Menu

If you’re vegan & eat seitan...

mytwomonkeys

Yeah, I knew I could freeze it - but I usually do so covered in broth. Have you just frozen it on its own before? I just wasn’t sure how well it would freeze fried. I think I’ll just go for it. I made too much & it will be the perfect lunch for some upcoming field trips and when co-op starts back next week. Should I just make my sandwich with it frozen and let it unthaw itself? My co-op has a microwave too I could zap it in before lunch. I’ve just never messed with seitan this way so was hoping someone else could help me 😊

Yeah, I knew I could freeze it - but I usually do so covered in broth. Have you just frozen it on its own before? I just wasn’t sure how well it would freeze fried. I think I’ll just go for it. I made too much & it will be the perfect lunch for some upcoming field trips and when co-op starts back next week. Should I just make my sandwich with it frozen and let it unthaw itself? My co-op has a microwave too I could zap it in before lunch. I’ve just never messed with seitan this way so was hoping someone else could help me 😊

I have always just frozen it as is and never covered in broth. In fact, since I either steam or bake it dry, I’d have to make broth to freeze it in and that’s just too much work. In fact, every summer when I take my kids to summer camp, we stop at The Herbivorous Butcher and buy a whole bunch of seitan-y goodness. I just toss their paper wrapped packags in a zip top bag and stick them in the freezer which I then carefully ration.

I’m having a hard time picturing what we’re talking about sandwich-wise to comment on the sandwich approach. How thick is it?

• Like 2

I have always just frozen it as is and never covered in broth. In fact, since I either steam or bake it dry, I’d have to make broth to freeze it in and that’s just too much work. In fact, every summer when I take my kids to summer camp, we stop at The Herbivorous Butcher and buy a whole bunch of seitan-y goodness. I just toss their paper wrapped packags in a zip top bag and stick them in the freezer which I then carefully ration.

I’m having a hard time picturing what we’re talking about sandwich-wise to comment on the sandwich approach. How thick is it?

It looks just like a boneless chick-fi-la piece of fried chicken... but maybe not quite as big. It fits perfectly on a whole wheat toasted hamburger bun ðŸ½

ETA - here’s what it looks like - http://www.theedgyveg.com/2016/03/21/chick-fil-chicken-sandwich/

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 2

I think your plan for sandwiches sounds like it should work. The coating might be kind of soggy as would be expected post microwaving, but the seitan itself should be just fine. If anything, it might give you some ideas for how to fine tune the recipe for future lunches. :D

• Like 1