Menu

What are you having for New Year's Eve food?

SparklyUnicorn

I have invited 20 people for a party at 7pm. I have not received a single RSVP yet. It's 10am.

We will prepare quiche, onion tart, cranberry crumble, carrot fritters, cheese and veggies. We may eat it all tonight if people show up, or last for the entire next week if they don't.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

NYE is always fondue night at our house, so cheese fondue for dinner and chocolate fondue for dessert. Since this year, we're having a rather large (for a fondue night, for us, 14 people) gathering, we're making 2 different cheese fondues (3 pots, good thing I just gave college girl her own fondue pot for Christmas, because we need it tonight) and both chocolate and caramel dessert fondues. Mmmmmm.

Appetizers are sausage balls and veggie trays. 

Drinks are whatever folks want . . . I'm making limoncello + champagne cocktails and Cosmopolitans. Folks who want something else will have choices of wine and various other things or can make whatever they want with whatever they can find, lol.

I better get cracking on shredding all that cheese, lol.

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 2

Homemade chili, biscuits, chips ahoy cookies, and Sprite :huh:

Yesterday's conversation with DS14:

Him: "Mom, can I get together with my friends New Year's Eve to play Magic?" (Magic, the Gathering, is their go-to card game.)

Me: "Sure!" (Assumes they have plans to gather at someone else's house since they have already spent several days of break playing and eating here.)

Him: "Great! They will be here from 5 until midnight. Maybe you can make..." See menu above.

On the upside, DH and I won't have to drive out at midnight to pick him up...And I always wanted our house to be the go-to place, an idea that fell flat with DS17.

• Like 5

Homemade chili, biscuits, chips ahoy cookies, and Sprite :huh:

Yesterday's conversation with DS14:

Him: "Mom, can I get together with my friends New Year's Eve to play Magic?" (Magic, the Gathering, is their go-to card game.)

Me: "Sure!" (Assumes they have plans to gather at someone else's house since they have already spent several days of break playing and eating here.)

Him: "Great! They will be here from 5 until midnight. Maybe you can make..." See menu above.

On the upside, DH and I won't have to drive out at midnight to pick him up...And I always wanted our house to be the go-to place, an idea that fell flat with DS17.

Our house has become the go-to place for DS15 and his friends. This means a lot of sleepovers with several teen boys  and an absurd amount of extra food being purchased constantly.

• Like 3

Complete junk, lol! I'm starting a diet Tuesday so going out with a bang. We'll have several apps inc pigs in a blanket. For dinner ziti, broccoli, and chicken; sausage and peppers; and meatballs. Eclairs and assorted cookies/brownies for dessert. Tomorrow eggs, bacon and biscuits. I will be ready for clean eating after all that!!

• Like 1

Thanks to my Trader Joe's thread, I'm making:

Cranberry Camembert puff pastry

Samosas

Macaroons

Greek puff pastry wheels

Plus pigs-in-blanket and sparkling grape juice. And peanut butter Hershey kiss cookies.

Those Cranberry Camembert puffs are soooo good!

We did finger food lunch- pigs in a blanket, chicken pesto filo puffs, pizza bagel bites- and will grab In-n-Out and Baskin Robbins for dinner.

Here you go:

Broccoli Casserole

2 packages frozen chopped broccoli

1 cup mayo

2 eggs

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 can cream of mushroom soup

Defrost broccoli in microwave.  Mix eggs, mayo, and cream of mushroom soup.  Fold in chopped broccoli and cheddar cheese.  Place in a greased 8x8 pan.  Bake at 325 for at least an hour.....sometimes it does take longer.  Just make sure it's not "oozy".

Thanks!  I love broccoli and I love cheese, so this sounds good.  :) 

We ended up with

shrimp cocktail

queso dip with ground beef

olives

mini quiches

I called the salsa, chiles and tomatoes in the dip our vegetable. 

Dessert was cookies and panettone. 

I had an amaretto & soda with a twist of lime, and then some amaretto in hot tea because it helps sooth my cough. :-)

Today we are having a big spinach salad for lunch, and a quick/easy version of Hoppin' John for dinner.  I have to get back to eating lower carb. 

I decided to go with the Instant Pot carnitas today. Last night kids were all out so I joined a friend and I went simple with a plate of good cheese, sausage, dates, glazed pecans, chips and salsa, sliced apples, veggie chips, and champagne. It was simple to prep, and nice to munch on while visiting. 

I like to cook, but I've never done wings before. So I'm experimenting with this recipe tonight: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/buffalo_wings/ But with broccoli and carrots rather than celery (the store was out!). We'll have some empanadas I made the other day and froze for lunch. Sometime along there I will melt some cheese and chipotle sauce for nachos, because dh thinks it isn't New Year's without nachos. I also have a Caesar salad kit in the fridge that I might mix up if it looks like we aren't eating enough veggies.