Menu

Sci fi shows like Star Trek, Stargate etc?

Tap

What other shows are like these? I need something new to sleep to. LOL (I watch a series and then let it play while I sleep when I know the plots so they don't keep me up with curiosity.)  I sleep best to alien, off world shows.  I find they don't work themselves in to my dreams so they don't contribute to my nightmare problem, but i "sleep-watch" other shows too.

Star Trek (all variations)

Stargate (al variations)

Battlestar Galactica

Ascension

Firefly

Extant

Haven

Warehouse 13

----not these shows---

Fringe (too violent)

Farscape

RedDwarf

Babylon 5

Dr Who--(bored with it, too silly)

Torchwood--(too much sx and gore for the story value) 

Once Upon a Time 

Broadchurch (can't sleep to detective stories)

Sherlock (ditto)

Lost (ditto)

Eureka (at the tipping point of too much silliness)

Almighty Johnsons (ditto)

Orphan Black 

Stranger Things

In general... I am pretty much looking for Sci-fi alien shows. no comedy, detective shows.police shows, apocalyptic shows, zombies, war or gore. I am prone to nightmares multiple times per night and that is why I leave tv on while I sleep.  I wake up from a nightmare, listen to the TV to clear my mind, and then can go back to sleep. I like to avoid shows that add to the nightmares LOL  TV shows work way better than movies, because I can just let the series run until my computer dies.

I am watchin Dark Matter right now, so we will see how that goes.

• Like 1

My favorite genre, too.

Defiance is on Amazon Prime. It’s about on level without Firefly for gore, and in that same cheesy western sci fi theme.

Falling Skies - not off world, but aliens. Ditto for Colony.

Those are a different ilk from Star Trek though - more fighting of aliens, less meet and greet and no prime directive.

Coming back with more after coffee kicks in....

• Like 1

I know you said no detective stories, but I'm going to suggest one anyway -- Psych. All eight seasons are on amazon prime right now and I find it fits a similar niche for me. It's not suspenseful and you don't have to even follow the plots. It's funny but predictable. Good sleepy-time watching.

• Like 2

I fall asleep to shows, too. Last year I began listening to the Enterprise engine as white noise and it worked like a charm. There are a variety of engines to listen to (one from every series) and they vary in length from just a few minutes to well over an hour.

The Orville is funny but it is rather crass. I hope they clean it up a bit for the second season. I'm not holding my breath, though, with Seth Rogan at the helm.

• Like 1

The Orville is funny but it is rather crass. I hope they clean it up a bit for the second season. I'm not holding my breath, though, with Seth Rogan at the helm.

I do hold out hope. I feel like it's gotten way less crass just within the first season. One of the most recent episodes I found downright sweet. The show has such a good heart, I find I'm giving it way more leeway with a bit of off-color than I normally would.

• Like 2

Love your first list, some of my favorite shows. Based on it, I can't think of too many to suggest.

Sliders is on earth, but has a similar feel to Stargate in terms of exploration so that might work

Maybe Eureka? It's on-world, sci-fi in terms of genius scientists, but overall more fun than serious.

• Like 2

Have you tried The Orville? I don't like Family Guy so I was concerned that the creator ( sorry, I can't remember his name) was going to use the same humor. But we have been pleasantly surprised. You can tell he cares about the material and puts effort into it, rather than just throw away raunchy jokes. My Star Trek loving dh says it's more in keeping with the spirit of Star Trek than the newest Star Trek.

Edited by BigMamaBird
  • Like 2

Primeval, maybe

Dark Matter is actually really good but got cancelled after 3 seasons

I just binged Travelers season 2 but it's not off world  

One plus is season 2 has a lot of Amanda Tapping and see if you recognize Trevor's mom.

Librarians is good too

Primeval is a ton of fun, really enjoyed it!

• Like 2

Alien Nation? Haven't watched since I was a kid, but I have fond memories.

I fall asleep to Supernatural most night :) If you look at the angels and demons as aliens, it could count.  Their characterizations of the main players (including big parts for God , Michael, Gabriel, Metatron and Lucifer) are  so far removed from the source material -- deliberately IMO -- that it definitely falls into the 'fantasy' category, at least.