Menu

Acellus Accreditation?

Hi,

I’m looking at options for my son next year & entertaining the idea of online classes. Acellus is really affordable with their homeschool and tutoring options, but I noticed they also have an academy option as well. It cost more money but offers teacher support, a diploma, and is accredited.

I’m not even sure that I would want to outsource every single class, but my question is, if they’re accredited and offer a diploma, why would we still be registered as homeschoolers in our state? Under parent information, it states this and I don’t understand why? I emailed them last week asking for clarification but no response. Anyone know the answer? I just assumed $500 month would mean you were actually enrolled in a private school & the diploma reflected that you graduated from an accredited school.

You have to register as a homeschooler because they are not registered with every states department of education as a private school. And FYI, they have "accredited" themselves right now. They are trying for a different accreditation, but haven't received it yet.

• Like 1

I just got a reply if anyone was wondering the same thing.

—————————

Hello Amy,

You would not need to register to homeschool in Florida. In essence, your student would be enrolled in an online private school based in Kansas City, Missouri.

If your student is currently enrolled in public school, we can provide documentation to show that your student is enrolled to facilitate that transfer of academic records.

In terms of applying for college, Acellus Academy would provide official transcripts to show the coursework that your student has completed. For the purposes of allowing your student to participate in dual enrollment, we can provide documentation to confirm that the student is enrolled. As an alternative to dual enrollment, we offer numerous AP courses.

Please don't hesitate to contact us regarding any further questions.

Kind regards,

Joshua Billings

Acellus Academy

I would ask what district they are registered through and check the FL DOE private school registry. If they are not on that list, you absolutely do need to register as a homeschooler. If you're interested in dual enrollment, tuition is free for homeschool students in all the state schools, but you have to pay for books.

• Like 1

I would ask what district they are registered through and check the FL DOE private school registry. If they are not on that list, you absolutely do need to register as a homeschooler. If you're interested in dual enrollment, tuition is free for homeschool students in all the state schools, but you have to pay for books.

Thank you! That’s a good idea! I will look now. I’m currently registered with a private school (which is really just an umbrella school), so I’m wondering if they would just be the same thing? I’m not even sure that I’d ever enroll my son for every single course or use the Academy option..., it struck me as very odd when looking at their website. I couldn’t understand how he could graduate with a diploma from an online school unless he was actually enrolled in their school.

• Like 1

What about FLVS?  

We've only taken two classes so far.  HOPE (PE) course - just to check the box.  And honors anatomy and physiology which is going very well; we have an excellent teacher who provides pointed feedback to DD. 

As mentioned above... They have accredited themselves. If you look up the agency that accredited them, it is the same address.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

According to their facebook page they are in the process of becoming accredited through the WASC. This was posted on Dec. 22:

We are pleased to report on our progress toward obtaining accreditation through WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges). Our school has completed our site visit and has delivered all the materials requested. We are expecting positive news in February after the next WASC Commission Meeting. We will keep you posted.

WGNA accreditation was created by Acellus in conjunction with 20 other schools as an enhancement on top of regional accreditation to ensure that the very best online teaching methods are being used. This process does not replace regional accreditation and that is why we are undergoing the full accreditation process with WASC.