Menu

German on Netflix

Matryoshka

So the other day dd19 decided to rent a creepy movie in German (Das weisse Band), and for some reason that put all the kids in the mood to watch more German.

Today we found a ridiculous mid-grade/teen movie starring Bibi Blocksberg the witch and her friend Tina (from an animated show where they're much younger).  Like Disney channel level silly.  We laughed and laughed because we remembered the animated show which was also pretty silly.  I actually had banned the animated show when they were little because one of my older ones started saying "Hex-hex" to the younger and it made her cry.   This one is very recent - there was a guy working on rebuilding the castle with a higher wall named... Trumpf.   

And this evening we hit the gold mine with a new (well last year) live-action/CGI Christmas special staring Pettersson und Findus.   :wub:  We have all the animated stuff on DVD and that was one of the kids' favorites.  

The thing is, if you don't know they're there, you'd never find them.  Anyone know of any other good German stuff on Netflix?  One can watch many Netflix originals dubbed in German, but it's also fun to find actual German stuff.  My kids are 19 and 17 now, so I'll take any good stuff, not just for kids.  They haven't shown this much interest in German in ages. :)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

On the TV (at least, on the Netflix app on Apple TV), if you click on the magnifying glass (for searching), and then type 'German', then in the left-hand column there should be a list of options: German, German-Language Movies & TV, German-Language Movies, German Movies, German TV Shows, etc. You can also try this with 'Austrian', etc. 

• Like 1

Not for kids but I’m told Berlin Babylon is coming Jan 31.

There’s a series being called “German ‘Stranger Things’†called I believe Dark.

I haven’t watched any of these. Now if someone could start the French equivalent of this thread pretty please!

http://foreignlanguagecollective.com/20-movies-watch-learning-german/

On the TV (at least, on the Netflix app on Apple TV), if you click on the magnifying glass (for searching), and then type 'German', then in the left-hand column there should be a list of options: German, German-Language Movies & TV, German-Language Movies, German Movies, German TV Shows, etc. You can also try this with 'Austrian', etc. 

Yay!!   :hurray:   How did I not know this?  Works like a charm!  

Not for kids but I’m told Berlin Babylon is coming Jan 31.

There’s a series being called “German ‘Stranger Things’†called I believe Dark.

I haven’t watched any of these. Now if someone could start the French equivalent of this thread pretty please!

http://foreignlanguagecollective.com/20-movies-watch-learning-german/

What is Berlin Babylon?  Sounds interesting...

Meanwhile, we found and watched the first episode of Dark.  Seems nothing like Stranger Things to me, the tone is much more like Les revenants, speaking of French series...  we watched that on Netflix a while back.  If it's still there, I'd recommend that for French - if the kids are old enough for dark and creepy... ;)  Should go back and finish that one... it did get creepier and creepier, though...

And thanks for the list of German movies - I've watched a bunch of them, but a bunch of others are new to me.  And at least some of them are not about WWII!  (ongoing problem with both German movies and literature... I feel like I am a bit saturated...)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Yay!!   :hurray:   How did I not know this?  Works like a charm!  

What is Berlin Babylon?  Sounds interesting...

Meanwhile, we found and watched the first episode of Dark.  Seems nothing like Stranger Things to me, the tone is much more like Les revenants, speaking of French series...  we watched that on Netflix a while back.  If it's still there, I'd recommend that for French - if the kids are old enough for dark and creepy... ;)  Should go back and finish that one... it did get creepier and creepier, though...

And thanks for the list of German movies - I've watched a bunch of them, but a bunch of others are new to me.  And at least some of them are not about WWII!  (ongoing problem with both German movies and literature... I feel like I am a bit saturated...)

Hi, I don't watch Stranger Things or Dark, but the headlines compared those two so I just repeated ;)

Babylon Berlin (I mistyped before) is a period series, and the most expensive series made not in English. It has been airing in Europe but Netflix has picked it up and I am told it starts airing Jan 31. I don't speak German and watch very little TV but I am looking forward to it. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/07/arts/television/sex-drugs-and-crime-in-the-gritty-drama-babylon-berlin.html?module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=Television&action=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article 

So both Dark and Les Revenants are rated TV-MA. Those that have watched, are they really that? I was thinking of letting DS and DH watch Dark but while we have done the random R rated movie, we are not ready for the TV-MA yet :)

Well, the very first episode has a nekkid sex scene. Not super long or explicit, but people aren't you cold? Use a blanket!

I don't recall Les Revenants having so much skin, but there is sex, including once with a young teen (with another young teen).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Well, the very first episode has a nekkid sex scene. Not super long or explicit, but people aren't you cold? Use a blanket!

I don't recall Les Revenants having so much skin, but there is sex, including once with a young teen (with another young teen).

By way of update,DH watched one episode of Dark and doesn’t think DS ready.

I’m still making my way through the first, yes, first episode of Les Revenants...it’s not my genre okay! :)

By way of update,DH watched one episode of Dark and doesn’t think DS ready.

I’m still making my way through the first, yes, first episode of Les Revenants...it’s not my genre okay! :)

We've been watching a lot of Dark this week, and there has been no more nekkid sex... one more scene, but just implied and not shown.  But lots of creepiness... and teens making bad choices.  Definitely older teen stuff, I'd think (watching it with a 19yo here...)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did they already learn German before or are they learning German through the Netflix movies? I wanna learn German too but I am a super beginner. I don't really know where to start besides DuoLingo and I don't have anyone to practice German with!

My kids went to German Saturday School for years, so their German is quite good.  But if you want to self-teach, Duolingo isn't a bad starting point if you're self-motivated and keep it up.  From there, for adult self-study, there are some interesting things online, and there are of course texts you can get at B&N.  For listening practice, maybe after you've played with Duolingo, watching German shows with the English subtitles to start can be an intermediary step.  I think News in Slow... has  a German version, too.

• Like 1

My kids went to German Saturday School for years, so their German is quite good.  But if you want to self-teach, Duolingo isn't a bad starting point if you're self-motivated and keep it up.  From there, for adult self-study, there are some interesting things online, and there are of course texts you can get at B&N.  For listening practice, maybe after you've played with Duolingo, watching German shows with the English subtitles to start can be an intermediary step.  I think News in Slow... has  a German version, too.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I am starting on DuoLingo but because of work stuff, I am not able to practice daily. Maybe an hour a day only and sometimes not at all. Anyway, I also bought a German book so I can maybe read and do exercises when I commute. Wish me luck!!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I am starting on DuoLingo but because of work stuff, I am not able to practice daily. Maybe an hour a day only and sometimes not at all. Anyway, I also bought a German book so I can maybe read and do exercises when I commute. Wish me luck!!

For commuting time, you could always try something old-fashioned like Pimseleur or something like it. :)