Menu

What's with the ads?

PrincessMommy

S/O - what was the first thing you ever bought on Amazon?

Dawn's thread about the total amount spent on Amazon got me thinking about what I first bought on Amazon.

On Jan. 23, 1998 I bought; "Flight of the Shadow." by G. MacDonald. -  It was a great book.  I think I may have read it 2x and I know I still have it because I have such fond memories of reading it. 

I looked through a couple of years worth of buying...such memories.  I was still homeschooling then, so a lot of book choices revolved around that.  Plus some movies and audio cassettes (mostly Adventures in Odyssey).  I also began my inquiry and conversion to Eastern Orthodoxy - so suddenly a lot of books about church history start appearing.   :laugh: .   

But also a lot of books I don't even remember reading.  I think some must have been gifts for other people.  But there's one in particular about Alfred the Great, which I'm sure was for me.  I don't even remember reading it, and I'm sure I no longer own it.  Now it costs $225 new!!   It make me wonder how many books I bought and still haven't gotten around to reading them.  :crying:

• Like 1

My first purchase was Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic Series (original series not the reboot) in the special box set with the cylon helmet shape.  That was 2003.  We still have it.  :)

ETA: In fact, I remember being so uncomfortable ordering from them but I couldn't find it locally and I knew that DH wanted it for Christmas.  I forced myself to make the purchase.  LOL  That purchase finally got me over my discomfort regarding Amazon (I can't remember why I had an aversion to Amazon) and led me down the path of the dark side.  JK.  

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 1

I was late to the online shopping thing - my first purchase on Amazon was in 2004 - Apples to Apples Jr. 

I have since made up for it. :)

Most of my purchases in the following years were books - just like you they remind me of our homeschooling years  :crying: it's bittersweet looking through all of the book orders. 

Nowadays its mostly gifts and household stuff. 

• Like 1

Wow, this was enlightening.  It was 2002 and I purchased a Cindy Crawford workout VHS tape.  I am pretty sure we would have had a dvd player then, right?  I guess not. Scratching my head.

• Like 1

Wow, this was enlightening.  It was 2002 and I purchased a Cindy Crawford workout VHS tape.  I am pretty sure we would have had a dvd player then, right?  I guess not. Scratching my head.

:lol:

• Like 2

Miffy at the Zoo by Dick Bruna for my then six-month old firstborn. He will be 20 in three weeks. So will the book...which is still on our shelves (despite being completely worn through and taped back together multiple times). 

• Like 2

Well, that dredged up a lot.

You can kind of sketch out my life from my purchases.  First purchase was in 1998, our first Christmas as a married couple.  I bought a book about building a nature photography business as a gift for my husband.

It slowly builds up year by year.  Work-related books give way to books about infertility and toys for other peoples' children.  A few years in the adoption books start showing up.  A gift card to someone I have NO memory of.  Still, only a few orders a year.

Last year: 47 orders.  Many of them gifts for the kids, rehab stuff for DD after her injury, some homeschool stuff, some medical supplies for my step-dad.  

It's so weird being able to trace my married life through amazon purchases.

• Like 1

Just looked it up. In January of 2000 I bought a John Grisham book I have no recollection of reading and a sewing reference book that I still use.

I never, ever buy fiction books, I wonder if it was a gift?

I’m sure it was a book because I’m pretty sure at one time that’s all Amazon sold.

yeah... seems like a distant memory, but that is all they sold at one time. 

• Like 1

I didn't start ordering through an account until 2010 (if you can believe that), but I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that my first purchase was in 2002, and that it was probably a book (because that's about all they sold back then).

• Like 1

A text book for grad school in 2001. The previous year I had ordered a book through the book store which took forever, and by the time the book came in the class was pretty much over, so this time I decided to try this new online ordering thing. I remember being so pleased with how quickly the book came right to my door.

My first orders were around Christmas time, 1999. First order was a magnetic forest set book and two packages of markers that came in a very cool carrying case. My two oldest carried those back and forth everywhere for years until the zippers broke.

Started homeschooling in 2000 as evidenced by the WTM-recommended books in my order history.