Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

What's with the ads?

luuknam

Broccoli asked if there are things like Math Bees

So, I told him, not exactly, but there are math competitions, and he was like "yeah!". So, I googled Math Kangaroo... and their registration deadline was Dec 31st.  :banghead:

Since I know a bunch of you are into these kinds of things, someone please correct me if I'm misinterpreting that (the contest is not until March 15), or with ideas for alternatives. I had no idea that he was interested in stuff like that... I'd asked the kids like a year ago, and neither was interested in stuff like that then. For those who can't read my sig - he turned 7 in November and is officially in 2nd grade by NY cut-offs. 

Edited by luuknam

There is supposed to be a world maths challenge coming up this Spring (the world Education Games are being pared back). You can sign up on their website for updates (they still haven’t gotten back to me to tell me if DD is still eligible or not).

• Like 1

CML has already started. But, you could run a mock CML at home for him this year - CML has old test series question papers available on their website for purchase. If he is interested, then, you can sign him up for next year - though, it is a written test along the lines of Math Kangaroo and not a Math Bee [emoji4]

https://www.cmleague.com/product-category/books/

Most Math Contests for his age group are listed here:

http://artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_United_States_elementary_school_mathematics_competitions

We have done Triathlon, Math Kangaroo and Math Counts at that age, and all of them were fun for my child, though Trimathlon seems to be unavailable this year.

ETA: depending on your location, you can see if you can take him to attend the Julia Robinson Math festival

http://jrmf.org/find-a-festival/

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 1

CML doesn’t start until Jan for grades 2 and 3, so you might be able to register him and do it this year. They’re very easy to work with.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with Math Bees, but if he wants to develop math problem solving skills now, you might look at the Math Olympiad books.  (I recommend volumes 2 or 3, and they are also sold by Amazon.)  Then he'll be well prepared for math competitions next year.  

• Like 1