Menu

Life of Dread (LOF) - nicknames for curricula

luuknam

11 members have voted

1. 1. What's the correct title?

• Life of Fred
    • Life of Dread
    • Other

My oldest hates writing. He called Writing With Ease “Writing Without Easeâ€. Which then became a family joke because we always called it that and then discovered years later that our youngest thought that it was “Writing Without E’s (the letter)â€. And we all agreed that would indeed be a challenge...no words with Es allowed. :) 

• Like 17

My oldest hates writing. He called Writing With Ease “Writing Without Easeâ€. Which then became a family joke because we always called it that and then discovered years later that our youngest thought that it was “Writing Without E’s (the letter)â€. And we all agreed that would indeed be a challenge...no words with Es allowed. :)

Your youngest's confusion is hilarious. Does he know about the novel that someone(can't remember) wrote entirely with no E's?

• Like 4

We’ve started to sing “He did the math—-he did the monster math†when we pull out Beast Academy. :)

I am totally going to use this when 2B comes out.  Although, Mommy singing is a punishment in our household.  For example, if DD is slow to brush her teeth at night, I sing The ToothBrush Time song until she does. I wouldn't recognize the right note if it hit me.  

On the no 'e's topic.   Hemingway did some writing using only the letters on one half the keyboard because a cat had his other hand.  

• Like 2

AOPS Geometry became APOS here for awhile when DD was really annoyed with it (DH is a Point of Sale software engineer, and well, the other POS acronym sometimes gets used, especially when he’s working with those little credit card scanners that have to interface with the computer running the POS software...)

• Like 7

The year we did Classical Conversations and I was a tutor there, my husband always called it "Carnival conversations" - which was funny, he thought it was a bit of a busy circus.

I once heard Math-U-see called "Mickey mouse math" as a put-down and mentioned this to my oldest when I wanted to switch to a more rigorous math for Algebra.  We switched, she hated it, and begged to go back to, quote "the Mickey mouse math" .   which we did. 

• Like 4

Math-U-See was changed to Math-U-Feel by my older kids who thought it was hilarious to point out math errors made by their younger brother by bopping him on the head or punching him in the arm. They claim they were just showing brotherly love, but younger son already disliked math and I'm not sure this helped. Of course, now that he's older, he thinks it's pretty funny. 

• Like 5

These are funny.

One of my kids thought the math program was “Matthew Sea.†I guess he thought the guy’s name was Matthew.

There was an Asian-American boy in our hs circle whose name was indeed Matthew See -- a source of great merriment! (to us, at least lol)

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 2

The amazing thing is that WWS is, now,  the one writing tool he touts of being of worth.  :laugh:

Mine loathed Writing With Skill and made big Complaints about it, so I went on a curriculum hunt and eventually found Classical Writing, which I love and will never abandon, regardless of Complaints.

Lo and behold, she now thinks Writing With Skill was the best writing program ever and if we could just go back to it she wouldn't whine at all she promises!

Haha, nope.  I have changed math curricula a zillion times, I'm willing for her to do whatever she wants with science and history - but I am committed to Classical Writing.  I think she wishes she'd never complained!  Life lesson.

• Like 4

Your youngest's confusion is hilarious. Does he know about the novel that someone(can't remember) wrote entirely with no E's?

I found a "Poem without An E"

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2012/01/09/poem-without-an-e/

“Poem Without an Eâ€

John Knox was a man of wondrous might,

And his words ran high and shrill,

For bold and stout was his spirit bright,

And strong was his stalwart will.

Kings sought in vain his mind to chain,

And that giant brain to control,

But naught on plain or stormy main

Could daunt that mighty soul.

John would sit and sigh till morning cold

Its shining lamps put out,

For thoughts untold on his mind lay hold,

And brought but pain and doubt.

But light at last on his soul was cast,

Away sank pain and sorrow,

His soul is gay, in a fair to-day,

And looks for a bright to-morrow.

— “Unidentified,†in Current Opinion, July 1888

• Like 8

Awesome! I’ll have to show that to my kids.

At the time my daughter (the one who thought it was Writing Without E’s) was learning to read and doing phonics. So her world was all about letters and sounds and it kind of made sense for her to hear it that way. But still funny.

• Like 2

I found a "Poem without An E"

https://www.futilitycloset.com/2012/01/09/poem-without-an-e/

“Poem Without an Eâ€

John Knox was a man of wondrous might,

And his words ran high and shrill,

For bold and stout was his spirit bright,

And strong was his stalwart will.

Kings sought in vain his mind to chain,

And that giant brain to control,

But naught on plain or stormy main

Could daunt that mighty soul.

John would sit and sigh till morning cold

Its shining lamps put out,

For thoughts untold on his mind lay hold,

And brought but pain and doubt.

But light at last on his soul was cast,

Away sank pain and sorrow,

His soul is gay, in a fair to-day,

And looks for a bright to-morrow.

— “Unidentified,†in Current Opinion, July 1888

The one I was thinking about was "Gadsby" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadsby_(novel)

• Like 1