Mac and cheese

Edited by ScoutTN

Pot roast

Meat loaf

Stews

Chicken pot pie

Corned beef around St Patrick's Day

Shepherds pie

My favorites are foods that require long cooking in the oven, veggies as well as meats. Red cabbage with apples is my favorite. I am hoping the kids will eventually like it....

Based on a recommendation on this board, I am going to try sauerbraten, have never cooked it before.

Edited by Alessandra

Sausage and cabbage. I use smoked sausage or kielbasa, slice it thin. I lightly fry it in a large pot (make sure to stir to try to brown both sides).  Chop up a head or two of cabbage, probably 1-2 inch squares.  I do my best to separate layers as I add it in on top of cabbage.  Stir it all together add salt and pepper cook on med-low and stir every so often until it's done to our preferred tenderness.  It's easy, cheap and everyone, except DD, loves it.

We don't eat a lot of meat, definitely very little "processed" type meat but this is one thing that we make an exception for. 

• Like 1

The high for the next few days is -2. We had shepherd’s pie last night (technically cottage pie), salsa verde enchiladas today, chili tomorrow, and gumbo on Monday.

Half those things I pulled out of the freezer; the other half I’m making enough to freeze!

• Like 1

Chx pot pie ***everyone's favorite here

Shepherd's pie (with beef and lamb)

Lentil soup - mine has bacon, sherry and cream

Chx enchiladas

Beef stew

Clam chowder

Corn chowder

Tomato soup (homemade)and grilled cheese

Mac and cheese

Chicken pot pie & biscuits

Chili

Vegetable beef soup

Beans & cornbread (pinto beans or white beans)

Loaded potato soup

Spaghetti

One easy one my kids like now is Smoked Sausage sliced and cooked with onions.  Then served with Velveeta Mac and Cheese made in the instant pot.  Serve with a steamed veggie.

We also do chili in the crock pot quite often.

Pot roast

Meat loaf

Stews

Chicken pot pie

Corned beef around St Patrick's Day

Shepherds pie

My favorites are foods that require long cooking in the oven, veggies as well as meats. Red cabbage with apples is my favorite. I am hoping the kids will eventually like it....

Based on a recommendation on this board, I am going to try sauerbraten, have never cooked it before.

These ideas are all so good!!  I'm stealing for my next menu!!

• Like 1

The only thing I can think of off hand that EVERY family member loves is Italian Beef.  Onions in the bottom of the crock pot (sliced thick so one kid can avoid them,) a roast, 2pkg of Italian Seasons dressing mix, and beef broth, cooked until it shreds.  Toasted rolls brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with pepper jack cheese (no cheese for the onion-avoidant kid, either) and, voila!

We rotate a lot of the things already mentioned, but there are always one or two people here who aren't overjoyed.

I tend to do a soup-ot-the-week during the winter months and make a HUGE pot so that we have leftovers.  Favorites are chili, white chicken chili, chicken wild rice, minestrone and beef stew.  I've done a tomato/chicken/quinoa one with curry recently that we liked as well.

Another favorite is Mexican gumbo.  Basically it's cooked chicken, beans, corn, onions and peppers in a salsa flavored tomato sauce and served over rice with sour cream, cheese and chips. Easy.

• Like 2

Potato soup

Beef stew

Enchiladas

Chili (both a chicken and a beef, though dh and I have a mini war over the beef chili and how it should be made :laugh: )

French onion soup

Barley "salad" (barley, yogurt, cucumber, carrot, onion and spices to make a thick, creamy side dish)

Biscuits and gravy

Ravioli stuffed with butternut squash puree and done in a brown butter sauce

Gnocchi

At this point, if it has fat and carbs, my family will eat it ravenously.  It is so cold people are skating on the ponds.

• Like 1

The only thing I can think of off hand that EVERY family member loves is Italian Beef. Onions in the bottom of the crock pot (sliced thick so one kid can avoid them,) a roast, 2pkg of Italian Seasons dressing mix, and beef broth, cooked until it shreds. Toasted rolls brushed with garlic butter and sprinkled with pepper jack cheese (no cheese for the onion-avoidant kid, either) and, voila!

We rotate a lot of the things already mentioned, but there are always one or two people here who aren't overjoyed.

That sounds great.

Here's an easy favorite that I cook in the slow cooker:

One package kielbasa, sliced; a (small) can or package of sauerkraut; one can of beer;  potatoes, carrots, and onions  -- chopped, to your liking.  Cook all afternoon in the slow cooker.  (I always start it on high to get it going, and eventually change it to low.)  Serve topped with mustard.

• Like 2

We love many of the things mentioned but I always have to recommend the Pioneer Woman's Sunday Night Stew. Its on the blog. Its so yummy. The stew is served in a bowl with mashed potatoes. So so good.

I also make a delicious Guinness Irish Stew with Irish soda bread every winter. Pinterest recipes.

One more favorite is Albondigas soup. Its Mexican meatball soup. I was skeptical at first but I love it and make it every winter now.

Chipped beef and gravy (homemade from scratch) served over mashed potatoes (real, not boxed) was the requested meal we all enjoyed last night.

It's always requested when my boys come home (sometimes over rotini instead), so not just a winter meal, but it sure works for winter.

What do you use for the chipped beef?  I wasn't sure if the "homemade from scratch" referred to the gravy or both the gravy and the chipped beef.  When we had chipped beef growing up it was the meat in the jar.  I've been tempted to make it for my guys, as we liked it growing up, but I seem to remember it being very salty, too. 

• Like 1

What do you use for the chipped beef?  I wasn't sure if the "homemade from scratch" referred to the gravy or both the gravy and the chipped beef.  When we had chipped beef growing up it was the meat in the jar.  I've been tempted to make it for my guys, as we liked it growing up, but I seem to remember it being very salty, too. 

We use the Hormel in the jar variety.  Armour is ok.  We don't care for any of the others.  Chipped beef in plastic is disgusting flavor-wise (to us).

By scratch I meant the gravy and mashed potatoes.  We don't care for other versions of the gravy and it's not the same with boxed potatoes either.

For gravy I simply do the 2 tablespoons of flour to 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of whole milk ratio.  Then I add a little bit of black pepper and a small jar for 2 cups or less - a large jar (or two smalls) for 4.  Nothing else.  Salt comes from the meat and we don't care for other flavor additions like Worcestershire sauce as many recipes want to add.  It's also not as good with low fat milk, etc.   Mashed potatoes get butter and whole milk too.  If we're doing comfort foods, we want them done correctly.  We eat healthy at other meals.  ;)

• Like 1

See this is all funny to me as I like "winter food" all year long no matter how hot it is. It's just the food I like to eat.

I don't use the oven when it's hot, so like mid March to mid October. It heats up the house so much that the AC can't compensate. It has the benefit that we all look forward to casseroles/oven food in winter

Edited by Zinnia

We use the Hormel in the jar variety.  Armour is ok.  We don't care for any of the others.  Chipped beef in plastic is disgusting flavor-wise (to us).

By scratch I meant the gravy and mashed potatoes.  We don't care for other versions of the gravy and it's not the same with boxed potatoes either.

For gravy I simply do the 2 tablespoons of flour to 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 cup of whole milk ratio.  Then I add a little bit of black pepper and a small jar for 2 cups or less - a large jar (or two smalls) for 4.  Nothing else.  Salt comes from the meat and we don't care for other flavor additions like Worcestershire sauce as many recipes want to add.  It's also not as good with low fat milk, etc.   Mashed potatoes get butter and whole milk too.  If we're doing comfort foods, we want them done correctly.  We eat healthy at other meals.  ;)

Thanks, Creekland! 

I think I'm going to put this on the menu soon.  My kids need to experience it!  Growing up, we always made our own gravy, too.  In fact, I think this was one of the first dishes I learned to cook. 

• Like 1

Our favorite meal is completely unexpected, but it is called Bavarian Meatball Stew. It's yummy meatballs (with nutmeg and other spices) with potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and sweet sauerkraut.I know it sounds so weird, but I promise, it's delicious! Every time I make it, I think that if I wouldn't have given in a chance, I would be missing out on one of the best wintertime meals ever. My whole family just loves it. An interesting flavor for sure that I don't get anywhere else-and it's pretty easy. Message me if you'd like the recipe.

• Like 1

I see a lot of common favorites! There's something about hearty comfort food in winter. This is my "soup season".

Ham and lentil soup (youngest's favorite meal ever)

Chicken & gnocchi/spätzle/rice soup

Chicken tortilla soup

Cream of celeriac soup (OK, I'm the only one who loves this, but they eat it)

Chili w/ ground pork

Chili with white beans & chicken 

And for non-soup meals:

Taco Pie

Meatloaf

Chicken Pot Pie

Turkey Tetrazzini (made this tonight!)

Potato & spinach frittata

Homemade mac & cheese

I’m just going to do a big batch of generic veggie soup today. I’ll freeze it and add potatoes when I reheat. I prefer soups to salads when it’s cold and this is an easy way to get lots of veggies. Dinner will be a beef roast, veggie soup, and the Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole.

Chicken wild rice soup (google Uncle Ben's version), my kids LOVE this. I use rotisserie chicken in it and buy a loaf of French bread as a side. 

Also just made biscuits and gravy for breakfast, my boys kept saying how good it was. (I cheated and used pre made biscuits and sausage gravy powdered mix) but it was perfect for a cold day.