Menu

It’s just TOO cold!

KungFuPanda

I already can’t take it and winter is just starting. I hate how cold it’s been for days. Freezing temps are my nemesis. I should drag out my happy light, but I just want to sit under my couch blanket and sleep til spring. I KNOW it’s worse in Canada. I’m in the mid-Atlantic, so nothing below zero, but it’s miserable when it stings your face to leave the house.

I haven’t even left the house, so I should feel warm and functional, but I’m a sloth. I’m holding out hope for a freakishly warm day soon. I need to hit the grocery store, but I’d have to leave the house. Waaaaaahhhh.

ETA: It looks like our high for this week will be 33 and our low will be 2. This is a wee bit extreme for Maryland especially this early in the winter. I don’t think it ever got this cold last winter.

Also ETA: The wind is just cruel Also, the way we get DS into his accessible van requires us to leave a door open until he’s hooked in, so we can’t really warm the vehicle and dash out. We’ve got the pit crew thing down, but there’s no way to keep the van warm during this process.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 6

It’s so cold I haven’t been able to get the dog to walk more than a block with me for the last week and a half. He just lays around looking sadly at the door, wondering why I can’t make it warmer. I’m a fairly harder Midwesterner, but it’s been a while since we’ve had such a long stretch of single digit temperatures. Twenties and sunny would be wonderful right now.

I haven't left the house since Christmas due to the cold and snow.  I have a mammogram appt. tomorrow so I will have to go out.  I usually run every day, but the roads are too icy and it's been so cold - I haven't run now in ten days with no hope to run anytime soon because of the forecast.  I'm going a bit nuts.

• Like 1

It's been so cold here that it made my eyeballs hurt. They did finally lift our extreme weather warning this afternoon :) It's up to -4F......

It's not like it's anything new, these extreme temperatures happen every year. It's just that you forget how cold -40 feels. Maybe we block it out, kind of like child birth  :lol:

• Like 3

Last night the temperature was -17 below, with a WC of -34 below. I could hardly get my blind diabetic dog down her snow covered ramp. It could be a long winter here (Midwest). I feel your pain.

Edited by JBJones
  • Like 1

Eeks! :ack2: It's a balmy 26F here in north Alabama, and is expected to be 12F overnight with a brisk wind. I'm geared out for an Antarctic expedition, so it's not bad at all. Our Great Pyrenees is in fluffy dog heaven and wants to walk about a hundred times a day. :rolleyes:

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 3

I hear ya. Sunday morning when I went to let my chickens out of the coop, one chicken came scurring out from under the coop. She never made it into the coop Saturday night! I seriously do not know how she’s not a chicken popsicle.

• Like 6

We are in negative territory here.  As much as I hate it, I can't really complain because the previous two winters were so warm.  We didn't get any snow last winter at all.  This year we already have a few inches on the ground.  The kids are hoping we can go sledding soon.  Has to warm up a bit first though.

It’s cold for us in Tx. We technically had snow last night ( it disn’t stick except for lightly on the cars) but it was a record. 2 snows in one year. The horses were eager beavers to come in last night and practically ran me down to get their halters on and come in. Fortunately it looks like our days will be back to the 40s and 50s by the end of the week.

Stefanie

• Like 1

Southern girl here, in Atlanta, and I love this.  I've had enough hot, humid weather to last me a lifetime, and I am over the moon about this long cold snap.  I went for a six-mile run this morning; it was 13 degrees (absolute) when I left and probably 20 by the time I finished.  I was cold the whole time, but it was invigorating.  I'm going again tomorrow--the forecast is for 16!

• Like 1

Yep. This.

I thought church should have been cancelled due to the cold yesterday, but I'm always looking for an excuse to hear Pastor Sheets of The Church of the Inner Spring. ;)

We have a wood stove that we love and has been good to us, especially the past week, but even w/ our using it, I have had my bedroom window open a wee bit every night, except the past few!

I was so glad to be able to stay at home and inside all day today. My fleece pajamas, Kohl's big plush blankets, warm drinks, and the lovely wood stove have made the day good. 

I am so grateful that we have shelter and adequate heating. 

Edited by Angie in VA
  • Like 2

It's warmed up here to -9F with -25F wind chill. This morning, it was -20 with -37 wind chill.

I've been out in it for hours each day and night doing horse chores and it's honestly not bad as long as you keep moving. It's when you''re standing still that the cold gets downright painful. 

We have to clean the packed snow out of all our horses' feet every day. It takes about half an hour and nobody wants to do that job, because you're not moving around very much and that's when your fingers and toes start to freeze.

My children have swim class tomorrow. I am bringing hats and thanking God for giving me boys. It is too cold for swimming but the pool is inside and they need it. So we are going. I wouldn't be surprised if we are the only ones there though. 

I don't mind the cold as long as I can stay home. I don't plan to go out again till Saturday after the swim class so I am good. 

• Like 2

Negative wind chills here too.  DS had a hockey tournament this weekend so it was wake up in a cold house, go out in the cold, get in a cold car, get out into the cold, go into a cold hockey rink, sit in the cold, sit some more in the cold, go to the bathroom and warm up for five seconds with the hand dryer, go back into the cold rink...

Due to a family situation, I'm going to have double the amount kids in this house tomorrow and it's going to be too cold to send them outside.  And we can't go anywhere. Oy.

I can only imagine that if we’re having endless days of extreme cold warnings - which means -38C - -44C here - and it’s miserable, and we are prepared, so to speak, it must be absolutely terrible to be awfully cold and not have everything already made to get through it. Sure, we’re spending extra $$ keeping the heat up to make sure pipes in the extremities of the house don’t get too cold, but at least we *can* warm up, and keep it warm!

My children have swim class tomorrow. I am bringing hats and thanking God for giving me boys. It is too cold for swimming but the pool is inside and they need it. So we are going. I wouldn't be surprised if we are the only ones there though.

I don't mind the cold as long as I can stay home. I don't plan to go out again till Saturday after the swim class so I am good.

My kids are stir crazy! We may go to the pool too. Or roller skating.

I get it. I live in Alaska now and it gets so much colder here than it ever did in Pennsylvania but the cold on the east coast is brutal compared to the weather here.  I suspect it has to do with humidity in the east. 

But, oh my, those Pa winters were horrible.

I get it. I live in Alaska now and it gets so much colder here than it ever did in Pennsylvania but the cold on the east coast is brutal compared to the weather here. I suspect it has to do with humidity in the east.

But, oh my, those Pa winters were horrible.

Wait. I’m freezing my but off but thinking “at least I don’t live in Alaska where negative temperatures are normal.†and you’re telling me at a wet cold is worse?? Come ON!!!!

Last night the temperature was -17 below, with a WC of -34 below. I could hardly get my blind diabetic dog down her snow covered ramp. It could be a long winter here (Midwest). I feel your pain.

Yep. Crazy cold here. All of our “farm†cats are in my laundry room. We have ice on the INSIDE of the windows. We had two friends’ furnaces stop working this weekend. I like cold well enough but I’ll be glad when this snap is over. Couldn’t believe all the vehicles started this morning.

All I can say is I have been praying for our furnace lol. She’s 22-23 years old and working beautifully. I can’t believe it can keep up with this cold. Life is good if the house is warm!!!

And we lost a pipe..........bathroom flooded. My fault too. I forgot to undo the hose to the horse barn last night.

Stefanie

Okay, it wasn’t my fault. There was zero insulation in the wall around the pipe.

Sucks. Makes me worried about the rest of the pipes.

Stefanie

If we had a snap here like y'all are having, we'd be having Harvey Flooding Round 2, the interior version. None of the houses here are built to deal with much below freezing. Pipes everywhere would go. Dh went and wrapped what he could outside. I hope they're right and it doesn't go much below mid-20's. My kids are stoked to get to break up the ice on the water troughs tomorrow. I told them I"ll be watching from inside the warm house. 

On a positive note, it's been very amusing watching people attempt to protect their plants with sheets and other contraptions. I'm just admitting that ours are all dead and I'll get new landscaping this spring. The snow really did a number on these tender little southern TX plants! 

We had leaking to the inside from Harvey too.  I did wrap the pipes, but it doesn't do much if inside the wall it is freezing because of no insulation.  This same wall had a huge gap in it when we moved in.  We had to fill it because the wasps were making nests.  We think half the problem is poor construction.  This house is a very bad DIY build.  We already kick around the idea of demolishing this house and rebuilding with our "dream house".  At the very least, we need a 100k Property Brother's style remodel to reframe everything above the slab.  Unfortunately the floors are extremely wavy from poor foundation work.  Days will get back to the 40s after tomorrow, nights will take a little longer.

Stefanie

It's so cold the cars have to be started every day, the water dripped in the back bathroom , the budget revised for increased oil bill, doors kept almost closed to each room to keep the heat in, the cats sleep most of the time but the days are getting longer! I keep saying that I'm old enough to move to Florida.

• Like 1

So why do you guys live like that? Said from my warm home in south Florida while I am eating ice cream.

It’s the price you pay for real seasons, colorful autumns and all that. Nothing is as glorious as those first warm spring days after a cold winter. When I’m just thawing out and energized about spending more time outside than in, my sister in Florida is already complaining about the heat.

I also live with people who don’t handle heat gracefully. They’re not nearly as upset as me about the cold. Dh was still enjoying the patio and his motorcycle until it got into the 30s. Dh has to go to Chicago this week and he’s not even acting like it’s the end of the world. I think I’d cry and refuse to go!

I just wanna be a snowbird when I grow up.

• Like 7

So why do you guys live like that? Said from my warm home in south Florida while I am eating ice cream.

We ate ice cream today, too.

With nary a venomous anything within several hundred + miles of us.

Plus heat = hell. And that’s exactly what it feels like. I hate summer, and really hate year-round summer.

• Like 6

And we lost a pipe..........bathroom flooded. My fault too. I forgot to undo the hose to the horse barn last night.

Stefanie

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  So sorry that the beginning of the year began like this.

Otherwise I cannot participate in this thread without coming off as gloating...

It is very cold here too.  single digits.  Pipes in kitchen froze yesterday but fortunately didn't burst.  We put a space heater in the cape cod basement so it won't happen again.  We have also been taking turns getting up to load the wood stove in the middle of the night so it stays warm.

Dog is at training boot camp so we haven't had deal with inside stircrazyness. For which I am entirely grateful.

Poor dh was out outside rotating our daughter's tires yesterday in this cold to find out where a "noise" was coming from.  It is a wheel bearing and we are dropping off the car at the shop today.

I have a ton of errands to run today and am thankful for my automatic car starter and heated seats.

'Cuz Florida is too [email protected] hot! 

Seriously, I would never leave my heavily air conditioned house.

Yup!

My family has been living in Atlanta for about 17 years, and I can't stand the heat when we visit!  What's extra weird is that, almost any time I visit in the winter, they get ice and/or snow.  In 17 years, I've never experienced comfortable temperatures in the south, lol.

• Like 3

It's been in the 40s-60s with no snow up here at 8500 feet in Colorado.  I don't get it.  I'm not complaining exactly because I am not a good snow driver and I like that the kids can ride their bikes around and do Nature Explorations in the backyard all day in the middle of winter, but I did think it would be colder and snowier.

Negative 20 degrees here this morning. I think it got down to negative 24 overnight. We do get these temperatures in western Maine, but not usually for such a prolonged period. We already did the throw the boiling water into the air and watch it instantly change to snow and ice crystals and we watched a friend do the blow soap bubbles and watch them freeze thing so we are really, really done with winter.

There is a lot of substandard housing in Maine. We have the oldest housing stock in the nation. Many friends have reported frozen pipes. Our population skews elderly and poor, I hate to think of them being cold and/or the heating bills may be too much for some of them. I know that our last fill up was almost $1,000 and it was a month earlier than scheduled because of this cold snap.

• Like 2

If I was given a guarantee of no flying tree roaches (or Palmetto Bugs as some people so quaintly call them), I might sign up for dealing with snow. 

But y'all do seem to have all of the Lyme ticks and what not too, right? That's sort of a downer.  And mosquitos. It really seems unfair to have to deal with snow and ice and then still have mosquitos in the summer. That's a positive for us right now. No mosquitos in January this year! 

Very few mosquitoes here. :)  Those giant, striped ones you have down there in Texas that will strip a man alive in 2 minutes flat?  Non-existent.

We do have ticks, but that's easily remedied.  And there are snakes, cute little non-venomous ones native to the area.  Even the spiders are little things, easily deterred by peppermint oil.  Since moving here I have not had wolf spiders climbing my fireplace, scorpions in the bathroom at 3am, or tarantulas waving hello as they migrate across the neighborhood.  It's wonderful! :D  I can even go walk in my backyard without getting inch long mesquite bush spikes stuck in my shoes.

On the downside, you have no idea what I would give for an HEB.  Trying to find ancho chiles is like looking for El Dorado.  The "ethnic" food aisle is about 3 shelves next to the kosher food.   I don't know the last time I had a fresh tortilla.  And they have a weird obsession with putting things in pico that shouldn't be there, and then calling it salsa.  I am going to miss hatch chiles immensely this year.

Whoever said to be sure to start cars in this cold weather was right! We haven’t used dh’s car since last Thursday and it wouldn’t start when he left for work. Luckily, I don’t need to go anywhere today, so he was able to take my car.

Edited by school17777

Luckily we are in a scorpion free zone. That might be the straw. Although the lack of venomous things in general also seems really nice. 

Want me to send you an HEB care package during hatch chile month? :)  I'll do it! 

HEB rocks-except for the crowds!  The HEB one town over even delivers now! I keep hoping ours will soon. But as it stands I drive to one 20 minutes away simply because they have the curbside service. Our local one still hasn't gotten with the program. I think because we're small town. 

:lol: :lol:  I can just see myself now, hoarding it all and sitting in the bottom of my pantry to eat.  I'd share our wonderful area with you - Thornton Burgess and pilgrims.  :D

Actually, that would sort of be a sweet idea, to do a 'local share', where we could sign up to send a care package to someone else on the board in a secret santa sort of way.  I am in no way organized enough to head such a thing, but it does sound fun, doesn't it?