Menu

Opinions on Memoria Press Core Curriculum?

Allison TX

I am looking at MP for my little guy for 1st next year.  Has anyone used a full, or almost full, core from MP?  Do you like most of the components?  Do you use R&S math? Do you like the LA recs? Is the amount of work doable? Have you continued to use the cores for more than a year?  Is it interesting/fun?  

I bought a Kinder guide form MP to look through and get ideas for this year, and I really like it, but right now we're using different phonics and math, so I'm deciding if I want to make the switch.

My other thought is piecing together using mostly WTM recs, but I'm worried I'll miss the daily schedule.  I've used HOD for ten+ years, and although I modify every year, I like having a plan to work with.  Starting from scratch makes me a little scared. 

Thanks!

Most people on this forum value flexibility over ease (so you probably won't hear many people who used it and were able to stick to it).

I looked at it a lot and, while there were a lot of things that appealed to me, in the end, my kids' skills were too diverse to buy a whole package. And then, once I thought about substituting things, it became overwhelming again. Starting with a younger kid (my oldest was in 5th at the time) might work a lot better.

The company seems really flexible, though, so I think they would work with you to piece together what you need. From reading on the forums for a long time (about three months two years ago when I was considering MP), I only have positive opinions of the company. I love their read aloud packages in the younger years.

It was actually on the MP forums that I got advice that made me take another direction. The advice was to look at your child and how your child learns. I have one kid (the second child) who really needs to figure out all her own material. She would be a terrible fit for MP. So I followed that child's direction. Maybe, knowing what I do now, I would have done a more classical approach for oldest, Charlotte Mason for second, and something in the middle for the third. 

Emily

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 4

I go through this every year, looking at Memoria Press and other packages that are so tempting......and Memoria is so pretty......

But the truth is, I could never do it.  I like picking out the subjects based on skill level and what he'd enjoy or goes in a direction I envision.  He is so asynchronous that it is hard to find a package that fits.

If you are scared to do your own thing, know that making lesson plans is EASY.  Most items come divided into 36 or 140-180 lessons anyway, so you plan weekly or daily.  Others will tell you straight up that it's meant to be used 2-3x a week (like ELTL), or come with a lesson plan ready for you.  I input them all into Skedtrack and voila!  I know exactly what we're doing and have subjects tailored to be done on certain days while other subjects are done every day.

Memoria Press, as a company, is fabulous. I can not say enough about their overall flexibility and customer service to do them justice. I loved first grade and we pretty much used it as it stands. I did not do the enrichment as we do that through other avenues as a family, and we use our own math. As they get older I mix things up even more but it was perfect for 1st. My oldest is in 6th and we use their Latin (online), writing (Classical Comp), Grammar, and a mix of Literature as we like—but not as scheduled. Their history studies would be excellent too but I like trending toward the same time period as a family, so we use a 4-year cycle. You are a ways off, but their online academy is top notch with the same customer service and their forums are active and filled with teachers from their brick & mortar school. I will add a class for my oldest next year (writing) followed by another the year after so she will have that experience for high school.

By the way, I didn’t use the curriculum guide as is entirely but it was amazing to know we were on track and it taught me how to schedule and plan!

• Like 1

I am using MP core with my 4th grade dd. She started in K and we were not always good about getting everything done but now in 4th we are doing it almost exactly as written.

I love it. This is my 15th yr homeschooling and dd is my 4th child. I'm tired. I used to pick and choose and could not have fit my older kids in a standard box. When we started K I knew I was going to be focused on high school and college apps with the older ones while she was young. I just wanted a box! I am very pleased with it and I really like how literature rich it is. Dd loves to read and at any given time we have one book we are working on as literature study, another I am doing as a read aloud, and one she is reading to herself as history enrichment.

I really love it and use all of it and I have never added or supplemented until this year when I added SOTW because we have extra time and I knew she'd enjoy it. But it perfectly fits my lifestyle right now. I don't want to spend any time researching curriculum and I am no longer drawn to try new things like I used to. I just buy the box and even all the optional book sets and check off all the boxes. I'm very happy with it but it would lose its value if you were tweaking and adding stuff I think.

Dd is doing beautifully this year and is an excellent reader with an impressive vocabulary in spite of inconsistent schooling K-3 (used MP but never got it all done, lots of personal turmoil and burnout). I plan to continue the core packages until she moves over to online classes/co-op/ dual enrollment through middle and high school.

• Like 3

I go through this every year, looking at Memoria Press and other packages that are so tempting......and Memoria is so pretty......

But the truth is, I could never do it.  I like picking out the subjects based on skill level and what he'd enjoy or goes in a direction I envision.  He is so asynchronous that it is hard to find a package that fits.

If you are scared to do your own thing, know that making lesson plans is EASY.  Most items come divided into 36 or 140-180 lessons anyway, so you plan weekly or daily.  Others will tell you straight up that it's meant to be used 2-3x a week (like ELTL), or come with a lesson plan ready for you.  I input them all into Skedtrack and voila!  I know exactly what we're doing and have subjects tailored to be done on certain days while other subjects are done every day.

Yes... sort of... but not really, IMO.

Spacing a lesson plan is easy. Selecting the right amount of curriculum at an appropriate level is hard, and then having the guts to say, "This is appropriate" even when things are somewhat overwhelming is hard.

For me, using a (somewhat) boxed curriculum has given me the reference point I need to know whether what I'm doing is the right amount. For new homeschoolers, especially, using a boxed curriculum for a few years can be really great, I think. 

Emily

• Like 3

I used pieces of 2nd and all of 3rd with middle DS and JrK and now K with third DS.  Last year, when we did MP3, was the best homeschool year as far as stuff getting done. It was manageable.  I did combine my oldest in Greek Myths and Latin.  I loved the plans; they made school manageable.

Here are pros and cons. I think you can get the same thing piecing good programs together, but I finally had to admit that it wasn't getting done.

Pros:

1. I work and needed something to take my decision fatigue away.  I've pieced together for years and just needed a break.

2. We were dealing with many special needs issues with 2 family members, and I couldn't deal with school. MP saved me!

3. I am confident that if my son can do MP3, his is at least 3rd grade or above.  I"m sure this is true with other boxes, but I like MP style.

4. I like that MP is non-denominational.  I like that they memorize prayers along with their address and months, etc.

5. The repetition that I always thought would bore my ADD son was exactly what he needed.

6. I love the Latin focus.  I may delay Prima Latina until 3rd, though, not 2nd.

7. I love the copywork, Christian Studies, Latin, recitation, enrichment, and literature.

8. I love the forum and customer service.

9. I love that MP supported Cheryl Swope in her Simply Classical curriculum.  It is a jewel and would have been so useful to me if it were there when I needed it.

Cons:

1. If your kids don't fit a level, the beautiful plans become harder to use.  You can buy parts individually and put it together.  That's what I'm about to do for spring

2. History is different for each child.  We will use the Famous Men series and SOTW, as well as other resources, on rotation as a family till they get to high school.

3. Spelling Workout doesn't sit well with me, unless the child is already a good speller. However, MP is coming out with their own spelling in January! YEAH!

4. Math - I haven't found a math I love, mostly because I'm a math teacher.  I finally put oldest in MUS because he can write on the page, it's doable pieces, and gets done daily.  DS2 uses Singapore and supplements.  It's okay, but not perfect.  DS3 is using R&S Math 1 per MPK plans, sort of.  I didn't teach him, just got him a hundred chart poster and he started learning.  He's ahead of the plans, so I only fill in what he hasn't learned and practice facts.  I think R&S is solid and mastery. If you like it, use it.

I'm learning that curriculum has to work for 2 people: the student AND you!!

Edited by mymommy1
  • Like 2

Let me start off by saying I love Memoria Press.  Their phonics is great and this is our second year using it.  I purchased full first and second grade cores this year.  I completed 13 weeks of lesson plans as written and now am tweaking.  My second grader fits perfectly in second grade boxes, but I still found writing in the lit guides unnecessary.  My first grader is reading chapter books, so the phonics is overkill and taking two weeks to read a picture book that she could read in 20 minutes is a waste of our time.  Also I was trying to just follow Rod and Staff math, which I do like, but I felt mathematical concepts were missing.  I always have liked Singapore as well, so the past two weeks I have tried mixing the two.  My son in second grade placed at 1b for SIngapore.  I love their latin.  So I will not do full grade packages again.  I also want to do history, geography and fine arts as a family.  I will always plan on using their phonics (except for my one son because I am pretty sure he is dyslexic, he's 4, so we'll cross that bridge in the fall).  They also just came out with their own spelling which looks great!  I will stick with their Latin, we are having great success this year.  I am trying to decide if I will use CAPs writing or Memoria Press.  Not to hijack your post but I'd take advice on that one.

I want to add something that is in the guides and forum, but unclear when looking at samples.

In the Highland Latin School where MP was created, students do the literature guide together.  They do NOT answer every single question in writing.  They do NOT do those alone.  The teacher discusses with the class.  Also, they read the passages TOGETHER, so the work load can look like a ton for one child.  You need to help them in the younger grades.  The teacher will pull the answers out, write the sentence on the board, discuss if it's a well-written sentence, then have students copy it into their guide.  Obviously, there isn't time to do this for every question.  Most people concentrate on the questions that will be on the tests and do the others orally.

Latin should all be done.  You could use the above procedure for science, classical, and Christian studies.

Finally, MP fits my little because he loves to draw and write and craft.  It wouldn't have fit my oldest because he needed more hands-on.  Simply Classical would have been near perfect.  They can always play and explore on their own time.  Example, after reading about Julius Caesar, on their own, they made togas to wear and Roman towns on Minecraft.

• Like 1

Yes... sort of... but not really, IMO.

Spacing a lesson plan is easy. Selecting the right amount of curriculum at an appropriate level is hard, and then having the guts to say, "This is appropriate" even when things are somewhat overwhelming is hard.

For me, using a (somewhat) boxed curriculum has given me the reference point I need to know whether what I'm doing is the right amount. For new homeschoolers, especially, using a boxed curriculum for a few years can be really great, I think.

Emily

Not only that but sure you can divide things up by 180 days or whatever but no school ever finished it all, AND some sections are just more difficult, AND we all need a break from time to time to allow for interests.

Thank you everyone! You've given me a lot to think about.  I almost bought the whole kinder package over the summer when I was at a conference, but I decided to just use what I already had.  Then a few weeks into the year, I wished I had bought it, so I ordered the K guide, and I do like the look of it- but I don't know if I'm ready to switch over 100%!

I thought it would make life easier to have something completely planned out because I am tired- he is child #4- but I'm not sure I LOVE all the choices for every year, and if I start changing a subject here or there, then I won't have the simplicity of a planned out program. 

Math and Writing/Grammar are the two main subjects I'm not sure about.  I like R&S math, I'm just not sure it's the right fit for this kid.  And I've always thought the writing program looked confusing, but I've never tried to use it.

It seems piecing things together will probably be a better fit, but I really want to order that very pretty MP core! : )

I've looked at it often. But it never feels like it'll fit my kids. And I want to do my own thing for math and LA. So...mostly I want it for extra history (because I want to stick with a 4 year cycle for our main) and then maybe some science. I don't want to do Ecclesiastical Latin. So... I invested in the read aloud program for my youngest kid and that's as much enrichment from them as I can hack. And that sounds good. Lol

We used full cores a few years ago and loved them.  After that I decided to combine the kids for content subjects and do more notebooking, so for two years we only used MP for Latin and Classical Composition.  This year I decided to go back to the full cores and am very glad that I did.  The subjects are so easy to use and I love that we only hit certain things once a week, giving us more time to focus on the basics.  I also really appreciate the mastery approach of MP versus just giving exposure to various topics.  My kids remember a lot of what they learn, more than they did with our notebooking methods.

Obviously it won't be a hit for everyone, and sometimes you need to just try something before you know whether it is a fit.  I do regret buying the Jr K package because that level is something that I can easily do on my own with no plans.  I'm not planning on buying kindergarten either.  I will use First Start Reading, but just go at our own pace.  

We already use Rod & Staff for math, and prefer it for English, too.  

Here is a blog post I wrote last July about why we went back to using full cores this year.

• Like 1

I love MP. I use complete cores minus math, spelling and grammar. I also make some changes to science using only the MP written books plus the Novare books they use.

I find it very easy to customize my packages. None of my kids fit perfectly into their packages as listed. I use their plans as a guide. I find most of their materials are very easy to schedule without plans.

We are in our 5th year using MP - our 4th year using mostly complete cores.

Edited by SevenDaisies

I love a great deal about MP.  It is currently our spine. 

First grade is, I think, pretty terrific.  It is especially good at ensuring the child is reading and writing well: it was great for my writing-resistant child.  You do not have to be doing all the writing assigned when you start the year, but by the end of it the child should be able to do assigned writing (except literature -- see the above post on that one).  If you don't finish all of a day's work, you just don't check it off -- the next day, either decide to skip the undone work or just pick up where you left off. 

That said, we were already doing All About Reading so we kept it for our phonics program, and I preferred All About Spelling to the Spelling Workout; but the new spelling may be much better, esp. if you use the MP reading program too. 

If you have experience with R&S math, then you will have a good feel for it.  I do notice that many more MP children (who have used Rod & Staff math) seem to struggle with the transition to pre-algebra and algebra than do children who have used Singapore (or MEP).  On the other hand if you use Singapore you will probably have to do extra work on drilling; I have been using our R&S books a bit "behind" to provide drill practice. 

In general, the MP K-2 years seem just excellent, rigorous, and age-appropriate to me.  I wish I'd known about them when my older was starting out:

1.  my children are just too sensitive for Story of the World in 1st grade, and without history my efforts to do TWTM felt like they were floundering;

2.  my children also are writing-resistant and having firm expectations for written output has been very helpful;

3.  the memory work (including scripture memorization) is such a great element;

4. the read-alouds have been wonderful (much better than TWTM history-based suggestions or Sonlight, for us)

4.  the support on the forums and from MP itself is stellar.  These are terrific people. 

OTOH, if you stick with MP: I find the Famous Men series is really inaccurate often enough to require substantial re-teaching.  It has almost a flavor of propaganda: I believe that Famous Men of Rome starts out with a sentence about how the Latin people were exceptionally clever and brave.  The movement of the Visigoth people into the Roman Empire is fundamentally misunderstood by the author, and the presentation of Islam and of the Crusades is full of errors and biases and leaves one with a really skewed view (I read Asbridge's The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land as my primary corrective, so that I could teach this era better). 

and so on.

My concern here is not just for truth in history for its own sake.  America makes current policy decisions based on what American politicians and analysts believe about the invasion of the Visigoths (this was referenced during recent immigration law kerfuffles) and the history of the Crusades (immigration law, relationships with Muslim peoples and nations) and Memoria Press' Famous Men programs are perpetuating errors that have serious consequences.  The staff at MP seem to have a good understanding of the actual history, but many of the forum members do not (and they oughtn't have to -- this is why we homeschoolers use history books). 

On the other hand, most of the memory work from the series is outstanding and it gives great pegs.  So I'm trying to not toss the baby with the bath water, and use what I can. 

You won't hit Famous Men for a few years, though. 

Regarding the writing: I like the program's essentials but came to detest the models.  Some were terribly written: confusing or downright opaque.  And when we hit Chreia/Maxim my child both hated it and was being asked to defend Maxims that I didn't think he was qualified to defend.  So we're using Classical Writing + WTM-style writing: I try to sub out the written components of the workbooks with WTM summaries and outlines, and mainly we do the worksheet questions orally. 

Hope this is helpful.  I do usually suggest that folks try the cores, and then then switch what doesn't work.  Unless you already have a math or reading going that works well, in that case you may want to keep those for first grade.  I'd be hesitant to switch a successful math/reading for that age, myself. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Regarding the writing: I like the program's essentials but came to detest the models.  Some were terribly written: confusing or downright opaque.  And when we hit Chreia/Maxim my child both hated it and was being asked to defend Maxims that I didn't think he was qualified to defend.  So we're using Classical Writing + WTM-style writing: I try to sub out the written components of the workbooks with WTM summaries and outlines, and mainly we do the worksheet questions orally. 

I think I can understand what you mean by this.  We are doing Chreia/Maxim this year as well, and the samples given in the first few lessons were confusing to me as well.  I actually looked up other samples online so I could more fully wrap my brain around what we were accomplishing and why.  Once I understood where we were going and read further into the lessons, I became more appreciative of the teaching, the samples, and the approach itself.

We don't use the DVDs, which might possibly have made a difference early on.  We usually come up with our own ideas and often don't consult the samples unless we are stuck and need some inspiration for writing that paragraph.  Sometimes the samples are super helpful and beautifully done, and sometimes we like our own choices or interpretations better.  That is okay!  Classical education is about teaching students HOW to think, and if we are thinking along different lines than the teacher's guide, that is okay and sometimes even preferable.  I am happy with Classical Composition and have already purchased Refutation & Confirmation for next year.  I can't wait for it to arrive so I can look through it!

Having said all that, I feel that a formal writing program acts as almost as a supplement with all the other writing we are doing with MP.  In fact, I'm pretty sure Highlands Latin School did not even include a writing program in their earliest days.  Intense instruction in Latin, grammar, and excellent literature guides (which often include meaningful composition exercises) all work together to produce capable writers.  High school students are also studying Rhetoric, which I'm pretty sure is almost like a writing course.  

All that to say while I think CC is a very well done program that will yield good results, I don't consider it to be the "meat and potatoes" of our MP curriculum.  

• Like 1

We are using a complete core from Memoria Press this year and I loooooove it!   We are having a great school year.   Things feel very peaceful yet academically challenging at the same time.    I love how truth, beauty, and goodness are intertwined through every subject and throughout our day.    I was worried that my kids wouldn't like Memoria Press because of all of the "workbooks"*...but they are thriving.  They love the rhythm of the core guides and they love knowing what is expected of them each day.  

I put my 5th grader and 4th grader in 4th grade for new users.   We are using our own math program (Singapore/math mammoth) and our own spelling program (spelling plus).   Besides that, we are using the program exactly as written.  We do everything from the suggested opening prayer and recitation, to the poetry, to the map work, to the timeline.   I think the workload is very well balanced.   For example, if you are doing a composition piece in literature, they schedule a light day in CC, etc.   I also agree completely with what ALB wrote below concerning composition.   My kids are making leaps and bounds in their writing ability, and I think it is all of the writing they do throughout the curriculum.   I am careful to always grade their work carefully and insist on neatness/proper spelling.   (Because, as Mrs. Lowe says in one of the guides, 'children will rise to whatever standards you set'....or something like that.  She probably said it much more eloquently.)   

Having said all that, I feel that a formal writing program acts as almost as a supplement with all the other writing we are doing with MP.  In fact, I'm pretty sure Highlands Latin School did not even include a writing program in their earliest days.  Intense instruction in Latin, grammar, and excellent literature guides (which often include meaningful composition exercises) all work together to produce capable writers.  High school students are also studying Rhetoric, which I'm pretty sure is almost like a writing course.  

All that to say while I think CC is a very well done program that will yield good results, I don't consider it to be the "meat and potatoes" of our MP curriculum.  

Some tips I have:

1)  I purchased a guide for each of my kids.  They use this as their checklist.  The guides are very reasonably priced IMHO.  (We are ex-sonlight users...so I am shocked by how reasonably priced the IGs are!)  There...lesson planning DONE!  :)  They know that it is their responsibility to get that list done each day.  

2)  I used white-out to erase the day names at the top (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday).   Instead, I wrote a countdown to the end of the school year.  (Day 165, Day 164, Day 163, etc.)   This gives us peace.  I don't stress about trying to cram 5 days of school in each week.    If there is sickness or a holiday or a fun field trip opportunity, we take the day off.  Then we do the next day.   The kids like seeing that number get smaller as the school year goes on.  (My instagram account has pictures:  https://www.instagram.com/p/BapQ1J9BJQC/)

3)  I put an address label over the rod and staff math and spelling since we are not doing that.   I replaced those with our own math and spelling assignment.   This way everything is in one place.

4)  Each child has a 10 drawer craft cart to store all of our GORGEOUS memoria press books.   I keep all of my teacher guides in an ikea raskog cart.   This way everything has a place and we don't lose time looking for books.  I put a label on each cart that follows the order the subjects on the checklist.

5)  We do ALL of the writing in Memoria Press.   I know that most people do some of it orally (they even do this at HLS I guess), but I never told my kids this was an option.  hehehe I feel like the writing has been SO good for them.   It is NOT busy work.   

6)  I also give feedback directly on their checklist.  I grade their work and anything that needs correcting gets written on their checklist for the next day.  (Ex:  Fix Latin workbook, etc.)  

*I put workbooks in quotes because Memoria Press "workbooks" are very different than what most people think of when they hear the word workbook.   When I hear the word workbook, I think of books filled with busy work used in many progressive classrooms.   MP workbooks are very different.  There is no "busy work".   And they make giving your child a classical education at home very easy.

Edited by TheAttachedMama
  • Like 3