Menu

S/O: Ornaments

DawnM

I have been giving my kids ormaments that mean something to them.  For example, the years my boys got Eagle Scout, they got an Eagle Ornament.   This year one son got an ornament representing his character in a performance at school.  My new 4 year college kid got an ornament from his new college (mascot.)

Here's the thing I just realized......they are THEIR ornaments, but those achievements mean something to ME too.....I am planning to go get myself copies of their ornaments for my own tree.

Do you do the same thing?

Just curious.

• Like 1

No, I don't. But for many years I bought a picture frame ornament for each kid, and most of those are filled with photos of their accomplishment for that year. I kept having kids, and once I missed two years in a row I decided to save myself the stress of that tradition. LOL

But I'm also cheap. So in your situation I'd revisit the ornament frame idea and then insert a picture of the recognition or accomplishment. Done. Bonus is I could do this on the cheap by buying now and having the whole next year to get around to actually doing the project! Second bonus: if the kid doesn't take his ornaments with him, for whatever reason, I don't have double ornaments. 

We do this too! I anticipate we will turn our children's ornaments over to them when they have set up their own households, if they want them. DH's parents gave us all that were specific to him long ago. My mom has not yet turned over mine, though she may if I ask because last year she drastically downsized trees. We'll just have to see. I'm not so tied to them that I need doubles. Now the ornaments my children make every year for all our family... the ones given to me for Christmas...they can have when I die. :p

I don't think my kids will ever take their ornaments; they complain that I have too many.  All of those ornaments that I thought were so special seem to have no meaning to them.  Maybe that will change at some point.  I am actually going through ornaments right now thinking I need to clear some out.

No, we don't.

I cannot imagine either of my kids wanting to decorate their Christmas tree with ornaments that represent their childhood accomplishments. I know I wouldn't want to see mine hanging off my tree.

Well, they aren't all accomplishments, we also get ornaments of places we have visited.

Our 4 kids each get 3 new ornaments each year.  They each get an ornament that goes with the other three's ornaments (identical ornaments in different colors, themed ornaments (this year was superheroes), souvenirs that were made into ornaments (sand dollars, event tickets, novelty items), etc.  The four ornaments go together and usually reflect something that the four of them did during the year or an interest that they all share.  The second ornament is one that I pick out to represent each kid and something momentous for the year (graduate ornament when they graduate, running shoe after completing 1st season cross country, car or truck ornament when they get their license, etc).  The last ornament is one that we make together.  We have made button trees, Scrabble name tiles, beaded spiders, felt gnomes, salt dough ornaments, painted glass balls, puzzle reindeer, and more.  We have a 9' tree and it is very full.  They will each take their ornaments with them when they move out.  My oldest is getting his own place this year and will be getting married in 2019.  He and his future wife are both excited to have the ornaments on their tree someday.

• Like 1

We have many unique items on our tree that I will miss when they leave with our kids.  Green glasses from my eldest son's 16th birthday party- he hung them on the tree that year and now they are an ornament.  A thanksgiving turkey that they same son colored and hung on the tree.  He always places the ugly thing front and center of the tree.  Our daughter hung the first blue ribbon that she ever received on our tree. Toys that they kids couldn't bare to part with so they tied string on them and hung them on the tree (mainly Star Wars toys, action figures, toy cars, and happy meal toys), Our oldest two boys went to Italy last year and brought all of us a leather key chain.  We all hung them on the tree instead of using them as key chains.  There are so many memories in all those ornaments.

• Like 1

My kids each pick out an ornament every year (well, I picked it out for them when they were little). They can take them or leave them with me when they grow up. I don't know that my kids will want their baby ornament or an American Girl ornament or the Tardis on their tree, but they are theirs to decide. I figure they will probably take some and leave some. I can visit my kids at Christmas time and see them on their tree. 

I already have a mightily heavily ornamented tree, especially since my mom passed away and so I inherited all her ornaments. . .

I figure that by the time my kids have their own trees, I'll enjoy spending time visiting them  . . . and hope to not too long after start decorating all our trees with grand baby ornaments, and then after that, hope to be on the receiving end of grandkid-made ornaments, too. So, I'll pass along "their ornaments" when they want them . . . as long as that comes with a standing invite to visit them for the holidays!! 

• Like 1

I try to give my children ornaments that represent something about them that year (achievement, hobby, sport, interest). Two of my three adult children have now taken their ornaments to hang on their own trees. We've collected so many ornaments over the years that we don't have room for all of them and my boys were happy to have ornaments to hang on their empty trees. I don't want or need duplicates of the ones I bought for my children and I was happy they took them.

• Like 2

No, we don't.

I cannot imagine either of my kids wanting to decorate their Christmas tree with ornaments that represent their childhood accomplishments. I know I wouldn't want to see mine hanging off my tree.

My kids cared/care very much about the ornaments they were given over the years. I made each if them an ornament each year, and many years they each chose an ornament to buy, too. My daughter moved out three years ago and has hung her ornaments each year. She actually sent me a photo of her tree this year along with a comment about how much she enjoys sharing the stories of the various ornaments with her friends.

My son, I suspect, put off announcing his official moving out (although he spends 9 out of 10 nights at his girlfriend's place) until after Christmas so as to milk another ornament out of me.

So it definitely varies with the person.

• Like 3

My kids get a kick out of my childhood ornaments, a bunch of which my mom gave me a number of years back when she was downsizing (she also did this for my adult siblings). Ornaments tend to breed in their box, more are made or given, etc. I would give them to my kids once they are out on their own with homes they put trees up in, and drop hints that if grandkids make some replacements (once there are some) that would be great.

Some of you are saying you will give your kids some of yours.  My kids already have some I have given them specifically. They are not mine to give them later.

I was just saying I would like to have some like theirs.  

Maybe we just do things differently.

• Like 2

Some of you are saying you will give your kids some of yours.  My kids already have some I have given them specifically. They are not mine to give them later.

I was just saying I would like to have some like theirs.  

Maybe we just do things differently.

I'm kind of sentimental about things like that too. I actually got teary thinking about all their "baby's 1st Christmas" ornaments this year, wondering if they'd want to take them someday. Two of my kids were adopted and neither of them were with us for their first Christmas. I had to seek out their '1st Christmas' ornaments from Ebay to get the right year. *I* am sentimental about those. They meant something to me getting them for them - and they mean something to the kids. I think I will order a 2nd set just in case. If you want another set - get them. Life is too short to be sad at Christmas!

• Like 3

no.

now that they have their own homes, I've given dds some of the ornaments that have special meaning to them.  I kept baby's first christmas.  I also kept their undergrad college ornaments.  I gave them their other special-to-them ornaments.  (incl. 2dd's "pharmacist" ornament.)

I still give them "special to them" ornaments.  e.g. each have received their own "first chirstmas in new house".

2dd has a bunch of delft ornaments from dsil's grandmother (she was dutch).

kids have their own ideas about their tree, and how they want to decorate it.   1dd went and bought exactly what she wanted the first time she put up a tree.

I did give 2dd her stocking..  I also bought a similar stocking for dsil (they were formally engaged on christmas eve - we all knew it was coming.).  - they have them.  they live in texas.  1dd left her's here because she still comes here on christmas morning to open gifts. 

• Like 1

No, we don't.

Sort of reminds me of that scene in Meet the Fockers where Dad Focker has created a Shrine to Gaylord, with all his mediocre accomplishments since childhood. That movie cracks me up!

Eta: spelling

Edited by Quill
  • Like 1

My kids have a large amount of meningful ornaments from over the many years, but I don’t have a great deal of attachment to them. (i mean, I wouldn’t want them to go in the trash, but it isn’t important to me whether they want them for their own trees or they keep them at our house for our tree.) I believe DD will take her stocking one day because it is quite special; I took my own stocking with me when I got married because it was special and I still use that one.

• Like 1

I double up on some of them.  I have a box of each of my kid's ornaments, but if they don't want to take them eventually that is fine.   I actually think there is a good chance they will.  They both are attached to their ornament boxes and are defensive of their ornaments getting back to the right boxes.  Very few of them really scream THIS WAS A CHILDHOOD ORNAMENT.  Many are ornaments I crafted or my grandmother crafted (she died).  Like the year my son was WAY into Rudolph, I got him a blown Rudolph ornament.  He was just in a theater production of Beauty and the Beast - I got him an ornament of that.  My kids have picked some beautiful ornaments out at craft sales.  My daughter has porcelain pointe shoe ornaments, a blown nesting doll ornament from the year that was one of her favorite things, etc.   Almost all of them have back story.    We have an eclectic tree and I like it that way.  It's eclectic but it's not super junky either. 

ETA - both DH and I both have ornaments from our childhood that we hang.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

My older kids are out on their won and two or three years ago, I finally them their collections of ornaments I've been gathering over the years.   They were so excited. They said it was like getting a Christmas present in July.   So, I guess there are a fair number of kids who would love the ornaments chosen for them throughout their childhood.

I also have duplicate ornaments for some achievements-  Wizard of Oz ones from the year dd played Dorothy, etc.    Some I don't - daughter has the Tazmanian Devil because her nickname is Taz.

• Like 2

I have bought the kids 2 to 3 ornaments each, almost every year.

1 nice ornament (Lennox, Swarovski, Wallace etc). They are all clear/white/silver.  They will be able to take these when they are permanently settled/married. If they do not want them, these can absolutely stay on the family tree. They make a beautiful tree

1-2 fun ornaments.  One to take with them when they first move out, and one for the family tree (not duplicates).   DD19 has lots of polar bears/penguins, ds23's were often teddy bear themed. 

The kids are 23, 19, and 11.  

Ds has over 60

DD19 has almost 60

DD11 has over 30.

That is 150 ornaments for one tree.  They don't even put them all on the tree each year anymore. LOL I will hold onto them until they are about 30yo and if they don't want them after that, I will likely offer them to to the other kids.  I have a couple hand made ornaments, but usually the kid who made it runs across them in the pile and throws them away.  We likely have 300 plus ornaments and there are less than a dozen little kid craft items in the box. 

We have a few dozen fill in ornaments (small red/silver balls for consistency and color).

We have two trees, One with all of these on it and one in the back that is all my own hand picked ornaments. I planned it this way so when the kids take their ornaments off the family tree, I still have a full tree's worth of ornaments for our home.