Menu

Ideas for solitary hobbies- 12 year old boy

Peaceseeker

I'd just like to clarify a few things before trying to give advice. Children do vary, and there is no one solution for all of them!

You say he's introverted, but you also say he's unwilling to do things alone and that he bugs the rest of you if he's asked to entertain himself. These two traits do not seem to mesh well. Is it possible you're not correctly understanding his need for social interaction?

Does he literally stare at the wall, or are you being hyperbolic?

When you say he drives you all crazy, what exactly do you mean?

Exactly how much screen time does he have every day, and what does he do with it?

• Like 1

My introverted boys have recently discovered painting miniatures.  They enjoy painting both plastic and metal miniatures.  The supplies do not take up much space and they can spend as little or as much time as they want painting.  A miniature does not have to be completed in one sitting.  Sometimes they sit together to paint, and sometimes they paint alone.  They enjoy painting people, animals, game figures, buildings, terrain, and more.  The miniatures can be purchased individually or in packs from Amazon, Miniature Market, Ebay, and more, as well as hobby and model shops.  My boys do not set the figures up or create scenes unless they are playing a role playing game.  This has allowed them to express they creativity in a quiet and introverted way.  The Army Painter website is where I found information before purchasing the supplies for them.  I only wish that I would have thought of this hobby sooner for them.

• Like 2

I agree with a lot of the above.  My boys were in scouting, and would work on their scouting requirements, but they also loved to paint/draw/create with clay, do some robotics, legos, etc.....

I was going to suggest you have him learn to code and program since he seems to like computers, but that may be too much screen time.

• Like 1

I ditto modeling and painting figurines. Ds eventually found and joined a chapter of the international plastic modellers society, entered a competition last fall and won a 1st place ribbon in one category. He's had Fine Scale Modelling magazine subscription for years. 

I'd also think about board games and the board game clubs. There's the card / collection games (like Magik) or traditional board games. Or the ones that blend plastic models and board gaming like Warhammer. 

• Like 1

How about bumping his reading material up to adult action books like Clive Cussler or Tom Clancy? That might get him interested in reading again.

Definitely adult board games, maybe a gaming club either board games or DND, etc.

Wood carving?

Devil sticks? Juggling? LED Poi?

LEGO mindstorms?

Stop action animation

• Like 1

I missed your original post, so I don't know why the activities need to be solitary, but I'll throw out some ideas that I've seen having a huge impact on the lives of boys that age.  

Does he play an instrument?  Would he like to start?  My son hated piano, but he switched to guitar at 11, then electric guitar at 12.  It totally opened up his world.  The same thing happened with my brother at that age.  His guitar created an avenue into friendships and careers for both of them.

Another boy I knew was having a terrible time at that age, but joined a robotics team.  Over the 5-6 years he's been on the team, we've seen him change from a struggling, dyslexic, shy, insecure kid into a confident, intelligent leader, polished in public speaking, proficient with 3D engineering design software, adept at leading the team, planning on engineering school.  Other kids on the team have had similar experiences.

My 13yo son is really enjoying planting and growing his own vegetable garden. I find it good because it is an outdoor activity and also requires consistency and responsibility so it doesn't shrivel up and die (it is summer here). It also gives him a sense of achievement. He got his first corn cobs for the season the other day and was so excited.

Edited by LindaOz
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...