Menu

Desiccated thyroid shortage?

dirty ethel rackham

I am on Nature a thyroid and this is the 3rd month in a row where I have had to call around town to d find a pharmacy who had any of my meds. They all say that they are back ordered and can't get any updates as to when it will be in. There is probably only about 1 month supply for 2 people left in my town of 100 000+ people. The latest update I read was that they were supposed to start shipping in November 2017. I don't know what I'm going to do next month if this shortage isn't alleviated. And I still.have a thyroid gland, but i just dont convert well. I can't imagine how hard it is for people who don't have a thyroid gland.

I don't do well on synthetic thyroid hormone.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I never had any issue getting my Naturethroid scrip filled but I just searched and evidently there was a shortage but orders are going out again, so glad I didn't run into this.

https://getrealthyroid.com/product-availability.html

Unfortunately, Chicago area has not recovered from the shortage. Even calling around to about 10 pharmacies, I could only get it partially filled. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in 3 weeks when I run out again.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, Chicago area has not recovered from the shortage. Even calling around to about 10 pharmacies, I could only get it partially filled. I'm not sure what I'm going to do in 3 weeks when I run out again.

I'm so sorry. I just checked and I've got about a 2.5 month supply left at home, lucky for me I guess. I wonder if there are any mail rooms you could use?

I hadn't considered Armour because I know the price got jacked up a few years back and I heard others say it wasn't as effective with the new formulation, I hope I don't run into any issues my NP is switching practices and I'm waiting to see her.

I'm so sorry. I just checked and I've got about a 2.5 month supply left at home, lucky for me I guess. I wonder if there are any mail rooms you could use?

I hadn't considered Armour because I know the price got jacked up a few years back and I heard others say it wasn't as effective with the new formulation, I hope I don't run into any issues my NP is switching practices and I'm waiting to see her.

I wonder if this is why my NP increased my dosage when he had to switch me to Armour thyroid.

OP, the other option is to have the Natur-throid compounded at a compound pharmacy.  I was able to do that at one point.  But it was more expensive for me than Armour.  (If they would do it, ask the price first.  Compound pharmacies don't have set prices that are the same from one pharmacy to the next - ie. they are individual pharmacies and set their own prices based on materials and labor.) 

My doctor wrote me a script for smaller tablets, I just have to take three. I called multiple stores and they all say, oh we’re totally out! Why didn’t they say they had different dosages!!!! I have had to take multiple pills and even cut them in half in the past. I was so worried, but three tabs is fine.

this has been a rolling shortage.  some areas were hit earlier than others and will get it back earlier than others.

I finally got hit with the shortage for WPthyroid in nov.

I got switched to armour (no shortage), which in my experienced is stronger.  I had to do more to support my adrenals. (I can't have holy basil leaf - which is in a lot of adrenal support blends).  I am taking ashwagandha and relora 2x perday, and it seems to be working.  I take more if needed.  or jujube (swanson) or ltheanine if needed.

armour costs more . . . .

Women's International Pharmacy in Madison, Wi told me they have plenty of one grain tablets and they do mailorder. I think there is another in Arizona if that's closer for you. On the Naturetroid website says they built a new facility and are working on catching up the backorders. They have other mail order pharmacies on their website, too. I found this pharmacy on there. (Leave some for me though!)