Menu

My boss made it official. I won't be getting any more hours.

dirty ethel rackham

I don't know how much I have shared about my part-time job here.  Back in August, I started working at a local tea shop.  It was part of my "start rebuilding my life after losing all of my friends when K got sick" plan and "preparing for dd leaving for college" plan.  I've really enjoyed it and am pretty good at it.  I took the job because I shop there frequently and because she was willing to work around my schedule with dd (a little bit of homeschooling left, but I also do a bit of driving with her for her sport.)  And it wasn't like much of retail ...  long, unpredictable hours, late notice of the schedule, etc.  

It is a small shop and we had sales metrics we had to meet.  I was doing fine in all of those, but had to work at putting on the extrovert suit to approach customers that had that "unapproachable" look because that was expected of me.  Back in early November, I could tell that my boss was cooling towards me.  She started scheduling me for fewer hours.  I made some mistakes, but even though I was the newest employee, I was doing better than many of the young college student employees.  I don't really know what changed.  I got sick the week of Thanksgiving with acute bronchitis (they tested me for pertussis.)  She completely took me off the schedule for the entire month of December (the busiest month) except for Christmas and New Years' Eve, despite me giving her the doctors note telling her when I was available to go back to work.  I tried going in to talk to her and she avoided giving straight answers, but mumbled something about my availability not matching up with her needs, despite me offering to switch availability. I was not scheduled on any day that she was working.  

Well, I got the email today that she won't be scheduling me for anymore hours and good luck with future endeavors, blah blah blah.  I had an inkling it was coming.  The assistant manager that I have been working with let a couple of things slip that she knew I wouldn't be working there.  Yes, I did know it was coming.  But I am devastated.  There are so many things I want to email back.  I want to ask her what the hell I did wrong that she didn't like me anymore.  I want to call her on the carpet for not being straight with me about hours.  I want to yell at her that I needed this job ... maybe not as much for the money as some of them (it does help pay tuition,) but mostly because I needed to have a place to go to where I could think about something other than the losses and emptiness of my life.   I basically want to tell her to shove it.  I didn't even have a chance to tell my coworkers goodbye ... I'm afraid that she will tell them that I quit or something.  I just don't even want to go into that store anymore.  It just reeks of failure ... at a retail job that I was good at. 

But I won't.  I will try to decide if I want to be "available on an as-needed" basis or if I will just do the "thank you for the opportunity" email.  

And I'm mad that I forgot to make that last purchase with my employee discount.  

Did anyone have it out for you?  I have a friend who had a part time job, and another woman had it out for her and flat out lied to the boss saying my friend did things she didn't.  The boss said, "Well, it's she said-she said.  I don't know which of you is telling the truth."  My friend had to leave that job because the woman turned the boss and everyone else against her.  It seemed to be a jealousy thing.

It's hard to tell if you asked for an honest answer of why she cooled toward you whether she'd tell you or not.  She'll either tell you, or she'll lie and just say a bland thing like, "It just wasn't working out..."  

I can't imagine how frustrating this is to you.  I would be steaming and feel gutted.  I'm so sorry.

• Like 2

I'm sorry, Ellen.  I know it hurts.

I would not contact a lawyer or anything like that.  Instead, if you can manage it, a brief face-to-face with her might be good, especially so you can try to find out what happened, and to ask her if she thinks she'd be able to give you a good reference in the future.  Go ahead and tell her you enjoyed working there and, if you can, wish her well.

:grouphug:  

I hope you're able to find another suitable position soon.

• Like 14

I would get legal advice from a labour relations lawyer and put pressure on her to either officially let you go (and then seek all the compensation you a legally owed), or increase your hours. You have a lot more work-place rights than she is providing you.

Gosh, where do you live and what sort of businesses do you work in? In the businesses I've worked in and states I've lived in (and managed HR/staff in), I don't think this would be helpful or productive. At all.  

That said, I'm very sorry about this situation. How discouraging and upsetting. That really, really stinks. Sounds like the employer just has a stick up her butt for some reason -- and like she's not a very good manager. My guess would be that you did nothing wrong. Might be a political or other difference of opinion that she became aware of and was really peeved about, or a total misunderstanding, or just something random that has nothing to do with you. Re-entering the workforce after taking time off for family needs is hard enough. This would be a punch in the gut to me. 

I hope you find a GREAT, SUPER AWESOME EVEN BETTER job in place of this one quickly. 

I think either of your approaches sounds good. It's always a good idea (for you) to leave things on as positive a note as possible. 

(((hugs)))

• Like 13

1.  Give this a day to percolate.

2.  Write her a letter where you tell her exactly how you feel and what you think of her.

3.  Burn the letter.

4.  Start over.  Try hard not to burn a bridge.  You don't really know what happened behind the scenes.  I would be trying to find out what happened, if possible.  Write a letter in which you thank her for giving you the opportunity to work at a place you have enjoyed as a customer and as an employee.  Then ask to schedule a meeting.  Keep it as neutral and professional as possible.  Offer a couple of dates/times that you are available that you suspect she would be too and how to contact you to confirm the time of the meeting.

5.  If she does not respond then either pursue this further through other avenues, show up and pleasantly request a quick meeting or drop it, send in a letter of resignation and walk away.

6.  If she does respond, try hard to stay as neutral and pleasant and professional as possible.  Point blank ask her, clearly and politely worded (maybe write down a few ways you might approach the topic), why the change, explain that the only way you can improve as an employee is to get feedback from her, and be honest that you really liked working there.  If she doesn't seem willing to share THEN consider how you want to proceed.  Right now, though, I would be trying to dig into this further.  

• Like 16

Hugs.  I'm sorry.  That sucks.  

I think I would like to tell her that I would appreciate knowing what the biggest problem was, in order to avoid the same problem at the next job.  I would also like to know what she will say to anyone who calls about your work history there.  

• Like 9

I'm sorry, Ellen. I know it hurts.

I would not contact a lawyer or anything like that. Instead, if you can manage it, a brief face-to-face with her might be good, especially so you can try to find out what happened, and to ask her if she thinks she'd be able to give you a good reference in the future. Go ahead and tell her you enjoyed working there and, if you can, wish her well.

I hope you're able to find another suitable position soon.

Yes, it may be hard, but get up, dress up, and go in and face her. Put on your extrovert suit and be ready to give her a genuine, not-upset face and let her know that you cannot afford to keep your schedule open to availability on an as-needed basis, that you will be pursuing other employment opportunities and you sincerely would like to know what you can do to improve future job performance.

I believe she was unkind, but that this situation will not result in your favor if pursued in a legal way, and you need to think about the reaction she may have if called as a reference. You should figure out how to leave on a kill-her-with-kindness note, kwim?

I'm sorry, Ellen. Getting back "out there" after years at home with kids, or after a few years of intense family demands that curtail normalish life activities, can be a challenging process. Wading similar waters here. I'm hopeful for you, that a better opportunity waits right around the corner for you. Many hugs.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 6

Gosh, where do you live and what sort of businesses do you work in? In the businesses I've worked in and states I've lived in (and managed HR/staff in), I don't think this would be helpful or productive. At all.

That said, I'm very sorry about this situation. How discouraging and upsetting. That really, really stinks. Sounds like the employer just has a stick up her butt for some reason -- and like she's not a very good manager. My guess would be that you did nothing wrong. Might be a political or other difference of opinion that she became aware of and was really peeved about, or a total misunderstanding, or just something random that has nothing to do with you. Re-entering the workforce after taking time off for family needs is hard enough. This would be a punch in the gut to me.

I hope you find a GREAT, SUPER AWESOME EVEN BETTER job in place of this one quickly.

I think either of your approaches sounds good. It's always a good idea (for you) to leave things on as positive a note as possible.

(((hugs)))

I am constantly amazed at how poorly people can be treated in the US. Even with the dilution of rights introduced by 90 day trials she would have some rights simply because August to December is more than that. Not saying they couldn't have forced her out unfortunately just they would have had to be more sneaky or jumped through all the hoops. And the sneaky option can backfire on the employer if you are tough enough. Edited by kiwik
  • Like 2

I'm sorry that happened, but I don't think it's that uncommon when dealing with retail positions.  People are petty; bosses are capricious; co-workers lie.  I would try really hard not to care and move on.   Writing your former boss a letter or going to see her is not going to help.  Finding a better job that you like better?  That's going to help.

• Like 1

She sound immature, petty, and in over her head.

I'm so sorry that you had to work for someone who sullied your relationship with an establishment that you truly liked, and who was unworthy of you.  

My strong impression is that it's not you, it's her.  FWIW.  

Shake the dust off your feet and move on.  Don't let her get you down--she is not worth it.

• Like 1

I would get legal advice from a labour relations lawyer and put pressure on her to either officially let you go (and then seek all the compensation you a legally owed), or increase your hours. You have a lot more work-place rights than she is providing you.

What compensation do you think she would be owed? It stinks, but she can’t expect payment for hours that she wasn’t assigned to work.

She did not have the courtesy to terminate you in person, so the email you received is your termination notice. Print that out immediately. Forward it to your Secondary email account. If you file for unemployment compensation, she terminated you. You did not quit. You wanted to continue working there.

Also, best to be as polite and courteous as is possible, in case you give her for a reference...

Good luck on finding a much better position!  The job market is far better than it has been in years, but I think it will be about the 15th of the month before things settle down after the holidays and people actually begin hiring.

• Like 11

I agree that you should go see her in person if you can manage it. Not because it will change things, but because she doesn't deserve to get away with letting you know via email. Rude and unprofessional! She is an extremely poor manager and boss if she can't talk to people in person and give them straight answers. 

Kudos to you for pursuing it in the first place! Now you have recent experience, and "they didn't have enough hours for me" is a perfectly reasonable explanation for not staying there. Don't let her foolishness discourage you. 

• Like 10

That really stinks! As a fellow sensitive person, I can imagine how devastated I would feel. I don't think the chances of finding out what really happened are very good, because it seems like she is avoiding conflict, and as such, won't be upfront with you. I do think it is worth making one attempt to communicate because while I would desperately want to know the whole story, there are two things that could actually impact your future job prospects. 1. Would she be able to give you a good reference, and 2. Is there anything she might suggest that could improve your functioning at another job.

Those two things are completely reasonable to ask, and if communicated unemotionally, would be no threat to anyone. If she cannot provide satisfactory answers, you can be sure the problem lies with her, not you.

I wish you the best and am sending copious amounts of energy and confidence your way!

• Like 7

I am so sorry to hear that this has happened.  It sounds is if it is likely that this has nothing to do with you.  Perhaps they are having financial trouble and are cutting back on employees.  Perhaps a friend of hers came to help out over the holidays and decided she would like to work throughout the year.  Not that those reason don't make it less painful for you.  Although you are reasonably angry, I would try to remain as calm and diplomatic as possible to increase the possibility of receiving a good recommendation from her.  

• Like 1

I do think it is worth making one attempt to communicate because while I would desperately want to know the whole story, there are two things that could actually impact your future job prospects. 

And I think it's worth making one attempt to communicate (in person) simply to make the wretched boss uncomfortable. So, lots of reasons!  :laugh:

• Like 7

The requirements one must meet to file for unemployment vary from state to state.  Also, the impact that a claim filed will have on the employer will vary from state to state.  Some states will charge higher premiums to company's with a record of laying people off, other states do not.

• Like 2

Maybe you could ask for a letter of reference. She might be willing especially since it shouldn't harm her business. That way if she says anything negative later, you have the letter as rebuttal. She might even sign a letter you write if it's a more or less a standard reference letter.