Menu

Electric toothbrushes?

Laura Corin

I've always used a manual toothbrush and have never had a dentist tell me that I was doing a bad job.  I have no signs of gum disease.  All my middle-aged colleagues swear by electric however, and I'm a bit spooked by my mother's tooth loss (there are specific causes of this in addition to her age, but I'd like to give myself the best possible chance).

So do you find that an electric toothbrush is just a convenience, or has it made a big difference to how clean your teeth are/feel?

It made a huge difference for me about 18 years ago when I was having a lot of trouble with tartar buildup. But about 8 years ago, I couldn’t use one anymore because of a sensitive spot on my teeth. I switched to flossing twice a day and brushing four times a day to keep the tartar under control. But if the dentist hadn’t seen problems, I wouldn’t have bothered with the electric toothbrush (or all the toothbrushing I have to do now). I think electric toothbrushes are a good option, but not absolutely necessary for good oral health.

• Like 2

Electric brushes make a big difference for us. It's not that I don't brush well, it's that I tend to brush too hard no matter how much I try not to. An electric brush solves that problem.

My husband has this issue as well--brushing too hard which encourages gum recession.

• Like 2

I have been using a spinbrush for the past few years.  Just a cheapie.  I have a big problem with tarter buildup.  I go for a cleaning every 4 months.  I went yesterday and talked to the hygienist about upgrading to a more expensive model.  She said it could benefit me, but not absolutely necessary because I'm doing a good job with what I've been doing.  What brands and models are you all using?

• Like 1

I have been using a spinbrush for the past few years.  Just a cheapie.  I have a big problem with tarter buildup.  I go for a cleaning every 4 months.  I went yesterday and talked to the hygienist about upgrading to a more expensive model.  She said it could benefit me, but not absolutely necessary because I'm doing a good job with what I've been doing.  What brands and models are you all using?

We all use rechargeable Sonicares. Usually the least expensive ones we can find. All we want/need is the two minute timer. My hygienist said they all work very well and that all you get by spending more money are more bells and whistles, not better cleaning. She did warn against getting the ones that are marketed for kids, but I didn't ask her why.

• Like 1

DH moved to an electric toothbrush on the recommendation of his dentist 4 years ago and he found it quite helpful.  

I switched 3 years ago because our dental coverage was lacking and I wasn't going to get to the dentist every 6 months like usual (more like every 18 months).  It made a big difference.  When I went to the dentist after almost 2 years, the cleaning was one of the easiest I'd ever had.  They asked if I was using an electric toothbrush given how decent my teeth were after that time.

Shortly after that we got electric toothbrushes for the kids as well.  

I like the timer feature, especially for the kids - it makes them brush for two minutes as it runs for that long.

We are using the Philips Sonicare ones we got at Costco.

• Like 1

I like mine because I brush too hard with a regular brush.  For some reason I also don't reach certain spots as consistently and wasn't even aware of it until I switched.  I knew I had some teeth issues but I attributed that to genetics and an injury.  Turns out while genetics and an injury were factors, part of the problem was also just the way I was holding a regular toothbrush.  I do better with my Sonicare (Mom bought me one for Christmas last year).  I honestly prefer the electric toothbrush.

• Like 1

We all got the OralB Bluetooth ones for Christmas this year. They are very expensive retail, but our dentist sells them at his cost and there was a $30 rebate (which I need to find and send in) which made the less than half the retail cost. There is a smart phone app that keeps track of brushing and has different modes that can be set for different brushing routines. I have mine set up for braces. Awards can be earned for meeting set goals, and history can be exported and printed out. There is even a way for the dentist to be envolved electronically by setting up routines, but I haven't figured that part out yet.

My dentist strongly recommended them for my techie AU kid with very poor brushing habits. We have spent so much on my DD's teeth in the past 2 years that I am willing to try anything to help her improve.

• Like 1

Several years ago I had a friend who was a hygienist say that if someone used an electric toothbrush, she often couldn't tell if they flossed daily or not.

I don't think an electric toothbrush is really a replacement for flossing, but I think it does help significantly.

Don't know if you are still looking at this thread but I thought I would chime in. I have had issues with my teeth from day one. Seriously, it must be the english in me but my teeth LOVE cavities no matter what I do! Anyway, I have used an electric toothbrush for years. It was okay but the cleanings were not anything like DH who doesn't have English in him.  Well I added a water pic to my routine about a year ago and now my teeth are the cleanest they have ever been when I go in for cleanings. The dentist barely looks at my teeth except for check of my fillings (which degrade no matter what you do) now. 

So if you want a very good cleaning routine, add the electric toothbrush and a water pic. It will create the cleanest teeth you can get. 

• Like 1

Well, I do have gum disease so both my dentist and hygienist recommended one. They both said that SonicCare is the best. Normally they'd recommend the model you can most afford but in my case they recommended the one that offers a sensitive setting as well as a gum care setting. I don't know if the name is the same in the UK (often the same model of something will have a different name) but I have the Flex Care Plus.

After 3 months of using it (along with a water pik) I've shown significant improvement.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question - for those families that all share one bathroom - does everyone have their own handheld unit or are there interchangeable bits that make that possible? I know I'd want at least 2 people to be able to brush at one time, but I really don't want 5 units sitting on my sink either. 

I've wanted an electric toothbrush for years but dh thinks it's just a toy. 

• Like 1

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question - for those families that all share one bathroom - does everyone have their own handheld unit or are there interchangeable bits that make that possible? I know I'd want at least 2 people to be able to brush at one time, but I really don't want 5 units sitting on my sink either.

All of the ones that I've seen have changeable brush heads, so it would be easy to own 2 base/handle units and 5 brush heads for the whole family. You may want to look for something that includes storage for and differentiation (like a small colored rubber band) between different brush heads.

That means that replacement brush heads do have to be purchased regularly.

• Like 1

Ds uses a different bathroom and a different type of electric toothbrush. Dh and I share (obviously) the master bathroom. The toothbrush stand has holders for two brushes. We just each take ours off when done and leave them on the storage stand.

• Like 1