Menu

How far away do your two families live apart (if you are married.)

DawnM

Both sets of dh’s parents and my parents live with 45 miles of each other. We, however, live on the other side of the planet, but at least it’s easy to visit everyone when we’re in the US. I would be shocked if any of them moved from the state they live in.

It would be fun to live near my sisters, but since they are in four different states, that’s not really possible.

We live 20-30 minutes away from my DH's parents.  DH's brothers live about 4 hours away (by car).  My sister lives 2,000 miles away from us.  My dad currently lives about 1,000 miles away, but that will be changing shortly.  He's moving to a retirement community very close to us.

Both sides of the family moved around over the decades.  DH's immediate family settled here, but only after shifting about between a number of states when the kids were younger.  On my side we moved around a bit over the years, and continued to do so after us kids got through college.  We make a road trip each year to visit DH's grandmothers (both mid- to latter-90s now, so time is precious) and various other family and friends as we can fit in.  I do love the fact that our kids have had the chance to get to know their great-grandmothers and have memories of when they were more mobile and independent.

DH is from Canada, and All his family live there thankfully.  We are in Australia. so on the other side of the world, roughly 16686 km away as the  crow flies..  All my family are in the same state as me, though spread out a bit. 

You are  the only person i've encountered who has ever lived farther apart than dh family and mine. 

His (parents) are about 9600 miles away.  His siblings are slightly closer, but not enough to make much of a difference.  

It makes me sad that my older kids have no cousins to hang out with.  They really had a lot of fun this past summer when we visited.  I'd love for them to come stay with us for awhile.  

My family lives 20 min away.  

My family is from far northern NY and still lives there.  Hubby's family is from the Richmond, VA area (though he mostly grew up in NC).

We look at it more as a 4 hour drive south (can be longer pending traffic around DC) or a 7-8 hour drive up north (can be longer due to snow).

No family members live around us in PA.  We picked it after having lived in FL partially due to its location between our folks - the other part due to liking the general topography and population density.  We are the ones who moved away from family (to RI, FL, PA, and in another couple of years elsewhere, but exactly where yet TBD).  We met in college... and are forging our own "hometowns."

My parents live in Florida; my mom in one city and my father / stepmother in another city. Two of my younger sisters live in Florida as well. My other younger sister lives in Wisconsin.

My husband's family (parents are deceased, but he has close extended family still) live in Pennsylvania. 

Locally, I have an aunt who lives about an hour from me; he has no family locally. We live in SC. 

Dh's brother and family are 90 miles north. We also have one of his cousins in that area, around 120 miles north. His parents are 9,500 miles west. My parents passed away but all of my family is 6,000 miles east.

ETA Dh’s sister is 8,000 miles west. Except for dh’s brother, all of our immediate family members are in 3 different continents.

Edited by Mabelen

My parents live downstairs.  They just moved into a wing of our house.  Jamie's mom lives in Ireland (we're in Texas).  My mom's extended family live in Maryland and my dad's in Virginia.  My siblings live in Alaska and (soon to be) Nevada.

Edited by Butter

DH's family (parents, sister, brother and his family) all live about 2.5 hours north of where we are. His parents and sister live near the area where he grew up, and his brother lives an hour or less from them. DH's parents go to FL for three or four months in the winter, which puts them about two days away by car for that period of the year.

My family (parents, sister and family, brother and family) live in my hometown, which is two hours west of here.

Two hours doesn't sound like it is very far, but we have a busy schedule and a lot of commitments here, so we can't travel to see them very often.

You are  the only person i've encountered who has ever lived farther apart than dh family and mine. 

His (parents) are about 9600 miles away.  His siblings are slightly closer, but not enough to make much of a difference.  

It makes me sad that my older kids have no cousins to hang out with.  They really had a lot of fun this past summer when we visited.  I'd love for them to come stay with us for awhile.  

My family lives 20 min away.  

I for one am very glad that my kids could not hang out with thier Canadian cousins, especially as one family ( most of the cousins) are drug dealers. the further we are away from them the better all round.