Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Happy New Year

Granny_Weatherwax

Congratulations! More like a young teenage girl than a small child's worth of weight. That is really an awesome accomplishment. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Lol, well I had in mind around dsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ weight-ish and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re right, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s almost 13 and no longer a small child.

Thanks for both well wishes. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s supposed to get cold and snow - just in time for Girl Scout cookie season so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s unlikely IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be happy with the weather anytime soon. Why our council has decided we should sell Girl Scout cookies in the Midwest in February is beyond me. So no cooperating anytime soon. I can be fickle with winter weather I will admit. ;)

• Like 3

Surprisingly good. We have not had as much snow this year as we normally do, but had a couple of big storms in the last 10 days. It was blue sky and sunshine, not too cold (around 30F), and not too icy on the runs. Seriously a day I will look back on in the years to come when my boys are all grown and off in the world.

Now thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s winter weather I can get behind! Snow, sunshine, and blue skies with temps in the 30s! Sounds like a wonderful day!

• Like 4

Ran 10 km yesterday with my group. Next weekend is the half-marathon! I'm really looking forward to it. 

Today is a rest day. Plus, I've been up since 3:40am for some reason. Not impressed. And I'm going to a literary festival today where I'll be sitting through readings from 10:30 until 6pm - hope I don't fall asleep. 

• Like 5

Our cabin camp out is over, I survived! Lots of busyness, I hardly sat down Friday and then we had some girls with issues and I didn't get to bed until almost 1 but once I did fall asleep I slept decently and didn't wake up for good until 6:30. It was an exhausting day- a couple hours of walking around/hiking, entertaining everyone, clean-up, and making sure no one got hurt (I swear some were trying to). I came home starving (I should have packed me more food but there was too much to do) and ending up noshing on some cookies and a piece of leftover gf pizza when I made it home. I do much better having a big breakfast

I've been struggling to get my normal workouts in.  Today my dh, ds, and I challenged ourselves to do 100 full body push ups.  My dh and I did 100 and my pre-teen son did 50.  With breaks of course. 

Kudos!

Tennis was great tonight. I played 1 hour ladies doubles, then 1 hour mixed doubles. Dh and I are playing tennis early tomorrow morning, so I need to get to bed right now!

Sounds like fun.

Strength training on the machines at the gym tonight. Improved on my assisted pull-ups and went backwards on the chest press. Go figure. Lower body was where I thought it should be. I have a little over 8000 steps without doing anything specific other than a 5 min treadmill warm up at the gym and walking back and forth to my neighbor's 3 times for stuff. It's 250 steps away so it adds up! 

So grand total this week: 2 strength training workouts,  4 days with 40+ min of cardio for a total of 195 min of which 95 was vigorous, and 3 flexibility sessions. I really should do another one tonight, but I'd have to warm up first which becomes an obstacle in my brain. Steps are about 10,000 on non-cardio days and 14-21,000 on cardio days. 

Sleep was good last night. Close to a full 8 hours of sleep. 

Sounds like a great week.

Yesterday, I took a friend to her first oncology appointment. The news was actually good given that it's cancer, but it's still tiring emotionally and there was lots of sitting and waiting. I had intended to workout when I got home, but I was just tired. So I called it a rest day. Still got in over 10,000 steps. 

Ya for good news

I hit the gym this morning. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m getting better at the bench press - 9 reps of 75 lbs today.

Woot!

So despite getting to the gym yesterday and today, I'm in a pretty bad place right now.

My shoulder has been bugging me and seems to be getting worse.  I fear a rotator cuff injury.  I have to figure out when I can afford to go to physio and I'm dreading the result.  Speaking to a friend yesterday who had a similar injury did not alleviate my fears.

Also speaking to same friend, she mentioned her current weight and that depressed the heck out of me.  I'm trying really hard not to focus on weight, but I know my scale said I was 25 lbs heavier than what she said hers said for her and I can only imagine how bad I must look if that's true.  Ugh.  I have avoided looking at myself too much in mirrors for about 2 years now.  I know scales can be different but that's still a big gap.

And then mirrors - I went to yoga this morning at the gym and it is in the dance studio meaning I am staring at myself in a mirror.  Between that unpleasant fact and the fact that my shoulder hurts so badly that I couldn't do a lot of the poses very well, it was a depressing class.  I think I'll probably still go to the gym on Fridays but not go to that class.  Which sucks.  Because I love classes.  But I hate all the morning classes - there's only 1 available that early in the morning on most days and none on Tuesdays.  I might try to do a yoga/pilates video at home on Saturday where there are no mirrors and I can feel less bad about not being able to do things because of my shoulder (and, if I'm honest, my knees and wrist). And then I'll probably try to do some weights and cardio on Friday morning at the gym.  I've been wanting to go swimming but that is probably not good for my shoulder.

Blah, just rambling here.  

Back to my breakfast salad which I still haven't finished.  It takes a long time to eat salad at work.

(hugs) btdt. I find it hard to even be on this thread at times. I can't do a lot of physical things and my weight has went up instead of down. It is an exercise in determination every day. You aren't alone, one day at a time, try to focus on the positives. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Rejoice with me!  I'm officially down a size in my favorite jeans, and they fit comfortably!  I've always wanted to be a size 10...  *happy tears*

Woot!!!

Only made 2 gym visits this week, one with my 15yo and the other with my 14yo. I've had so much to do, it's been hard to squeeze in.  

I think going with my daughters will work out (haha) in the long run. It's a little frustrating trying to get a good workout while getting them familiar with different equipment, good form, and finding the right weight, but they're picking it up okay.

My 14yo and I decided to do 20 minutes on the elliptical before heading home today.  The heart rate monitor had her at 101 a little while in, and a few minutes later it jumped to 198.  :huh: I know they're not all that accurate, but that's a crazy kind of jump. I may dig out my chest strap monitor for her to wear next time and see what it does. It has me a little nervous.

Hope you get some answers.

• Like 4

Dh and I played tennis this morning. We had booked the court for 2 hours because we were supposed to play doubles will our friends, but they had to bow out at the last minute. So dh and I battled on with singles for the 2 hours. He had been away all week for work, and hadn't done any exercise, so I thought it would be a pretty easy win for me. I started off great, but then all my finishing moves to win the set flew out the window. It was frustrating, but a lot of fun. We are rather competitive with each other, in case that wasn't obvious.  :laugh: 

• Like 5

Our cabin camp out is over, I survived! Lots of busyness, I hardly sat down Friday and then we had some girls with issues and I didn't get to bed until almost 1 but once I did fall asleep I slept decently and didn't wake up for good until 6:30. It was an exhausting day- a couple hours of walking around/hiking, entertaining everyone, clean-up, and making sure no one got hurt (I swear some were trying to). I came home starving (I should have packed me more food but there was too much to do) and ending up noshing on some cookies and a piece of leftover gf pizza when I made it home. I do much better having a big breakfast

Was this a family trip or with a group? Sounds like the typical camping experience - lots of work for mom in a make-shift kitchen with no sleep. As much as I love the outdoors, I'm past lots of camping trips. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Was this a family trip or with a group? Sounds like the typical camping experience - lots of work for mom in a make-shift kitchen with no sleep. As much as I love the outdoors, I'm past lots of camping trips. ;)

It was a group trip, my own kids don't act like that. If we would have been closer to home 2 girls would have been taken home, as it is they aren't coming again. Mostly it wasn't too bad b/c we were in a cabin with full bathrooms and kitchen, the bunks were even relatively comfortable. Just had an issue with some kids who have behavior problems. 

• Like 5

Yesterday was pretty much a write off aside from the 45 minute walking of the dog, which at least ensured that I got to about 14000 steps.

This morning I went to the gym even though both my weekend gym partners begged off.  I figured I might as well since I was already up due to, once again, walking the dog.  And since they weren't there, I could run at my preferred pace.  Decided to run 3 miles - a mile is 8 laps - so I would run 8 laps, walk for 1 lap, rinse and repeat.  I did it!  I ran 3 miles, felt fine, did some legs and abs and some very very careful and specific arm strength training afterwards.  

I used to be a consistent 10 minute mile person and then when I was running seriously and training for various races I could get down to 9:30 minute miles.  Now I'm at about an 11 minute mile, probably a bit over, but I'm quite happy with that. 

Thanks for the supportive words.  I've figured out the cause of my shoulder problems and am trying to come up with ways to solve it (the dog pulls on the leash and yanks and after a few years of this and a heavier dog, my shoulder has just given out) - I might have to be one of those people I loathe who keeps the leash around their waist.  I am currently making sure I use my left arm to walk the dog and trying really hard to train her not to pull but I think she might be past the trainable part of her life and I don't walk to wreck my left arm like my right arm has been wrecked.  

• Like 5

Ran 10 km yesterday with my group. Next weekend is the half-marathon! I'm really looking forward to it. 

Woohoo! Yay for the taper. Good luck at your race next weekend!

This morning I went to the gym even though both my weekend gym partners begged off.  I figured I might as well since I was already up due to, once again, walking the dog.  And since they weren't there, I could run at my preferred pace.  Decided to run 3 miles - a mile is 8 laps - so I would run 8 laps, walk for 1 lap, rinse and repeat.  I did it!  I ran 3 miles, felt fine, did some legs and abs and some very very careful and specific arm strength training afterwards.  

I used to be a consistent 10 minute mile person and then when I was running seriously and training for various races I could get down to 9:30 minute miles.  Now I'm at about an 11 minute mile, probably a bit over, but I'm quite happy with that. 

Sounds like a pleasant run! Good for you for getting up and going even though your gym friends werenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t there. It can be tempting to not go in that situation.

4.75 miles on the treadmill this morning while the kids were at winter soccer training. Nice easy run pace and for the first 40-ish minutes time relatively flew by! Registration for the marathon opened today so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m all signed up! If your registered in the first two days you got the Ă¢â‚¬Å“VIPĂ¢â‚¬ benefits for free. Not sure if it willbe worth it, but hey, it costs $50 otherwise so why not.

• Like 5

Thanks for the supportive words.  I've figured out the cause of my shoulder problems and am trying to come up with ways to solve it (the dog pulls on the leash and yanks and after a few years of this and a heavier dog, my shoulder has just given out) - I might have to be one of those people I loathe who keeps the leash around their waist.  I am currently making sure I use my left arm to walk the dog and trying really hard to train her not to pull but I think she might be past the trainable part of her life and I don't walk to wreck my left arm like my right arm has been wrecked.  

I got tennis elbow from my pulling German Shepherd! It was a guide dog puppy we were fostering, and I had to give up the puppy as my elbow was so bad. No pulling and a few weeks of physio and all was good. 

I got so frustrated with the forearm pain, as it interfered with my tennis playing. The physiotherapist said most people she sees with tennis elbow don't actually play tennis. They get the injury from other repetitive motions, such as stacking wood. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

So, I have questions about strength training and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m hoping some folks here can help me out because itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s causing me some anxiety that I really need to knowledge and work through because the thing that was off in the distance is like, Wednesday which is like three days.

When I first started running, I was so embarassed to be seen running that I avoided running near busy roads for fear that someone would see me and comment. It took most of the C25K program for me to be more comfortable in my own body running so that I could run on the sidewalk along a busy road. There may be things feel nervous about with running now, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not being seen doing it if that makes sense.

I have done some strength training at home, but my weights are limited so I *have* to do this at the gym and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to have to be seen doing it. Having watched the weight area, I know there are all types using the weights and machines, so I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really stick out, ya know, but I have no idea what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m doing.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have the PF Black card, but it looks like the regular membership (including my $100/yr one) includes Ă¢â‚¬Å“free fitness training.Ă¢â‚¬ Anyone here who has a Planet Fitness membership know what the means or used it? ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a 30 minute Ă¢â‚¬Å“express circuitĂ¢â‚¬ that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m tempted to start with, but I have no idea how to start. My other options are the general machines and the free weights. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do everything in the one book I have at Planet Fitness, but I could do a large proportion of it with the free weights there, but that seems so intimidating. And the machines seem safer at least to start.

Any suggestions for a newbie? I am definitely a Ă¢â‚¬Å“the thing that gets done is better than the Ă¢â‚¬Å“idealĂ¢â‚¬ that never gets doneĂ¢â‚¬ kind of person and I have a feeling if I find a way to start strength training on the non-busy streets as it were, that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll find greater confidence for the Ă¢â‚¬Å“idealĂ¢â‚¬ down the road when fear of being seen is replaced by Ă¢â‚¬Å“donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t give a darn.Ă¢â‚¬

• Like 1

Yesterday was pretty much a write off aside from the 45 minute walking of the dog, which at least ensured that I got to about 14000 steps.

That's what I do haha --not around my waist, but down around my hips/butt so that if I am not tuned in and she suddenly takes off after a squirrel at 60 mph, my shoulder doesn't get pulled out of the socket. My lower half is strong enough to counter her. I am holding the leash with a hand as well but it wraps around my hips before any force would get to the hand. 

If your dog is just constantly pulling, something that I have found that works (but takes some time and you can't do it if you are wanting to exercise) is to stop every time the dog pulls.  Just stop.  Wait until the dog turns and looks at you, then call them back, and proceed forward. They eventually get the idea that the only way to go forward is to keep the leash loose .If they've pulled for a long time, this can take a few sessions of constant stop and start .But after that, an occasional stop reminder should work. 

• Like 4

So, I have questions about strength training and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m hoping some folks here can help me out because itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s causing me some anxiety that I really need to knowledge and work through because the thing that was off in the distance is like, Wednesday which is like three days.

When I first started running, I was so embarassed to be seen running that I avoided running near busy roads for fear that someone would see me and comment. It took most of the C25K program for me to be more comfortable in my own body running so that I could run on the sidewalk along a busy road. There may be things feel nervous about with running now, but itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not being seen doing it if that makes sense.

I have done some strength training at home, but my weights are limited so I *have* to do this at the gym and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to have to be seen doing it. Having watched the weight area, I know there are all types using the weights and machines, so I wonĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really stick out, ya know, but I have no idea what IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m doing.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have the PF Black card, but it looks like the regular membership (including my $100/yr one) includes Ă¢â‚¬Å“free fitness training.Ă¢â‚¬ Anyone here who has a Planet Fitness membership know what the means or used it? ThereĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a 30 minute Ă¢â‚¬Å“express circuitĂ¢â‚¬ that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m tempted to start with, but I have no idea how to start. My other options are the general machines and the free weights. I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do everything in the one book I have at Planet Fitness, but I could do a large proportion of it with the free weights there, but that seems so intimidating. And the machines seem safer at least to start.

Any suggestions for a newbie? I am definitely a Ă¢â‚¬Å“the thing that gets done is better than the Ă¢â‚¬Å“idealĂ¢â‚¬ that never gets doneĂ¢â‚¬ kind of person and I have a feeling if I find a way to start strength training on the non-busy streets as it were, that IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll find greater confidence for the Ă¢â‚¬Å“idealĂ¢â‚¬ down the road when fear of being seen is replaced by Ă¢â‚¬Å“donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t give a darn.Ă¢â‚¬

I was only in a Planet Fitness once so can't speak to it specifically. 

What I can say is that it is invaluable to have a personal trainer with you your first time you are trying a new routine (new circuit, new lift, etc.). The machines are not, imo, automatically safer than free weights. What is critical to safety though is proper form and having someone else show you and watch you the first time or two .  Without proper form, whether using machines or free weights, you're likely to hurt yourself sooner or later, most likely your back or shoulders. It can occur from simple stuff like looking down when you should be looking forward. So form first.  Also, check the qualifications of the personal trainer. If they have an actual degree in exercise physiology or a related field, it's a better bet than someone who took an online course (though some of those folks can be good, too. )  Peronally, I'd go to a gym that is not a chain that employs people with degrees as personal trainers and pay for a couple sessions. Most offer pt to non-members and the money will be well worth it to avoid injury. 

I would encourage you to ask a friend to go with you for your pt session and videotape it so you can see yourself do the exercises and be able to listen to what the trainer says again. 

Another thing that is helpfulis to watch Youtube videos.  I try to choose videos that are associated with a physical therapy practice or from sites that I trust: Girls Gone Strong, Nia Shanks, Livestrong. There are some hulking guys and perky women doing demos as well. Some of those are very careful and correct and some are not. You'll get to know which ones to trust. Always cross-check the video with some others about the same machine or same free weight movement.  I  always include the phrase "proper form" in my search for a particular move. Again it is not a substitute for a real person watching you, but it can give you a good head start before meeting with the pt and good review of what you've learned. 

• Like 4

Another thing that is helpfulis to watch Youtube videos. I try to choose videos that are associated with a physical therapy practice or from sites that I trust: Girls Gone Strong, Nia Shanks, Livestrong. There are some hulking guys and perky women doing demos as well. Some of those are very careful and correct and some are not. You'll get to know which ones to trust. Always cross-check the video with some others about the same machine or same free weight movement. I always include the phrase "proper form" in my search for a particular move. Again it is not a substitute for a real person watching you, but it can give you a good head start before meeting with the pt and good review of what you've learned.

Planet Fitness was what I could afford so going to another gym is not in the cards. The same could probably be said for hiring a personal trainer. I could maybe see if the YMCAĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s personal trainers see non-members and find out how much they pad the price. Back when we had a membership at the YMCA, one of the PTs there taught some of the group classes that I took so I could see about her. Tbh, I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d forgo strength training and hire a running coach first.

Machines feel less intimidating than free weights, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m under no delusion that theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re safer. Everything carries with it the chance for injury.

Good point about the YouTube videos. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll see if I can find some for the exercises mentioned in the runnerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s strength training book. A lot of them are bodyweight based, but I find the descriptions confusinf sometimes so I could just worry less about adding weight and go with that if I can further demystify the instructions.

• Like 3

I was only in a Planet Fitness once so can't speak to it specifically. 

What I can say is that it is invaluable to have a personal trainer with you your first time you are trying a new routine (new circuit, new lift, etc.). The machines are not, imo, automatically safer than free weights. What is critical to safety though is proper form and having someone else show you and watch you the first time or two .  Without proper form, whether using machines or free weights, you're likely to hurt yourself sooner or later, most likely your back or shoulders. It can occur from simple stuff like looking down when you should be looking forward. So form first.  Also, check the qualifications of the personal trainer. If they have an actual degree in exercise physiology or a related field, it's a better bet than someone who took an online course (though some of those folks can be good, too. )  Peronally, I'd go to a gym that is not a chain that employs people with degrees as personal trainers and pay for a couple sessions. Most offer pt to non-members and the money will be well worth it to avoid injury. 

I would encourage you to ask a friend to go with you for your pt session and videotape it so you can see yourself do the exercises and be able to listen to what the trainer says again. 

:iagree:   Definitely worth the money. Think of it this way, you can pay the money upfront with a quality personal trainer, and save yourself potential injuries or muscles and/or joints, OR you can pay a physiotherapist later (and risk being inactive for a while while you recover, having to cut back on calories, not sleeping well, etc.).  Sure, you may not get inured if you just do the freebie visit, but you also want to determine what YOUR time is worth, both in the learning the proper technique, and also all the time you're going to be spending at the gym in the future. You want to have confidence in yourself and what you are doing.  It's a really good investment all round, I think.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Planet Fitness was what I could afford so going to another gym is not in the cards. The same could probably be said for hiring a personal trainer. I could maybe see if the YMCAĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s personal trainers see non-members and find out how much they pad the price. Back when we had a membership at the YMCA, one of the PTs there taught some of the group classes that I took so I could see about her. Tbh, I think IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d forgo strength training and hire a running coach first.

Machines feel less intimidating than free weights, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m under no delusion that theyĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re safer. Everything carries with it the chance for injury.

Good point about the YouTube videos. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll see if I can find some for the exercises mentioned in the runnerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s strength training book. A lot of them are bodyweight based, but I find the descriptions confusinf sometimes so I could just worry less about adding weight and go with that if I can further demystify the instructions.

I didn't mean to go to a new gym, but rather what you are thinking about the YMCA.  I hope the training fee is doable for you, but if you prep ahead of time with you-tube videos, you can get a lot more out of a session! 

I totally agree about written descriptions---even if they have photos, there can be more than one way to interpret them.  Next time you're in PF, you could write down the names on their machines and do a search for those too. I'd go for videos on individual machines. 

Good luck! 

I 

• Like 3

We took a hike yesterday, the same route I did for my 5k trail run nearly 2 yrs ago, the weather was gorgeous.

mamaraby- the other ladies have good thoughts I'd say how about just picking a few exercises to start with, and watch videos and if they have mirrors use them and your phone to record you. We are just getting a PF here so I know nothing about them but you could try the training and see how it is, I think the idea of trying a class with someone from the Y that you know is good isn't a bad idea.

• Like 4

I just gotta say, I'm so tired of being tired. I really hope I get some answers soon. It feels like I'm trying to hold up an elephant. I'm trying to soldier forth and fake it til I make it but gah. I'm tired of the fight, I just want to hide in bed today. But I've got a full day planned and I've got to be "on" and get stuff done.

• Like 3

I just gotta say, I'm so tired of being tired. I really hope I get some answers soon. It feels like I'm trying to hold up an elephant. I'm trying to soldier forth and fake it til I make it but gah. I'm tired of the fight, I just want to hide in bed today. But I've got a full day planned and I've got to be "on" and get stuff done.

So sorry you're going through this. Are you being treated by a dr? A friend of mine lost her driver's licence temporarily because she was having long-term sleeping issues. She is better now, but it can have serious consequences beyond just feeling bad.

• Like 1

So sorry you're going through this. Are you being treated by a dr? A friend of mine lost her driver's licence temporarily because she was having long-term sleeping issues. She is better now, but it can have serious consequences beyond just feeling bad.

I do have a dr, we are running tests trying to figure it out, the dr I saw in the fall was no help. I'm actually sleeping pretty good for the time being. The fatigue and mood issues are worse when the sleep is bad but still present (although it goes in waves). 

• Like 4

I do have a dr, we are running tests trying to figure it out, the dr I saw in the fall was no help. I'm actually sleeping pretty good for the time being. The fatigue and mood issues are worse when the sleep is bad but still present (although it goes in waves).

Good to hear about the sleep. Hopefully the doctor can figure things out. When do you hear back about the tests?

• Like 1

I've been trying to increase what I do during practices without breaking the rules. It's rough, though, as I am still learning and there are so many rules.

I did 13 miles on the stationary bike yesterday.

My WW isn't going well. I can track 2-3 days and then lose momentum when I use recipes since I really don't want to sit there and enter everything into the app or program. Life has also been stressful (far beyond normal life stresses) that I am certain my cortisol levels are up. I've also been stress eating and drinking. No, not alcohol. I haven't had any alcohol since the blueberry mead incident. I have been gong to the Keurig way too often. Cheap chai and hot chocolate.  :glare: I don't even really enjoy them but, since they are sweetened with sucralose, they have many fewer calories than the regular drinks I would choose. I can tell that I have reached my tolerance levels of sucralose, however, as my body feels 'off'. I really dislike having so many food sensitivities.

My mood isn't depressed but I am stressed and certainly not happy.

• Like 4

It's been 4 weeks since January 1st. So I thought I'd update as to how the diet and exercise is going.

Backstory - I lost 60 lbs in 2016 through keto, exercise, and fasting. In the winter of 2017 I had some very serious seasonal depression and put back about 25 lbs. I had a pretty dark period where I ate just about anything and everything. During days where I felt stronger, I'd do my regular intermittent fasting and keto meals, but I still struggled with sugar. I really love sugar :( Anyway, stayed around the same weight until November when I really got motivated to get back down to goal weight. November and beginning of December went well until Christmas day when I enjoyed some Christmas treats. Treats lasted a week. It's like once I start I have a real issue with stopping.  

So - Jan 1 I started a new fasting regime, continued with my running training (three to four times a week, preparing for a 1/2 marathon in Feb), ramped up the lifting at the gym, and was enjoying my keto meals. Except that there was still chocolate in the house. The second week in Jan saw me eating a bit of chocolate after meals. Funny enough, I gained back what I'd lost the first week. 

I'm on my third sugar free week now. The new fasting routine is working really well - it's become very easy. I love the Keto meals that I've made. I have tons of energy and - most importantly - I feel so happy! No sign of seasonal depression at all. I fit into all of my skinniest clothes. I'm running faster than I ever have and I'm setting some fantastic personal best records at the gym. My trainer had a goal of me deadlifting 200lbs by the end of March - I've already hit that one so now he's revised it to 250! I did read that fasting increases human growth hormone and, especially for women, leads to increased lean muscle mass - which is, I guess, why I fit into all my skinny clothes even though I'm still weighing more than I did when they last fit. Oh, and I'm down 9 lbs in 4 weeks. 

So that's my January update :) I'm looking forward to a happy February. I feel pretty hopeful about making it through this winter without any seasonal depression! Which is even more exciting than wearing a size 0 skirt. 

• Like 7

I've been trying to increase what I do during practices without breaking the rules. It's rough, though, as I am still learning and there are so many rules.

Do you mean tennis rules? What governing rules is your tennis club/league going by? Can you print off a copy of the rule book and look through it? There are governing bodies that answer questions for strange stuff that comes up during play. My dh loves contacting them and asking their ruling on specific situations that pop up during matches. There are a LOT of rules in tennis, that is definitely true. And there are a lot of people who think they know the rules. They often don't really know them or implement them correctly. It's nice to have a copy of the rules on-hand in black and white, as well as a method of making inquires to governing organizations. Some people can get very picky. I know some guys who measure the net height every time they play a match. There is a bit of an "Old Boys Club" feel about tennis sometimes, especially in mixed doubles. The men get more pleasure out of all the little technical aspects of the game. I find some competitive women get pretty nasty about self-officiating and making calls on balls. Hope you don't have to deal with too much of the PITA parts of the sport. 

Also, I'm sorry you're feeling stressed.  :grouphug:  

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Martial arts class was unexpectedly cancelled today, but I fit in a trail run in that time so not a total loss.  I've been running instead of strength training lately because I can switch my brain off and just listen to music.  I dedicate the last 2 weeks of good workouts to my new Fall Out Boy album, hahaha.  Still not back on track with low carb eating, but at least I have been eating a good amount of protein in general.  Got good sleep a couple nights this week, still working on making myself go to bed at a decent hour no matter how revved up my brain gets at 11pm...ugh. 

• Like 6

I did a full body workout this weekend, finishing the 4th week with 5+ hours of working out a week. Actually, I averaged 6.5 hours. Today is also the last day of the first week of calorie-counting. It's tedious, but pretty eye-opening. I lost about a pound of weight just by curbing my sweets binges. I guess my body used them to balance calorie deficit. I am still failing to get protein up to a decent level, I don't think I got to the recommended level once this week. I also met the calorie level only once, as I just can't eat that much without lots of sugar. Meh. At least my DH gets his nice home-cooked lunches and no high-calorie snacks.

I did a private lesson today, plus some tennis ball practice. So about an hour of that, followed by an hour of trimming roses. My arms now look like I lost a fight with a wild cat, but it was so pleasant outside in a t-shirt :)

Open fencing is in about an hour.

• Like 5

The body is so weird. I have spent months eating very little sugar and my weight stayed constant. I eat cookies and cake for a couple weeks as my equivalent to 2 pieces of bread as prescribed by the dr prior to my endoscopy, and I lose 2 pounds. And now I'm constantly craving sugar. My activity level hasn't been more than before, in fact it may have been less. I guess it could be muscle mass loss, or water loss as I think my '.' is coming. 

Please don't let this little mystery derail any of you in your low-sugar eating. I'm going to get back on track asap. It is just weird, though.  :confused1:   No wonder weight loss, gain and maintenance is such a challenge. There are so many variables involved.

ETA:  The dr said I needed to eat gluten prior to the procedure, but bread is boring, so I chose to eat home-made cookies and cake instead. My thought was that if I'm possibly going to feel bad from gluten, I may as well have the pleasure of enjoying the cookies and cake.  :o

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I'm feeling more optimistic today. I go to get my blood drawn in an hour, hopefully I'll have some results by the end of the week but I have to wait until the right time of cycle to test my hormones and still have to do my cortisol test (I hope to do that Wed or Thurs). Dh still hasn't got it sorted out with the gym I wanted to try (the one by the kid's TKD), so I'm not sure how working out will go tonight. I might go ahead and sign up a month anyway for the convenience factor (I'm crazy nervous about going back there, it has been ages, but I'm going to try and be brave).

My weight is down 2 lbs again, my weight today exactly what it was when I started this month, in that time it went down 1.8 pounds and up as much as 4 lbs. It is sad to think of no weight loss for the whole month but less sad than a gain. We'll see if it stays here or continues to bounce around. I'm *trying* to focus on the long-term, some days it is easier than others.

The body is so weird. I have spent months eating very little sugar and my weight stayed constant. I eat cookies and cake for a couple weeks as my equivalent to 2 pieces of bread as prescribed by the dr prior to my endoscopy, and I lose 2 pounds. And now I'm constantly craving sugar. My activity level hasn't been more than before, in fact it may have been less. I guess it could be muscle mass loss, or water loss as I think my '.' is coming. 

Please don't let this little mystery derail any of you in your low-sugar eating. I'm going to get back on track asap. It is just weird, though.  :confused1:   No wonder weight loss, gain and maintenance is such a challenge. There are so many variables involved.

ETA:  The dr said I needed to eat gluten prior to the procedure, but bread is boring, so I chose to eat home-made cookies and cake instead. My thought was that if I'm possibly going to feel bad from gluten, I may as well have the pleasure of enjoying the cookies and cake.  :o

Yes, our bodies are weird! 

• Like 4

Yeah this happens to me.  I splurged the week of xmas and I felt like crap most of the time and I was constantly hungry (even though I was eating way more than usual). 

• Like 3

I worked yesterday morning and then spent 6 hours in the car. It occurs to me (finally) that what I think of as normal days are actually the abnormal ones. Right now everyday is filled with errands, appointments and chauffeuring. I need to mentally shift to that is my normal. All that to say exercise did not happen. Eating was on plan but my choices were so-so. Ah well, it is what it is. Have a great day all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Yesterday was a rest day - just aimed to get in my steps and that was about it. I had also fallen off tracking my food a bit so I'm trying to get better at that.  I keep on getting breakfast and lunch tracked but then it all falls apart at dinner time when I feel bad using my phone at the dinner table trying to sort out what I'm eating.

This morning was a gym morning.  I was not feeling it.  But I left the house.  Still not feeling it.  But I got to the gym.  Couldn't decide what to do.  Thought about the bikes.  Nope.  Decided to just get on a treadmill and see what happened.  I haven't been on a treadmill in probably almost 5 years.  Walked for 15 minutes varying the incline and then ran for 25 minutes, increasing the pace every time I finished a quarter of a mile until by the end I was going at a 10 minute mile pace.  Also varied the incline during the running portion.  I was dripping sweat by the end.

Still haven't managed to see anyone about my shoulder because every place I call has openings that are completely the opposite of when I can get somewhere.  I will keep trying.  

• Like 5

Two steps forward, one step back: TTOM started today, just 19 days after my last one. Ahhh, the joys of being in my late 40Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s. I have always been unpredictable, but never this short of a time frame. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m curling up with my heating pad and Netflix - IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll exercise tomorrow.

• Like 5

Two steps forward, one step back: TTOM started today, just 19 days after my last one. Ahhh, the joys of being in my late 40Ă¢â‚¬â„¢s. I have always been unpredictable, but never this short of a time frame. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m curling up with my heating pad and Netflix - IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll exercise tomorrow.

I'm 50 and going through this now as well. Sometimes it's 19 days sometimes 40+ days. Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Like 2

I worked yesterday morning and then spent 6 hours in the car. It occurs to me (finally) that what I think of as normal days are actually the abnormal ones. Right now everyday is filled with errands, appointments and chauffeuring. I need to mentally shift to that is my normal. All that to say exercise did not happen. Eating was on plan but my choices were so-so. Ah well, it is what it is. Have a great day all.

Yes, I'm a full-time chauffeur as well. I wish there was some kind of exercise one could do while driving. My friend told me she used to get cramps in her ankle from driving so much when her dc were similar ages to mine. She drove a standard, so a little more muscle work required, but not exactly an aerobic work-out. ;) 

• Like 4

Yesterday was a rest day - just aimed to get in my steps and that was about it. I had also fallen off tracking my food a bit so I'm trying to get better at that.  I keep on getting breakfast and lunch tracked but then it all falls apart at dinner time when I feel bad using my phone at the dinner table trying to sort out what I'm eating.

This morning was a gym morning.  I was not feeling it.  But I left the house.  Still not feeling it.  But I got to the gym.  Couldn't decide what to do.  Thought about the bikes.  Nope.  Decided to just get on a treadmill and see what happened.  I haven't been on a treadmill in probably almost 5 years.  Walked for 15 minutes varying the incline and then ran for 25 minutes, increasing the pace every time I finished a quarter of a mile until by the end I was going at a 10 minute mile pace.  Also varied the incline during the running portion.  I was dripping sweat by the end.

Still haven't managed to see anyone about my shoulder because every place I call has openings that are completely the opposite of when I can get somewhere.  I will keep trying.  

Nice work getting a workout in even when you didn't feel up to it. That's tough.

I hope you're able to find someone to help with your shoulder soon.

• Like 4

No fair. I'd be curling up with a heating pad and Netflix, too.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm a full-time chauffeur as well. I wish there was some kind of exercise one could do while driving. My friend told me she used to get cramps in her ankle from driving so much when her dc were similar ages to mine. She drove a standard, so a little more muscle work required, but not exactly an aerobic work-out. ;)

I listen to diet podcasts when I'm driving - that's kind of like working out, right? ;) 

• Like 6

Had an awesome time at the gym this morning. I really love lifting weights. I've got a training run with the group tonight, but it snowed a ton this morning and then it rained a bit and the roads are a big sloshy mess. We have run in this kind of stuff before, which is not fun, so I'm hoping we'll run at the track tonight, which is also not fun but is definitely preferable to soaking cold feet.

• Like 6

Yeah this happens to me.  I splurged the week of xmas and I felt like crap most of the time and I was constantly hungry (even though I was eating way more than usual). 

That's why I think *my* body is weird. I don't have cravings after eating sugar, it signals that I am full. And I also lost weight when I ate more than reasonable amount of cookies, I think due to decreased appetite. Actually, when I cut sugar a few years ago I felt hungry all the time, and since I usually follow my body, I gained weight.  I think our bodies have a way of telling us what we really need, we just lost the ability to decipher those signals. 

Anyway, while my sugar, according to MyFitnessPal is usually higher than it thinks it should be, most of it comes from lactose and fruit, so I am fine with that. And cutting all added sugar to save less than 100 Cal and be hungry all day is just not worth it to me.

I may skip fencing today, since it is DS's birthday and I want us to have some family time. I'll try to fit my full body workout sometime today.

• Like 3

Anyway, while my sugar, according to MyFitnessPal is usually higher than it thinks it should be, most of it comes from lactose and fruit, so I am fine with that. And cutting all added sugar to save less than 100 Cal and be hungry all day is just not worth it to me.

ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s actually one of my issues with MFP - it doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t distinguish between sugar from fruit and added sugar. Sugar from fruit I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t care about. Tracking added sugar would be a whole lot more interesting to track. As it is, I ignore that bit because itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s just not useful if youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re going to carp at me about the sugar in my banana. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢mma still gonna eat that banana.

And yeah, sugar in general is just not a useful predictor for me in weight loss. Fiber now? Increasing that is usually far more helpful than reducing sugar. So, fwiw, I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think your body is weird. Or really, anyoneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s for that matter. This kind of stuff is absolutely n=1 when it all comes down to the nitty gritty.

• Like 4

Just....WHY is my left butt cheek hurting after the gym each time now?!  So weird. 

It could be muscular. The upper ends of the hamstring muscles attach deep in the butt. There are a few gluteus muscles as well. Could be some pain from some of the movements you are doing. I get right butt cheek pain when I run. It gets better if I run with a shorter stride. Can you think of movements that seem to trigger the pain?

• Like 3

It could be muscular. The upper ends of the hamstring muscles attach deep in the butt. There are a few gluteus muscles as well. Could be some pain from some of the movements you are doing. I get right butt cheek pain when I run. It gets better if I run with a shorter stride. Can you think of movements that seem to trigger the pain?

Well yeah it's obviously triggered by walking on an incline.  Maybe I'm tensing it up.  My stride is rather wide...wider than it would be if not on a treadmill.

• Like 1

Woot! I got signed up at the gym right next to TKD. Dh's work subsidizes it, so it is $8 a month, if I did go 8x a month  I get charged an extra $17, so it is still not a bad deal but is a motivator and having it next to TKD and only 15 min. from my house I'm hoping to set myself up for success. Being right by TKD I get a full hour to work out too!

The gym was not nearly as intimidating as I remember and it wasn't super busy. I even managed to ask a guy to spot me. My powerlifting friend works out there too so I'm hoping we can meet and lift some time together. 

I'm feeling very proud and pretty sure I'm going to be sore!

• Like 4