Menu

Wallpaper vent

EMS83

I hate it.  I wish it was never invented and that the person who put it up in our house didn't do such. a. good. job.  Really, every possible nook and cranny...  And the glue.  I just wanna paint, people!!   :banghead:

BUT the kids are doing a great job and cheerfully helping for at least a couple hours each day which is awesome in at least two ways, so there's your silver lining.  :)

(I'm on day 3 of removing paper backing and glue in our kitchen, and cleaning up the walls so I can caulk and prime and paint.) 

• Like 3

Oh it can look nice.  Until you want it down.  Erg.  This stuff was textured and peeling, or I might have just mudded the seams and painted over it.  I will say that I used Chomp on the paper backing and it did do a fine job on several sections of the walls.  But other sections it's just not coming off as cleanly, and I think I'm just dealing with a lot of glue.  I'm tempted to just prime these areas twice.  I probably won't, really....   :glare:

I hate it. I wish it was never invented and that the person who put it up in our house didn't do such. a. good. job. Really, every possible nook and cranny... And the glue. I just wanna paint, people!! :banghead:

BUT the kids are doing a great job and cheerfully helping for at least a couple hours each day which is awesome in at least two ways, so there's your silver lining. :)

(I'm on day 3 of removing paper backing and glue in our kitchen, and cleaning up the walls so I can caulk and prime and paint.)

I agree...I've always thought there was a circle of hell especially for those people who put wallpaper up, where they spend eternity taking it down.

• Like 2

We’ve had a bad experience with wallpaper. The original homeowner of our house put wall paper up in a bathroom without priming or painting the sheetrock. We tried everything possible to get that wallpaper down without damaging the walls but it was no use. We ended up having to re-sheetrock that bathroom.

Dh has said we will never buy another house that has wallpaper in it.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  Annie and Patty.  Y'all win.  :D  

I'm not a fan of DIF, either.  I think it works well, but I'm wondering if I'm sensitive to it.  Or sensitive to harsh chemicals in general.  I ran out to get some because the Chomp wasn't getting off that stubborn layer of glue.  Sprayed the DIF from a mister (oops).  Felt funny.  Switched to a roller tray because directions duh.  But each proper application (foams when rolled, no spray) has left a weird taste in the back of my mouth.  Ick.  So much for a magic bullet.

I have to say, I don't think I'd not buy a house because of wallpaper, but it would really give me pause and possibly be factored into the negotiations.

When I do my giant lottery jackpot winning fantasies, I window shop mansions online and reject every one that has wallpaper. I don't even want to have someone to remove it for me.  I don't want it anywhere in my life. 

• Like 1

I hear you. We had the most awful tacky garish wallpaper in our first house, and a lot of old lady wallpaper in our second. Such a pain to remove.

This house has old plaster and lath in several rooms. Not sure whether that or the wallpaper is worse, haha.

We had wallpaper ON plaster. Truly awful.

• Like 1