Menu

Chores for 2 and 3yo

Kjirstyn

What chores can your 2 or 3yos do? I'm wondering what ideas I might be overlooking, and the more the better...we always seem to be running short of them around here, and both my kids are SO much happier when they break up their playing with some real WORK. Go figure. 😅😅

Yes, we do that! I was just making a list so I could remember for when we have littles again someday. 😠Our two unload most of the dishwasher between them, wash the table (the 3yo), take dishes from table to sink, help pull around laundry baskets, juuust learning to fold washcloths! Ummm...oh, and they can use the dustvac to clean up small messes. Which they make a lot of. ðŸ˜

I've always had a "kid cupboard" in the kitchen. It's one of the lower cupboards that they can get into and out of, and keep all of the kid stuff. At 2-3 they were all able (and eager!) to organize it, take out dishes for meals, put away dishes once clean, etc. 

That's also a good age for putting away books. We've always had a dedicated "baby bookshelf" that even the littlest kids could put books away. My 5th kid had a the rain gutter style bookshelves (except we used Ikea spice racks and picture ledges). We're in a different home now, but I plan to put  up the same in a few months for #6 to use. It goes along with picking up toys. 

A few of my kids could match socks and help sort laundry at that age, but not all of them could. 

My kids just trailed along. They’d play in the sink “washing†dishes when I was working in the kitchen. We had toy clean up time. We had child size yard tools - rake, shovel, handheld garden tools. I’d give them a dust rag. They loved squirting stuff. I’d le5 them try and find sock pairs folding laundry.

Wiping/dusting baseboards

Wiping down cabinet doors and knobs

Sorting clean socks and undies by owner

Picking up sticks in the yard

Loading the washer (grabbing a couple items at a time from a laundry basket and using a stool to put them in the washer)

Various fetching/carrying/delivering tasks

Small dust busting jobs as long as I don't care about the quality of the results

Washing the bathtub with soapy rags during bath time

Wiping their own chair/highchair and place at the table

"Reading" to younger siblings while I do a chore nearby...I call this babysitting to make it clear they are doing a job

My kids favorite was putting away the silverware basket while I unloaded the dishwasher. I put the basket of clean silverware on the counter right above the open silverware drawer and put the step stool in front. They stood on the stool and sorted. My third child’s first sentence was, “Spoon go here.†â¤ï¸â¤ï¸â¤ï¸â¤ï¸â¤ï¸

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Help load the washer or dryer if you don't mind it taking 3x as long as it should.  :-)

Sort silverware from dishwasher to silverware tray (if you have a removable silverware drawer tray, you can set it right on the ground for the kid.  Remove steak knives...)

Set their place at the table with unbreakable dishes

Go fetch things mommy needs

Mine likes to "wash dishes" with his toy dishes in the bathroom sink.  This will keep him occupied for 30 minutes!  I also had him wash at our play scares once, using a bit of dish soap in the bathroom sink.  This also kept him busy for such a long time.  These are best if your kid already knows not to throw water and such.  

Wipe up spills

Put pajamas on pillow for next night, throw pull-up in garbage can.

Wash own face and hands

Put shoes in shoe bin or line up neatly in desired location

Match easily-matched socks

Fold washcloths (I use washcloths 90% of the time in the kitchen instead of paper towels, so there's always at least 10 in any load)

Carry stuff to the table (ketchup, mustard, block of cheese, loaf of bread...)

Make announcement to siblings ("dinner time!" etc)

Thanks for the ideas! I definitely need to start remembering the table setting and laundry loading...we've done those but for some reason I completely forget about them until I'VE done them.  :-D I'll have to start having them wipe down their chairs and spots, too. 

I've always had the hardest time with the whole concept of them tagging along doing what I do...that was always MY plan, but somehow my oldest just hasn't been in to that, so I've had to be a lot more purposeful about keeping him busy...he likes play to a certain extent, but he gets tired of too much free time and since he doesn't tag along of his own accord...I have to consciously think of it, and what he's capable of.  :-)

Edited by Kjirstyn

My 2 year old loves to clean things up to show how clever he is. He puts his bibs in the bib drawer, puts trash in the garbage, puts toys in their specific bins etc. He also loves putting his laundry in the machine and pretty much any other task we give him. We even handed him papers we were going through and he placed them in a file...he loved it and every time he filed a paper he clapped for himself.