Menu

s/o Well-trained Homes January edition--for those who want to level up their housekeeping game but aren't Flybabies

Laurie4b

This is a spinoff of Greta's thread regarding people who had successfully changed their housekeeping practices. There were a variety of different responses. WTM already has a thread for those for whom Flylady works, but there were some people in Greta's thread for whom it didn't work or who simply used other methods. I want to capture that eclectic approach in this thread.

Personally, I would like a place to set goals and report back on them. The Well-trained Bodies threads have helped me that way with my health practices, but I need to level up in my housekeeping game! 

I think for this week, my goal will be simply to spend 15 min per day decluttering the master bedroom.  (The 15 min timer was one part of Flylady that helped me, but I will be looking forward to borrowing strategies that work for others here!) 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 8

This week I've been working on finding a place for all the new things we have. Other than that my other focus has been on keeping my room clean. I work best overall when I wake up to a clean room. So being intentional with putting things away in there has really helped. Then after I get up and get dressed it usually take a few minutes.to put the room in perfect order.

• Like 4

I'm organizing the massive wall of books...  They get disorganized as the kids just shelve stuff all willy-nilly.  I'm turning up books that I haven't seen in forever, and have been able to make a special shelf of picture books that have been missing for a while, to read to my two little ones.  I'm excited to share some of these with them, as they've been getting a bit of the short end of the attention stick lately it seems.

• Like 7

I WANT to work on my dining area today.  In theory, it shouldn't be a challenge.  We don't have knicknacks or china cabinets or stuff like that in that space. However, it's also the main entry point of the house, so it gets filthy (as in, actual dirt/snow/etc.) ridiculously fast.  It's also where items are hanging out that need to leave the house, like a package for my sister, Christmas stuff to go to the shed, recycling that needs to be taken out... and it's bombogenesing or some such business outside, so I don't have much interest in putting those things where they belong.

I think I'll settle for scrubbing the table and chairs of random drips and drabs today.  Why are my youngest kids so MESSY?!?!

• Like 4

Since we got laptops (and are empty nesters), we are hardly using our little office anymore - at least not one side of it. DH uses "his" side. I need to get some clutter out of there. That's my goal today. 

Here is the thread mentioned in the OP. I seem to have problems finding threads (yes, even if I follow them), so I add links to posts often. Sue me! No, please don't really. 

Update: I worked for ~1 hour in our wee office today. I emptied the shredder (was full when I started), shredded more, threw out a ton, and filed some important things that were lying on a desk. Felt good!

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 7

I love A Slob Comes Clean. I already own the paperback but I'm considering getting the ebook for $1.99 today because I need reinforcement.

We spent a week away on vacation, and then two weeks with a sick relative, so the house is a disaster. It was somewhat chaotic when I left (bad idea) but now we've brought back Christmas presents, laundry, toys, you name it. My goal for today is to get all the dishes and laundry done, and put everything in its place.

• Like 5

I love A Slob Comes Clean. I already own the paperback but I'm considering getting the ebook for $1.99 today because I need reinforcement.

We spent a week away on vacation, and then two weeks with a sick relative, so the house is a disaster. It was somewhat chaotic when I left (bad idea) but now we've brought back Christmas presents, laundry, toys, you name it. My goal for today is to get all the dishes and laundry done, and put everything in its place.

What do you like about her system? Where does she have you start? 

I checked out her site but found it not very clear for a first time visitor. Is the ebook the collection of her blogs written in no particular order? Or is it a version of her paperback?

I don't wanna buy a new book. 

• Like 1

Hmmm....

I think I'm in.  I will try.  

My goals for this week:

• Dishes taken care of every single night before bed
  • Clean laundry put up every night before bed and a new load started as needed so it doesn't pile up
  • Putting up the remaining Christmas decorations before the end of today

I don't want to add to that until I can get those things accomplished.  Holidays really threw me off and the house is a mess but I need small steps right now so as not to get overwhelmed.  Thankfully the kids are always good about taking out trash/recycle and cleaning their bathrooms thoroughly when asked.

Good luck to everyone else.

• Like 3

I'm reading the posts from a Slob Comes Clean (very grateful to whoever recommended that on the other thread).  I went back to her very first post and have read about 4 months worth.  Typically I read about 5-10 posts but then I "lose focus" so I get up and go clean something small (like the top of a cabinet) by the time that is done I'm over cleaning and feel like sitting down so I read some more posts and repeat.  It's been working well for now.

I actually have a really good routine down of loading the dishwasher and washing laundry.  My kids unload the dishwasher as soon as I ask them.  Folding laundry is the bane of our existence though.  Will definitely need to work on solutions here.

I actually don't have a ton of clutter (I spent 4 years working through my house with Kon Mari's motto of "Does this thing make you happy?" running through my head) because I've made a good pass through the house.  Now it's time to refine what is kept, finding homes for what it important and develop a better routine for maintenance.  So I've still got a long ways to go but I have made so much progress these last 4 years and the kids are much happier because they can have friends over more regularly (as long as they help with the pick-ups,  I definitely don't have a handle on that yet).

My goal is to finish cleaning out the kitchen (ok really it's just the refrigerator that is really in need) but since I seem to be coming down with something (and DS who is always the last one to get sick if he gets sick at all, has spent the last 3 days in bed barely moving, and I'm worried that he has shared it with me since at least 1 other kids is already showing signs of the same thing so it's entirely likely I'm next), I'm not sure how many days I will need to muster the energy to get that completely done.  I'm think I'm going to try for 1 shelf a day if my energy holds out.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 6

Putting away the holiday knick knacks today. Organizing the holiday storage space.

Then it’s back to routine here. I use the Home Routines app, and have things set up so my “zones†switch every day, rather than once a month. I have daily routines, and then certain things I do each day of the week. With an extra 15 minutes or so doing another “something†- yesterday it was changing the air filters, today it’s spending some time in the holiday storage space.

This week I’m working on reclaiming the kitchen and finding our routine again: getting the dishes done every night. I load the DW, and use the delay function so it runs in the night, kids unload in the am.

Also working on getting back into the laundry routine. I get a load ready at night, soap in and all, and push the power button when I get up. Switch a little later, and fold and put away right after school.

DH is building built in benches in our breakfast nook this week, so we are in a bit of a mess, but it feels like a controlled mess.

I’m not a fly baby type, it was too rah rah, go girls for me, but I do love the 15 minute increments. I tried Motivated Moms, and it was ok, but I hated the sense that it was a mom’s job, that it was all female. Not the app’s contents, but just the name - it bugged me every time I opened it because DH here views our house as a shared responsibility, and does a lot. Then I found Home Routines and it’s not gender specific. I can ask DH or DS to do stuff and it just feels normal. DS likes getting gold stars. :) That was my minor issue with MM. I’ve used HR for two years now.

• Like 3

My house is a wreck because most of my time and energy is going into scraping wallpaper glue and recovering, and feeding people in the meantime.  Projects mean that the only things that get done are survival tasks--food, dirty laundry, dishes, showers--until the project is over.  Thankfully I'll only have had to cook two nights this week.  The kids do their own laundry for the most part, and I've been delegating dishes.  I'm about to vacuum up my mess in the kitchen (the project room), and will hit the dirtiest parts of the house while I'm at it (mostly it's dog hair in the living room).  That's it until the kitchen and bathroom are painted, whenever that happens to be.  I was hoping by the end of tomorrow, but I wasn't anticipating the ordeal that wallpaper removal is.  :D 

• Like 2

I'm using Declutter 365 (on fb, but also emails) to get a daily schedule for decluttering. She recommends 15 minutes a day, also, and has monthly calendars. I'm trying to go faster and hope to finish a year's worth by the end of March. I'm finding I don't have so much to get rid of (yet - I'm still in the kitchen), but I've been giving way too valuable of real estate to things I rarely use, so there's some shifting about. Oh! And plenty of expired foods! Those are fun to toss.

• Like 4

Thank you for starting this thread, Laurie!

My new year's resolution was to start with the first thing recommended in A Slob Comes Clean:  making sure all the dishes are clean (or are in the dishwasher and it's running) before bed each night.  That's really the only thing I've done so far, but I do want to start on some serious decluttering next.  But when I say serious, I don't mean I'm going to dive into it like it's a major project - I've done that before and it didn't produce any lasting results.  I'm going to designate a time, such as right after lunch, to do 10-15 minutes of decluttering every day.  I won't accomplish much in that amount of time, but it's about building good habits, right?

• Like 3

This week I have thrown away a ton of kitchen stuff that we ended up not using (Big Family Christmas only had 14 attendees this year, and I made enough for 22), gave away my favorite batch of cookies, and decluttered for about 5 15 minutes sessions.

I also got my old library card reinstated.  This is good because it means I can stop buying so many books, and also that if I get rid of some, which I have been doing steadily for about a year, their spots won't instantly be consumed by others.

Ironically, my very last Amazon order was a pre-release order of "Swedish Death Cleaning" which amazingly well mirrors the state of mind that I'm in.  It's charming.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

My goal this week (month?) is to make sure the kitchen sink is empty before bed. Also this week I am trying to get caught up on the laundry. This seems to be a recurring thread here in this discussion and it is making me not feel as bad right now! I did declutter one bathroom today. It's not much but, I definitely like walking by that bathroom and looking at it now.

• Like 2

I’m in!

Daily: laundry (put away each night), kitchen clean before bed, one bathroom cleaned, 15 minutes of declutter

This week: sort outgrown clothes, Goodwill/consignment drop off, master bathroom, master bedroom clean up, start on kids closet

• Like 2

So I've made my self two "rules" I"m trying to do.

1. anytime I'm in the bathroom clear off anything on the counter that shouldn't be there.  (two times today I had to put a rag away as the DD who folds them can't reach their "away" spot and she is instructed to set them on the counter for me to put away)

2.  When something is heating up in the microwave, I must stay in the kitchen and work on something. I don't cook in my microwave so these are all less then 5 minute intervals but it's amazing how many little things are getting done in the time I would wander over to the computer to check my email and wander back.

As far as what I did today, I went to clean out my first shelf in the fridge,  Just as I was finishing, I realized that starting at the bottom shelf was probably not a great idea since things would most likely fall when I did the upper shelves, so then I felt compelled to clean the top shelf as well.  During one of my something's in the microwave sessions, I decided I would quick wash out one of the door shelves.  When I returned it to it's spot (mine are removable), I realized I had yet again started with the bottom one.  Hopefully there won't be too much falling from the upper ones since the stuff is all contained inside them.  As I cleaned up from supper (which was simply leftovers because I'm definitely coming down with the crud), I cleaned the second from the top shelf since we had finally eaten enough leftovers to make it doable to juggle things around.  Bonus was when DH opened the fridge later and immediately said "I can see the back of the fridge.  I don't remember the last time that happened".  Still have 3 more shelves to go and 4 door shelves (not to mention the freezer on the other side) but it's progress.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 5

I’m a little bit in survival clutter mode right now because we are (yet again) doing major remodeling, so there’s only so good I can get certain areas right now. But I came up with a plan that I hope will help me maintain the things I can maintain. A list by day or date doesn’t work for me because life is too unpredictable.

I figured out how often I aspire to do each non-daily task, if all is ideal. Some things really ought to be done twice a week, some once a week, others every two weeks, and some monthly. Then I made a list. I put the twice a week jobs on the list eight times, the weekly jobs four, the biweekly two, and the monthly one, so that it’s all split evenly, with the least frequent jobs spread throughout. So ideally, in the first week I would do a few of the monthly tasks, and in the second week I’d do a few more, and so on. I printed it and taped it to the inside of my planner (just a composition book — my phone is usually my brain, but I wanted a place to jot down to do lists and menu plans that wasn’t my phone). I’ll just go down the list, working through whatever I have time for that day. That way, I’ll still get to frequently needed things like wiping the bathroom while still leaving room for less frequent things like clearing certain areas that tend to pick up clutter.

• Like 2

I need to figure out a system. Actually, I guess I need a way to MAINTAIN a system. I am great at starting, but ongoing follow through is harder.

At the moment, my place is filled with dozens of boxes, at least half of which are just miscellaneous stuff to be sorted. Most of it was packed up to be moved to the house we've been preparing to move into for the last 2 years. However, DH and I recently decided to split up instead, and I am staying put, and he is now living in the not-finished place, which also has dozens of additional boxes to sort through. Ugh.

So, that is a huge emotionally loaded project, but I also have to figure out a new system for the day to day stuff, which will be different with one less adult in the house.

I like the idea of an app, but I will probably need to start with a basic 7 day maintenance calendar on a spreadsheet, printed out and posted on a door. Then I need to actually use it!

• Like 1

I need to figure out a system. Actually, I guess I need a way to MAINTAIN a system. I am great at starting, but ongoing follow through is harder.

At the moment, my place is filled with dozens of boxes, at least half of which are just miscellaneous stuff to be sorted. Most of it was packed up to be moved to the house we've been preparing to move into for the last 2 years. However, DH and I recently decided to split up instead, and I am staying put, and he is now living in the not-finished place, which also has dozens of additional boxes to sort through. Ugh.

So, that is a huge emotionally loaded project, but I also have to figure out a new system for the day to day stuff, which will be different with one less adult in the house.

I like the idea of an app, but I will probably need to start with a basic 7 day maintenance calendar on a spreadsheet, printed out and posted on a door. Then I need to actually use it!

:grouphug:   

• Like 1

Two things dc and I have already been trying to do for about a year (I work over 40 hours each week, and we do school at work):

We try to always do 15-30 minutes of housework immediately upon walking in the door each evening. We set a timer.

We clean out the car while filling the gas tank.

Hmm. That sounds like a great idea. I usually do balance exercises but since I fill the car only once in a while it's probably not that helpful!  :huh:  But I could ditch any trash in that time.  Thanks for the suggestion! Or if the car was not in need, there's always my purse.. 

• Like 2

So I've made my self two "rules" I"m trying to do.

1. anytime I'm in the bathroom clear off anything on the counter that shouldn't be there.  (two times today I had to put a rag away as the DD who folds them can't reach their "away" spot and she is instructed to set them on the counter for me to put away)   

2.  When something is heating up in the microwave, I must stay in the kitchen and work on something. I don't cook in my microwave so these are all less then 5 minute intervals but it's amazing how many little things are getting done in the time I would wander over to the computer to check my email and wander back.Great idea! I am a wanderer to the computer as well---including when something is on the stove.  :scared: with exactly the results you'd expect. This is a much better idea!  I really like the idea of linking some cleaning to something you are already doing that would otherwise be a waste of time. 

As far as what I did today, I went to clean out my first shelf in the fridge,  Just as I was finishing, I realized that starting at the bottom shelf was probably not a great idea  That made me laugh. Definitely something I would do! since things would most likely fall when I did the upper shelves, so then I felt compelled to clean the top shelf as well.  During one of my something's in the microwave sessions, I decided I would quick wash out one of the door shelves.  When I returned it to it's spot (mine are removable), I realized I had yet again started with the bottom one.  Hopefully there won't be too much falling from the upper ones since the stuff is all contained inside them.  As I cleaned up from supper (which was simply leftovers because I'm definitely coming down with the crud), I cleaned the second from the top shelf since we had finally eaten enough leftovers to make it doable to juggle things around.  Bonus was when DH opened the fridge later and immediately said "I can see the back of the fridge.  I don't remember the last time that happened".  Still have 3 more shelves to go and 4 door shelves (not to mention the freezer on the other side) but it's progress.

For those of you with piled up laundry, this might help: once my kids turned 11 or so, they did their own laundry. DH already did his.

When I first instituted the "do your own" firstborn said, "No one else's mom makes them do laundry. I'm not going to do it."

My response was simply, "That's okay but neither am I." 

As a very fashion conscious guy, he got with the program rather quickly.  :rofl:

However, I still have the issue of putting my own away. I need to make it a rule that I never bring it to the bedroom not already rolled (I roll instead of fold---pretty much everything I put in my dresser is athletic wear) or on hangers. Otherwise, I have a tendency to dump it on the foot of the bed and it stays there rather too long! 

I washed all but one pan last night before bed. It worked for me to get all the stuff in the dishwasher and then fill the rest of the pots with soapy water and let them sit while I was on the computer a bit. Then they were easy to wash . I let the one sit because it had chicken juice and fat which I knew would congeal and be easier to dispose of this morning. 

Today, I want to do at least stints instead of one of 15 min in the master bedroom/storage room since I have the day off from work due to snow. 

• Like 4

I need to find a system that works for laundry -- I keep buying more and larger laundry baskets because I hate clothes on the floor... it can be clean or dirty in a basket, I don't care. 

But now I have like 6 very large bins of clean clothes and I refuse to do more until it's put away.  Also hate folding because my toddler has to help and it feel like I'm racing a clock where the buzzer is everything I've done being undone. 

I should that that Diane in Denmark suggestion - set a stopwatch timer and just do it and see how long it takes -- I bet it won't taken anywhere as long as I've made it out to in my head. 

• Like 4

This week is about two things:

Getting my sleep back in order.

Putting away the Christmas stuff.

If I don't have enough sleep, I move on pace with a sloth.  I can't summon the energy to do the basic maintaining of the house.  If I get enough sleep, then I bustle around doing all the daily tasks that need to be done.  So, I expect that I won't be up to speed until next Tuesday.  If I can just manage to summon the energy to clear out the Christmas stuff over the next 2 days, then I'll be good to start actual cleaning on Tuesday.  

Next Tuesday, I'll start with the dishwasher each evening trick from A Slob Comes Clean.  I won't tell DH.  He will think it's wasting water, but if I'm quiet about it, he might not notice for a while.  I'm tired of the dishes randomly being piled up all over the kitchen because the dishwasher is randomly running in the middle of the day.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 6

I am doing well with getting the dishes taken care of before bed but I am really struggling to get clean clothes put away each night.  I have to take things upstairs.  My knee hurts.  I'm tired.  By the time I drag it all upstairs I don't want to put it away.  My brain/body rebell.  I need to find motivation to finish this task.  I have three baskets that need unloading (towels, sheets, clothes).

• Like 2

Today, I'm going to do two or more 15 min bouts in the master bedroom and since we're having company tomorrow, I need to clean up the public areas. My goal will not to stick things I find there back in the master bedroom!  

Smart! I still haven't dealt w/ all my "dash and stash" stuff that's in our MB.  :leaving:

• Like 2

I've been reading A Slob Comes Clean website since it was mentioned in the first thread. It fits me so well! I never realized that I don't actually see the clutter until someone knocks on the door. But that's exactly what happens to me!

Yesterday I spent an hour cleaning the dirtiest space in our house... THE FRIDGE!!!! It was so gross, you guys! I can't believe I'm even admitting this but I feel like I should own up to it if I want to improve on housework. And I really do. I want our kids to grow up with better housekeeping habits than I did. They volunteered to help and said it was fun. Go figure. :)

Today the focus is having the kitchen be functional for meal prep and easy cleanup this week. So that means decluttering a few cabinets that are way too full, moving some things from the tiny kitchen freezer to the basement deep freezer, and cleaning off the top of the fridge so I have a place to store the Instant Pot. Not ideal and not permanent but at least that huge thing will be off my prep counter!

• Like 4

I am doing well with getting the dishes taken care of before bed but I am really struggling to get clean clothes put away each night.  I have to take things upstairs.  My knee hurts.  I'm tired.  By the time I drag it all upstairs I don't want to put it away.  My brain/body rebell.  I need to find motivation to finish this task.  I have three baskets that need unloading (towels, sheets, clothes).

O.k. this morning I emptied two of the baskets.  I realized one reason I consistently drag my feet with putting away the sheets basket is that the sheets I don't need right away go on a top shelf it is hard for me to reach and standing on a chair means going to get a chair plus it is dangerous because of my damaged knee.  I have decided to rearrange placement of the sheets not being used.  I'm going to clear out a lower shelf and relocate those items.

Towels and clothes already got unloaded so at least that's done.

I got the dishes done last night as I had committed to.  Yeah!  Two nights in a row.  So nice waking up to dishes already taken care of each morning.

• Like 2

If anyone is also trying to lose weight while decluttering, there is a connection: https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/how-to-get-organized-lose-weight-faster/slide/1

This is consistent with other things I've read. The basic deal is that people make more logical decisions in cleaned up clutter free spaces. You need those kinds of logical decisions to lose weight. Additionally, reorganizing so the healthy food is the first thing you see when you open your pantry or fridge increases the likelihood that you'll eat that, especially if youve let yourself get hungry. The one thing not to do is to leave cereal out on the counter---it's healthy (hopefully) but it is conducive to walking by and sticking your hand in and grabbing some. Your brain doesn't alert you because it's "healthy" but you can add a lot of calories without realizing it. Instead, keep a bowl of fresh fruit out and all other food out of sight. 

OTOH, if you need to be creative, being in a cluttered space is known to jump start creativity, probably because you're getting a visual clue that everything is "up in the air" and can be rearranged any way you'd like. :) 

• Like 3

If anyone is also trying to lose weight while decluttering, there is a connection: https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/how-to-get-organized-lose-weight-faster/slide/1

This is consistent with other things I've read. The basic deal is that people make more logical decisions in cleaned up clutter free spaces. You need those kinds of logical decisions to lose weight. Additionally, reorganizing so the healthy food is the first thing you see when you open your pantry or fridge increases the likelihood that you'll eat that, especially if youve let yourself get hungry. The one thing not to do is to leave cereal out on the counter---it's healthy (hopefully) but it is conducive to walking by and sticking your hand in and grabbing some. Your brain doesn't alert you because it's "healthy" but you can add a lot of calories without realizing it. Instead, keep a bowl of fresh fruit out and all other food out of sight. 

OTOH, if you need to be creative, being in a cluttered space is known to jump start creativity, probably because you're getting a visual clue that everything is "up in the air" and can be rearranged any way you'd like. :)

I saw this years ago during a brief stint of watching Clean House (is that the one w/ Niecy Nash?). This man had all these beanie babies and gave them up for the show and the rest of the family decluttered. On a follow-up show they revisited this family and the DH and DW had lost weight. Amazing the correlation. I guess that's why FlyLady talks about Body Clutter. (Might be a book by her too?)

Thanks for the link and post!

I keep working little by little and listening to ASCC podcasts. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 3

I need to form better housekeeping habits, as well. Right now I'm sick and low on energy, and DH is as well, so things have been getting worse this week instead of better, but I'm going to try to take some small steps.

Today's goals -- Wash the dishes that have piled up, wipe the counters, sweep the floor in the kitchen. Also clean out the cat box, which is woefully overdue.

I have holiday decor halfway undecorated, with boxes and the other half still strewn about the house. That will be my bigger project for this next week. Once that is done, I'm going to try to make and follow a regular list of chores.

We need to put our home on the market sometimes this year (depending on when we find one to buy), so I've got to get a handle on it. I have a lot of anxiety about moving and keeping the house perfect, thanks to unpleasant past experiences, and I tend to get paralyzed and have trouble starting tasks. I could use accountability, so I'm thankful for this thread!

• Like 4

O.k. this morning I emptied two of the baskets.  I realized one reason I consistently drag my feet with putting away the sheets basket is that the sheets I don't need right away go on a top shelf it is hard for me to reach and standing on a chair means going to get a chair plus it is dangerous because of my damaged knee.  I have decided to rearrange placement of the sheets not being used.  I'm going to clear out a lower shelf and relocate those items.

Reorganizing is a great idea, but also it sounds like you need a step ladder like mine.

It has a metal frame and three steps, and folds into a very narrow package but is sturdy.  Plus the carrying handle extends above the top step, so you don't have to balance up there with nothing to hold onto.  

I use mine a lot and it has made my slightly higher shelves much more workable for me.

This one is similar:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-3-Step-225-lb-Aluminum-Foldable-Step-Stool/50161565

• Like 2

If anyone is also trying to lose weight while decluttering, there is a connection: https://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/how-to-get-organized-lose-weight-faster/slide/1

One of this rings true for me. My home organization skills have improved with age, but so has my ability to hold onto extra weight. 😂 I also do creative work when I choreograph pieces for multiple dance classes. My dance room is the cleanest, emptiest, most clutter-free space in my house. I’d hurt myself otherwise!

• Like 2

Reorganizing is a great idea, but also it sounds like you need a step ladder like mine.

It has a metal frame and three steps, and folds into a very narrow package but is sturdy.  Plus the carrying handle extends above the top step, so you don't have to balance up there with nothing to hold onto.  

I use mine a lot and it has made my slightly higher shelves much more workable for me.

This one is similar:  https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-3-Step-225-lb-Aluminum-Foldable-Step-Stool/50161565

Thanks for the link!  That looks great.  And yes I really do need a safer stool.  We have one but it isn't tall enough and it doesn't have those nice handrails.

O.k. this morning I emptied two of the baskets. I realized one reason I consistently drag my feet with putting away the sheets basket is that the sheets I don't need right away go on a top shelf it is hard for me to reach and standing on a chair means going to get a chair plus it is dangerous because of my damaged knee. I have decided to rearrange placement of the sheets not being used. I'm going to clear out a lower shelf and relocate those items.

Towels and clothes already got unloaded so at least that's done.

I got the dishes done last night as I had committed to. Yeah! Two nights in a row. So nice waking up to dishes already taken care of each morning.

When I wash sheets, I put them right back in the bed before bedtime. I save time by not folding, and I get the sheets put away every time.

I also save storage space since I don't need multiple sets of sheets with this method. Each bed has one set of sheets.

• Like 5

When I wash sheets, I put them right back in the bed before bedtime. I save time by not folding, and I get the sheets put away every time.

I also save storage space since I don't need multiple sets of sheets with this method. Each bed has one set of sheets.

Makes sense and I used to do that but we are on different sleep schedules now.  I found it easier for each of us to have two sets of sheets and rotate them.  Plus, if anyone gets sick it helps to have a spare set ready to go.  On the other hand, DD has extremely limited closet space but DS could probably store his in his closet instead of in the communal linen closet (that has, over time, been retasked for storage of all kinds of things :)  ).

• Like 1

I do this too. The fitted sheets are near impossible to fold anyway.

• Like 3

I have tried to do FlyLady many times, but it just doesn't work for me long term.  I'm going to try habit stacking to put in place routines that work for me.  Just before Thanksgiving dh finally finished our new kitchen, so when I moved in the fridge, pantry food, etc. I did a huge declutter & clean.  I also washed all the dished before they were put in the new cabinets.  I am determined to keep order in the kitchen.  I have told dh that nothing gets stored on our island bench top, so it is always ready to use as needed.  Also, the dining table has only a centre piece (candle, vase of flowers, etc.) when we are not using it.  One thing that really annoyed me in the old kitchen was dh started keeping his work folder on the dining table, then misc. stuff got added to it until we could no longer use the table.  It is really nice to be able to sit down at a table again to eat.  

3 Goals for this week =

#1---Pack away all Xmas gear ---Done

#2---Inventory freezers & draft a menu to use up what we already have.

#3---Pack away out-of-season clothes

Habit #1 = Do all dishes every evening & put away first thing in the morning.

Habit #2 = Make the bed as soon as I get up.

• Like 3