Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search
bctnln1059

How to arrange department visit at college?

If dd wants to talk to someone in the biology department at the colleges she will be visiting, is it appropriate for her to contact the department directly, or is it expected that she would ask an admissions person to set up the appointment for her?

Admissions at our school can set up department visits for students who are visiting campus anyway, but the prospective student also can email the department directly.

I'd ask admissions how that particular college is handling things.

We often get emails from admissions, telling us a student is coming and would like to visit the department, the time slot would be such and such, and whether anybody would be available to meet.

Edited by regentrude

The benefit to going through Admissions is that they can coordinate your appointment with all the other activities they are setting up for you.

I'd go to the department website, and find the email addresses of a few professors who sound interesting. Then shoot them emails to see if they are willing to meet. You could probably coordinate to meet during their office hours. I've met with prospective students and parents in office hours.