Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

Wimbledon? :) Then you look at it, realize that you are not in a good enough shape for it, and start working out to get in that shape. :lol: You may never get there, but you will be in the best shape of your life. That's what I do, anyway. 

At some point I realized that while I love fencing and not excited about general exercise, weightlifting, etc, I need extra strength and endurance to improve my fencing performance. In a few competitions I went to I could feel how my my attention disappears as I get tired. I tried to do exercises at home, but I really wasn't excited about it. Now that I read about bodyweight training, I decided I want to be able to do pull ups, muscle ups, and some other tricks, so I started training to be able to do that.

With fencing my goals are pretty move-specific at the moment. I do want to make the team for the World Veteran Championship, but the earliest I can qualify is the season of 2024-2025, so long time from now. I am not at the point where I can say I want to win this or that event either. So I pick something like learn to do a fleche in bouts. I can do it during a lesson, but during bouts it goes out of my head, so I keep working on that.

That is awesome. It's great to have the accountability of regular coaching and competitions to help support your progress in fencing. It sure helps with the self-discipline of training specific, non-fun aspects of the sport.  

I had all that with my Taekwon-do, as well as the specific goals of black belt tests. I did it for 13 years. Now I'm taking it easy. I don't have the money or the interest to do that in tennis. I'm there to have fun, play matches (both fun and competitive), and stay in shape. Also, I get to spend some really fun time with my dh! 

Also, I'm passed the point of "being in the best shape of my life," but I enjoy being in good shape for a 50 year old lady. ;)

• Like 5

We have about a foot of beautiful powdery snow, but nothing we can do in it.  :crying:  When I took a recognisance walk this morning, I was worried because mine were the first footsteps in about 8 inches of snow, but I could see the pavement where I had walked.  I think maybe because it was warm yesterday that the snow is only "sticking" through sheer volume. 

Anyway, I had hoped that by packing down a trail that we could sled. Dh and I worked on that idea for about 45 min with no results. We got a cardio workout but no sledding. 

Wish my cross country skis weren't kaput. I think it would have been nice for skiing. 

• Like 4

I planned to do 30 min of something but haven't managed it yet, I'm tired today and don't feel well. Not sure if that is because I overdid it last night or what. Trying to decide what I want to do, needs to be nice and slow.

I'm doing the same pondering right now. I think I'm getting over this cold, but I don't want to overdo it. Dd wants to go ski in the park with the dog. I may join her, either of skis or snowshoes. 

Hope you find something fun to do. 

• Like 5

Well those folks down in Florida or Texas or wherever finally did send their weather up here to Canada.  We've had brisk south wind for almost 24 hours and the temperature has risen by 30 degrees and it's now above freezing!

It was homeschool park day today so I brought my skates and went out for a skate. Ouch!!!  First time on skates this year and my left outer hip bugged me so much I could only skate for 10 minutes.  And it was painful the whole time.  Never had this problem before.  It was beautiful out and otherwise I could have easily been out for 30-40 minutes.  Sigh. Not sure what's causing it but hoping some stretching will make it better before the next time I'm on skates.

• Like 6

Been gone for a bit since I hurt my lower back, but now I'm good and back at it.  Worked out the last 4 days, alternating martial arts training, bodyweight exercises, and jogging.  Low carb is not going well at all...now that I'm a single mom, I'm just happy when we all get fed non-processed food in a timely manner!  However, I did not gain any weight (funny how certain kinds of stress make you eat, and certain kinds make you never want to eat again!).  My measurements are down 3" overall since September (yay!)  My son and I are working hard for our next belt test, scheduled for Feb 17.

• Like 6

That is awesome. It's great to have the accountability of regular coaching and competitions to help support your progress in fencing. It sure helps with the self-discipline of training specific, non-fun aspects of the sport.  

I had all that with my Taekwon-do, as well as the specific goals of black belt tests. I did it for 13 years. Now I'm taking it easy. I don't have the money or the interest to do that in tennis. I'm there to have fun, play matches (both fun and competitive), and stay in shape. Also, I get to spend some really fun time with my dh! 

Also, I'm passed the point of "being in the best shape of my life," but I enjoy being in good shape for a 50 year old lady. ;)

See, that is the difference. You don't feel the need to drastically improve your shape, and given what you tell about your days, I can see why :)  Plus, you know how to stay in shape while having fun and how to keep yourself on track when fun options are not available. In a situation like that I wouldn't bother with writing anything down.

I did my 1 hour full body workout in the afternoon and a few hours later went to fencing. I'll just say that I need to reconsider my schedule :) I managed about 30 minutes of fencing, but I am totally wiped out. I'll have a private lesson tomorrow and that is probably it.

• Like 3

I did not go to the gym yesterday because it didn't stop snowing until late morning.  Knowing that two of our township's plows had been in accidents, I wasn't counting on the roads being safe.

But it did make for plenty of snow to shovel, so that was my (split) workout for the day!

• Like 6

I don't have the money or the interest to do that in tennis. I'm there to have fun, play matches (both fun and competitive), and stay in shape. Also, I get to spend some really fun time with my dh! 

I love hearing about your tennis. My dh and I are planning - at some point - to start playing. I could probably look into doing some lessons sooner rather than later...  The park behind our house even has a court, so we could play pretty easily in the summer.

• Like 5

I ordered an adrenal test after having issues again the other night (I can order that one on my own), although depending on how bad it might require a scrip. I'm calling the dr's office today to try and get a phone consult, at this point I'll take the other NP because the longer I wait the more weight I gain and I'm done fighting my body and still not feeling all that great and trying to be all zen and working out for me either (I've certainly felt much better lately but the bar was pretty low after feeling so bad this fall). I'm just done with it and done with waiting on the NP. I'm sorry for the negativity I'm just at a wits end of not feeling well(physically, mentally, emotionally etc) and watching the weight creep up. I'm getting the hormones checked too, perhaps it is just peri and nothing to be done for it or the effects of stress but I'm really frustrated with that as well. 

Fitness plans- I'm going to try and lift weights tonight and pray that if I take it nice and slow it goes ok, if not, I'm penciling in a mental breakdown at the gym :) 

Food- keep on keeping on, fighting the urge to bury my head in a bowl of sugar because of all this crap, I've had residual nausea since I overheated the other night and it sucks and makes me want to eat non-stop so I have something on my belly

back to your regularly scheduled thread- 

• Like 5

I got out skate skiing with dd and the dog. She was skijoring with the dog and she has tweaked the harness so it works really well. We only skied at the local park, but it was glorious! Fresh powder snow on a frozen base of icy grass, no wind, and -7 C. So much fun!

Well, sounds like you had more fun than me but at least we both did something.

• Like 3

I ordered an adrenal test after having issues again the other night (I can order that one on my own), although depending on how bad it might require a scrip. I'm calling the dr's office today to try and get a phone consult, at this point I'll take the other NP because the longer I wait the more weight I gain and I'm done fighting my body and still not feeling all that great and trying to be all zen and working out for me either (I've certainly felt much better lately but the bar was pretty low after feeling so bad this fall). I'm just done with it and done with waiting on the NP. I'm sorry for the negativity I'm just at a wits end of not feeling well(physically, mentally, emotionally etc) and watching the weight creep up. I'm getting the hormones checked too, perhaps it is just peri and nothing to be done for it or the effects of stress but I'm really frustrated with that as well. 

Fitness plans- I'm going to try and lift weights tonight and pray that if I take it nice and slow it goes ok, if not, I'm penciling in a mental breakdown at the gym :)

Food- keep on keeping on, fighting the urge to bury my head in a bowl of sugar because of all this crap, I've had residual nausea since I overheated the other night and it sucks and makes me want to eat non-stop so I have something on my belly

back to your regularly scheduled thread- 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Don't feel like you have to apologize. Negativity is when you make a big  whiney deal out of something that's not. You are truly suffering and have been for a long time. Sharing suffering lightens the load a bit. I'm sorry we can't be there in person to walk beside you. From my pov, what you are doing to try to maintain your health is amazing given your obstacles. It would be so easy just to sink under it, but you're actively fighting for your health, That's an inspiration to the rest of us. 

• Like 6

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Don't feel like you have to apologize. Negativity is when you make a big  whiney deal out of something that's not. You are truly suffering and have been for a long time. Sharing suffering lightens the load a bit. I'm sorry we can't be there in person to walk beside you. From my pov, what you are doing to try to maintain your health is amazing given your obstacles. It would be so easy just to sink under it, but you're actively fighting for your health, That's an inspiration to the rest of us. 

Thank you, I feel like I've had one long pity party. Trying to fight this on/off depression with the health stuff feels like more than I can manage sometimes. I was telling someone yesterday that I feel like a juggler trying to keep these balls in the air and failing. I just don't understand why I felt so bad this fall and why I can't regain where I was, how did I lose so much so fast. The weight gain is just icing on the cake.I keep trying to turn it around and look for the silver lining and trying anew but I've got to change approaches and we've got to figure out what is going on.

• Like 3

See, that is the difference. You don't feel the need to drastically improve your shape, and given what you tell about your days, I can see why :)  Plus, you know how to stay in shape while having fun and how to keep yourself on track when fun options are not available. In a situation like that I wouldn't bother with writing anything down.

I did my 1 hour full body workout in the afternoon and a few hours later went to fencing. I'll just say that I need to reconsider my schedule :) I managed about 30 minutes of fencing, but I am totally wiped out. I'll have a private lesson tomorrow and that is probably it.

I did enjoy the process of goal setting and working toward an exciting, tangible goal. There is real value in doing that. You are going to feel a real sense of accomplishment, both along the journey and when you reach your goals. It's very exciting to discover how much one can improve with dedication and hard work. I wish I had a couple videos of my Black Belt tests, so I could re-visit breaking 3 boards with my fist, or breaking my toe with a front kick. Oh, the good old days. ;)

• Like 4

Thank you, I feel like I've had one long pity party. Trying to fight this on/off depression with the health stuff feels like more than I can manage sometimes. I was telling someone yesterday that I feel like a juggler trying to keep these balls in the air and failing. I just don't understand why I felt so bad this fall and why I can't regain where I was, how did I lose so much so fast. The weight gain is just icing on the cake.I keep trying to turn it around and look for the silver lining and trying anew but I've got to change approaches and we've got to figure out what is going on.

It's so tough when we feel we've lost control over something we were previously able to control. It can be devastating.  Be gentle and patient with yourself. :grouphug: Try to remember that you have NOT lost everything you gained. Your mind and your body have those neuro-paths and will be able to rebuild them again quickly when the rest of your body is ready. It's like you achieved your diploma and even though you aren't currently using the material learned, it's still there ready to access in the future.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Despite feeling less than stellar last night and being awoken by the really loud alarm of the condo across the street and several houses down from us (it's quite loud given how far away it is) in the dead of night, I hauled myself out of bed this morning to walk the dog and hit the gym.  

Felt fine once I got to the gym and ran 2 miles (ran 4 laps, walked 1 for a total of 16 laps running which equals 2 miles).  Over an hour later my face is still somewhat red.

And I love having a locker.  Love it, love it, love it.  I'm going to try to add going to the yoga/pilates class tomorrow morning to my routine.  We shall see if I can manage a third early morning each week.  Left to myself it would be no problem but my kids are such night owls that if I want to spend quality time with them, I need to stay up later than I would prefer.

• Like 6

Rest day yesterday and 4 mile run outside today. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s it for me until the half marathon on Saturday. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s supposed to be unseasonably warm for this time of year on Saturday so aside from some traffic/logistical issues it looks like a good day for a run! :)

• Like 5

Rest day yesterday and 4 mile run outside today. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s it for me until the half marathon on Saturday. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s supposed to be unseasonably warm for this time of year on Saturday so aside from some traffic/logistical issues it looks like a good day for a run! :)

Good luck on your race - that is such an accomplishment!

I'm still sick, but starting to feel better. I'm going to continue to take it easy over the weekend, and then start rowing again Monday.

• Like 5

All the best! Hope you have a great day!!

• Like 2

Today has been my first day with my new Garmin toy. I looked at sleep data from last night and though it said 8 hours, it looked to me more like 6 3/4. Still working on it. 

I've not been remembering to drink my 2 glasses of water first. I usually remember partway through breakfast, but I guess that's better than nothing!

It seemed really easy to get to 5000 steps just from doing stuff around the house. (I'm inefficient and run around like a chicken with my head cut off but it's good for steps I guess!)  That's really what I got it though, besides sleep---measuring how many steps I am taking when I am not officially exercising. I'm afraid I often qualify as an "active couch potato" (Someone who sits a good bit of the day but exercises for an hour or so. Better than sitting a long time and not exercising, but still the sitting has negative effects.) 

I was also excited to find that I could sled today! When I first went out this morning to give some scraps to the chickens, I thought I couldn't. Our hilly drive was great, but ended in a large muddy puddle that would have been unavoidable.

Later, though, I walked down to the mailbox (about 1/2 mi away) and the hill down to the mailboxes was great...except that it ends at a busy road. So that was out. However, there was one other hill that looked decent. I got out and tried it and it was. Not as good as last year (DS recorded our speeds on his phone at over 35 mph!) but still a good ride! 

Oh, and wintermom, just so you know, it was 35 degrees and I covered my face!  :001_tt2:

Got in 11 300 steps so far. 

I really should get in a strength training workout tonight. We'll see.... 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

Oh, and wintermom, just so you know, it was 35 degrees and I covered my face!  :001_tt2:

Did you cover your face with snow during the sledding? I usually end up very snowy. ;)

It's all relative with temps. It's 25 F now and we're going outside without jackets or boots. Not quite warm enough for flip-flops, yet, but dh will be wearing his shorts in these balmy conditions.  :thumbup:

• Like 5

Did you cover your face with snow during the sledding? I usually end up very snowy. ;)

I did forget to zip my jacket all the way up the first time down and because there was so much powder, ended up with a chest full but my FACE was FINE!

It's all relative with temps. It's 25 F now and we're going outside without jackets    :svengo: Ok, You are just crazy, or boots. Not quite warm enough for flip-flops, yet, but dh will be wearing his shorts in these balmy conditions.   :thumbup:

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

I felt bad all day, nausea and dizziness off and on, got dizzy just unloading my grocery cart and going downstairs. So, I didn't even try to work out. I'm on rest mode. I missed the phone hours at the dr's, I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Good luck to you, hope that the weather holds

Good luck on your race - that is such an accomplishment!

I'm still sick, but starting to feel better. I'm going to continue to take it easy over the weekend, and then start rowing again Monday.

(hugs) glad you are feeling better

Today has been my first day with my new Garmin toy. I looked at sleep data from last night and though it said 8 hours, it looked to me more like 6 3/4. Still working on it. 

I've not been remembering to drink my 2 glasses of water first. I usually remember partway through breakfast, but I guess that's better than nothing!

It seemed really easy to get to 5000 steps just from doing stuff around the house. (I'm inefficient and run around like a chicken with my head cut off but it's good for steps I guess!)  That's really what I got it though, besides sleep---measuring how many steps I am taking when I am not officially exercising. I'm afraid I often qualify as an "active couch potato" (Someone who sits a good bit of the day but exercises for an hour or so. Better than sitting a long time and not exercising, but still the sitting has negative effects.) 

I was also excited to find that I could sled today! When I first went out this morning to give some scraps to the chickens, I thought I couldn't. Our hilly drive was great, but ended in a large muddy puddle that would have been unavoidable.

Later, though, I walked down to the mailbox (about 1/2 mi away) and the hill down to the mailboxes was great...except that it ends at a busy road. So that was out. However, there was one other hill that looked decent. I got out and tried it and it was. Not as good as last year (DS recorded our speeds on his phone at over 35 mph!) but still a good ride! 

Got in 11 300 steps so far. 

I really should get in a strength training workout tonight. We'll see.... 

LOL, that sounds fun!

I felt bad all day, nausea and dizziness off and on, got dizzy just unloading my grocery cart and going downstairs. So, I didn't even try to work out. I'm on rest mode. I missed the phone hours at the dr's, I'll have to try again tomorrow.

Hope you're feeling a lot better tomorrow. Nausea is not fun at all.  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Woke up feeling exhausted this morning after normal sleep. Not sure if it is hormones, overdoing it yesterday, or something else. Still had to do the private lesson, and was feeling well enough to do some target practice after, so about an hour of working out. It's not even 9 yet, and all I have been thinking about for the last 3 hours is going to bed, although my brain is on, so I'll probably not fall asleep anyway. 

Tomorrow I have to drive DS to a competition, so no working out. Can't say it is going to be rest either, as those event exhaust me. I can't watch my kids fence without stressing out and staying on my feet for several hours doesn't help.

• Like 2

Woke up feeling exhausted this morning after normal sleep. Not sure if it is hormones, overdoing it yesterday, or something else. Still had to do the private lesson, and was feeling well enough to do some target practice after, so about an hour of working out. It's not even 9 yet, and all I have been thinking about for the last 3 hours is going to bed, although my brain is on, so I'll probably not fall asleep anyway. 

Tomorrow I have to drive DS to a competition, so no working out. Can't say it is going to be rest either, as those event exhaust me. I can't watch my kids fence without stressing out and staying on my feet for several hours doesn't help.

Hope you got a great sleep last night.  Maybe you need to find another goal for yourself today, rather than investing your energy in your dc's competition. Let this day be theirs with the fencing, and you will find a place to rest, meditate and recover.

• Like 3

Practices have started so I do a lot of standing around and walking. I did play tennis on Tuesday and went to the Y last night for some stationary biking and a bit on the treadmill. I'm still in full recruiting mode and do a lot of sitting at my desk with emails and such. I need to figure out a better schedule to get in some exercise.

• Like 4

(hugs) I hope you got some good sleep.

(Hope you're feeling a lot better tomorrow. Nausea is not fun at all.  :grouphug:

Today is a new day and I feel much better, no dizzyness or nausea yet this morning so hopefully it vanished in the night. I've got a busy morning planned and a quiet evening. I think I'll take it easy another day, maybe I'll do some cleaning or search but I'm a little skiddish of trying anythinb much. I think I'll tip my toes in tomorrow assuming I continue to feel well today.

• Like 4

I love hearing about your tennis. My dh and I are planning - at some point - to start playing. I could probably look into doing some lessons sooner rather than later...  The park behind our house even has a court, so we could play pretty easily in the summer.

My dh and I started back into tennis by playing mixed doubles with a couple we knew. It was wonderful. Doubles is very social, not as physically demanding as singles, and there is a little less pressure on just one person to keep the rally going. The most stressful part can be the serve, because then the 3 other people you're playing with are relying on you to get your serve in so that play can resume. 

You don't necessarily need lessons to begin playing again, though they can certainly be helpful. It depends on your ability and your goals. If you've played other racquet sports, like squash, racquetball, badminton or even table tennis, that will help you out a lot in tennis. Even baseball and volleyball experience helps. And you already have the running and fitness perfected!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Rats, I was really liking my new Garmin and 24 hours after first setting it up and syncing it, it looks like it's kaputt from what I can find online. Currently on hold (expected to be over 1 1 /4 hours) with their customer support hoping for a new one to be sent.

Well that sucks.  I hope they fix it for you.  I've had mine for almost two years now and it has been through the wars and survived.  I like it a lot.

I made it to the gym early enough to take the yoga class.  It was relaxing and good for stretching but also brought to light how many parts of my body are working the way they should.  I had to modify a lot thanks to my right wrist, right shoulder and both knees - things that don't bother me in my other activities but clearly aren't in great shape.  I'm hoping we can make it to the end of February without any medical mishaps and then I can use the rest of our health care spending account from work on a trip to the physiotherapist for some exercises and care for those parts.

• Like 2

So glad I have beach body on demand. The weather has been well, very wintery but i have not missed a workout and really enjoy trying different workouts. Can't wait to get outside and continue my half marathon training.

I think it may have been you that pushed me to check out the Beachbody on Deman and buy it! Thank you!

What are your favorite workouts?

• Like 3

I went for a really nice, long snowshoe hike with my friend while the dc were outside skating on a local pond. Great conditions, at long last!  :hurray: They were actually playing hockey - how Canadian is that, eh?  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Well that sucks.  I hope they fix it for you.  I've had mine for almost two years now and it has been through the wars and survived.  I like it a lot.

They had me go through the steps of pairing it again and it did start to work again. However, the problem happened at the 24 hour mark from when I started using it! I'm concerned, especially based on what I read online, that it will periodically need "pairing" which would mess up my data. I'll stay positive for now though. 

Do you swim with yours? 

And do you know of any way I can get rid of the first day's data? I got it all paired up just before bed and it averages my 64 steps for the "day" in with all the subsequent days which is just annoying. 

• Like 2

The roads are better here. I should be able to get out tomorrow to the gym without a problem. I decided to save strength training till then. 

Today, the roads had slush, snow, and bare spots, so there was no sledding to be done, nor running either. I called a friend next door and we walked at a pretty leisurely pace because we had to be careful of slick spots. But it was movement. 

I've also been focusing on getting up every hour to either dance for a while or do some kind of active cleaning like sweeping, so that I didn't have a couch-potato effect. That's gone well. Including the walk, I have over 10,000 steps in. Nothing vigorous, but as I said, it's movement! 

Yesterday's eating wasn't so good. I think maybe the exercise in the cold made me super hungry and I ate a huge dinner and I ate late. Today has been pretty reasonable. I'm close to being out of soup, though. I made two huge pots back when we had the cold spell and froze it in pint jars. I like to make soup when the weather is cold enough for me to put it on the porch to cool so I don't accidentally leave it out all night in the kitchen because I was waiting for it to get cool enough to put in the fridge .... and then forgot about it! 

• Like 3

Dd and I went for another evening skate ski and skijoring adventure at a new park. It was good fun, and the pup is getting really good at it. I think we surprised some of the people sledding when we took off over the field with the dog pulling dd on skis.  :laugh: 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Dd and I went for another evening skate ski and skijoring adventure at a new park. It was good fun, and the pup is getting really good at it. I think we surprised some of the people sledding when we took off over the field with the dog pulling dd on skis.  :laugh: 

What kind of dog do you have?

What kind of dog do you have?

He's a standard poodle who loves to pull on the leash naturally. He has taken to skijoring really quickly. He can run over snowy fields just fine, but he hates walking in slushy snow on the roads. He picks up his feet and can't walk much then. 

I'm pretty sure the only reason he's running across snowy fields now is because the snow isn't deep. In our backyard when the snow is deep we have to shovel pathways for him or he will pee right outside the door. He looks and acts like a diva - far too pretty to be the stud dog he is.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I had a great snowshoe this morning. I took this photo of a frozen waterfall. It's hard to see the details, but the icicles are all bumpy this year. Dh and I are playing doubles tennis with our competitive league this evening. It should be fun. We're playing a team with some good friends on it.

waterfall.thumb.jpg.7f5238e5a04284bbd716

• Like 4

I had a great snowshoe this morning. I took this photo of a frozen waterfall. It's hard to see the details, but the icicles are all bumpy this year. Dh and I are playing doubles tennis with our competitive league this evening. It should be fun. We're playing a team with some good friends on it.

Pictures like this almost make me want to see actual winter. Almost :lol:

I slept 9.5 hours yesterday and felt only marginally better physically, but emotionally I was a mess all day. 8 hours today and I feel much better. I think it was hormonal. In any case, yuck. The plan for today is a full body workout and DS asked for a walk around the neighborhood, which will probably be more like crawling :) Anyway, it is good, because I totally qualify as an active coach potato (or maybe a driver's seat potato).

• Like 4