Menu

What are you having for New Year's Eve food?

SparklyUnicorn

Simple, but fun. Adults only here.

A nice cheese and salami spread. We've got a round of Brie in the fridge-- baked Brie with some good crackers. A neighbor gave us a jalapeno salami--we have either a nice Chardonnay pinot gigot to open if we want. 

I'll pick up some fruit and maybe another type of cheese or three. 

It's supposed to be super cold so a pot of chicken and veggie soup is always a possibility. 

Edited by Happy
  • Like 2

I'm stumped.  We did appetizers for Christmas Eve.  I have most of a brie in the fridge but it's a little old and tastes good to me but my son (brie-lover) said it is too ripe for him. I do have some frozen shrimp and half a box of mini quiches (first half eaten on Christmas Eve).   We also did salami/cheese/baguette on Christmas Eve.  I just don't want a repeat of the same dang food.  

• Like 1

We are having a family game night, so mostly snack foods: mozzarella sticks, taco dip, mini pizza bites, mini quiches, chips, and meatballs.  It is an odd combination, but this way everyone has at least one or two things they really like.  We will also have lots of sparkling cider to drink.

I am thinking about making an apple pie or chocolate cake also, but we have had so many sweets and junk food I am not sure I want to do that.

• Like 5

We are having a family game night, so mostly snack foods: mozzarella sticks, taco dip, mini pizza bites, mini quiches, chips, and meatballs.  It is an odd combination, but this way everyone has at least one or two things they really like.  We will also have lots of sparkling cider to drink.

I am thinking about making an apple pie or chocolate cake also, but we have had so many sweets and junk food I am not sure I want to do that.

This is the sort of thing I usually do.

We have a tradition that my crew and I make homemade donuts sometime between the week of Christmas & New Years.  Since that hasn't happened, we decided to make them for New Years and then use the grease for a healthy (not!) round of our favorite homemade fried foods.  Consisting of which are baconator fries, mozarella sticks, crab rangoon, onion rings and chicken wings.  I might throw in some fresh veggies & dip to round it out. :lol:

• Like 2

I could be mistaken, but I believe the plan is for a pot of red beans and sausage to go on in the morning. It cooks all day while everyone is going out skiing and sledding. That night we will eat with rice and cornbread.

My grandmothers tradition was black-eyed peas, but we prefer red beans Cajun style.

• Like 2

We do cheese fondue and Hoppin' John Risotto.

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-hoppin-john-risotto-with-collard-pesto-recipes-from-the-kitchn-182045

This year I will skip the collard pesto as no one liked it much and go with jarred pesto from Trader Joe's. I should probably add some cut up veggies or a salad. We have been enjoying baby arugula with pomegranate seeds, so maybe that.

For dessert, an idea I got from WTM a few years ago -- hot chocolate bar. Special hot chocolates plus candy canes, marshmallows, sprinkles, chocolate and vanilla whipped creams out of a can. There are still lots of Christmas cookies and other sweet things around our house too.

• Like 1

I could be mistaken, but I believe the plan is for a pot of red beans and sausage to go on in the morning. It cooks all day while everyone is going out skiing and sledding. That night we will eat with rice and cornbread.

My grandmothers tradition was black-eyed peas, but we prefer red beans Cajun style.

Sounds delicious. Do you have a recipe? I am not from the south, but I love southern traditions.

Nothing special. The kids will be asleep and we don't really celebrate. Dh and I might get snacks, I hadn't thought of anything yet. dh makes awesome cream cheese wontons if he is up to it. He is attempting to quit smoking as soon as the rest of his cigarettes are gone, so we will how is doing then.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

This year, we will be doing a giant grilled seafood feast.  I have a bunch of lobster, crab, scallops, etc etc, that I got on clearance.  DH going to cook it all up on the grill and that's our dinner.  Then we are going to watch a kids movie, put the kids to bed early, and see if we can stay up past 10 lol.

For New Years Day, we are doing corned beef and cabbage. 

I doubt I could get my grill to turn on!  :laugh:

I wish we had not had pizza yesterday.  I could eat it again, but...

I am going to look up cream cheese wontons!  That sounds kind of fun.  We didn't have shrimp cocktail as part of Christmas Eve snack dinner, so I'll add that.  Baked stuffed jalapenos will work for my husband and me.  That's a vegetable!   And I'd forgotten about a package of dry chorizo I bought recently - I'll look for something to do with that. 

• Like 1

Can you share dh's famous hot cheese dip recipe with us? I already have the wine!

I will try to remember to ask him when he gets home. It's in his head. I know it has cream cheese, roasted red peppers (from a jar), Havarti, asiago and one other cheese but I can't remember what it is..... 

• Like 1

Well now I want everything on this thread! Yum!

We will probably have small bites of things: crab dip, artichoke dip, salsa, various meats and cheeses, olives. Probably some more cookies too. Maybe some sushi if I feel like making some. I went to aldi last night and bought various snacky sorts of foods for the next few days since I knew none of us really wanted to spend the last few days of vacation cooking.

I was going to make laghman but I don’t have it in me today after getting back last night from an international road trip. I have labnah balls, mint chocolate chip ice cream ready to churn, and I’ll make a chocolate cake. Other than that, I’m not really sure what we’ll eat. Maybe a different type of long noodle dish? I like to do noodles on New Years. But I need to decide soon since people will be ready for dinner in an hour or two.

• Like 1