Menu

undecorating Christmas

Elizabeth86

That's a good idea about the dishes.

I usually keep outdoor wreaths up till Candlemas, but that could just be laziness, lol.

We've taken down the inside decorations, and DH is taking down the tree, but the kids voted to leave the outdoor wreath and outdoor lights a while longer.  I'm cool with that. :)

• Like 1

Well, we got it done, mostly. The tree is de-ornamented, and all of the ornaments are wrapped and tucked into the storage box. All of the inside decorations are also down and stowed as appropriate. 

The storage bins are sitting in my living room waiting for me to tape fresh labels on them, and there is a small pile of stuff that will need to wait until there is a storage bin available. (At the moment, the new tubs I bought for this purpose have been pressed into service sorting craft and office supplies in preparation for some reorganizing we're doing between two of the bedrooms.) 

And, of course, the tree needs to be taken out of its stand and put outside.

But I actually managed to stick with the task long enough to do most of the labor-intensive stuff. So I'm counting that as a win.

We usually take the tree down on New Year's Day. I like to have it up through the end of the year but down before DH returns to work and has less time to help.

We took the ornaments off, but I don't think it will all be finished today. We are taking the lights off of a pre-lit tree, because half of them don't work any more, and it is a big pain. DH has been wanting to throw the tree out and start with a new one next year, but when I've looked in the stores, I haven't seen any trees that are as nice as this one. Even though it is an old hand-me-down from my parents and sheds a ton of needles whenever we pack or unpack it, it is still lovelier than most. I think my parents paid a premium for it (Christmas decor was really important to Mom). So even though it is a pain, we will hang onto it for awhile longer. Taking the old lights off should make it easier when we put it up next year.

I'll take down the other decorations throughout the week and hopefully have it done by next weekend. It's not a lot, and I could get it done today, but I'd rather not spend the holiday working.

For us, we usually wait until the leavetaking of Theophany (so about Jan. 13).  We put exterior house lights up on Dec. 13 and don't start decorating inside in earnest until about the 18th and our tree goes up around the 20th. So things still seem "new" to us and we're in no hurry.  Some year I'd love to hold out until the Feast of the Presentation of Christ in the Temple (Feb. 2) but it does feel like a huge stretch!