed this thread way back when it was started, but we calendar-year school too  :seeya:

We decided to send DS on vacation with relatives to another country 2 weeks into out school year. So he's been out, "experiencing" the history he learned about in the past couple of years. They went to the ruins of an ancient city and he told his uncle "I want to go to more ancient cities like this!" It was his favorite part of the trip thus far. 

He's coming back this weekend. 

Within the first 2 weeks, yes, we did change some things. Mostly just small tweaks, schedule adjustments, etc. I try to keep changes on the DL(down-low/covert) so DS doesn't think we can change things whenever we feel like it. His personality would have him getting ideas that he can suddenly declare math and writing no longer part of school.  :smilielol5:

I take a class one morning a week, and DS has to do his schoolwork during or before my class. I had accidentally scheduled an oral class for him for that day, and had to change that around. When I was making the schedule, my class was on break and I forgot that I wouldn't be able to read him a story/give a lecture while I was in class  :laugh: So I switched that (I think it was history) around with a more independent subject. So we'll have to give that part of our schedule a try this week.

One thing we changed was that I was going to teach Arabic grammar and vocab as separate classes, just as a part of his Arabic copywork, but ended up going with a textbook instead. Story below, if anyone is interested.  :laugh:

I had planned to just point out grammar and vocab words in the copywork sentences. It was getting too disjointed for my tastes, so I picked up a textbook (from our shelf, didn't have to drop $$ on it) and we started using that. It's been going surprisingly well! It's not a book intended for kids, but is intended to be a self-teaching course for non-Arabic English speakers. They do have a kids version of the book, and that just reminded me - I was planning to look into using it since the adult book only has grainy black and white pictures, while the kids book has nicer, color pictures.

• Like 2