Menu

I MAY be having a party

regentrude

I can't stand when people do that. I'm fine with other people hosting open house parties, but I could never deal with the wondering whether people would show up! NYE can be tough; people want to party-hop and staying at one party from 7 until midnight can make for a long night. But people should let you know if they're planning to drop by. I hope it works out well!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

If you specifically said RSVP, then it kind of baffles me that people don't RSVP!  I think people don't really know what it means anymore. RSVP means they need to let you know, either way.  Regrets Only means they only need to let you know if they can't come.  

But maybe it's very casual and you do this every year and there's kind of a standing rule that they don't need to let you know ahead of time.

In any event, I'm sure it'll be fun and at least a few people will stop by!  And leftovers are always good the next day.  :)

I’m so sorry. That’s so frustrating. You know from the other thread that I don’t host parties and usually go out to eat with friends instead of visiting in houses, but the few times I’m invited to someone’s house I always RSVP quickly because I know the host needs to know who’s coming right away.

If these are people you know well, and if there’s a FB invite, then can you send around a light message asking for a head count? Tell them you’re about to make the food and need to know.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Sigh...

I often have to email/text friends individually to ask for a firm commitment "so I can plan the food".  I think it just doesn't cross people's minds that it's helpful to the hostess to have an idea of the number who will attend.  Don't know why...

Besides, I think it's fun, as the hostess, to look forward to seeing friends who will be at my house for dinner or a party!

Ugh, I'm sorry.  I do wonder if people know what "RSVP" means, and if they don't, don't bother to find out.  

I didn't have a party this year (I was sick for a month, just a lingering cold/cough) but in past years I think I've averaged about a 50% response rate.  it drives me crazy.

I hope you are pleasantly surprised.  After reading here about your parties, dinners, recipe suggestions... I'd love to come to one of your parties and would certainly respond!

• Like 1

The lack of RSVPs drives me nuts. I've taken to leaving one key piece of information off of the invitation (like the time, or the address) so that if someone wants to come they have to call me for it and that's how I get a headcount these days.

At least I invited over twenty people for a New Year's Eve party. Tonight at 7pm.

It is 11 am. I have not received any RSVP, just a few non-committal "maybe"s.

Will start making food shortly. There may or may not be any guests to eat it.

• Like 8

I bet most will show up. RSVPing seems to have gone by the wayside. People appear to not be able to commit to an RSVP because after all there could be a minuscule chance they will be prevented from coming for some reason. It never used to be an issue.

I'd make whatever food you had planned. If you have fewer guests, you can freeze and have delicious leftovers. You will likely have a full house. :)

Enjoy!

Happy New Year!

• Like 3

I don't think most people wait to respond to an invitation because weather might prevent them coming, or some other thing might come up.  I think there are other reasons. In the thread about hosting, a lot of people said they don't ever host. So I'm quite sure a large segment of the non-WTM population doesn't ever host either, and some percentage (not all) of those people probably don't get it that hosting takes planning, prep, and expense.  So they feel free to wait till they see if they feel like going out, or if they get a better offer.  

Unless the invitation was sent very close to the date, people don't really know what the weather is going to be like so it shouldn't factor into their response.  And any host who plans a party understands that weather might be an issue!   Whenever we are having a big thing, we are watching the weather for days beforehand, to see if we should cancel, or change plans.  (Like for a summer picnic that is supposed to be outside, but after the invitations have gone out the forecast is calling for thunderstorms - can we manage indoors or should we cancel?)  

If I get an invitation and I want to go but know of something that may prevent my going, I decline on that basis.  "We'd love to come, but I've been sick for a month and still coughing, so have to decline."  The host can then say "oh, sorry you can't make it, hope we can get together soon, feel better!" or "let's leave it at maybe and if you feel better, plan to come along."  There's no good reason not to respond, unless the truth is "I think I might like to come, but something better may come up, so I want to be noncommital."

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

I have now received one  two cancellations for sickness.

The weather is fine. It is cold, but beautiful and clear. This is a tiny town, so nobody would have to drive for more than five minutes to get here.

I will make food. And we shall eat well, with or without guests.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 19

At least I invited over twenty people for a New Year's Eve party. Tonight at 7pm.

It is 11 am. I have not received any RSVP, just a few non-committal "maybe"s.

Will start making food shortly. There may or may not be any guests to eat it.

Wth is wrong with these people? You've had them over for years with no reciprocation, and they can't even RSVP? This must be some sort of obligatory party that you're throwing? I'm angry about these people for you! :(

I wish you could host a WTM party. We all have great party food ideas, and we'd appreciate your hospitality.

• Like 6

Wth is wrong with these people? You've had them over for years with no reciprocation, and they can't even RSVP? This must be some sort of obligatory party that you're throwing? I'm angry about these people for you! :(

Some people do reciprocate. It's just some (a rather substantial number) that never do. 

It's not obligatory at all - after being on our own for Christmas break, it would be nice to see some friends. many are out of town, so I am already not counting those.

I am not angry, just a bit puzzled because, well, numbers.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

We had a party. First time ever everyone we invited except one person came. I was tempted to invite a couple more but glad I didn't as it was full house and chaotic enough. The kids all had a great time and got along really well. The adults were all about ready to quit by 10.30! Some of us hung on till midnight. We watched the Sydney Nye fireworks live on tv.

• Like 3

RSVP literally means "please respond" . Without a disclaimer "only if you plan to attend".

Yes, I thought it stood for "repondez s'il vous plait."

Where is the recipe for the onion tart? I am about to leave here on way to friends' house but will be back tomorrow. :)

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 4

I brow-beat my guests before the Christmas party. I sent out an email telling them if I had not heard from them,I would assume they were not coming and I would not make a Lemon Tassie for them. That seemed to be key because that was when I got the bulk of the resoonses and many prople mentioned the Lemon Tassies because most people did not know what that was. :)

I think, anymore, we must spell out the need for a response in a way that cannot possibly be misunderstood. I was beginning to have nightmares that I would prepare food for 18 people (who had replied to that point) but then 40 would come. Being ultra-clear worked out well and I think the little humor addition helped make it smoother.

• Like 3

I brow-beat my guests before the Christmas party. I sent out an email telling them if I had not heard from them,I would assume they were not coming and I would not make a Lemon Tassie for them. That seemed to be key because that was when I got the bulk of the resoonses and many prople mentioned the Lemon Tassies because most people did not know what that was. :)

I think, anymore, we must spell out the need for a response in a way that cannot possibly be misunderstood. I was beginning to have nightmares that I would prepare food for 18 people (who had replied to that point) but then 40 would come. Being ultra-clear worked out well and I think the little humor addition helped make it smoother.

so what IS a Lemon tassie?

• Like 1

Yes, I thought it stood for "repondez s'il vous plait."

Which literally means "respond if it pleases you"... which apparently, it didn't. (and yes, I know it normally just means "please")

So, anyway, where's the party at?

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

Which literally means "respond if it pleases you"... which apparently, it didn't. (and yes, I know it normally just means "please")

So, anyway, where's the party at?

that might be the literal translation (from back in a day when people were more, at least superficially, polite) - but it is expected people will *respond*.

so what IS a Lemon tassie?

See? It worked on you, too!

It is a small tart with a Lemon Curd filling. Almost like a tiny Lemon Meringue Pie, but without the Meringue. It is so dreamy. I still have some of the Lemon Curd left in my fridge...probably going to top some yogurt with it and call it dessert...

• Like 5

So did they come? LOL We called off the people we had coming to our house. We're all fighting a bug and the families who were coming were sick. But if I were in that position, I'd keep it simple and have a freezer full of appetizers to warm up (more or less depending on the number of people) or order pizza depending on how many came. No way would I cook and wonder, lol. But hopefully your people showed up! :D

• Like 1

I was curious if anyone came too.

I don't host things because I am massively embarrassed of my super cluttery house - but my goal this year is to clean more and get past that. So I invited people over for playing games on New Years Day -- I figured it was a day that no one would have any plans. Well, either it's the most scheduled day of the year or my friends just don't actually like me - no one is coming over. So sad -- gonna have to work up a lot more energy to try and host something again. 

I was curious if anyone came too.

I don't host things because I am massively embarrassed of my super cluttery house - but my goal this year is to clean more and get past that. So I invited people over for playing games on New Years Day -- I figured it was a day that no one would have any plans. Well, either it's the most scheduled day of the year or my friends just don't actually like me - no one is coming over. So sad -- gonna have to work up a lot more energy to try and host something again.

Aww we'd come! We seriously almost never get invited over to folk's house Like only one of our friends ever have us over as a family. So we are hosting a new group tomorrow. I think dh's allergies intimidate folks (although we can bring food). Or the 4 kids or that he's the pastor. Who knows and I'm not bitter about it or anything--I just kinda wanna go to someone else's house for dinner or games or brunch. So I'd come and make friends!

But probably everyone is actually busy. Because we are having folks over (who probably will never invite us back. Lol)

And OP--I'm with you. We have a huge boy scout Eagle Court of Honor next week and I'm having trouble getting RSVPs.

Aww we'd come! We seriously almost never get invited over to folk's house Like only one of our friends ever have us over as a family. So we are hosting a new group tomorrow. I think dh's allergies intimidate folks (although we can bring food). Or the 4 kids or that he's the pastor. Who knows and I'm not bitter about it or anything--I just kinda wanna go to someone else's house for dinner or games or brunch. So I'd come and make friends!

But probably everyone is actually busy. Because we are having folks over (who probably will never invite us back. Lol)

And OP--I'm with you. We have a huge boy scout Eagle Court of Honor next week and I'm having trouble getting RSVPs.

Well if you happy to live in Maryland - you're absolutely welcomed to come anytime to play games. And we even accomodate allergies pretty well, usually!

As for regenetrude - I expect she is having a great time with friends! In my little world, it'd be terribly rude to be online posting about a party while hosting said party. :) Though some exceptions could be allowed.

• Like 3

Well if you happy to live in Maryland - you're absolutely welcomed to come anytime to play games. And we even accomodate allergies pretty well, usually!

As for regenetrude - I expect she is having a great time with friends! In my little world, it'd be terribly rude to be online posting about a party while hosting said party. :) Though some exceptions could be allowed.

Alas! I *wish* I lived in Maryland!  I grew up in DC and met dh there and we would love to be in Maryland. 

• Like 1