Menu

Anyone planning crafting or fiber arts projects for 2018?

Jenny in Florida

I really love the shape and structure that long-term projects give to my crafting life. And now that I'm not elbow deep in being a full-time mom anymore, I have lots more time and attention to devote to them.

One thing I know I have going this year is a kind of hybrid work/personal project. I will be facilitating a "granny square of the month" series at work, which means I'll be choosing the patterns and hosting a workshop every month. As part of that, I'll be working alongside the students and will end up making my own squares. So, at the end of the year, I should have enough to assemble a nice lap-sized afghan. I toyed with the idea of making it a gift for one of my kids, but I think I've decided it is destined for our living room.

I'm also noodling around with the idea of adapting the weather scarf or mood scarf idea (where you knit or crochet a single row each day) to reflect what I'm reading. I'm thinking I could choose a color of yarn to represent each of the broad genres of books I read and knit a row each day based on whatever I'm reading at the moment. Still working out the details of that plan, but the idea is growing on me.

Anyone else planning anything you're especially excited about?

• Like 10

I started quilting back in November and made lap quilts for many of my family members (mom, dad&step mom, children) Dad and step mom liked it so much that now they have commissioned matching pillows (and I'm throwing in a mixed media piece of art that "goes" with it).  My sister LOVED the quilt I made my mom so I'll be making her one too.  I've started weaving scarfs but it's slow going (I have peripheral neuropathy)  but what I'm the most excited about is my peg loom and the white and grey fabric I bought to make a runner rug for our new place.  I'm hoping to start it after the new year.  I'll also be making pillows and curtains but they're nowhere near as much fun.

• Like 7

I've been collecting tee shirts from DS's fencing competitions for the last few years and plan to make them into a quilt he can take to college next fall. I also want to get back into knitting. I have a bunch of unfinished projects, and I also want to make DS a hat and scarf in school colors, and maybe make DD a quilt or afghan for her room.

• Like 6

My SIL has gotten into felting, and it's probably the first fiber arts project that sounds interesting to me.  I want to schedule a day to spend with her this spring (we live some miles apart and that's the soonest I could make it work) to observe and work with her.  I think a couple of my dd's would like to do it too.  She orders big packages of wool, and then works it to turn it into beautiful blankets.  

• Like 6

I love this thread. I need to insist that I make time for my creative arts.

I want to finish some sweaters I’m knitting, including one for myself that I call the brain-breaking sweater because its cable pattern is so complex. I still want to make knitted Christmas countdown ornaments. I want to knit and sew some tiny hats and outfits for the NICU. I just need to make it happen.

• Like 8

I wanted to learn how to do felting.  The stuff I've seen just looks so beautiful. 

My loom is still in pieces from our move back in Nov.  Now that school and Christmas are done for now, I hope to get it back together and start working on it again.  I was so busy with out stuff I haven't really woven anything since last summer.  I kept something on my loom for house showings while it was for sale, but we weren't actually living at the house then, so I didn't really do much.

• Like 8

I have some friends who put on a juried fiber art exhibit each fall. I used to have a piece in it every year, but it has been probably 10 years since I participated. I want to create a piece for that show this year. I have an idea forming with a tree and revolution and love, but it’s still very vague in my head. I need to start sketching.

I want to complete a knitting project. I have messed around with knitting. I want to make a scarf so I have completed something. High school soccer season is coming up, and I think knitting might be a good distraction during games. (Although maybe i should not have sharp objects around the other soccer parents.)

I got a cricut for Christmas, and I want to do some fun things with it. Two friends also got them, so we are going to be playing together.

Finally, a lot of years ago, I made an art quilt of a tree and the leaves were made from my DBIL’s Army uniforms. He has asked me to make leaves from his more recent uniforms to add to the tree.

• Like 4

I'm a quilter and want to finish some sampler blocks this month. I took a class and had a tough time keeping up. Mid-month I have a machine quilting class, and I hope to use the skills I learn there to finish a table topper I made last summer.

Then in February, I'm going to start on a quilt I'm making for my oldest. He'll be gone for five months for Army National Guard training. My guild has a local retreat the first weekend in February, so that's going to be my time to get it started.

• Like 5

I'm a knitter and always have several projects going. I would like to finish a couple sweaters that have been languishing on the back burner. I also want to try quilting and also learn to sew a basic dress this year. 

I bought a Craftsy class about sewing basics - https://www.craftsy.com/sewing/classes/startup-library-sewing/475131 and hopefully it will inspire me enough to actually finish something. 

• Like 5

I'm not a crafter but have said for years I'd love to learn to quilt. I thought about biting the bullet and participating in the block a month project at the sewing shop. I keep thinking I need a big plan but I tend to try to do too much (a tendency I've been working on changing).

I'd really like to build some furniture too and have looked longingly at Anna White's site for years, I think I've finally came up with a basic enough project I feel confident that I can do it, a bench! All it requires is staining (as I have a pre-cut board) and screwing on the legs, not much but a start. Past that I am thinking about attempting a book shelf, I have a space I'd love one in. OH, and lastly the big one a new longer dining room table and bench (Ana White has some beginner plans I'm eyeing).

Edited by soror
  • Like 7

I'm participating in an online UFO group (American Patchwork & Quilting, on FB, open to all fiber artists not just quilters), where you make a list of 12 UFOs and they draw a number once/month and you work on that project that month. I have only a few actual UFOs, but a few "need to start" projects on the list that I'm looking forward to. 

One is that my grandma gave me a small handful of t-shirts that belonged to my late uncle, for me to use however I'd like (and keep the result). I'd like, though, to figure out a way to split them and make a small lap quilt for my grandparents and for my dad & aunt (possibly the 3rd sibling as well, but we shall see), and hopefully enough left over for one for me, too. The t-shirts would end up as accents, because there just aren't enough of them to go around, but I think it is still something everyone would appreciate, if I can pull it off. 

The other biggie is that in the 2nd half of 2018 my middle son will become a senior and it will be time to start his graduation quilt. I've been planning that one for a while, originally as just an idea but recently decided it makes the perfect graduation quilt for him, so that's what it will be. I'm going to do a spin on a bookshelf quilt, but fill in with applique'd scenes from favorite books, with the bottom shelf being children's stories and the top shelf being the most mature stuff (mature like LOTR, not mature like rated R, LOL!), and the shelves between basically going up through his childhood/adolescence. I need to settle on what books/series for him, and what scenes to depict.....

Beyond that, I also have a few patterns I'd like to make, but not sure that 2018 will be the year for them or not. I want to make Gravity (but am going to reverse mine, somehow...) and Gypsy Wife, but those are both pretty intense and we shall see. A friend/customer that requests custom quilts from me has mentioned wanting another, and that will take a lot of time, so.....we'll see. Always I have more on my "to do" list than time to do it, so.......

• Like 6

I'm participating in an online UFO group (American Patchwork & Quilting, on FB, open to all fiber artists not just quilters), where you make a list of 12 UFOs and they draw a number once/month and you work on that project that month. I have only a few actual UFOs, but a few "need to start" projects on the list that I'm looking forward to.

One is that my grandma gave me a small handful of t-shirts that belonged to my late uncle, for me to use however I'd like (and keep the result). I'd like, though, to figure out a way to split them and make a small lap quilt for my grandparents and for my dad & aunt (possibly the 3rd sibling as well, but we shall see), and hopefully enough left over for one for me, too. The t-shirts would end up as accents, because there just aren't enough of them to go around, but I think it is still something everyone would appreciate, if I can pull it off.

The other biggie is that in the 2nd half of 2018 my middle son will become a senior and it will be time to start his graduation quilt. I've been planning that one for a while, originally as just an idea but recently decided it makes the perfect graduation quilt for him, so that's what it will be. I'm going to do a spin on a bookshelf quilt, but fill in with applique'd scenes from favorite books, with the bottom shelf being children's stories and the top shelf being the most mature stuff (mature like LOTR, not mature like rated R, LOL!), and the shelves between basically going up through his childhood/adolescence. I need to settle on what books/series for him, and what scenes to depict.....

Beyond that, I also have a few patterns I'd like to make, but not sure that 2018 will be the year for them or not. I want to make Gravity (but am going to reverse mine, somehow...) and Gypsy Wife, but those are both pretty intense and we shall see. A friend/customer that requests custom quilts from me has mentioned wanting another, and that will take a lot of time, so.....we'll see. Always I have more on my "to do" list than time to do it, so.......

What an amazing idea for your son’s quilt! Please post a picture when you finish!

• Like 2

I have so many projects planned. I have several fleece waiting to be washed and dyed and spun. I have a tapestry weaving on a loom that I haven’t worked on in a year.

I have just started free motion embroidery and I’m starting a quilt with some embroidered blocks from a friend’s sketches.

I just need to renew my plan to work a little on some project every day.

• Like 5

I have two crocheted Afghans on the hook right now. No knitting projects, but probably some household sewing as well. And I really need to start spinning again, it’s just been a rough few years to get out the wheel when I’m always holding a small person or sitting in front of the TV in a coma at 10 pm ;)

That's how I have been about my spinning. With a toddler right now it is impossible lol.

Edited by OrganicJen
  • Like 1

Primarily a quilter, I have several projects to complete in 2018. I'm halfway through a block of the month program so that will be easy to finish. Also doing an exchange quilt with my sister and two of our friends. We each make four identical blocks a month- keep one and send one to each of the others. At the end we'll have enough for a quilt. We're in month two and I'm enjoying this. Also hope to finish a few UFOs that are taunting me.

I'll make at least two Quilts of Valor this year, and more if I can. I have a couple of unfinished embroidery projects to complete.

New to me: I'm adding art to my bullet journal. I've started designing pages and I'm enjoying it.

Also new: I'm starting some woodworking projects. I've gained some skills doing household renovation and furniture refinishing over the past couple of years and want to try my hand at some real woodworking. We have the tools, I have experienced people to go to for help, and I hope I can make progress.

I really enjoy reading about all your projects and goals!!!

• Like 7

I often make baby blankets for our local pregnancy care clinic. However, I just joined a group that is making yarn items for fire survivors in our area of CA. So, lots of scarves, hats, and needing a pattern to crochet wristwarmers/fingerless gloves. This goes along with lots of TV watching, unfortunately. Too bad you can't crochet and exercise at the same time!

• Like 5

I just learned to knit this fall, and I cast on a cardigan for myself this afternoon. I have a spring/fall sweater in mind for after the cardigan is finished, but first a pair of mittens with a hummingbird motif for my mother's birthday in February. I'm praying that my brother and his wife finally get pregnant this year, so I have a list of baby knitting I'm hoping to do this summer.

I'll be moving the youngest and his crib out of my room in a few months and would like to set up my sewing machine and serger in a corner of my bedroom. I have totes full of fabric and plenty of plans for clothing for myself and my boys.

• Like 4

I am going to get my first block of the month quilt starting in February. I am excited by that. I have another quilt that I need to make as well. I also have a third quilt that just needs to be basted, quilted and bound. I am also working with my oldest who wants to learn to quilt. 

Aside from that, I am sure I will be making clothing for my boys and probably a few for someone that we foster. Last placement I made 2 blankets and a sweater for. So I am sure whomever we get next will get at least a blanket if not more (probably much, much more). 

• Like 6

What an amazing idea for your son’s quilt! Please post a picture when you finish!

Well, it won't be for a very long time (he isn't a senior until next school year, so graduates in May 2019), but definitely when I finish I'll post. Assuming it turns out. LOL! It'll take me the whole school year, most likely, to work on it.....

• Like 2

I don't have an long term projects but my latest obsession is knitting up those messy hair hats that you can pull your pony tail through. A friend asked for one for Christmas and they are so much fun to knit I just keep making them!

So you sent me off to google messy hair hats. I found this https://knithacker.com/2016/12/everyones-going-crazy-for-knit-and-crochet-ponytail-hats-aka-messy-bun-beanie-free-patterns/ and have added about 20 patterns to my Ravelry account. Almost wish I had discovered these before Christmas...... So cute. Maybe I will make some. But that quilt is waiting for me.....

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 2

This is a fun thread! Right now I’m finishing up the 2017 jimmy Beans craftvent calendar project. Anyone else do that? That should be done in the next day or 2. I had to wait a week or so for the booster pack.

I am also finishing a crocheted yarn bomb for a light post. There will be 150 poles decorated locally for our winter carnival. Knit, crochet, quilted. I can’t wait to see them,

I am teaching kids knit/crochet this winter. I need mittens so I may crank out a couple pair. I took a couple wet felting workshops this year and I’d love more time to play with that. Next open weekend day may go to that. I have a partial pair of slippers I need to finish up. Considering making an aphgan for my junior for college. Maybe a Hogwarts blanket. 😀

• Like 3

I started a rubber stamping project for my SIL in the fall that I hope to continue thru the rest of the year.

She loves to decorate for the holidays and she is very organized about it. She changes out seasonal decor all year round in a timely way all over her house and yard.

BUT...I noticed this one spot in her hallway where she COULD hang something but there is nothing there. So I thought: Wouldn't it be fun to make a framed rubber stamped piece for each season for her? I thought about it all summer and every time we were at her house, I'd look and measure the space with my arm :lol:

Finally, in October, I started a Halloween project. And I didn't finish it until Nov 3rd or so! :svengo:

I took it to her anyways and she just loved it. Yay! It is always stressful to give a homemade gift and then wonder if the recipient will like it.

I made November's/Thanksgiving's project right away and brought it over the next week. And I gave her the Christmas project on Thanksgiving.

Now I am working on Winter But Not Christmas...And I am "behind" bc I wanted to give it to her before now.

I'm planning on: Valentine's, Spring/Easter, Summer, Independence Day, and Fall/Autumn (which might be hard bc many of my Fall stamps are in the Halloween and Thanksgivng category).

The project "formula" is:

Eighteen (18) 2-inch squares decorated and placed in a frame that measures 12 inches x 22 inches (approximately).

Color theme of approximately 4 colors.

One pack of patterned paper that matches color theme.

I found if I limit myself to these guidelines, it goes much faster and I have to be more creative. So instead of finding the "perfect paper" I spend my time playing/creating with what I have to make the squares pretty and interesting.

I have many different styles of stamps...from whimsical to realistic to modern/graphic but by keeping the colors and papers limited, all the 18 squares look cohesive.

I've been buying stamp sets and paper for 20+ years so I have everything I needed to work with. I only have bought the frames and adhesive.

• Like 5

I am going to try to learn to crochet so that I can do a weather scarf, too! I am also REALLY interested in needle felting. I love watching it done; there is something so soothingly tactile about it I can't explain. lol And so many cute little animals to make!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPhQCu7m2Uk

OMGosh! I hate you! J/K!

But...those little owls! I want!

• Like 1

I *love* this!! I'm swimming in UFOs at present. Let's just say that I love buying fabrics and starting projects, but finishing is not my strong point.  :blush:  In case anyone is like me, and not on FB, here's a link to a website with the info for the UFO challenge.

• Like 3

This project sounds so cool. What a great idea.

I started a rubber stamping project for my SIL in the fall that I hope to continue thru the rest of the year.

She loves to decorate for the holidays and she is very organized about it. She changes out seasonal decor all year round in a timely way all over her house and yard.

BUT...I noticed this one spot in her hallway where she COULD hang something but there is nothing there. So I thought: Wouldn't it be fun to make a framed rubber stamped piece for each season for her? I thought about it all summer and every time we were at her house, I'd look and measure the space with my arm :lol:

Finally, in October, I started a Halloween project. And I didn't finish it until Nov 3rd or so! :svengo:

I took it to her anyways and she just loved it. Yay! It is always stressful to give a homemade gift and then wonder if the recipient will like it.

I made November's/Thanksgiving's project right away and brought it over the next week. And I gave her the Christmas project on Thanksgiving.

Now I am working on Winter But Not Christmas...And I am "behind" bc I wanted to give it to her before now.

I'm planning on: Valentine's, Spring/Easter, Summer, Independence Day, and Fall/Autumn (which might be hard bc many of my Fall stamps are in the Halloween and Thanksgivng category).

The project "formula" is:

Eighteen (18) 2-inch squares decorated and placed in a frame that measures 12 inches x 22 inches (approximately).

Color theme of approximately 4 colors.

One pack of patterned paper that matches color theme.

I found if I limit myself to these guidelines, it goes much faster and I have to be more creative. So instead of finding the "perfect paper" I spend my time playing/creating with what I have to make the squares pretty and interesting.

I have many different styles of stamps...from whimsical to realistic to modern/graphic but by keeping the colors and papers limited, all the 18 squares look cohesive.

I've been buying stamp sets and paper for 20+ years so I have everything I needed to work with. I only have bought the frames and adhesive.

• Like 1