Menu

Would you pay for tattoo for 18th bday gift?

Joker

214 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for dc tattoo?

• Yes
    • No
    • There's always an other

I have tattoos, I like tattoos, I disagree with someone that young making a permanent change. I wouldn’t pay for implants either.

I don't see implants as being the same at all. I wouldn't pay for those either. None of us here have piercings either, not even ears. Ds is now the only one of us with a tattoo. I guess we just all think of these things in very different ways.

• Like 1

I voted yes, but could/should probably have voted other. 

I'd have rules, but if the child met those rules/conditions, I'd do it. 

Our family rule is you have to want the same thing, in the same place, for at least a year. Then you can get it. If the whatever the kid wanted met those conditions (*or perhaps if not, if it was articulated in a way that made me believe it would stand the test of time), I'd do it/pay for it for them. 

But, I'm the only one in the family with tattoos, and likely the only one who ever will have them (in the immediate family) so it's kind of a moot point for us. 

Anyway, I voted yes, but if they met the above conditions. 

We've said no to our dd. But I'm rethinking...it's meaningful, crazy small, and not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. We'd get a lot of cool parent points if we helped her navigate this. She could do it and pay for it on her own anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

This brings up/reminds me of one other aspect --- if I am paying for it, I get to pick the place, and therefore, make sure it's a place I trust to do it. 

My nieces got tattoos, one of them for her 18th bday, but their mom/my sister let the girls pick the place. I shuddered when we went in, it just was such a sketchy/questionable place. 

At least if I pay, I get to pick the place and make sure it's up to my standards of safety, cleanliness, etc. 

• Like 2

Absolutely, because then I can pay more and make sure the tattoo is done by someone really, really good. I've seen some bad tattoos that happened because a teen was trying to save money by going to a cheap place. I will gladly fork over a big wad of cash if it means my kid is getting an amazing tattoo versus a crappy one.

• Like 9

Absolutely, because then I can pay more and make sure the tattoo is done by someone really, really good. I've seen some bad tattoos that happened because a teen was trying to save money by going to a cheap place. I will gladly fork over a big wad of cash if it means my kid is getting an amazing tattoo versus a crappy one.

That is a really good point. You may have swayed my answer.

• Like 1

Provided the tattoo wasn't in horrifically bad taste (and it'd have to be really awful), sure. I might ask them to wait a bit if I thought it was a spur of the moment idea, or if their ideal placement was someplace prominent that might affect employability, like the hands.

• Like 1

Other....Highly unlikely, but never say never.  LOL 

I paid for part of my daughters belly button piercing, but since that is removable, I think of it as vastly different. 

The majority of people I know (not ALL!!) who got tattoos relatively young, regretted their choice later,  Even if it was profound or meaningful to them at the time, in some cases it became a negative reminder of a time or struggle in their lives. They would rather not have something permanently displayed that others ask about and remind them of. LIke a friend with a lotus flower on her shoulder.  It was from a period of time when she left addiction behind and changed her entire life focus towards openness and healing.  It is a very special reminder to her, but people ask if she is really into yoga or other comments.  She either has to get clever with her wording, lie, or tell people the truth and reveal part of her past that se doesn't really want to talk about  with random people.  Anther has a tat of a half bloomed rose that she got with the father of her twins, who cheated on her and abandoned the kids.   And another who has a spider, which, while I know all the stories of his other tats, he doesn't tell anyone the story of the spider.   I am not sure if he is embarrassed (drank a lot in college and is known for hanging with a rowdy group of guys) or if it is a moment in time he doesn't like to resist.  Either way, I know he regrets it because it is in an obvious location and he gets asked about it. 

So, even a great tat for a great reason....not likely.  

• Like 2

I have no preference either way for tattoos.  

I probably would not directly pay for one, because I feel like a tattoo needs to be "fully owned" by the person who has it.  Both financially and responsibly.  

But I could see gifting money to an 18 year old to do with as he/she pleased, even if that money eventually went into the tattoo fund.  

• Like 2

I work in an ER and see aged tats all the time. Rarely, do I find anyone who likes his tats after age 60. By age 70, the tats are mostly disfigured to some degree. Wrinkles within the tattoo kind of defeat the purpose of body art.

• Like 2

Let me preface by saying that I have zero tattoos and zero piercings.

But knowing me, if one of my kids wants a tattoo for an 18th birthday gift, I will get really into it, become obsessed with researching designs and potential locations, weigh the merits of various tattoo studios, and finally decide I want a tattoo too...wait, wait, should we get matching tattoos? Wouldn't that be awesome?

and thus completely and totally turn my child off from ever, ever getting a tattoo. And my kid will be agonizing over whether or not to pay for a tattoo for midlife crisis Mom's birthday gift.

Seriously, I should note that I initially thought "no!" even though I generally admire (meaningful) body art, but after reading through the thread, decided my gut reaction was off.

• Like 6

I think of tattoos as limiting career options, if they are visible to the rest of the world in regular clothing.  In Japan, many dojos won't let you train with them if you have a tattoo, because they are so associated with (mobsters/mafia).  So I'd vote no right now.  But, I feel older every day, and the world keeps changing so maybe in 10 years I'll change my mind.  

No. My husband and I don’t think it’s necessary to have a tattoo in order to have a feeling of something being deeply meaningful and personally valuable.

It’s something we agree about.

It’s also something where my husband also has a strong feeling and he would have to bring it up to me for me to change my mind. I know where he stands and I would find it disrespectful in our situation to approach him with the purpose of changing his mind.

It’s been to the extent with my husband that friends of his have gotten memorial tattoos together and he hasn’t, because he has the opinion “I don’t require getting a memorial tattoo to not forget about our friend.â€

It doesn’t take away anything from anybody else, nobody gets upset with him, it is clearly deeply meaningful to other people ————— but it’s not something my husband does and I can’t see us paying for it for our kids.

My husband really sees it as “I don’t need a tattoo in order to not forget.†That is his take on it. That is how it comes across to him.

He has an impression like it’s “proof I will never forget.â€

I don’t think that’s all it is, or the real significance, to people who do it.

But to my husband it’s more that he thinks “as if I would forget unless I got a tattoo so I would be reminded by seeing it on my body.â€

So anyway — yeah, deeply held opinion there.

Edit: and when my husband hasn’t gotten memorial tattoos that people get together (going to the tattoo parlor together etc) it isn’t like anybody thinks he is a bad sport or just doesn’t care that much about his friend. He is just not someone who expresses that by getting a tattoo. It’s never made anyone think he cares/feels less about it, he’s just not going to get a tattoo.

Edited by Lecka

I also know my husband’s opinion about if someone doesn’t have enough money when the group goes together to get the tattoo.

He thinks save your money and get the tattoo later. That is advice he has given to people.

And he knows people who have done this, and gotten the matching tattoo later when they could afford it — it’s not a big deal if a person didn’t get it at the same time. Especially if the person still went and hung out with the main group when they went.

I have already promised our 17 year old that we would do exactly that.  The one she wants she designed herself and it is to celebrate the fact that she has been through hell and back and survived and is thriving.  I am not only paying for it, I am taking her to get it.  The place we are going is excellent and, in fact, the tattooer is a former physician!  He also did her adorable, tiny little nose piercing this year, which her sister paid for as a birthday present.

My twin has 5, my nephew is literally a canvas for Ken Olin and he flies all over the world to exhibitions where Ken does more work on him for competitions.  I don't have one yet, only because I can't commit to a single design, but I am very tempted this year to mark all we have been through.  Oldest has several on her calf and will be getting more to complete the design.

On the other hand, dh has one on his arm that he got in the army with no forethought whatsoever and it is a stupid parakeet.

• Like 3

No. My husband and I don’t think it’s necessary to have a tattoo in order to have a feeling of something being deeply meaningful and personally valuable.

It’s something we agree about.

It’s also something where my husband also has a strong feeling and he would have to bring it up to me for me to change my mind. I know where he stands and I would find it disrespectful in our situation to approach him with the purpose of changing his mind.

It’s been to the extent with my husband that friends of his have gotten memorial tattoos together and he hasn’t, because he has the opinion “I don’t require getting a memorial tattoo to not forget about our friend.â€

It doesn’t take away anything from anybody else, nobody gets upset with him, it is clearly deeply meaningful to other people ————— but it’s not something my husband does and I can’t see us paying for it for our kids.

My husband really sees it as “I don’t need a tattoo in order to not forget.†That is his take on it. That is how it comes across to him.

He has an impression like it’s “proof I will never forget.â€

I don’t think that’s all it is, or the real significance, to people who do it.

But to my husband it’s more that he thinks “as if I would forget unless I got a tattoo so I would be reminded by seeing it on my body.â€

So anyway — yeah, deeply held opinion there.

Edit: and when my husband hasn’t gotten memorial tattoos that people get together (going to the tattoo parlor together etc) it isn’t like anybody thinks he is a bad sport or just doesn’t care that much about his friend. He is just not someone who expresses that by getting a tattoo. It’s never made anyone think he cares/feels less about it, he’s just not going to get a tattoo.

How many times has this happened?  

I have never been asked to get a tattoo.  And I can't think of anyone who would even ask me to.

I work in an ER and see aged tats all the time. Rarely, do I find anyone who likes his tats after age 60. By age 70, the tats are mostly disfigured to some degree. Wrinkles within the tattoo kind of defeat the purpose of body art.

This is what I run into with tattoos at a young age --- I think I had to cross 28 or so before my brain really opened up to the idea that I am not a static being, that there is a lot of life to live, and that there will be major shifts in what I want or like or do or desire over my lifetime.

I have also told my DS that in addition to be extremely committed to a design (for at least a year), that also waiting until after 25 or even later would be very smart. I can tell him that I was absolutely sure of so many things before I turned 28, I was sure of my lifelong passions, sure some things would always be part of my life, and then I grew and changed and now I know I am always shifting a little. I think that if I got a tattoo now that I would be sure it was the right decision, but I know that time can shift things too and in 10 years I may be less sure. 

• Like 2

Edited:

My husband is a soldier and this is common for commemorating significant events or losses.

There’s a lot of planning involved in choosing the design.

It’s part of a grieving process for a lot of people, and my husband is part of it except he doesn’t get the tattoo.

Initials and a date someone died is common. Whenever I see initials and a date, in certain styles, I assume that is what the tattoo is.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 3

My husband is a soldier and this is extremely common when someone dies on a deployment. So sadly it has come up a few times for him.

There’s a lot of planning involved in choosing the design.

It’s part of a grieving process for a lot of people, and my husband is part of it except he doesn’t get the tattoo.

Initials and a date someone died is common. Whenever I see initials and a date, in certain styles, I assume that is what the tattoo is.

Ah, that makes more sense.  

I didn't pay but 3 of my 3 kids have tattoos and my son got his on his 18th birthday. I drove him there and observed.  Neither my husband or I has tattoos and I am particularly conservative on the topic and don't really like them.  However he chose well, the tattoo is appropriate, simple and I don't think that he will ever regret the choice he made.  (he had his Japanese family crest tattooed on his upper back)

As a note, both of my daughters have 2 tattoos, one on a wrist and one in a hidden location.  My son wants to be in the military and then become a firefighter.  He has researched grooming standards for both and his tattoo is in a location that is covered by a normal short sleeved t-shirt.

Edited by Tania

I would & I think you’ll get more negative answers in this group, not sure why just so many seem against it.

I don't think it's always a matter of being against it in some larger sense, more for me I think there are elements 18 year olds often don't really appreciate.  Mainly - you have to pay a lot for a good one, even if you do sometimes they can still not look great if you haven't chosen something that translates well, your tastes really can change a lot even if it is something meaningful, and also tattoos deteriorate over time.

I see a lot of ugly tattoos, and often they are the ones that people try and make unobtrusive.  

ETA - oh, also I think they are on more of a becoming less trendy direction at the moment.  So there's that.

Edited by Bluegoat

I voted “other†because the question is just too hypothetical for me. In reality, I have no idea what we would do. I don’t have an issue with tattoos at all, but it would depend on what they wanted, where, and the cost. I would also want to make sure we went to a reputable artist, as there’s nothing worse than a shotty tattoo that was poorly done.

My parents are over 60 and love their tattoos so...now you know two who do. Anecdotes are not generalizable to a broader population.

Dh got one in his 20s that is *very* Christian and does not in anyway reflect him as a person right now. It’s in Greek and has a celtic knot. He still likes it. He and I got one recently together. His is on his wrist. Mine is on my forearm. Until recently his law enforcement agency did not allow visible tattoos. No problem, he wore a tat jacket which also functions as sunscreen to protect his ink. This year in addition to allowing beards, the agency now allows visible tattoos with certain exclusions so no tat jacket required.

At our house, after 18, sure. If I can afford it and can help out to be sure they go to a good place and a reputable artist, I would be glad to help.

• Like 3

On the other hand, everything is disfigured and wrinkly by the age of 70!  :)

• Like 4

I’m in the middle of this now. Apparently when Dd was about 12 or 13, I told her I’d take her for a tattoo when she was 21. Um . . . that’s in two weeks.

I would backpedal, but she hasn’t changed her mind about the particular tattoo (the VFD sign from series of unfortunate events). It’s a bit small and secretive in nature AND she’s doing really well in college and one of her majors is English. Somehow the idea of a teacher having a VFW tattoo that only some of their bookworms will notice and get seems right to me. She started those books when she was six or seven and I had to buy them in hard back as they came out.

I think I’m gonna have to take her and make a day of it. I don’t have tattoos, but they’ve been mainstream for so many years now that it’s hatd to get too worked up over the idea of them. It’s less life-altering than getting married at that age and I did that. 😂

• Like 3

I have been and saw someone’s back bleed. I wouldn’t go back. I remember it like a line of blood so nothing much in particular, but I don’t like blood and I also don’t even like needles, so I don’t think I will ever go back to a tattoo parlor.

Edit: but for pp who might go with her daughter — it would be a bonding experience and memorable.

I have a hard time even taking my kids to get shots. I just don’t like it. I would not be a good person to go.

I couldn’t watch and ended up looking at sample tattoo art in binders — that is my memory. Fortunately a lot of people were there so no big deal — but I am just not that person who would like to watch or sit next to somebody for a long time.

Edited by Lecka

My parents are over 60 and love their tattoos so...now you know two who do. Anecdotes are not generalizable to a broader population....

To be fair, she said she "rarely" sees anyone over 60 who is happy with their tattoos. Your parents would be rare in her experience. An ER nurse's 'anecdotes' are usually based on a pretty wide and varied population.
  • Like 3

DH was telling my son about his coworker who has the word "Jeff" on her wrist.  She is married to Stan.  Yup, old boyfriend......regret!

My spouse's tattoo is about me. We are still happily married. My twin actually has a tattoo about me, too, though I have no clue if he regrets his. They both really weird me out.

To be fair, she said she "rarely" sees anyone over 60 who is happy with their tattoos. Your parents would be rare in her experience. An ER nurse's 'anecdotes' are usually based on a pretty wide and varied population.

The plural of anecdote is still not data. Also, we’re not dispassionate observers. Brains tend to discard things that don’t match with our underlying opinions and expectations. Unless she has set out to correct for those things, her anecdotes do not have greater weight than the anecdotes of anyone else. They’re still just that...anecdote.

As for old people regretting tattoos as a monolith. They’re obviously less monolithic than might appear. There is an organization out there and several providers whose entire mission is to help people preserve tattoos after death. It’s not my thing, but more power to them.

• Like 1

In this scenario, yes, I would. It's something he really wants and has thought about. If he can't afford one right now, I would rather pay for it and gift it than to have him end up going to a less than reputable place to be able to afford it sooner. 

I wouldn't if it was just a "hey this would be cool for my 18th" with no thought given. 

I am not a tattoo person just because I never can commit to a permanent fixture on my body. One of my older boys wanted a tattoo more than anything all through his teen years. He said as soon as he turned 18 he wanted it. I could have gifted it but I didn't. He had a job and could have paid for it but he didn't. Now at 24 he just designed one. It is one that incorporates all of his siblings and family. It has a ton of meaning and it is really beautiful. He still hasn't done it. He toys with the idea every year but as each year goes by he thinks more and more about its permanence.

I feel that had I gifted it at 18 he would have done it. I am fine with him doing it but I like that he is now a fully brain formed adult. Now if he does it I know it was deeply thought about.

• Like 1

The plural of anecdote is still not data. Also, we’re not dispassionate observers. Brains tend to discard things that don’t match with our underlying opinions and expectations. Unless she has set out to correct for those things, her anecdotes do not have greater weight than the anecdotes of anyone else. They’re still just that...anecdote.

As for old people regretting tattoos as a monolith. They’re obviously less monolithic than might appear. There is an organization out there and several providers whose entire mission is to help people preserve tattoos after death. It’s not my thing, but more power to them.

If I see a double blind study on older people's opinions on their tattoos, I'll be sure to post a link. In the meantime, I will read and weigh believability the same way I do other things in life.
  • Like 1

I have maybe not so much of a problem with that lower-quality tattoo that people paid for themselves. I think that’s meaningful too.

My little BIL got one recently and maybe this is just because he was not ambitious about working for a while, but I really like that he paid for it himself. Good for him!

It’s not too bad or too low in quality, though. It doesn’t look like a prison tattoo.

If the amount of cash I would have given them for a gift is equal to the tattoo cost, then yes. But we don't give huge bday gifts, and I don't think there's any tattoo worth having for $50.

DD got her nose pierced on her 18th. She has since gotten 2 tattoos. None were funded by us.

I laugh when people say, "but think about what it will look like when you're 70!" That "droopy" tattoo will match the rest of your droopy body, so really nbd, (to me at least). And I can't imagine a 70yo caring what someone in a doctor's office or er thinks about their tattoo. As for mine, it's kinda "outta sight, outta mind". But I really want more-- arms and thighs. I'd rather look at a tat than cellulite. 😜

To each his own! 😀

I agree. When you have 70 year old skin it's 70 year old skin with or without a tattoo. I'm only 31, but how often I notice anything about my physical appearance anymore is amazing compared to my 20's . So in my 30's I already don't worry about my looks, so Im guessing at 70 I really won't give a damn at all.

I laugh when people say, "but think about what it will look like when you're 70!" That "droopy" tattoo will match the rest of your droopy body, so really nbd, (to me at least). And I can't imagine a 70yo caring what someone in a doctor's office or er thinks about their tattoo. As for mine, it's kinda "outta sight, outta mind". But I really want more-- arms and thighs. I'd rather look at a tat than cellulite. 😜

To each his own! 😀

I agree, it's no big deal.

I also wonder what percentage of people who are in the Emergency Room feel the need to share how they feel about their tattoos. It seems strange to have it just come up in conversation.  I have a tattoo that I forget all about unless I happen to catch sight of it in a mirror.  I'm certainly not thinking about it if I'm at an ER.

I find tattoos to be unattractive. My ex-husband has several and my current husband has three, and my name and likeness is on each of them (weird and I specifically asked BOTH of them not to do it.) It's just that I don't care for tattoos personally. I'm also not attracted to blondes or facial hair. There's no judgment, just personal preference. :) I feel like I need to say that because it seems that this personal preference is often twisted into being a judgment or moral stance of some kind. It's neither, for me. My answer would depend on the child. 

If I thought he'd get the tattoo anyway, I'd be likely to pay for it for is birthday. I'd want to be sure it was done well, safely, and - truth be told - I'd want to influence placement. I wouldn't insist on it being my way, but I know my opinion would hold much greater weight. 

If I thought saying no would buy more time for the child to consider the tattoo, I'd give another gift and suggest we revisit the tattoo idea at the next birthday. And at that point, I'd ask myself the same question: will he get it anyway? Then pay. Can I buy myself another year? Then wait. 

Either way I'd be willing to fund it, birthday or not, same as I'd fund a bleach hair job or mustache wax (things my kids like that don't share my personal preferences.) I would just use it as leverage to have the child wait as long as possible to commit to a design, and to understand the pros/cons of placement. 

None of my boys show an interest, but my daughter has been drawing tattoos on herself since she was 2 and she's always been fascinated by her dad's tattoos. I imagine this will come up as she gets older (she's 12). But I'm pretty confident that she's also the one I can best convince to wait.

I have tattoos.  DH doesn't and never, ever would.

Having said that, YES we would.  IF...it was small, easily covered if need be for a career, and meaningful.  Tattoos have been markers for me of significant times in my life and 20+ years (and many pounds and wrinkles later), they still mean a great deal to me.

We have one child who wants a tattoo that is a bad choice (I can't go into details, but I need y'all to take my word for it when I say it is a BAD choice...), and neither DH nor I would pay for that or do anything to enable that to happen.  We have another child who wants something small and meaningful for 18th birthday.  We are more open to that.  So for us, it matters what the tattoo is, where it is, and what it is really about.

Edited by rutamattatt

Not a chance, but I hate tatoos. All I can imagine is what they're going to look like when the person is 85 years old and it's all saggy and gross.

I just have to say my oldest brother has several tattoos on his arms and is in his mid 70's. Recently my kids asked me exactly what his tattoos were. I can't remember and I have tried really hard because I feel bad that I don't. I was shocked to find out you couldn't tell anymore but my kids say they are a blur and always have been to them. He had them done as a young adult. At least my kids didn't ask him.

• Like 1

I got a tattoo when I was 22 (quite a bit older than 18 and presumably more mature) and I thought it through and I consulted my priest and my parents about it and I thought it would be personally meaningful for me forever. It wasn't. [emoji849]

Now it's just a slightly larger than before version of something that used to be meaningful but now just keeps me humble when my kids ask me, "Mommy why did you let somebody draw on your bottom like that?!?" when they come into the bathroom with me (for the record, it's on my back lower hip, not my butt lol)

So that probably colors my response when I say no, I wouldn't pay for that. [emoji12]

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I agree, it's no big deal.

I also wonder what percentage of people who are in the Emergency Room feel the need to share how they feel about their tattoos. It seems strange to have it just come up in conversation. I have a tattoo that I forget all about unless I happen to catch sight of it in a mirror. I'm certainly not thinking about it if I'm at an ER.

Nurses document tattoos on the patient chart in our ED.

I've enjoyed this thread :)

Maybe. My answer is Maybe.
When I was 12 I knew I wanted a tattoo. When I was 16 I started to more strongly consider it. At 17 I was researching design, placement, and using the collect guys I worked with-where to go/not go.

The week after my 18th birthday I had a tattoo. (shoulder. It is visible with a tank top or swimsuit... but I so seldom wear those) It was 15 months later before my parents found out. For that year the only ones that knew where the men I worked with that I had talked to about getting one (and then, only because they asked to see it). My parents only found out because I told them before we went shopping for my wedding dress.

I would say I was a very level headed teen. It was something I wanted for a long time. I have not ever wavered on what I wanted. I AM glad I had one before I married, as DH does not like them. I would like another, but refrain out of respect.

If I had a teen that had wanted one long term, wasn't doing it in a rush or on impulse, assuming the message wasn't something I was opposed to... then yup I absolutely would.

If I had a flighty teen, or I thought this was in response to a fad, or the message was one I disagreed with I would talk with them. And I hope they would listen. Right now we have really good relationships with our kids, and I hope I do then. Maybe they would listen to our suggestions. Maybe not . I would likely ask what else they might want for their birthday... but if I gave them money and they used it for a tattoo... well, they ARE adults. And adults have the right to do what they want-even if I disagree. 76h

• Like 3