Menu

Walking on a college campus - shoe recommendations

northcoast

DS has just completed his first semester at a Big Ten Campus.  He has gone through 2 pair of running type shoes (Brooks & New Balance) doing lots of walking & the random activities with being part of a Christian Frat.  So I am now looking at something that will last longer than 3 months in regards to tread wear & holes.  Thinking leather instead of mesh.  Any recommendations for something that will last but not be too expensive if they get trashed?

I would try shoes designed for walking rather than running.  Some would depend upon whether the campus is hilly or flat and what type of terrain he is generally walking across.  I find that if my kids have 2 good pair of shoes to alternate they last longer than purchasing one pair, wearing them out, and purchasing another pair.  

Does the shoes he has fit his feet well?  Are they equally worn or is part of the shoe noticeably worn relative to another part?  If he participates in sports activities like jogging or beach volleyball, does he wear different shoes than his normal walking shoes?

• Like 1

Is he getting the really good Brooks and NB or the ones that are sold at Shoe Carnival and places like that? There's a huge difference in quality. I personally love the way Brooks shoes feel but don't find them (and I'm referring to the really good quality ones) to be particularly durable. The soles are fine but the uppers seem to develop holes in the mesh quickly. The high end NB hold up very well.

ETA: That said, depending on how much actual mileage he's putting on them they may be holding up quite well. That's really what you need to consider--number of miles of walking/running the shoes have done rather than months of wear. DS22's running shoes have to be replaced every couple of months.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

I second looking at hiking or trail running shoes, especially ones that have leather or thick rubber on the areas where your DS normally wears them out. DS's running shoes seem to wear out along the outside edge; he usually gets a hole in the fabric by his pinky toe even before the tread wears out. And those are good quality Brooks that retail for $100-130, although I only buy them when they're on sale. But they still only last ~ 6 months, if that, and he doesn't even walk that much. His Keen hiking shoes have lasted much longer, so although they were more expensive upfront, they've been better value in the long run.

Also, assuming that your DS is in a state that gets a lot of rain and snow, hiking shoes that are warm and waterproof but breathable, with good tread for wet or slushy sidewalks, are a good idea anyway.

I second looking at hiking or trail running shoes, especially ones that have leather or thick rubber on the areas where your DS normally wears them out. DS's running shoes seem to wear out along the outside edge; he usually gets a hole in the fabric by his pinky toe even before the tread wears out. And those are good quality Brooks that retail for $100-130, although I only buy them when they're on sale. But they still only last ~ 6 months, if that, and he doesn't even walk that much. His Keen hiking shoes have lasted much longer, so although they were more expensive upfront, they've been better value in the long run.

Also, assuming that your DS is in a state that gets a lot of rain and snow, hiking shoes that are warm and waterproof but breathable, with good tread for wet or slushy sidewalks, are a good idea anyway.

You have hit the nail on the head.  Holes in fabric.  Will look into Keen's.  Running shoes seem to hold up for his running but not the 2nd pair for everything else he does in life.   It does seem he wears things out on the outside edge on both New Balance 560, & Brooks Ghost.   I may also have to convince him to have more than a couple pair of shoes.   :)