Menu

I just put my girlie on a plane to France for the semester

Ginevra

I’m so excited and nervous and happy and terrified!

I am sure this will be a wonderful growth experience for her. I hope she navigates all the logistics that will happen, especially in the next couple days. It’s a little bit terrifying! I’m thankful she has a good head on her shoulders and just watching her prepare for this trip shows she is impressively capable...but you know, she’s still my little girl, my first-born!

Send some good vibes or prayers for all of us - her, for safety and wisdom; us, so we don’t crack from anxiety!

• Like 29

Lucky girl! Good job mom- you must have done something right for this to be possible. I’m sure she’ll have a fabulous experience. My one regret from undergrad is that I didn’t take the opportunity to study abroad. (At the time I couldn’t bear the thought of being away from BF, now DH, for a few months!)

• Like 1

I hope she has a great time!  I wish Study Abroad had been more common/popular back when I went to college.  I know some students did it, but not nearly as many as today's students.  At my college it was mainly language or culture majors.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

I hope your dd has a great experience! My dd went to Germany 2 years ago for study abroad. She lost her phone in Heathrow Airport as soon as she arrived. It caused her (and us!) some concern, but she learned from the experience. Mostly, she learned she could do without the phone and just used her ipad.  :lol:  (The phone was turned in, but she didn't want to pay the 70£ it would have cost her to have the phone mailed to her, so I picked it up when I met her to visit and travel with her.) There will be different kinds of learning experiences, some of which you won't want to hear about until she returns. My dd's experience was what showed me she was ready to take on the world!

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 3

I hope your dd has a great experience! My dd went to Germany 2 years ago for study abroad. She lost her phone in Heathrow Airport as soon as she arrived. It caused her (and us!) some concern, but she learned from the experience. Mostly, she learned she could do without the phone and just used her ipad. :lol: (The phone was turned in, but she didn't want to pay the 70£ it would have cost her to have the phone mailed to her, so I picked it up when I met her to visit and travel with her.) There will be different kinds of learning experiences, some of which you won't want to hear about until she returns. My dd's experience was what showed me she was ready to take on the world!

I do think there’s nothing like having to use your wits and problem-solve, and travel can bring a lot of opportunities for that.

• Like 3

I was a bit nervous when Ds went to Germany last winter quarter. I think it's natural and normal to be worried. I think "worry" is in the mom job description. Ds had previously traveled quite a bit, but he had never done international solo before. Once he was there and settled, it was fine. Ds definitely returned more mature and self-assured.

In my 20 years of mom experience I have figured out that my worry curve lasts about a week or so each time something significant and unchartered gets under way. After about a week, I get accustomed to ds doing the "new" thing. Going away to summer academic programs, starting in his charter high school, driving on his own, going off to college, travel abroad, starting his internship and truly living on his own off campus, etc. I always worry at first, but once it's been a week (or two) I settle in. Actually, sharing this info with him helped him to be more understanding and patient with any angst I would have before the "new" thing started. He learned how long it would take me to adapt.

I'm sure she'll have a great experience!

• Like 1

Awesome! What is she studying? And what did she pack? I would be trying to look "French"!

All her classes are related to the French language and culture, or literature. (She is an English and French major.)

Her clothing choices were pretty good; I don’t think she will much look like an American tourist. Apparently, one thing she should have packed more of was scarves, because that is one thing her Host Mom made a big deal of: everyone wears a scarf, especially when it is windy. She plans to possibly buy a few more. Also, her Host mom bought her earrings and two lipglosses. It may be that she thought she looked more casual than the locals would look. DD does not wear earrings ever since her holes failed to heal normally when she was eight. So, she normally just never wears earrings, but Madame bought her clip earrings to wear. :D

• Like 2

Y’all want to hear an amazing coincidence? DD had her first class today at université and there is a student in her class from our same town and state! From our small town, in a tiny state, to Montpellier, France! Different college. Totally astonishing!

The girl’s parents live near the train tracks seven miles from my home. Weird!

• Like 5