Menu

Do I need to get over this?? Thinking out loud

Moxie

You would think so but really there is not. Idk, I need something interesting/exciting. I already volunteer part-time but I would never say that that is for me.

Do you have any sort of organizing/organizing merchandise stores in your area that would be a good place to find a part time job? Something like California Closets that might also give you an opportunity to help clients design organized spaces?

• Like 2

Do you have any sort of organizing/organizing merchandise stores in your area that would be a good place to find a part time job? Something like California Closets that might also give you an opportunity to help clients design organized spaces?

No and I can’t commit to anything with set hours right now.

I have never sold ThirtyOne stuff, but I did sell Pampered Chef. I know the MLMs say it is flexible, but to be successful, you really better be making it a regular, set hours, taking a lot of time kind of thing. They make it seem way easier than it really is, especially once all of the easy shows are booked and over with. I gave up in 2006 or 2007. Given the large quantities of quality kitchen tools easily and readily available on the market now? There’s really no reason to buy Pampered Chef. Amazon delivers it to my door for free and doesn’t pester me to book a show.

I think the only way an MLM would maybe be something I’d consider is if it was just starting and the market was more forgiving/not over saturated. The people who get in early are the ones who end up on top.

ThirtyOne’s been around for awhile, right?

• Like 6

Is that really a thing? I would love that kind of job.

I have seen such a thing. A law firm where I worked had such an employee. As long as she could produce the requested file or documents when the lawyers wanted it, they did not appear to care one jot how she organized it.

I have never sold ThirtyOne stuff, but I did sell Pampered Chef. I know the MLMs say it is flexible, but to be successful, you really better be making it a regular, set hours, taking a lot of time kind of thing. They make it seem way easier than it really is, especially once all of the easy shows are booked and over with. I gave up in 2006 or 2007. Given the large quantities of quality kitchen tools easily and readily available on the market now? There’s really no reason to buy Pampered Chef. Amazon delivers it to my door for free and doesn’t pester me to book a show.

I think the only way an MLM would maybe be something I’d consider is if it was just starting and the market was more forgiving/not over saturated. The people who get in early are the ones who end up on top.

there's a reason you can buy now buy tupperware on amazon  . . . .

eta: pampered chef too.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Yes, that was my experience with Tupperware, too - they heavily market to SAHMs, touting it as a way to “be home†with your kids, but it’s not really true. There was a “pep rally†type meeting every week we had best attend, then at least two parties - that’s three weeknights now - then on weekends, pick up goods from distributor, pack out parties, deliver to customers. Deal with inevitable backorders/defective return/order was mispacked/whatever. Call future party hosts and try to hype them up/make sure they are inviting people. Shake the money tree, shake the money tree, shake the money tree...

The distributors kept saying they were SAHMs, but they ate, slept and breathed Tupperware and constantly bought new inventory.

• Like 3

I have seen such a thing. A law firm where I worked had such an employee. As long as she could produce the requested file or documents when the lawyers wanted it, they did not appear to care one jot how she organized it.

I would say business and legal documentation is 90%+ electronic now. Businesses don't store paper records....except maybe banks? The company I work for rents out our unused document storage space to a local bank.

I would say business and legal documentation is 90%+ electronic now. Businesses don't store paper records....except maybe banks? The company I work for rents out our unused document storage space to a local bank.

Ah, well thats probably true. #olddog #whatcenturyisthis

• Like 5

Sometimes libraries need volunteers to help catalogue, prep books and take old stuff old the shelf.  I love getting a brand new book and taping it up to be ready to be borrowed.

I've also volunteered at a number of small town non profits, and they almost all have a messy room / shed / storage area with years of stuff that needs to be taken care of.   Once I volunteered to clear up the room that held the Girl Scouts storage for the town.  I didn't touch stuff belonging to current troops .  But 40 years of books, uniforms, camping supplies, flags, ceremonial props, craft stuff, knot tying guides, awards, banners, etc took several satisfying weeks to sort out , at the pace of a few hours here and there. It was sweet to projects done by girls who are probably grandmothers by now.   There are similar rooms for all kinds of civic groups.

If your church or volunteer group puts on an auction or a performance , they certainly need help. I once helped put together a talent show.  It didn't raise an enormous amount of money (maybe $2000?) but it was a lot of fun.

• Like 2

If you like the idea of organizing, selling (but not to friends and family), and monogrammed bags (looked up 31 bags and that's what it looks like it is), why not start your own small business, sell online -facebook, Etsy, etc.?  The vast majority of a craft business is the business part - probably 80% of it is the business part.  If that is what you want to do, and you don't want to sell to friends and family, what you want is a small business without the MLM part of it.

• Like 2

I’m a part-time merchandiser for American Greeting Cards. I love it & have been doing it for almost 4 Years. I work a few hours a week (a little more during holiday changeover). Maybe you’d like something like that? I get a schedule on Sunday & I can go take care of my assignments anytime I feel like. I work alone, wear regular clothes, I just organize the card department & put an order away if I need too.. It’s really easy and fun for me. I only have 4 stores, but some people have a lot more. I used to have 10 stores, and that was still very flexible and easy. For me, four is perfect though because it’s just so low key and I can do it all in one morning. I just put my paycheck in our savings account. It really adds up over time 😊 Just a thought

• Like 8

I’m a part-time merchandiser for American Greeting Cards. I love it & have been doing it for almost 4 Years. I work a few hours a week (a little more during holiday changeover). Maybe you’d like something like that? I get a schedule on Sunday & I can go take care of my assignments anytime I feel like. I work alone, wear regular clothes, I just organize the card department & put an order away if I need too.. It’s really easy and fun for me. I only have 4 stores, but some people have a lot more. I used to have 10 stores, and that was still very flexible and easy. For me, four is perfect though because it’s just so low key and I can do it all in one morning. I just put my paycheck in our savings account. It really adds up over time 😊 Just a thought

How does one apply for that? It sounds perfect!

• Like 1

I sent you a PM.

No idea, but want to say that 31 Bags is the ONLY MLM I buy from. I do love their stuff, and have found it to be good quality. I have the great big flat bottomed tote, that I got when my DD7 was born as a gift, and it still looks practically new! It is great for taking a bunch of stuff to grandma's! Or library books!

And I use one of their bags as a diaper bag as well. Has held up great. 

My friend is some sort of regional director and posts something mentioning the words "31 bags" at least once a month. It is usually pictures of her kids using a bag or something she is using a bag for in her car or home. If she is not supposed to promote it on FB, then someone needs to tell her.

You can show how you do use it in regular pictures(like posting a picture of all your luggage on the way to a vacation and mentioning it’s all 31 product, but you can’t say “buy it!â€) but you aren’t supposed to say you sell it or post any sales/asking for sales on your personal Facebook. You have to start a private group that people can join and post away in that. I do suspect people start a private group and then add everyone they know to it.

Start organizing.   Put out a facebook page and offer a free consultation.   You may be surprised at who recommends you.  Because if you are an organized person, your family/friends/acquaintances know it and will pass your name around.  People who need to declutter or downsize are other possibilities as well.  Heck, one friend I know hired someone to organize her move by overseeing the movers packing it up and then directing where all the boxes should go in the new place.  Said it was the least stressful move ever.   Make a page, see what happens.

• Like 2

There doesn’t exist a job with zero impact on your time, energy, or family. Family’s adjust to mom working. It can be logistically tricky to start, but if you need the money it’s worth finding your groove. I think even low-paying jobs will make more than most MLMs. So many people lose money on those schemes.

• Like 4

I can have, um, strong opinions ☺ï¸.

One of them is about MLM organizations. I dislike them. I think they prey on desperate people and I hate the idea that “friends and family are your first customersâ€.

But I love Thirty One products. I love organizing. My kids are all in school so I need *something* but a job with a schedule won’t work for our family. Maybe this is what I’ve been looking for? But, man, I hate the idea of being in an MLM. But maybe I’m just stubborn??

Meh.

It's not in my comfort zone but it's a long shot from preying.  When I think prey - I think some poor, unsuspecting, silly, grass eating, defenseless mammal, eating breakfast when something with teeth comes and rips it apart.

"Do you want to buy my stuff?" 

"Um, no."

Yeah, no preying.

But I admit the only MLM bandwagon I jumped in on was Scentsy.

Didn't do LuLa Roe.  I only do Aura Cacia oils.  Not a bag person.  

You will find MLM almost impossible with your mindset though.  To profit you will need to push pretty hard.  I do not think it would be successful for you personally because of your current frame of mind.  That's not a bad thing, just a recognition.

By the kit, enjoy the products, and sell a little here and there if you want.

I’m waiting for the next kit to come out(I don’t really like their current one) and then will probably re sign up. But I only do it because I like the products for cheap.

This is what I have always wanted to do with 31. I really like their stuff. I did a party once just because I really really like their stuff. A couple of my friends have asked me since to join so I can throw a party for them to be the hostess because they really like the stuff. The majority of the people who bought from my party were people like me who like 31 and buy occasionally and want to buy from a friend. 

I don't want to be a salesman, but I have considered buying the kit and letting people know that I am selling for just that couple of months til it runs out and deactivates me too in case anybody wants it. I am glad to know that is possible. Every time I think  about it I figure there must be something that doesn't allow you to actually do just buy the kit and do nothing else.  If I bought a kit every couple of years to renew our own bags that would satisfy my 31 shopping bug at a reasonable price! 

PS right now they are having a huge clearance (customer appreciation) sale if you haven't seen it. Some super cute stuff is on sale. I have a cart full right now! 

I know a woman who sells essential oils and only sells to her friends and gives her rate, so wholesale prices. She's going strong after several years. Not rich, but meets quotas to stay in and she is NEVER pushy. 

I like what MedicMom does. 

I'm so glad you are my people. I hate the prey-upon-MLM style too!