Menu

What immunizations are necessary for child age 5 (had some vax, but not fully vaxed)?

Dianne-TX

***No debate on vaxing, just advice on the info I need please.  Thank you.  I've so appreciated these boards over the years.***

DD5 (last child of 4) was not fully vaxed, but had some (I have her records filed, but don't know the specifics at the moment).  Is there a way to know which ones are the most important and just get those or finish those?  I waited on the MMR and want her to have that one.  Dtap is another one I want her to have or finish (she had doses of this one).  I know they are all considered important to the medical world and many parents, but there may be some that she doesn't need because she's past the age of concern for those illnesses or there are those that she really needs to have for life long immunity, etc.?  I just need info. like that so that I can decide what we are going to do.  I've referred to Dr. Sears in the past, but just haven't gotten around to getting his book from the library again and having the time to do the research.    

(Background... Unfortunately, our pedi office didn't work with me like they did with her brother (child #3) and wouldn't let me do one or two shots at a time.  Another dr. in the practice strictly followed APA rec's and pulled rank and we left.  We've been going to a GP since she was 18 months (they made an exception and started seeing her younger than age 2), but we have moved in the last few years and didn't finish vaxing while there.  Need to find new dr., but we've had other serious medical issues going on with another sibling in the last year that we've not figured that out yet.  Thankfully, we are getting past those issues, so now it's time to pick up where we left off with sister.  :)  Sigh.  Thanks again for advice.)   

There aren't any diseases that you outgrow. Chickenpox at 12 is just as itchy as chickenpox at 5 - and chickenpox at 27 is horrific! Measles at 20 is just as dangerous as measles at 8. Rotovirus at 15 is just as unpleasant as rotovirus at 2. (It might not kill you, but you'll wish it would.)

And all of those diseases, if she gets them at any age, are contagious. Even if she isn't very much affected by a bout with diphtheria, say, she could pass it on to another child or adult, perhaps one with a compromised immune system, somebody who DOES get very sick and possibly dies.

You really need to figure out what she's already had and speak to a doctor about the best gameplan for getting her up to speed. The only ones she doesn't need are those which are not routinely recommended where you live. For example, if you live in the USA you probably haven't ever been vaccinated against yellow fever, because we no longer have yellow fever here.

• Like 2

If you go to the nih website - https://www2a.cdc.gov/nip/kidstuff/newscheduler_le/

https://www.vacscheduler.org/index.html

It has an interactive feature where you put in date of birth, vaccines already had, and it will say what is needed (and doses/schedule). It will already remove ones she is too old for.

ETA - I think the second link is the catch up, the first is just the regular schedule, but I left it anyway.

Edited by displace
  • Like 9

I'd say the best way to know is to ask your new pediatrician, but that's because I'm kind of lazy. You can also try to figure out the recommendations yourself. The CDC has a schedule for catching up.

Did you have your daughter's records transferred to the GP at 18 months? I would check with the GP to see if they still have her records and can get them to you.

ETA: the above link is better than mine; go there! Several of my cousins did have to catch up on immunizations after not being vaccinated at all during infancy, FWIW, and were perfectly fine if a bit irked getting heaps at once. I just don't know the exact details of what they had to get, or how many office visits it took. I have missed a few well-child/immunization visits myself for one of my kids, and they always were able to work with me how we'd catch up-- pediatrician offices are used to this, I mean to say, so you shouldn't feel terribly embarrassed or alone here. They are (or should be) happy that you are there now and willing to work with them.

Edited by fralala
  • Like 2

Rotavirus isn't given past the first year so cross that one off.

Some of them (I think hep B?) fewer doses are needed if children are older.

I think there is one other that is only recommended or authorized for infants/toddlers.

I've done catch up with some of mine, most doctors are fine with looking at what you have and making recommendations.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

I’d go with one of two routes - the catch up schedule lnked above or talking with your doctor about their recommendatikns for catching up.

Also, most states have a vaccine registry so unless you’ve specifically opted out, you should be able to look up your child’s vaccine history there which is maybe quicker than tracking down your own records.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 1

Just so you know, there are legitimately some vaccines that you cannot give at the same time or within a certain time frame. The live vaccines, like mmr and chicken pox. But many of the inactive ones are all together in one shot now, so that shouldn’t be an issue. But the combo shots still need to be spaced 4 weeks apart for optimal immune response

All the many rules regarding how many doses at whatever age based on previous doses are here: https://www.aap.org/en-us/Documents/immunizationschedule2017.pdf

• Like 2

I’d go with one of two routes - the catch up schedule lnked above or talking with your doctor about their recommendatikns for catching up.

Also, most states have a vaccine registry so unless you’ve specifically opted out, you should be able to look up your child’s vaccine history there which is maybe quicker than tracking down your own records.

When DD applied to college I discovered that although my state has a vaccine registry, not all doctors submit to it. WTH?  What's the point of having it if not all doctors use it?  So it had some of her vax but not all.

OP, do make sure you get your records straightened out and accurate.  Your kids will need them later in life.

• Like 3

It isn't really clear on some of these because it depends on when other immunizations were given, but this is my best summary:

HepB - Unvaccinated persons should complete a 3–dose series. (minimum interval of 4 weeks?)

DTap (Diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis) - 4-dose series, 4 weeks - 6 months apart, may switch to a Tdap after age 7 and then Td after that. 

IPV (inactivated polio virus) - 3-dose series with four weeks between the first two doses & 6 months between the 2nd & 3rd dose

MMR - two shots at least 4 weeks apart

VAR (chickenpox) - two shots at least 3 months apart

HepA - For any person aged 2 years and older who has not already received the HepA vaccine series, 2 doses of HepA vaccine separated by a minimums of 6 months may be administered if immunity against hepatitis A virus infection is desired.

Rotavirus - not needed (The maximum age for the final dose in the series is 8 months, 0 days.)

Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b - Hib vaccine is not routinely recommended for patients 5 years or older. For unvaccinated children aged 15–59 months, administer only 1 dose.

Pneumococcal - Administer 1 dose of PCV13 to all healthy children aged 24 through 59 months who are not completely vaccinated for their age.

I don't know if our state has an immunization registry, but if it does, we've opted out. I keep track of all of ours myself, but if we had a house fire, I'd have to rely on our pediatrician's records.

• Like 3

Look at the CDC catch up vaccine schedule for doctors. It’s complicated, and you have to read it very carefully, but there are vaccines that you need less of after a certain age. Some, like rotavirus, they don’t give after a certain age. For example dtAP, you only need 1 shot after age 7. I read through it very very carefully and constructed my own catch up schedule for dd. Not all doctors know the recommendations and may try to have you do the whole series.

• Like 1

I also created my own schedule.  I learned that most providers have zero experience with a delayed schedule.  One office wanted me to start everything all over because it had been more than the MINIMUM  interval between vaccines!  

I called and talked to the CDC.(2 times)  A series never needs to be restarted due to delay.  The CDC was very helpful and I follow their catch up schedule.  

My dd had cancer and went through chemo and no one in the house could be administered live vaccines. In addition, my surviving children have large local reactions (like softball sized reactions) which require us to pre-administer steroids, have epi-pens on hand, etc. and only do one vaccine at a time for certain vaccines.  We use the CDC catch-up schedule and come in more frequently for injection-only appointments (ie, every 3 months to do one vaccine rather than 4-5 vaccines once a year).

Texas has very high incidences of hepatitis compared to other states.  I'd be sure to get those in.  

• Like 1

I would start with the diseases that are (A) have high risk of mortality or serious complications (B) are spread via casual contact and ( C ) still have regular outbreaks in this country. So measles would have a higher priority than polio (not common in this part of the world) or Hep B (not spread via casual contact).

Dr. Sears' delayed schedule is listed here. I disagree with some of his recommendations but you said no debate.

• Like 2