Menu

Latin for Children Question

calihil

My 3rd grader is in a Classical Christian school right now and they are using Song School Latin this year. She seems to really be enjoying that so I'd like to continue Latin next year when I bring her home to home school. I know there is a SSL 2, but if it is up to me to teach everything, I know it won't get done (already tried Song School Spanish last year, it was a flop lol) so I'm considering Latin for Children. Is it a "stand alone" program or is SSL 2 a pre-requisite?

SSL2 is not a pre-requisite. We did SSL2 which is about 3x as thick as SSL1. It is a step up and introduces some grammar in there. If you do SSL2, it gives you a step up going into LFC as you will have a lot of the beginning vocab.

I have the whole program for LFC, but I opted to do the LFC class with Schole Academy. He loves that class. Wilson Hill also offers LFC, but it didn't work for our time zone. So if you are thinking about outsourcing it, that's an option as well. I could have taught it to him, but I just didn't see myself inspiring him to love Latin. His teacher's love for Latin comes through, and he says it is one of his favorite subjects.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

As prior posters mentioned, SSL 2 is not required for LFC A. There are some vocabulary words, and some grammar concepts, that are repeated from SSL2 in the first couple of chapters of LFCA.

This is just my opinion, but last summer I bought a used copy of the Latin for Teachers video seminar and I really really wish I had watched it before I started teaching LFC A.  There were a lot of tips in it that have been helpful.  Some things I sort of knew, but was not enforcing like I should. For instance, the macrons. I didn't enforce that the macrons needed to be written where marked.  Also, the teacher on the Latin for Teachers video had some fun songs for learning the declensions.  Anyway, it might be something that you can borrow and watch? It's not a whole lot of video--maybe 2-2.5 hours per book (It covers A, B and C).  

Also, Quizlet is your friend. Find the flashcards others have made up and use those if you want.  I am partial to Sheldon_Perkins LFC A sets.

Is there a reason you think SSL2 would not happen but LFC would? They are set up in a very similar way so you may have the same problems. Each has A cd component, DVD lesson, reader, and a workbook. They are both stand alone but maybe not child completely independent. My girls can mostly get the work part done by themselves but they need help playing the right videos, chants, and setting a schedule for the workbook/reader.

Something to think about--while SSL2 does introduce some grammar, it is not as grammar heavy as LFC A.  So you might want to look at this in that way. If your child will not have covered parsing sentences (identifying Subject, action verb, direct object, etc.) yet, then LFCA might be more challenging.  We started it in 4th/5th and had already covered FLL4.