Menu

Coast Guard Academy -- What should I know?

mommymonster

DS12 is very interested in the Coast Guard Academy. We don't have family or friends in the Coast Guard. Are there any Hive families that have experience with it?

DS12 wants to start preparing now. He has wanted to be in the military since he was four (it might have been three). He really likes order and structure, and he loves military history. He obviously needs to work on core "school" topics, but for admissions purposes, where should he be focusing? We're not proposing he do anything that he doesn't want to do (or doesn't like doing), but he wants to know what he should be doing. DH and I don't really have military experience to draw from, so I'm hoping the Hive can help...

For the record, I completely and utterly agree that he's only 12, and he might (or probably will) change his mind. I'm ok with whatever he does, and am acting as a facilitator.

• Like 1

http://www.cga.edu/admissions.aspx?id=59

We looked into this years ago so I hesitate to offer info here since it's likely outdated. The above link should provide you with a starting point.

ETA: I think it's great he has a goal and you are supportive and help him gather more info. If he ends up going or not doesn't really matter at this point.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

While not Coast Guard, would he be interested in Civil Air Patrol? It is the youth program of the Air Force. It provides awesome opportunities and the skills/training, etc learned there would carry over well to any military branch....as well as likely help with admissions, scholarships, etc.

• Like 1

Squee! I love the Hive. Thank you!

While I don't have a lot of info on the Coast Guard Academy specifically, I do have a DS that will be applying to the Naval Academy and Air Force Academy next year. Google Service Academy Forums - there is a huge wealth of information there that will be helpful.

Didn't even know such a thing existed. This will be so helpful! 

While not Coast Guard, would he be interested in Civil Air Patrol? It is the youth program of the Air Force. It provides awesome opportunities and the skills/training, etc learned there would carry over well to any military branch....as well as likely help with admissions, scholarships, etc.

I've never heard of the Civil Air Patrol, but there's a squadron within an hour of us, so I'll show it to DS and see what he thinks. Thank you!

Edited by mommymonster

<snip>

One of the really cool things about CGA is the time spent on their sailing ship: http://www.cga.edu/eagle/

Those are REALLY cool.    The Colombian Navy has one. It is called " ARC Gloria".  

Last year, I remember I had on my Facebook,  I think that was in June, a Video, when she went into London, when they raised the bridges for her, her crew singing the Colombian National Anthem, some of them while up high on the Masts.  It really is quite a thing. 

Those are REALLY cool. The Colombian Navy has one. It is called " ARC Gloria".

Last year, I remember I had on my Facebook, I think that was in June, a Video, when she went into London, when they raised the bridges for her, her crew singing the Colombian National Anthem, some of them while up high on the Masts. It really is quite a thing.

I got to tour the ARC Gloria back in May. She was docked in San Diego for a few days and they were giving free tours. It’s hard to imagine going around the world on that boat, but that’s exactly what they were doing.
  • Like 1

Our local Coast Guard base hosts events for both GSA Mariners and BSA Sea Scouts. The Mariners have been invited for a tour of the Dauntless and providing snacks and cards is one of our service projects. Last year a Mariner attended the CGA summer program and gave a talk on it at dinner. It sounded intense! She's now graduated and attending the CGA. The Coast Guard also does an annual marine safety day for Sea Scouts in Galveston. Since you've got a boy, check out Sea Scouts once he's 14 or finished 8th grade (and at least 13).

https://seascout.org/

• Like 1