Menu

Oak Meadow Health - ? For those who've used it

I'm preparing to use OM Health with the syllabus for the second half of this year.  In looking at it, I'm realizing that squeezing it into one semester is going to be a real challenge.  Has anyone done this?  

Would you consider splitting it into two semesters, keeping in mind that we'd have the summer in between?  I don't want to overload my kids, but I also want them to get something out of it.

I'd love to hear what others have done that worked or what didn't work.

I sure appreciate any thoughts!  Thank you so much!!

My DS 15 has been working through this for the past year (spring semester last year and just finishing up now). He does it on his own and he loves the activity and research parts, it allows him to engage with friends and family in an interesting way. Initially I was nervous about him not finishing in a year, but realistically for us, it doesn’t matter. He is only getting 1.5 credits for it, regardless how long it takes him. He has some rigorous classes, so allowing flexibility here has been helpful.

In regards to your original question about squeezing it all into one semester. Even if you were to drop the fitness part (lab). The work itself is quite extensive. I think you would have trouble fitting it into one semester, without dropping a bunch of the activities and research.

I agree with Sierra, you would have to either significantly cut the class or plan on at least 1.5 hours per day. It was an easy one credit class spread across a year, but would be heavier than I would want for 1/2 credit in one semester. There are a lot of assignments that would be fairly easy to drop - it would just make it less open-and-go for you.

I agree with Sierra, you would have to either significantly cut the class or plan on at least 1.5 hours per day. It was an easy one credit class spread across a year, but would be heavier than I would want for 1/2 credit in one semester. There are a lot of assignments that would be fairly easy to drop - it would just make it less open-and-go for you.

I am planning on using it this summer and cutting out a lot.  Dd doesn't need the P.E. portion and is also very knowledgeable about health.  I just have to figure out what to keep and drop because I don't want to overload her.  I also want to add in first aid and CPR.  

In regards to your original question about squeezing it all into one semester. Even if you were to drop the fitness part (lab). The work itself is quite extensive. I think you would have trouble fitting it into one semester, without dropping a bunch of the activities and research.

Thank you for your reply.  I kind of had a feeling that it would be too much for a semester and I don't want to cut a bunch out so we've started down the year path.  I'm a little concerned about having summer in the middle but am hoping it will help cement some of the fitness aspects more.  Did you find it difficult because you had the summer in between or do you homeschool year round?

Thank you again!

-Lisa

Thank you for your reply.  This is kind of what I figured so we've started down the path of taking a year to do it.

Thanks again!

-Lisa

• Like 1