Menu

Elder Care Conflict (JAWM, mostly)

rainbowmama

Unless there is some reason they are on bad terms with their parents -ungrateful and irresponsible comes to mind, but that's JMHO.  Find a neighborhood teen (cheaper than professionals) who wants to make a little extra cash on a semi-regular basis and unload the snow-shoveling that is hard for you to accomplish.

My in-laws are both still living in their own home with our help. My spouse and I are there once a week for groceries, cleaning, yard care, etc... A neighbor used to shovel their sidewalk, but the neighbor has moved. Their city laws require the side walk shoveled in 24 hours, and given that we live about an hour away, they don't live quite close enough for this to feel manageable. My BILs live further away and provide no help whatsoever. I asked them this week if they'd be willing to pay for snow removal. One of them is a bachelor with no dependents. The other is a living the dual income no dependents lifestyle. Both refused to help, and I'm feeling a little unappreciated. I don't like my in-laws: they pride themselves on being very honest people and having a great sense of sarcasm that unfortunately I find difficult not to take personally. They are my spouse's parents and my kids' grandparents, though, so I try to do right by them. Why don't my BILs feel this sense of duty that they can't take on even a tiny bit of the responsibility? 

If they are in the south, they probably won't even fine you because the city employees who do that sort of thing are snowed under and trapped in their houses, as well.

I have not checked what the fine is, but if they'd only get fined once a season and it was that low, we'd be better off just letting them get fined. The lowest cost I could find was $30/storm or $275 a year.