Menu

Will coconut oil soften my feet?

Debbi in Texas

I don't think so - not on its own. It's just an oil and all that does is prevent moisture from leaving but you need to put moisture in.

You need to soak, scrape the dead skin, then apply a rich moisturizer to trap the moisture in.  For best results, do it at night, slather on some thick lotion and put on thin socks you don't mind getting greasy. Do this a bunch of nights in a row and you should start seeing results. 

• Like 7

I do fine with Nivea. Slather at bedtime. Maybe a few other times.

I had some cracked when I started.

DH has required a doctor. But he was hit by a car, and the circulation in his foot has changed.

Eta. Apple cider vinegar made a fabulous foot soak. Really got the dead skin.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

My heels used to get thick dry skin and then crack.  I needed to soak and exfoliate a couple times a week for about three weeks, and apply moisturize following the treatment as well as in the morning and before going to bed. I use a combo of coconut oil, shea butter, and lanolin.  I slather it on and put on socks.  Now my feet stay nice if I exfoliate them during my shower and then moisturize. 

• Like 2

I don't think so - not on its own. It's just an oil and all that does is prevent moisture from leaving but you need to put moisture in.

You need to soak, scrape the dead skin, then apply a rich moisturizer to trap the moisture in.  For best results, do it at night, slather on some thick lotion and put on thin socks you don't mind getting greasy. Do this a bunch of nights in a row and you should start seeing results. 

:iagree:  Yes, soaking the skin and getting rid of the dry, cracked skin is the best thing. I use a stone exfoliating scrub. It works really well in getting rid of painful cracks. 

• Like 3

O'Keefe's foot creme is an absolute miracle in getting rid of cracked, callused heels and feet for good. Just put it on after a bath, put on some fluffy socks, repeat daily and you'll be amazed. After the callus problem is fixed, when it flares up again, one or two treatments takes care of it.

Lol I really am not affiliated with the company :D

• Like 1

I use Baby Feet foot peel when my feet a really rough. It works great. You don’t want to use with any scratches or open cuts though, it will sting. After the peeling stops I just moisturize with whatever lotion we have around. My feet stay soft for several months at a minimum.

I heard great things about Baby Feet so I bought it and tried it one night. My feet were so bad that it did nothing except make my feet look worse. I then bought the highest rated foot rasp on Amazon. It works well and there’s no fussing with thick creams and socks. At a certain point when the skin is thick and cracked, the damaged skin just has to come off.

• Like 3

O'Keefe's foot creme is an absolute miracle in getting rid of cracked, callused heels and feet for good. Just put it on after a bath, put on some fluffy socks, repeat daily and you'll be amazed. After the callus problem is fixed, when it flares up again, one or two treatments takes care of it.

I use Flexitol, which like O Keefe's has an exfoliant in it. But maybe I'll try O'Keefe's next. https://www.amazon.com/Flexitol-Heel-Balm-Tube-Moisturizing/dp/B0013H8M5E

SaveSave

• Like 2

My heels do that too.

I use the loofah soap from Chagrin Valley Soap in the shower. Then I use Gold Bond Healing cream. Sometimes Aquafor. It helps.

ETA: my dad has trouble with cracked fingertips and my mom bought him O'Keefe's for his Christmas stocking. IDK if it has helped yet, though.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

You need to soak, scrape the dead skin, then apply a rich moisturizer to trap the moisture in. For best results, do it at night, slather on some thick lotion and put on thin socks you don't mind getting greasy. Do this a bunch of nights in a row and you should start seeing results.

This.i used to have the dry skin thing as a teenager, when I went barefoot a lot in the summer.

What I find very helpful is Johnson's Foot Soap, which has been around forever. You dump a packet in a little tub of very hot water and soak your feet in it. It totally softens your feet. Then use a foot file to take away rough skin.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Foot-Soap-Ounce/dp/B000GCIBI0/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515296308&sr=8-2&keywords=dr+johnsons+foot+soap

To finish, I like JR Watkins Foot Lotion. It has peppermint in it, so gently stimulating.

https://www.amazon.com/Watkins-Peppermint-Rejuvenating-Foot-Cream-11/dp/B0010EO0YW/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515296664&sr=8-1&keywords=jr+watkins+foot+lotion

• Like 1

I soak, scrape, use a shea butter lotion, and put socks on if it's not too hot in the house. Wearing socks after putting on lotion really seems to help, but you have to get the dead, dry skin off to begin with. You can't really soften rough skin. Removing it and trying to prevent more is the only real way to get rid of it.

• Like 2

Yes!!!

When I was pregnant, my feet were painfully cracked and horrible! This was such a foot saver. Now I use this when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think I'm the only person on the planet for whom O'Keefe's did nothing. The only thing that works for me is a pedicure every 2 weeks.

I don't know about feet, but their hand lotion is useless for my dry hands and cracked cuticles. Aquaphor is a million times better. I suspect what works or not is very individual, though.

• Like 2

I think I'm the only person on the planet for whom O'Keefe's did nothing. The only thing that works for me is a pedicure every 2 weeks.

And in a pedicure they soak your feet and then rub off the layer and layers of dry skin causing the cracks. No moisturizer is going to eliminate all that dead skin.

• Like 2

My dd has really dry, cracked hands, feet, and elbows.  We found a process that helped!  

1. She showered and gently exfoliated, being sure not to open any cracks in her skin. (Wait 30-60 min. before doing anything else if you do!)  

2. Then, about 15 minutes after the shower, we applied an AHA exfoliant (we used Paula's Choice 8% AHA gel, but you can use anything with 8-10% AHA (glycolic acid), maybe even more depending on how your skin takes it) and let it soak in.  

3. Then, we slathered on CereVe's Healing Ointment.  You can use any really thick ointment or balm.  Bonus points if it contains: shea butter, lanolin, lactic acid, and/or some form of urea PLUS some kind of skin protectant that seals in moisture like dimethicone or petrolatum.

4. Cover with gloves, socks, and for her elbows, tube socks with toes cut off to make a sleeve!  She went to bed like this and came to me wide-eyed and thrilled to see a major difference in the morning!  LOL  

There are a lot of great products out there; I think the exfoliation without harsh scrubbing is KEY along with whatever you choose to use.

Last year I bought the Amope kit from Costco (you can get it anywhere but it was the best deal there) and it has changed my life! My feet are healthier than they’ve ever been. Once they are in good shape, I just use it occasionally but I try to put cream on my feet before bed with socks over top. It’s been an adjustment sleeping with socks but has helped so much.

If you soak your feet in vinegar for at least 20 minutes twice a day and then use a pumice stone at the end of each soaking your feet will be back to baby smooth in less than a week.  Now - you may not want baby smooth feet - if you work on your feet or walk a lot or do some other activity you might miss a bit of your calluses.  But it will work if that's what you want.

Get a plastic boot box and a new pumice stone from dollar tree, pour in some vinegar (at least an inch), maybe a few drops of essential oil to make it smell better (peppermint oil is cheap and widely available).  Store it under your bed or under your couch, and put your feet in twice a day. When it starts to look gross from skin flakes (3-5 days), dump it and get new.  When you pull your feet out, have a towel ready, and some heavy moisturizer or vaseline, and some socks.

Warning: be very careful to keep electronics and chargers away.  If your kid accidentally drops a charger or something inside it will be ruined in less than two seconds.