Menu

totally petty (nail related) vent

ktgrok

I don't understand when people say to just do it anyway, because if you don't have the extra money, you don't have the extra money.  On the other hand, I can see trying hard to rearrange the budget to get a good haircut now and then, but that seems more noticeable to me.  Do people really notice nails?  I guess I'd rather have short, plain nails than DIY nails that are constantly chipping and needing to be fixed.

I don't really understand the eyebrow thing either.  I know eyebrow waxing is popular now, but can't you just pluck them?  I've plucked my wild eyebrow hairs all my life and if you do it daily, it takes no time at all.

Anyway, I'm not judging.   :)  I'd feel terrible if I had to give up good coffee!

Totally agree on the budget!  If it's strains the budget, it's gotta go.  If it's just guilt because you rarely splurge on yourself... well that needs to be negotiated to see if the splurge is reasonable and the boost is worth the buck.  

Eyebrows though...  Some people can responsibly pluck...  some people should have their tweezers forcibly removed from their hands by caring friends.  I'm the latter...  The only way I can *not* go totally overboard is to remind myself that my eyebrow lady will scold me.   :lol:

• Like 1

I'm not usually a high maintenance girl, but I DO feel much better with a nice manicure.  I just paint mine at home, though.  Lots of practice and a decent polish and I feel just as good as I used to with a professional manicure.

I do recommend using decent polish.  Sally Hansen's no-light gel holds up pretty well.  I can usually go a full week without any major chips or fades if I avoid washing dishes or use gloves.

Years ago, I did learn how to do my own acrylics and I was decent at it.  (I briefly considered getting licensed because enough people were impressed, lol.)  After a while, I got sick of how it affected my natural nails, though.

I get the nails thing. I stopped doing my own nails for years while my kids were growing up. A few years ago, when I began making a bit of money, I started getting gels. I like them so much! It's the one thing I do for myself (other than be on the computer). I get maybe 2 pedis each summer , but because of the expense, I maintain my feet myself the rest of the time.

Re the overplucked brows. Mine still seem to be growing, except now they are on my chin. :O  I'd love to look into microblading, but the cost would have to drop significantly.

• Like 1

All this to say - cut the nail polishes if you feel it, but if you decide to keep doing it, I say do it with no guilt!!

This is important.  You need to decide if it is worth it to you.  Remember that YOU are worth the extra care in any case, you are only deciding if spending the money on this particular aspect is what is important.  If you really don't have the money, then the stress of spending money you don't have isn't good for you and ultimately self-defeating.  BUT if this is what is important to you and you can move money from another budget category to make it possible, do it!

Once you've made the decision, go forward with no guilt.

• Like 1

I'm finding the comments on eyebrow care quite interesting, I did not really know that so many people felt unequipped to "properly" pluck their eyebrows. I didn't even know that recovery from over plucking was a thing, but I've always had fuller eyebrows and never bothered trying to pretend I didn't.

My favorite eye brow trick is keeping the tweezers in the car, I get the best light possible in the car and the visor mirror is at the perfect location to do my brows. And because I keep them there and I'm always in the car, I don't have much reason to go too long between doing it. It's also great for that pesky random hairs that seem to sprout out an inch long over night -- especially the ones you only seem to noticed when standing in a register line (ack!). 

I can't really speak to the other items other than when we have to cut the budget, sometimes I have to let go of things that I truly love. Finding a DIY version is my only solution - and also altering expectations. Oh well there is also the solution of talking with my spouse and deciding to cut another area if I truly feel that I can't remove an option or brainstorm how I will come up with the money to cover the activity my self if I really want it - so doing without isn't actually the only option. 

• Like 3

FWIW, my nails are and always have been weak, thin, and prone to being short.

I have never done fake nails, but I've enjoyed professional and DIY mani/pedis at times. I love the way they look all neat and tidy and polished. BUT, without fail, after a couple of weeks to a month or two of having my nails painted and pretty . . . they get super weak and terrible and end up super short.

*IF* I can totally leave them alone for a few months, they'll start growing longer and looking good naked. They are at this point right now. That's when I inevitably think of how pretty they'd look pink or red or blue . . . and then I polish them . . . and soon enough they are wrecked. I've bought every variety of polish and base coat, etc, over the years . . . but no matter what I use, this is what happens.

So, anyway, *maybe* if you leave them totally alone for a couple months they'll strengthen like mine do and look better.  

• Like 1

I don't really understand the eyebrow thing either.  I know eyebrow waxing is popular now, but can't you just pluck them?  I've plucked my wild eyebrow hairs all my life and if you do it daily, it takes no time at all.

Anyway, I'm not judging.   :)  I'd feel terrible if I had to give up good coffee!

I'm a wuss, lol! Like, once called my dad to come pull out a splinter....and he lived hours away! (he refused, and told me to suck it up). I can't cause myself pain. Mind you, I've had three home births of big babies including one over 10 pounds, a c-section with a faulty epidural, etc. But cannot pluck my own brows.My eye start watering and then my hand shakes...I just can't. I barely make it through waxing.

With my shot hair now the brows are more noticeable than ever. I actually use an eyebrow pencil now to darken them when I bother to do makeup and my mom and sister notice and say how nice it looks. I think with my fair skin and short short hair they just are pretty noticable. But blond, so I can go a while between waxing. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. I'm going to take off the color polish today and do clear, just because the chipped polish looks terrible to me. See how I feel about them clear over the next few days, and if they rip/break anymore. Right now, they are super short (like to the quick on a few almost) but tolerable. If they rip below that, to where they are painful (happens frequently) I'm going to probably give up and get the cheaper acrylics (vs the dip). 

I'm also realizing tha part of what I love about getting my nails done is that it is the only time in my life I'm guaranteed to have zero kids with me. I have had my hair cut with a baby in my lap, lol. I always take the baby when I grocery shop. Etc. But for my fingernails, my DH will watch her. 

Also, for most of my life I didn't bother with this stuff, but I also didn't feel very pretty. Since bariatric surgery, I've found myself caring about hair cuts and makeup and nails. Like...before I felt it wasn't worth bothering because no matter what I wouldn't feel pretty, but now I do. So I need to acknowledge that, and figure out a way to embrace it even if I can't spend as much. Not just expect to go back to how I was before when I didn't bother. 

• Like 6

I do my own nails with regular polishes and would recommend learning to do it yourself. I do not use any acrylics (though I have in my lifetime) because they DO destroy your actual nails. IME, it is not much different from anything else in life: it is tricky at first, especially doing the non-dominant hand, but you learn, and having good tools for it is half the battle. Here are my tools:

Nail files from coarse to fine grit

Nail buffer block that has three levels of courseness, ending with buff

Cuticle oil (you could use a natural oil like JoJoba as well)

Cuticle pusher

Essie base coat

Essie or OPI color polish (Essie has a gel style; my DD has used this with good results but I have not.)

Essie quick drying top coat.

The OPI colors have a very nice brush that offers superior color application. But Essie is a great brand, too.

For a pedicure, I soak my feet first in a foot bath with Epsom Salts and/or Aplle Cider Vinegar. For hands, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do this but would if I had very dry skin or callouses.

For pedicure, I use a piece of paper towel to separate my toes before I begin. Dry feet.

For pedicure, I always have to do a lot of scraping with the cuticle pusher because of skin buildup or whatever.

For fingernails, I use the files and buffer block to shape nails and to give a good top surface suitable for receiving paint. The buffer block finishes the top surface very smoothly and this is part of what makes polish last longer. Toenails get trimmed short, as this is what the pros do and it looks better for a longer time.

After everything is shaped and buffed, i put cuticle oil on (toe or fingernails) and very gently push back any cuticles that need it. I rub the lil in well to hydrate nail and cuticle. Dry off with a paper towel.

Before painting, i shake my bottles and have q-tips and/or a mistake corrector pen nady and open. Q-tips need a little polish remover on them.

I start with the base coat. This also helps give a smooth surface for paint to grab onto. You need to get a feel for loading the brush and wiping off excess on bottle edge till there is just a Ă¢â‚¬Å“beadĂ¢â‚¬ of paint on the brush. DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go all the way to the very top of the cuticle; let the bead of paint bubble into place; stroke evenly to tip of nail. I use one coat of base and then begin color.

Repeat with color. I virtually always do two thinnish coats of color rather than one gloppy one. Use the q-tips or corrector pen if it gets out of bounds. At the beginning, you will make mistakes, but you will improve. I make barely any mistakes with application now.

Finish with one coat of the top coat. Voila! Beautful nails! Much less costly. Less time interference in your family.

I always do my nails or toes in the evening when I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to tax my nails in any way. It is best if they have at least a few hours off-duty so the polish can thoroughly cure, thouh this is true when you have it done professsionally, too. If I am doing toenails and fingernails both, obviously it makes sense to do toes first. I say obviously, but I have started with my hands a couple times and then went, Ă¢â‚¬Å“OH! Duh!Ă¢â‚¬ Ă°Å¸Ëœ

My methods keep my polish looking good for usually a week, unless I am doing some heavy cleaning or something like that. If you swim frequently, it will have an impact. Beach sand is also very hard on polish. Right at this moment, i have pretty silver polish on my nails that I did before NYE and it still looks perfect. I do sometimes go for a pro pedicure in the summer, but I have gotten so used to doing my own, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hard to remember why it would be worth it.

When I was two-thirds of the way through thping all that, I realized there are probably nine thousand YouTube videos that show the same thing. Ă°Å¸Ëœ So who knows if that will be useful or not. But I am a recovering nail addict and I wish I could have back all the money I spent on acryllic nails years ago. I have come to like DIYing it much, much better. (Although my HAIR is a different story!)

• Like 1

FWIW, my nails are and always have been weak, thin, and prone to being short.

I have never done fake nails, but I've enjoyed professional and DIY mani/pedis at times. I love the way they look all neat and tidy and polished. BUT, without fail, after a couple of weeks to a month or two of having my nails painted and pretty . . . they get super weak and terrible and end up super short.

*IF* I can totally leave them alone for a few months, they'll start growing longer and looking good naked. They are at this point right now. That's when I inevitably think of how pretty they'd look pink or red or blue . . . and then I polish them . . . and soon enough they are wrecked. I've bought every variety of polish and base coat, etc, over the years . . . but no matter what I use, this is what happens.

So, anyway, *maybe* if you leave them totally alone for a couple months they'll strengthen like mine do and look better.  

I just posted a spin-off looking for a solution to this problem.  Maybe someone will come up with something for both of us.

s/o Nails - polish that doesn't destroy your nails    

• Like 2

Thanks all. I'm going to take off the color polish today and do clear, just because the chipped polish looks terrible to me. See how I feel about them clear over the next few days, and if they rip/break anymore. Right now, they are super short (like to the quick on a few almost) but tolerable. If they rip below that, to where they are painful (happens frequently) I'm going to probably give up and get the cheaper acrylics (vs the dip).

I'm also realizing tha part of what I love about getting my nails done is that it is the only time in my life I'm guaranteed to have zero kids with me. I have had my hair cut with a baby in my lap, lol. I always take the baby when I grocery shop. Etc. But for my fingernails, my DH will watch her.

Also, for most of my life I didn't bother with this stuff, but I also didn't feel very pretty. Since bariatric surgery, I've found myself caring about hair cuts and makeup and nails. Like...before I felt it wasn't worth bothering because no matter what I wouldn't feel pretty, but now I do. So I need to acknowledge that, and figure out a way to embrace it even if I can't spend as much. Not just expect to go back to how I was before when I didn't bother.

Have you seen the ImPress press-on nails? I know what you're thinking, but they're seriously amazing! I wear them for a week at a time and they hold up beautifully. They cost about $8 and you get two full sets out of that plus some extra accent nails.

I get needing these things. It can be hard to explain, but I like the way I feel when I'm polished. It's for me, not other people.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Another option for the eyebrows, which will cost more short-term but save more long-term, would be to get electrolysis to eliminate the stray area. Though honestly, if you have anything short of a full-on unibrow naturally, your eyebrows probably look better natural than you think.

Start going for a walk sans baby. Explain to your DH you are doing this instead of spending money on your nails. Kid free time is good for you--something I took far too long to learn!

• Like 2

I do my own nails with regular polishes and would recommend learning to do it yourself. I do not use any acrylics (though I have in my lifetime) because they DO destroy your actual nails. IME, it is not much different from anything else in life: it is tricky at first, especially doing the non-dominant hand, but you learn, and having good tools for it is half the battle. Here are my tools:

Nail files from coarse to fine grit

Nail buffer block that has three levels of courseness, ending with buff

Cuticle oil (you could use a natural oil like JoJoba as well)

Cuticle pusher

Essie base coat

Essie or OPI color polish (Essie has a gel style; my DD has used this with good results but I have not.)

Essie quick drying top coat.

The OPI colors have a very nice brush that offers superior color application. But Essie is a great brand, too.

For a pedicure, I soak my feet first in a foot bath with Epsom Salts and/or Aplle Cider Vinegar. For hands, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do this but would if I had very dry skin or callouses.

For pedicure, I use a piece of paper towel to separate my toes before I begin. Dry feet.

For pedicure, I always have to do a lot of scraping with the cuticle pusher because of skin buildup or whatever.

For fingernails, I use the files and buffer block to shape nails and to give a good top surface suitable for receiving paint. The buffer block finishes the top surface very smoothly and this is part of what makes polish last longer. Toenails get trimmed short, as this is what the pros do and it looks better for a longer time.

After everything is shaped and buffed, i put cuticle oil on (toe or fingernails) and very gently push back any cuticles that need it. I rub the lil in well to hydrate nail and cuticle. Dry off with a paper towel.

Before painting, i shake my bottles and have q-tips and/or a mistake corrector pen nady and open. Q-tips need a little polish remover on them.

I start with the base coat. This also helps give a smooth surface for paint to grab onto. You need to get a feel for loading the brush and wiping off excess on bottle edge till there is just a Ă¢â‚¬Å“beadĂ¢â‚¬ of paint on the brush. DonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go all the way to the very top of the cuticle; let the bead of paint bubble into place; stroke evenly to tip of nail. I use one coat of base and then begin color.

Repeat with color. I virtually always do two thinnish coats of color rather than one gloppy one. Use the q-tips or corrector pen if it gets out of bounds. At the beginning, you will make mistakes, but you will improve. I make barely any mistakes with application now.

Finish with one coat of the top coat. Voila! Beautful nails! Much less costly. Less time interference in your family.

I always do my nails or toes in the evening when I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have to tax my nails in any way. It is best if they have at least a few hours off-duty so the polish can thoroughly cure, thouh this is true when you have it done professsionally, too. If I am doing toenails and fingernails both, obviously it makes sense to do toes first. I say obviously, but I have started with my hands a couple times and then went, Ă¢â‚¬Å“OH! Duh!Ă¢â‚¬ Ă°Å¸Ëœ

My methods keep my polish looking good for usually a week, unless I am doing some heavy cleaning or something like that. If you swim frequently, it will have an impact. Beach sand is also very hard on polish. Right at this moment, i have pretty silver polish on my nails that I did before NYE and it still looks perfect. I do sometimes go for a pro pedicure in the summer, but I have gotten so used to doing my own, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s hard to remember why it would be worth it.

When I was two-thirds of the way through thping all that, I realized there are probably nine thousand YouTube videos that show the same thing. Ă°Å¸Ëœ So who knows if that will be useful or not. But I am a recovering nail addict and I wish I could have back all the money I spent on acryllic nails years ago. I have come to like DIYing it much, much better. (Although my HAIR is a different story!)

Thank you! This was really useful! I actually just bought Essie topcoat yesterday but I have never used a base coat and I had no idea that using a buffer was that important. I like the idea of doing my nails more, but whenever I do colour I end up with chips or fading almost immediately. Hopefully I can get some longer lasting wear if I use your tips ;) 

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with decorating one's body for pleasure, but it really has nothing to do with your self-worth. 

• Like 4

I have never gotten my nails done. I don't paint them or do anything other than routine maintenance. I don't even get my hair cut outside the home. My husband cuts it. I tell you this so you know where I am coming from.

It sounds like you are spending $100 a month or so on nails and eyebrows (which I'm going to admit, I don't even know what eyebrow waxing is or how much it costs, I'm guestimating $25?), and I can see the need to cut back on that. That said, if you love having your nails done, then designate the $30+tip as your personal discretionary money (which everyone should have barring complete financial destitution) and get your nails done every four weeks. That $30 is presumably not going to be the budgetary item that breaks the bank, and you actually deserve to do something nice for yourself once a month.

When the kids where little I took them to the vocational high school to get their hair cut for $3.00. Tips went toward a scholarship/fundraiser.

When I was there the place was always full of women getting their nails done. I was told some of them even make reservations for lunch at the "cafe" run by the culinary students.

I'm guessing if the kids' haircuts where inexpensive, so were the nails.

Edited by amyx4
  • Like 1

So, the base coat and top coat I used the other day were nail strengthening stuff, but the polish itself was cheap stuff. And when I just took it off it stained my fingers. Ugh. Now I have taupe fingers, lol. And it got UNDER my nails so it looks like dirt under there. So I will NOT being doing clear, lol. I'll put on some of the good OPI stuff I have I guess, and hope it lasts until the weekend. 

I didn't embrace even the tiniest bit of girly until my 30s, and it's sort of amazing how I like it. Like, I love it. It has messed with all sorts of stereotypes I had in my head about what "smart girls" or "good girls" or whatever did. Turns out, all kinds of girls like beauty supplies and pedicures and eyebrows.

And on the flipside, not liking it doesn't turn people into a smart girl. :)

Sounds silly, but one of those things that forced me to face my unconscious biases.

ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s interesting because IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve thought about this, too. But honestly, I think I just find unattractive and unappealing things that many other women like such as polished nails (especially long ones), thin eyebrows, glasses with any ornamentation, sparkle, or color patterns, almost all purses, etc.

Fwiw, for some people eyebrow plucking isn't just about plucking stray hairs, it is also to balance the size and shape of their left and right brow.

My eyebrows aren't naturally mirror twins of each other. They are more like distant cousins....one is much thicker and more unruly than the other. They even have different arch shapes.

I like that Ulta brow maps the angles on your face before they begin...it leads to a more balanced look even if you end up with a different technician than usual.

• Like 1

you can also check on supporting your adrenals - as that affects nail strength.  actually - super hard nails, is a sign of a over active adrenals.

I love my nails.  they're happiest if I do nothing with them.  do need to be better about lotion on the cuticle.

I had the "expense" thing with my hair.  I was getting a tri-foil every 6 weeks.  I stopped cutting it because it seemed ridiculous - and expensive.  mostly expensive!

Now, I've embraced my gray and stopped foiling.  (which is weird.  some parts are silver, some white, some very dark blonde - all with champagne highlights.  all natural.   now . . . I'm paying someone to cut it again. at least it's cheaper.

• Like 1

just fyi for anyone looking to buy new stuff, some of the brands mentioned in this thread are not cruelty free. If you're looking for brands that don't test on animals, this is a good list:

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/nails/cruelty-free-nail-polish/

Thank you for posting that, hornblower. I am willing to try a couple of those brands when I buy again and see if they perform acceptably.

• Like 1

When the kids where little I took them to the vocational high school to get their hair cut for $3.00. Tips went toward a scholarship/fundraiser.

When I was there the place was always full of women getting their nails done. I was told some of them even make reservations for lunch at the "cafe" run by the culinary students.

I'm guessing if the kids' haircuts where inexpensive, so were the nails.

This was basically how my DD got her prom hairdos. She went to the beauty school. Fantastic job, much lower price.

First things first, then: you need to guarantee yourself some time with zero kids. 

If dh can watch the baby while you get your nails done, then dh can (and should) watch the baby while you grocery shop, get your hair cut, go to the library, or do whatever your little heart desires. If you tend to not ask for this, just go ahead and schedule a regular time each week, at least 2 hours. After a few weeks, it will be easier to decide if being kid-free was the main selling point of getting your nails done, or if you'd rather spend that time and money in other ways. 

From my observations, it can still be very hard for some women to claim time and money on their own terms. They are more likely to do so for stereotypically female things, whether that's actually what they most want to do or not. Sometimes husbands/families are more likely to support them in this, and sometimes we just think they are more likely to support us in this (not really think, even, I think it is more of a subconscious feeling). 

Get the space and time you need to decide what is most important to you (activity-wise and budget-wise). 

• Like 8

First things first, then: you need to guarantee yourself some time with zero kids.

If dh can watch the baby while you get your nails done, then dh can (and should) watch the baby while you grocery shop, get your hair cut, go to the library, or do whatever your little heart desires. If you tend to not ask for this, just go ahead and schedule a regular time each week, at least 2 hours. After a few weeks, it will be easier to decide if being kid-free was the main selling point of getting your nails done, or if you'd rather spend that time and money in other ways.

From my observations, it can still be very hard for some women to claim time and money on their own terms. They are more likely to do so for stereotypically female things, whether that's actually what they most want to do or not. Sometimes husbands/families are more likely to support them in this, and sometimes we just think they are more likely to support us in this (not really think, even, I think it is more of a subconscious feeling).

Get the space and time you need to decide what is most important to you (activity-wise and budget-wise).

Totally agree. When I had babies/toddlers, I had a Ă¢â‚¬Å“night offĂ¢â‚¬ almost every week. Sometimes, I had a real goal, like meet a friend for dinner, or go to Costco, but sometimes it was just to meander around the library or go to a bookstore or just have soup at Panera. Just for me. A few hours. He could hold the fort for a few hours once a week, even if there was a kid who was being fussy, or teething or mama-velcro or whatever. I learned to let him be the parent, too, and not just the fair-weather parent, lol.

• Like 3

just fyi for anyone looking to buy new stuff, some of the brands mentioned in this thread are not cruelty free. If you're looking for brands that don't test on animals, this is a good list:

https://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/nails/cruelty-free-nail-polish/

Both Butter London and Zoya are cruelty free andÂ Ă¢â‚¬Å“8-FreeĂ¢â‚¬, meaning it does not contain Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, DBP, Toluene, Camphor, Ethyl Tosylamide, Xylene, or TPHP.

Zoya is also 100% vegan.  (Zoya also says 10-free -on their website, but I don't know if that includes all the polishes or just some. Those include the chemicals listed above, and also include no Lead and something else I don't remember)

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

Amazon sells dip polish kits, and it doesn't look difficult judging by YouTube videos, but it is pricey (About $100 for the most-reviewed one). Of course it looks like the kit would work for more than a year, so it might be cost effective. But given that it's the only time you get without kids, I think I'd try other, cheaper salons but stick to the dip style - acrylics may be cheaper, but they destroy your nail beds and leave you more susceptible to infections and nail bed damage. 

After I took acrylics off I once got half my nails caught in a hospital bed rail, which damaged the nail beds and left me with nail psoriasis.  My mom has psoriasis in one nail she got damaged by fake nails too, so it might have been inevitable, but before I had acrylics my nails were never permanently damaged by minor injuries.

I can't identify with the brows thing, I just suck it up and pluck them myself.  I have a friend who gets her brows done every 3 months and in between she plucks the obvious ones herself.  She says she can't remember the right shape if she just plucks herself.

• Like 1

The problem I have isn't chipping, my whole polish comes off in one piece.  :confused1:  I do a base coat, 2 color coats, & top coat. 

That happens with some base coats when they don't have good adhesion to the nail. If your nails have a bit of lotion or cuticle oil on them that can also cause it. What brand are you using? 

I usually just do my toes. It lasts forever. My nails will maybe last a couple of hours. The problem I have isn't chipping, my whole polish comes off in one piece.  :confused1:  I do a base coat, 2 color coats, & top coat. 

My daughter has that same issue! I'm going to try using chip skip stuff on her to see if it helps...I hear it's from oily nail beds?

SaveSave

That happens with some base coats when they don't have good adhesion to the nail. If your nails have a bit of lotion or cuticle oil on them that can also cause it. What brand are you using? 

I started using the Hard as Nails stuff. Last time I wiped my nails down with alcohol before painting them. I have the Zoya colors. May need to get the Zoya base.

Amazon sells dip polish kits, and it doesn't look difficult judging by YouTube videos, but it is pricey (About $100 for the most-reviewed one). Of course it looks like the kit would work for more than a year, so it might be cost effective. But given that it's the only time you get without kids, I think I'd try other, cheaper salons but stick to the dip style - acrylics may be cheaper, but they destroy your nail beds and leave you more susceptible to infections and nail bed damage.

After I took acrylics off I once got half my nails caught in a hospital bed rail, which damaged the nail beds and left me with nail psoriasis. My mom has psoriasis in one nail she got damaged by fake nails too, so it might have been inevitable, but before I had acrylics my nails were never permanently damaged by minor injuries.

I can't identify with the brows thing, I just suck it up and pluck them myself. I have a friend who gets her brows done every 3 months and in between she plucks the obvious ones herself. She says she can't remember the right shape if she just plucks herself.

I never have my brows done, either. I pluck outliers, but I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make my brows Ă¢â‚¬Å“doĂ¢â‚¬ anything shape-wise. Fortunately, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m happy with the shape of my brows, though.

I think it looks weird when (usually young) women try to have those eyebrows that look like a sticker. Like they were drawn on by a comic book artist. AnimĂƒÂ© eyebrows. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not into that. I want my eyebrows to look like hair growing above my eye.

• Like 2

So, i forget who mentioned the Impress stick on nails, but I just watched a few reviews and I think I'll pick up some and try them tomorrow. Might as well, they are pretty cheap, about $6, so depending how long they last they may be a good deal. I do like that they don't damage the nail bed, and I can do them at home quickly. Worth a try. 

If I don't like them, I'll get my nails done at the cheaper place, the regular acrylics, on Saturday or Sunday. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

I never have my brows done, either. I pluck outliers, but I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make my brows Ă¢â‚¬Å“doĂ¢â‚¬ anything shape-wise. Fortunately, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m happy with the shape of my brows, though.

I think it looks weird when (usually young) women try to have those eyebrows that look like a sticker. Like they were drawn on by a comic book artist. AnimĂƒÂ© eyebrows. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not into that. I want my eyebrows to look like hair growing above my eye.

I used to do this, but I do pluck mine into a slightly different shape now.  Mine have a natural arch just to the outside of my iris, and I realized maybe 5 years ago that while that had been the trendy shape when I was a teen, now the trend is to move the arch out somewhere like quarter inch beyond that.  I changed the shape with tweezers and instantly started getting carded again. But I do have to pluck at least twice a week to keep them like that.  I suspect if I just let them go I'd end up with old man brows - an inch long and growing all over my lids.

So, i forget who mentioned the Impress stick on nails, but I just watched a few reviews and I think I'll pick up some and try them tomorrow. Might as well, they are pretty cheap, about $6, so depending how long they last they may be a good deal. I do like that they don't damage the nail bed, and I can do them at home quickly. Worth a try.

If I don't like them, I'll get my nails done at the cheaper place, the regular acrylics, on Saturday or Sunday.

One of my friends swears by these. She said to wipe your nails with alcohol before applying and she always applies shortly before bed so they have plenty of time to adhere. She had put them on for Christmas and they were still holding strong a week later.
  • Like 1

Maize--I go to the brow bar at Ulta quarterly. It's $18 and I pay a $3 tip. I touch up in between appointments--I would go every six weeks otherwise.

I gave up dyeing my hair and getting expensive haircuts, but this is my line in the sand!

I had no idea Ulta had a brow bar! I've been planning to go in there to look at some DevaCurl products but I desperately need my brows done.

I've had my nails done once--for my sister's wedding. Never again. Never had a pedicure, although I probably could use one.

I had no idea Ulta had a brow bar! I've been planning to go in there to look at some DevaCurl products but I desperately need my brows done.

I've had my nails done once--for my sister's wedding. Never again. Never had a pedicure, although I probably could use one.

If I don't get pedicures at least somewhat regularly I end up with rough, calloused, scary feet that catch on the sheets in bed and are just not attractive. But, that's probably because I go barefoot as much as possible. And..because I'm always either barefoot or in flip flops, having decent looking feet is important to me. Just not important enough to wear socks and shoes all the time...lol. 

• Like 1

So, I have some of the impress nails on right now! I've not done press on nails since the Lee Press on ones in middle school, lol. They look cute, although I may shorten them a bit. It says to wait an hour though. Now to see how they last! If they work out, they would let me grow my own nails out, past the damaged part. They are super thin, so great for back scratching, which I hate about acrylics, lol. Thanks for the tip! 

I got the Pop Star color/pattern: https://www.kissusa.com/nails/brands/impress-gel-manicure-pop-star

• Like 1

Haven't read responses but what I do is keep my nails fairly short and put a coat of clear polish on them. Then, when they chip, it is not visible. After a few days, put another coat of clear over the old one. In a few more days, take off the old polish and start over. This method keeps my nails strong and healthy-looking, not fancy at all - but it works! I would save my splurge dollars for pedicures, which last a long time. Good luck!

So, I have some of the impress nails on right now! I've not done press on nails since the Lee Press on ones in middle school, lol. They look cute, although I may shorten them a bit. It says to wait an hour though. Now to see how they last! If they work out, they would let me grow my own nails out, past the damaged part. They are super thin, so great for back scratching, which I hate about acrylics, lol. Thanks for the tip!

I got the Pop Star color/pattern: https://www.kissusa.com/nails/brands/impress-gel-manicure-pop-star

Please report back on these.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m wondering about water. What if stickers come up just a little bit but not enough for you to notice. If moisture was trapped under there, it seems like this could cause problems. (Not wanting to give you something to worry about but rather to watch.)

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m wondering about water. What if stickers come up just a little bit but not enough for you to notice. If moisture was trapped under there, it seems like this could cause problems. (Not wanting to give you something to worry about but rather to watch.)

My exact question after watching a video review showing them pulling up a little at the back. I have nail wraps that were helpful for getting me to stop biting my nails but they consistently damage my nails.  Would like a good, short-term option to help my nails grow in a little. 

If it is just a little, I imagine that water would dry. And they don't stay on forever, I will be happy if they last a full week. That's not long enough to cause any real problems. With acrylics you can have issues too if they lift and get moisture under there, but that generally only happens if you don't go for fills often enough and just don't take care of them. I've never had an issue. 

Mini update...woke up and they are all still on, lol. I kind of expected them to just fall off overnight or something. But nope. I may trim them a bit shorter due to needing to type a lot, and to make it easier to get contacts out at night, we will see. I'm sort of relearning how to do these things with longer nails. 

• Like 2

And...the index finger ones are already lifting. I'm sure because I use those fingers more. Sigh.

Going to see if DH can watch the baby in a while so I can go get acrylics. Not having pretty nails just makes me sad. Or rather, having pretty nails makes me happy. And with the depression I've been fighting for the last year, that's worth something. 

• Like 3

I wear KISS nails, not the stick on kind but the glue on kind. I use the KISS brush on glue. I rough up my natural nail with a file and wipe them with alcohol before I put the nails on. They last about two weeks but they arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t good for your natural nails. Nothing is perfect, right? If you want your nails to look nice but not get in your way, try the RS (really short) size.